West Utica in the 70s-who/what do you...

Level 1

Since: May 12

Pittsburgh, PA

#594 Jun 14, 2012
Going up this weekend ... to help my parents in New Hartford.

I still have vivid memories of the monster furnace your home had.

Also, that hedge row along Mt. View supplied great flexible sticks for launching apples at each other.

Tell your sibs that we should meet whenever.
Lisa

Utica, NY

#595 Jun 22, 2012
I grew up on brayton ave and whitesboro st and maynard ave...we moved alot! I always walked to fred's store to buy candy on whitesboro street. The old man that fed the squirrel's. Sledding at the mental hospital on the coal piles.LOL Swimming in that cement oval shaped pool and cutting myself on the glass. This would have been late 70's early 80's. I went to lincoln school and miss bell was the best teacher i ever had, i still have the snoopy plaque that she gave me. Playing red light green light and jump rope. Man....I MISS IT! I knew the wickman's and the sowich's and well...alot of kids on cherry street! Anyone?
Scott Coyle

Murrieta, CA

#596 Jul 17, 2012
John Mazurowski wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow me too from 1971-1989 on Warren St and Green St
Did your dad grow up on Churchill Avenue?
Little big red

United States

#597 Jul 21, 2012
I can recall a little shop in between Griffs and St. Joesph. It was like a toy/magic shop... What about the flea market on the end of Fass Ave. And Erie St. My first paychech came from Mele's ... I was only 16..
Little big red

United States

#598 Jul 21, 2012
Wat about St.Paddys down Varick St??? Brewry tours and the Trolley ride.... Awsome!
teacherchik

Gouverneur, NY

#599 Aug 31, 2012
Does anybody remember which downtown store had the beaded curtain that led to the basement where they had bargains?
Erik

New York, NY

#600 Nov 10, 2012
west Utica wrote:
I grew up in west Utica. I am however a bit older. I worked at the Highland Theater, Mender's Food Market, and Parker's Gulf at near the halfway bridge,when I was in high school @ UFA.This was the late fifties and early sixties. Attended 50th high school reunion for UFA last summer at Harts Hill last summer. Any body remember any of these landmarks?
Spent many Saturday afternoons at the matinee at the Highland. Everbody was screaming so loud you could never hear the movie. It was great fun.
the truth

United States

#601 Nov 12, 2012
NO BLACKS
I member

Herkimer, NY

#602 Nov 13, 2012
Jeanette was asking for help to paint her 'new' business.
remember

Hamilton, NY

#603 Nov 13, 2012
i remember al colp, my dad used to hang out with that crazy bastard
State

Syracuse, NY

#605 Dec 23, 2012
West Utica wrote:
Don't forget Koehler's and Dellers... Can't remember when Koehler's closed but Dellers was definitely open in the 70's...
Koehler's was still open in the early 70's but closed not long after that.
State

Syracuse, NY

#606 Dec 23, 2012
GHR wrote:
Does anyone remember the Park Grill? Where was it exactly and who owned it? Thanks.
The only Park Grill I remember was in Whitesboro -- I think it was run by Chowaniecs.
gary

United States

#607 Jan 7, 2013
Meghan wrote:
Vogels Bakery on Lenox Ave, Playing Hide and go seek in the street; the baseball field at Utica State Hospital; Swimming at Addison Miller and stopping at the laundrymat on York St next to Lyntons for popcorn. Who could forget playing Pom Pom Tackle at the schools.
Meghan You've brought back a lot of memories. Mamies was a hangout for a lot of us. Cardinals were old friends of the family. Kept in touch with Norman and Nick long after moving to CT. First lived across the street on the corner, then moved to Walnut. Thanks for the memories.
ADK

Fairfax, VA

#608 Jan 7, 2013
Rogers bike shop....neugents.....the "brown store".
memory

Philadelphia, PA

#609 Jan 8, 2013
The Red Robin Bar.
nh citizen

Boston, MA

#610 Jan 8, 2013
Rogers coffee shop on varick st.
Sacred Heart Student

Shirley, NY

#611 Jan 10, 2013
Hey all you weirdos! Wow. This trip down memory lane is REAL! There were so many kids on my block growing up on Kellogg Ave between Caroline and Noyes Street. Huge families living in bungalow houses with one bathroom (LOL) and gardens in back. The Burtons, Savickis, Noeths, Austins, Knotts, Bogans, Wittes, Woodys, LaFlairs, Deckers, Babitz, and the Jadhons. The Purvis kids were wild and beautiful (Hank (RIP) Gail Maryann and Kermit). Does anyone remember the name of the piano teacher on Churchill Ave near Pixley Playground? My brother and I used to go there on our lunch break from Sacred Heart and get lessons for $4.00. Sacred Heart Teachers: Sister Marie, Mrs. Gaudin, Sister Catherine, Sister Marina, Miss Maine, Mrs. Klaussner, Mr. Dempsy, Mrs. Mazzola, Sister Eileen-McAnn.
Mrs Mazzola

Herkimer, NY

#612 Jan 10, 2013
I was HOT!
zukowski

Herkimer, NY

#613 Jan 10, 2013
Wondering wrote:
DeSoppo's corner store Caroline St. and Ney Ave
Asfers penny candy
Addison Miller Pool
Pixley Playground..arts & crafts there in summer!
Kernan & Lincoln School Sacred Heart School UCA UFA
West End Seafood Skate a Rama
Games: spud, statues, freeze tag, tv tag,
Mr. Softee, the Book Mobile stopping on summer days!
Clate Wynn's store on corner of Ann St and Downer Ave. We would all play cards on the porch for money.
Lamphy

Herkimer, NY

#614 Jan 12, 2013
remember the 'short-cut' from Pixley to Addison Miller through the state hospital cow fields to Goodrich Ave.

remember the Phillipino boys who would come to the school yards and demonstrate yo-yo tricks and carvings on yo-yos?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boycott Keeler show sponsors 1 min not true 16
Who is funding the Aud renovations? 3 min Say What 59
Claudia Bad Mouthing 4 min Claudia Already Won 40
Utica NY's SCATHING Urban Dictionary Entries! -... 9 min Exposed Phonies 11
How many "Nano Factories" in Utica? (Mar '16) 11 min Fail some more 562
Keeler calls Joe Marino (Utica Councilman) out ... 14 min Utica loozerz 125
Police Cover-up in New Hartford 18 min Gleeful fun 95
Sexless Marriage 1 hr Happy Husband 23

Utica Jobs

More from around the web