WOW WEE wrote:
we sure do..and we still gf after 30 years..lol
Still going strong gf
FRIEND

Miami, FL

#636 Mar 3, 2013
Washington School wrote:
anyone remember Mrs. Lemmo???
yes she was my 5th grade teacher, cornell maye was in my class. Boy those days were great!

I would be to scared to walk in my old neighborhood now! Was a great place to live then.
FRIEND

Miami, FL

#637 Mar 3, 2013
The 2 Sues wrote:
I remember Cardinale's on City St.
I sure do. Also remember susan parker, had a crush on that gal. lol
pgh mike

Pittsburgh, PA

#638 Mar 4, 2013
It was Lemmo, Moyer, Antonuk on one side of the 2nd floor; 'havin a hard time recalling the two rooms & teachers flanking the water fountain on the other side of the hall. Was there a Borst? Mr. Mothy taught drums in the basement next to the boiler and industrial eraser cleaning vacuum. Cost 25 cents for a 15 minute lesson- duly recorded with pencil in Mothy's little notebook. I still have an Antonuk polka band album.
Sacred Heart Student

Bronx, NY

#639 Mar 8, 2013
Piano teacher: Miss Blatt.

Thank You! We were all weird and wonderful in the 70s. It was a great time to grow up. Does anyone remember the hair salon appropriately named "HAIR" on Genesee Street? A real Warren Beatty thing went on in there. And there was a boutique that sold groovy clothes for women and girls named "Bevs". And hobo bags from Reid Shelton and Kork Eze Platforms from Smith's Bootery. That was it for fashion but it was fine.
city

New Hartford, NY

#640 Mar 9, 2013
Anyone remember Oakies tree fort at the bottom of O'Brien ave.By addison miller.
So good

Utica, NY

#641 Mar 9, 2013
how about that candy store in that house on the corner of Obrien near Addison Miller? She used to sell penny candy.
joeb

Utica, NY

#642 Mar 16, 2013
Lisa wrote:
I grew up on brayton ave and whitesboro st and maynard ave...we moved alot! I always walked to fred's store to buy candy on whitesboro street. The old man that fed the squirrel's. Sledding at the mental hospital on the coal piles.LOL Swimming in that cement oval shaped pool and cutting myself on the glass. This would have been late 70's early 80's. I went to lincoln school and miss bell was the best teacher i ever had, i still have the snoopy plaque that she gave me. Playing red light green light and jump rope. Man....I MISS IT! I knew the wickman's and the sowich's and well...alot of kids on cherry street! Anyone?
vinnysiringo
joeb

Utica, NY

#643 Mar 16, 2013
how about vinny siringo
Scott Coyle

Temecula, CA

#644 Mar 17, 2013
So good wrote:
how about that candy store in that house on the corner of Obrien near Addison Miller? She used to sell penny candy.
Yes, I think it was called Aunt Turnie's? I went to Lincoln School and graduated in 1964. Jimmy Simpson. Sharon Foley, John Buszak (sp) Played little league at Bob Berney.
Scott Coyle

Temecula, CA

#645 Mar 17, 2013
Erik wrote:
<quoted text>
Spent many Saturday afternoons at the matinee at the Highland. Everbody was screaming so loud you could never hear the movie. It was great fun.
I lived up the street on Churchill avenue. I had three sisters. Pam and Sherida went to UFA
Blanche

Utica, NY

#646 Mar 17, 2013
Scott Coyle wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I think it was called Aunt Turnie's? I went to Lincoln School and graduated in 1964. Jimmy Simpson. Sharon Foley, John Buszak (sp) Played little league at Bob Berney.
I remember all those ppl from Kernan School.

Albert Radell, Dave Fernon, Rodney Miller, Irene Chudyk, Pat James,Patty Duda
Yep

Utica, NY

#648 Mar 18, 2013
joeb wrote:
how about vinny siringo
Vinny was a good dude, sad he left so early.
djdjdjdjd

New Hartford, NY

#649 Mar 19, 2013
remember the dapre family on city street, cathy johnson, those horrid huckabone brothers, dumka adzes, yeah good times
John

Utica, NY

#650 Mar 23, 2013
Meghan wrote:
I grew up in West Utica in the 70s. I can remember Hoffmans Drug Store and Mamie's Luncheonette on the corner of Lenox/Noyes Sts. Cardinales grocery on City St. Greens store on Martin/Oak St.
Macner's pub on Lenox Ave. Washington school where most of us used to hang out. Mr Softee ice cream truck. Anyone care to share their memories??
Wow, the story of my youth! We lived across the street from Tillie Greens on Oak, I picked up my Utica OD's to deliver at Mamie's and I hung out with the guys onthe steps in front of Cardinales. I still run into Norm Cardinale once in a while. Thanks for the memory!
John

Utica, NY

#651 Mar 23, 2013
Scott Coyle wrote:
<quoted text>I lived up the street on Churchill avenue. I had three sisters. Pam and Sherida went to UFA
I lived for a time on Churchill and remember your sister Sherida. We went to UFA, same class. Mahanna's for a coke then to the Highland for a movie. Groceries at Bizarri's. Memory lane....
John

Utica, NY

#652 Mar 23, 2013
The 2 Sues wrote:
I remember Cardinale's on City St.
The front steps of Cardinales was where all us guys hung out and pestered the girls as they walked by. I think they liked being pestered as sometimes they would walk back and forth 5 or 6 times!
Rubberbiscuit

United States

#653 Mar 23, 2013
I came back to Utica in 1976 and went to Washington School for 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th grade. Who was that kid who got his head stuck between the bars on the back steps of Washington school where we used to play tag on recess? I moved away and came back in my teen years. I remember playing manhunt, taking up whole city blocks with nothing off limits on Lenox Ave in the area of the Clarks house - Brian and Chuck. I went to school with Cornell's brother Johnny. It's so sad what it has turned into. Everything was so much simpler then. Corner candy stores, families that all knew each other. Reading this thread was bittersweet. Sad because it's gone and sweet because of the wonderful memories. Thank you all for your contributions to it.
Brian

United States

#654 Mar 23, 2013
There is such filth and disregard in that area and everywhere else now. It is really cool that people still can remember the innocent times and Mr's McNamara's 3rd Grade St Patrick's Day parade and the schools song. That was my childhood. Oh and Cardinale's grab bags. Those were the times.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Koguts suing SUNY Brockport 15 min just someone 28
Eagle Hill Dog Kennel (Apr '12) 17 min Horrified Dog Owner 51
Westmoreland Rd Elementary School Whitesboro - ... 36 min pdiddy 70
RCIL's Newest Addition Executive Director AKA T... 36 min Fact finder 262
Tony Stewart to face grand jury 41 min Dr Answer 9
NH new AD, you blew it already. 46 min The Captain 18
Lisa Fitzgerald 50 min wow 2
yanadasis closes club house 11 hr Dennis 33
Lou LaPolla Rest In Peace 12 hr Loopy Roefero 10
•••