West Utica in the 70s-who/what do you...
neighbor

Syracuse, NY

#656 Mar 24, 2013
CORNELL MAYE wrote:
Happy New Year to all!
My family phurased their home in west utica in the early 60's, I REMEMBER BEING THE 1ST BLACK kid in west utica and no one looking like me. History will show you that I was the 1st black kid to go to washington school, most of my friends were polish because at the time the neighborhood was predominantly polish. The homes were all very well kept, how did our public officials let things get to the way they are now! someone droped the ball.
Under Ed Hanna we tried to turn things around, but utica proved that self serving politicians only have their own intrest at heart! Utica could have been a great place to live if only had the right people stayed in power long enough to bring about change. Say what you want about Ed Hanna but your streets were clean and progress could be seen.
ill second that you guys were great neighbors and ed Hannah was the best mayor this city will ever see...thanx Cornell for the post hope all is well. Wait it has to be you were smart and got out of this sewer.
Blastfromthepast

United States

#657 Mar 24, 2013
I'm an "getting old" and probably bitter man. I remember the days of my youth in West Utica. What was a simple, good era filled with hope over the years has turned into a rotten decayed hole. Where we had families that were involved, even in poverty, are misguided trash punks. Where we had pride and kinship, there is drugs and garbage. I am thankful for the experiences I had growing up in West Utica and all of the great people who made such an impression on me. It's really stupid, but all I can think of is Eddie Moneys song "I want to go back", back when people were decent. I wish I could have for a day the old West Utica days of playing at Addison Miller, meeting up with all of my friends walking to Washington School, goofing around at Cardinale's or Van's, or playing in the streets until "the street lights went on" and we had to be home. Some things that are lost are treasures that we will never get back.
Blastfromthepast

United States

#658 Mar 24, 2013
I would have never thought memories like that would have been able to strike so deep.
Blastfromthepast

United States

#659 Mar 24, 2013
and the idiots keep posting blathering stupidity. where did everything go so wrong?
Winds Of Change

Little Falls, NY

#660 Mar 25, 2013
We can cite all sorts of things that have gone wrong. I just chalk it up to being the "End Times" and watch society unravel.

The few ppl and family i relate to or hang out with long for the past, i think about and and do take a certain amount of comfort as all of you in those good ole' days and friendships but things will ever be the same.

As i grow old i try to stay hip to whats going on in todays culture just so i feel like i fit in in my own mind and that helps. Try to stay current even if you dont care for any of it because things are in flux and moving very fast.
Blastfromthepast

United States

#661 Mar 26, 2013
I suppose. We have to take our lives and families out of what's left of where we grew up. I personally don't want anything to do with what's growing there now. Inner cities are a mess and only going to get worse. This was a very good thread and I'm grateful I found it amongst the cretins on this site. It could be a good site if it wasn't for the morons. People are really screwed up now. These idiotic posts are pathetic. Glad a few good people are still around.
jerks

Utica, NY

#662 Mar 26, 2013
Blastfromthepast wrote:
I'm an "getting old" and probably bitter man. I remember the days of my youth in West Utica. What was a simple, good era filled with hope over the years has turned into a rotten decayed hole. Where we had families that were involved, even in poverty, are misguided trash punks. Where we had pride and kinship, there is drugs and garbage. I am thankful for the experiences I had growing up in West Utica and all of the great people who made such an impression on me. It's really stupid, but all I can think of is Eddie Moneys song "I want to go back", back when people were decent. I wish I could have for a day the old West Utica days of playing at Addison Miller, meeting up with all of my friends walking to Washington School, goofing around at Cardinale's or Van's, or playing in the streets until "the street lights went on" and we had to be home. Some things that are lost are treasures that we will never get back.
You sound like someone I grew up with. I did all those things, including the street lights and Cardinales. I also remember the noon whistle at the brewery. You could just about hear it up by Washington School.
Winds Of Change

Little Falls, NY

#663 Mar 26, 2013
Blastfromthepast wrote:
I suppose. We have to take our lives and families out of what's left of where we grew up. I personally don't want anything to do with what's growing there now. Inner cities are a mess and only going to get worse. This was a very good thread and I'm grateful I found it amongst the cretins on this site. It could be a good site if it wasn't for the morons. People are really screwed up now. These idiotic posts are pathetic. Glad a few good people are still around.
Agreed and i still live in the west end on a very quiet street for which im very thankfull for.

I guess one could say my post isnt all that coherent and logical but i dont post this useless strange stuff that some may consider fun or whatever. I dont visit this site much anymore for that reason and its seems the more square, honest or logical one is the more these pranksters attack. Kinda of a direct reflection of some of the problems with our world today.
help us all

Syracuse, NY

#664 Mar 26, 2013
GHR wrote:
I grew up in East Utica and have many fond memories. It's nice to see others feel the same. Utica used to be a great place to live.
Used to be....so sad
Sad But True

Utica, NY

#665 Mar 26, 2013
help us all wrote:
<quoted text>
Used to be....so sad
1/2 of Utica is all shot now.
Winds Of Change

Little Falls, NY

#666 Mar 27, 2013
I still enjoy certain aspects of the city. Its nice to ride around on my scoot on Sunday afternoons in the summer, or early evening cause i feel like the only person in the city and its refreshing. I park in front of the old YMCA by the clock sit on the steps have a smoke and just think about life, thats cool.
Kitty Bee

Tully, NY

#667 Mar 28, 2013
Wow! This is such a nice posting..........no hate, bigotry, nastiness, just fond memories of what this city was in a better time. Made me laugh, and made me wonder what the hell happened to people and the whole damn world. Back in the day, you could play in the streets till the streetlights came on, unsupervised. You wouldn't dare let your kids do that now. Remember how we'd play in the streets- often past dark- with parents sitting on porches, talking to their neighbors ? I remember going to "Upper Division College" in the old Globe Mill..........today it's SUNY I.T. I remember going to the Highland Theatre to see "The Tingler" and being scared out of my mind! Eating lunches while at Upper Division at the Rainbow Bar and Grill, and Partying at the Robin way into the wee hours.A kinder, gentler time, it seems.......
Jennie

Albany, NY

#668 Apr 6, 2013
Don't know if anyone still looks at this thread anymore - happened upon it looking for something on google. Anyway I was really interested in two mentions of stores owned by Robischons. As far as I know we are the only family of that name that ever lived in the Utica area and we never owned stores. Would really like to more about this as it is not a common name. Thanks.
stinkaroo

Utica, NY

#669 Apr 7, 2013
Jennie wrote:
Don't know if anyone still looks at this thread anymore - happened upon it looking for something on google. Anyway I was really interested in two mentions of stores owned by Robischons. As far as I know we are the only family of that name that ever lived in the Utica area and we never owned stores. Would really like to more about this as it is not a common name. Thanks.
Art Robischon and his brother owned a store kitty corner from St. Joseph's Church and school.. Art was a mean, miserable old cuss who hated everyone and everything. He mistreated the kids from school who would go there to buy candy, verbally abusing and yelling at them continually even though they touched nothing and stood there quietly trying to decide what they wanted. I stood there as an adult and watched all of this happen. I tried to tell him to tone it down, to no avail. His reputation as a hater was well known and no adult from that church or school would ever go in there--it was a filthy store, dirt everywhere. He died a mean, miserable old bastards, just like he lived. I wouldn't tell anyone my last name if I were you, the robischon's were reviled by many and I'm sure there is a kid out there who remembers what he did to them and would love to even the score. If I could, I would go piss on his grave.

Level 2

Since: Nov 12

Syracuse, NY

#670 Apr 7, 2013
mahannas/peters/tolpas/highlan d theater/klamperts/UTK/foodland /red robin/cardinelli's store/bazans bakery/vogels/tony sparangnas
811 Varick St

Utica, NY

#671 Apr 7, 2013
I remember Mason's Ice Cream store on Columbia St.
Teddys

Carthage, NY

#672 Apr 9, 2013
store on Henry/Hart Street.
scott coyle

Murrieta, CA

#673 May 12, 2013
John wrote:
<quoted text>
I lived for a time on Churchill and remember your sister Sherida. We went to UFA, same class. Mahanna's for a coke then to the Highland for a movie. Groceries at Bizarri's. Memory lane....
what is your last name John?
old tymer

Herkimer, NY

#674 May 13, 2013
scott coyle wrote:
<quoted text> what is your last name John?
But, do you remember Mender's market on the west side of the Highland theater?
Cheri

Stamford, CT

#675 May 14, 2013
Hey Cornell I was your neighbor and you had one the of the nicest families I have
ever met to this day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
he an sheboons SET PUPPIES ON FIRE GET 50 YEARS (Mar '16) 51 min super nylons 78
picking LICE OFF YOUR HEAD FOR DINNER THE AFRIC... 52 min taste 10
Toss Your Kid into Mohawk Like Jamyma Watermelon 54 min ring 8
attn 75 PERCENT OF THE WORLDS POOREST COUNTRIES... 57 min yum 33
Ex UPD cop Thad Kaczor gets BUTTSHAFTED on Keeler! 1 hr Perfect Karma 1
Dems and NY Corruption 1 hr Way to go Tazz 5
How many "Nano Factories" in Utica? (Mar '16) 1 hr zip 162
Nano Uodate 5 hr Nano has failed DEAl 112
Cuomo: Expect Nano Delays 5 hr Deplorable 32
House of the Good Shepherd ED doesn't have a de... 6 hr Nancy Grace 61
Republicans for Clinton 6 hr Democrats For Trump 19
Sad Marriages 11 hr Cybil 21

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages