West Utica in the 70s-who/what do you...
Lamphy

Utica, NY

#614 Jan 12, 2013
remember the 'short-cut' from Pixley to Addison Miller through the state hospital cow fields to Goodrich Ave.

remember the Phillipino boys who would come to the school yards and demonstrate yo-yo tricks and carvings on yo-yos?
Jim p

Boston, MA

#615 Jan 12, 2013
Little big red wrote:
I can recall a little shop in between Griffs and St. Joesph. It was like a toy/magic shop... What about the flea market on the end of Fass Ave. And Erie St. My first paychech came from Mele's ... I was only 16..
now that is all bars for all the losers in utica is is a sick place to be utica people think it is south beach ! Jerks .
Cure

Utica, NY

#616 Jan 12, 2013
Jim p wrote:
<quoted text>utica people think it is south beach ! Jerks .
No, they think it's Jersey Shore.
marie

New Hartford, NY

#617 Jan 12, 2013
memory wrote:
The Red Robin Bar.
I remember the Red Robin. Great memories. The big, ugly, red robin hand painted on the front door of that place. LOL. A great mix of kids from Upper Division college and some of the older locals. Everyone got along. I don't remember any fights the nights I went there. Pool for a quarter. To be that young again.
American Picker

New York, NY

#618 Jan 12, 2013
Central Electronics...Was a great place to look around for surplus electronics parts and stuff!
joe gottuso

Utica, NY

#619 Feb 3, 2013
their was a store on south st a cross from the gold top bakey wit was the name of it a utica cop owend it??????????
Wrong Way Corrigan

Utica, NY

#620 Feb 3, 2013
joe gottuso wrote:
their was a store on south st a cross from the gold top bakey wit was the name of it a utica cop owend it??????????
You should clean off your compass.
RedRobin

Utica, NY

#621 Feb 4, 2013
marie wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember the Red Robin. Great memories. The big, ugly, red robin hand painted on the front door of that place. LOL. A great mix of kids from Upper Division college and some of the older locals. Everyone got along. I don't remember any fights the nights I went there. Pool for a quarter. To be that young again.
and the "oil can" of Foster's Lager was $2.50
RedRobin

Utica, NY

#622 Feb 4, 2013
Little big red wrote:
I can recall a little shop in between Griffs and St. Joesph. It was like a toy/magic shop... What about the flea market on the end of Fass Ave. And Erie St. My first paychech came from Mele's ... I was only 16..
That little shop was the original Clemenete's location maybe? Or Corrigan's?

They sold restaurant order books for those who wanted to phony up reciepts for expense accounts.
Memories

Utica, NY

#623 Feb 4, 2013
Sacred Heart Student wrote:
Hey all you weirdos! Wow. This trip down memory lane is REAL! There were so many kids on my block growing up on Kellogg Ave between Caroline and Noyes Street. Huge families living in bungalow houses with one bathroom (LOL) and gardens in back. The Burtons, Savickis, Noeths, Austins, Knotts, Bogans, Wittes, Woodys, LaFlairs, Deckers, Babitz, and the Jadhons. The Purvis kids were wild and beautiful (Hank (RIP) Gail Maryann and Kermit). Does anyone remember the name of the piano teacher on Churchill Ave near Pixley Playground? My brother and I used to go there on our lunch break from Sacred Heart and get lessons for $4.00. Sacred Heart Teachers: Sister Marie, Mrs. Gaudin, Sister Catherine, Sister Marina, Miss Maine, Mrs. Klaussner, Mr. Dempsy, Mrs. Mazzola, Sister Eileen-McAnn.
Piano teacher: Miss Blatt.
Night Swimmer

New York, NY

#624 Mar 1, 2013
John Mazurowski wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember this billiards hall on I think Columbia St.
It was called the Blue Star, on the 2nd floor
Night Swimmer

New York, NY

#625 Mar 1, 2013
It was called Blue Star, it was on the 2nd floor
Night Swimmer

New York, NY

#626 Mar 1, 2013
And all our dogs followed us to Washington School in the 1950's, met their dog friends, and then did their thing. Bosserts whistle would go off at noon everyday. There was a girls entrance and a boys entrance. And Mr. Houlihan was the gym teacher who came by twice a week. Gym class was indoors in the winter, in the classroom as there was no gym, so we played eraser tag! Didnt burn off too many calories passing the eraser down the row and back. But we loved it.

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Schenectady, NY

#627 Mar 1, 2013
My grandmother used to live on Schuyler st right smack in front of the brewery. As a kid I remember the trolley going by on the train tracks. She also used to wait tables at dellers restaurant and would give me ice cream shaped like small bricks from there.
ADK Fan

Boonville, NY

#628 Mar 1, 2013
Tom and Nellies Diner I do remember they were awesome people ,,still missed to this day,,
ADK Fan

Boonville, NY

#629 Mar 1, 2013
Lisa wrote:
I grew up on brayton ave and whitesboro st and maynard ave...we moved alot! I always walked to fred's store to buy candy on whitesboro street. The old man that fed the squirrel's. Sledding at the mental hospital on the coal piles.LOL Swimming in that cement oval shaped pool and cutting myself on the glass. This would have been late 70's early 80's. I went to lincoln school and miss bell was the best teacher i ever had, i still have the snoopy plaque that she gave me. Playing red light green light and jump rope. Man....I MISS IT! I knew the wickman's and the sowich's and well...alot of kids on cherry street! Anyone?
loved miss Bell she was my favorite teacher in lincoln school I also grew up on Mathews ave myself,,,,Earl Sowich and myself grew up rollar skateing,,,small world,,FREDS STORE WAS PETERS HE WAS A GREAT GUY
wow wee

Gloversville, NY

#630 Mar 1, 2013
I grew up in west utica on Mathews ave. We had great times.With sherck, Manley, Smith,Imudo, curry,Brown, Alsante,King,Shringo, shore,Madore,Chason,Jones,Curt is & many more. Went to Lincoln school, Kernan,Then to UFA.I remember Mrs Shore was crossing guard for years at Lincoln school and she was one of nicest people. Never forget her. It was great place to live back then.
ADK Fan

Boonville, NY

#631 Mar 2, 2013
wow wee wrote:
I grew up in west utica on Mathews ave. We had great times.With sherck, Manley, Smith,Imudo, curry,Brown, Alsante,King,Shringo, shore,Madore,Chason,Jones,Curt is & many more. Went to Lincoln school, Kernan,Then to UFA.I remember Mrs Shore was crossing guard for years at Lincoln school and she was one of nicest people. Never forget her. It was great place to live back then.
>>>>>>>al so grew up on mathews ave all the people u named i grew up with and know very well mrs shore made us christmas ornaments with our first letter of our name on it,,,who are you sure we know each other!
WOW WEE

Gloversville, NY

#632 Mar 2, 2013
we sure do..and we still gf after 30 years..lol
Washington School

Cortland, NY

#633 Mar 2, 2013
anyone remember Mrs. Lemmo???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bogus new jobs with nano tech 4 hr Zak 134
Welfare to Work Program 7 hr Gaggy 22
What does being "SUCCESSFUL" in Life mean to YOU? 8 hr Joe 5
Jill Reale of WKTV (Jan '09) 10 hr Turning Channel 247
linda fatata for mayor???? 11 hr Lou 6
Teachers have Cadilac Pensions? (Jan '13) 14 hr Neighbor 344
stupid local politicians 15 hr bill 1
How to defeat the police licence plate readers: (Jul '10) 20 hr all idots must dw... 196
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages