West Utica in the 70s-who/what do you...
SueNY

Utica, NY

#718 Jun 15, 2013
Super Mighty Mouse wrote:
Any one remember Deller's on Erie Street? They had the best beer-battered fish fry, Can't remember the name of the owners. I believe they had a daughter. She lived in a cute house right across the street from Deller's. Everyone called her "Cookie".
The "Cookie" I know lived across the street from the Anchor Inn. She had 3 sons I think. Her sister & brother-in-law ran the Anchor.
West Utican

New York, NY

#719 Jun 15, 2013
You are right on Anchor Inn also well known for fish fry. Don't recall Dellers having that reputation. German food mostly. If I recall it burned down in the mid 70's.
Dick Owens

Utica, NY

#720 Jun 15, 2013
Remember Benson's Drug Store...how about Joe (Alberico) diner. McCoys Hardware & Nick Flutie's knick knack store. Dowe's Market forever, Servatius Hardware & Paint. Damiano's Market. All these places were located within a block and one half.
Those were the days when I worked after school in both McCoys Hardware, and prior to that at Sidney Benson's Drug Store. My top pay was $1.75 per hour in the late 50's. After college my first job in 1961 was in the engineering department for the city of Utica for a whopping 3200.00 per year and then on to the NYS Engineering Department for a huge $3600.00 starting salary.
Of course you could go to McDonald's in Whitesboro when they opened and get 3 cheeseburgs, fries, and a milkshake and get change back for your $1.00. because the total was $0.92!
West Utican

New York, NY

#721 Jun 15, 2013
Damianos is still open

Level 6

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#722 Jun 15, 2013
I REMEMBER Deller's but not the daughter.

Level 5

Location hidden

#723 Jun 17, 2013
SueNY wrote:
<quoted text> The "Cookie" I know lived across the street from the Anchor Inn. She had 3 sons I think. Her sister & brother-in-law ran the Anchor.
You are right. It was Anchor Inn. Do you remember the last name of the couple who ran it?
Jason St

Utica, NY

#724 Jun 17, 2013
Polish. Began with an "S".
West Utican

Irvington, NJ

#725 Jun 17, 2013
Name was Swierczek. Frank and Janet

Level 7

Since: Apr 13

Utica, NY

#726 Jun 23, 2013
Anyone remember "The Circle" down by the old Globe Mill?
Dawn

Clinton, NY

#727 Jun 23, 2013
Meghan wrote:
I grew up in West Utica in the 70s. I can remember Hoffmans Drug Store and Mamie's Luncheonette on the corner of Lenox/Noyes Sts. Cardinales grocery on City St. Greens store on Martin/Oak St.
Macner's pub on Lenox Ave. Washington school where most of us used to hang out. Mr Softee ice cream truck. Anyone care to share their memories??
does any one remember Chicago Phneumatics on bleeker st
Al Owens

Utica, NY

#728 Jun 23, 2013
i used to work there b4 they closed now im @ lowes
Winds Of Change

Utica, NY

#729 Jun 23, 2013
meghan61 wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably because everything in our lives is either disposable or impersonal. We use the web ,iphones, facebook for communication there is very little personal contact. No more community, people just dont get together anymore. Before we had hi tech communication we had to see each other. Very few families cook or eat meals together. Most of us just go to dd for our morning coffee.
To a degree you are correct and thats part of it. I feel its a more personal accountability type of thing. Ppl i have come to understand in my years are more "pack minded" than i give them credit for. Society by and large has been "dumbed down" and have a tendency to go for the quick fix vs. having to put any thought into basically anything. Multi-media, trends, personalities impress your average person today because image instead of expressing who we are personally seems to rule the day. Just these fews things i have mentioned here have caused such a huge breakdown in the basic expression of community and love of thy next person i dont think we will ever be what we once were. As you said the simple things in life have become extremely complex.

Level 6

Location hidden

#730 Jun 24, 2013
West Utican wrote:
Name was Swierczek. Frank and Janet
Thanks, I drove by yesterday and that cute little house is up for sale.
Dawn

Clinton, NY

#731 Jun 24, 2013
Al Owens wrote:
i used to work there b4 they closed now im @ lowes
. Oh wow funny I worked there to. On the automotive side. I met so many fun people and really lived it up there. Wish It was still open. Such a sad day when it closed.

Level 6

Location hidden

#732 Jun 25, 2013
annie

New Hartford, NY

#733 Jun 25, 2013
snopper wrote:
I lived in west utica for many years and I remember the Globe Mill--believe it or not, for a clothing store, they had some of the best soft serve I have ever had. I don't remember the Circle. Tell me about it.

Level 5

Location hidden

#734 Jun 27, 2013
annie wrote:
<quoted text>
I lived in west utica for many years and I remember the Globe Mill--believe it or not, for a clothing store, they had some of the best soft serve I have ever had. I don't remember the Circle. Tell me about it.
It was a bar that my husband would go to visit friends. One night he stayed out later than usual. I Called "The Circle" and asked for my husband. they said he was not there. I them that I had a friend that could see his car there. W"hen my husband got home I told him what had happened
t their was no where that
you could view the cars., 1961, 1962' He was a good shuffleboard played. he also played cards and won money. that!s how. We bought food.
No Women

Utica, NY

#735 Jun 28, 2013
There was Jarema's across from the Globe Mill. It was a brown bldg. Women had to go thru an alley in the side to get in.
jjjjjjjjjjj

New Hartford, NY

#736 Jun 29, 2013
No Women wrote:
There was Jarema's across from the Globe Mill. It was a brown bldg. Women had to go thru an alley in the side to get in.
There was a restaurant called the Stanley in that neighborhood across the street that women were only allowed to enter through a side door and were not allowed to go through the door that opened into the bar. I remember my mom took me there once to get a sandwich after shopping and she made the mistake of using the wrong door. They told her she had to go in the other way and they were not nice about it. That was the first and last time we ever went there and I don't think my mom ever forgot that. That had to be in the 1960's.
811 Varick St

Utica, NY

#737 Jun 29, 2013
jjjjjjjjjjj wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a restaurant called the Stanley in that neighborhood across the street that women were only allowed to enter through a side door and were not allowed to go through the door that opened into the bar. I remember my mom took me there once to get a sandwich after shopping and she made the mistake of using the wrong door. They told her she had to go in the other way and they were not nice about it. That was the first and last time we ever went there and I don't think my mom ever forgot that. That had to be in the 1960's.
Stanley's is still there. Corner of Court & Huntington.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teachers need to be drug tested ! 3 hr Megan 13
Don Trump is another Ed Hanna 3 hr combunder 26
Last 3 Letters of a word into 3 new words. (Dec '09) 4 hr Honest Babe 2,034
Does Oneida County need 2 County Buildings? 12 hr bananna 4
hillary clinton WILL be the next president 13 hr meo 38
God Loves you 13 hr cookcirasulo 1
Another home invasion 14 hr linc 28
Irish festival 14 hr What 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance