West Utica in the 70s-who/what do you remember

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 45
Next Last
Meghan

Clinton, NY

#1 Dec 30, 2009
I grew up in West Utica in the 70s. I can remember Hoffmans Drug Store and Mamie's Luncheonette on the corner of Lenox/Noyes Sts. Cardinales grocery on City St. Greens store on Martin/Oak St.
Macner's pub on Lenox Ave. Washington school where most of us used to hang out. Mr Softee ice cream truck. Anyone care to share their memories??
Meghan

Clinton, NY

#2 Dec 30, 2009
I forgot to add Tolpa's Dairy on Stark Street.
Delivering the evening paper after school. Robischon's candy store on Columbia Street across from St Joseph/St Patrick Church.
huh

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Dec 31, 2009
Carm's Pharmacy on Varick? Hamlin and Scott Insurance @ Columbia and Varick,New York Bakery, Potter School, Ray Benson Chevrolet, Ventura's Shoe Repair,wow...great memories.
Good old days

New York, NY

#4 Dec 31, 2009
How about Skiba's on Lincoln Ave. & Teddy's on the cor of Hart & Henry. Two little stores where we used to stop after school (Holy Trinity). There was Nowak's right on the next corner with the greatest selection of penny candy. Of course, no one could ever forget Bazan's Bakery! We would go there every Sunday morning after church.
Utidelphia

Berwyn, PA

#5 Dec 31, 2009
Lived in West Utica in the late 70's ... the people that ran Carm's Pharmacy on Varick were some of the nicest people you will ever meet.
Meghan

Clinton, NY

#6 Dec 31, 2009
Vogels Bakery on Lenox Ave, Playing Hide and go seek in the street; the baseball field at Utica State Hospital; Swimming at Addison Miller and stopping at the laundrymat on York St next to Lyntons for popcorn. Who could forget playing Pom Pom Tackle at the schools.
gtr

Watertown, NY

#7 Dec 31, 2009
I remember a fish store where there was a huge Pacu inside a 55 gallon tank. I think he may have had a snakehead in another if I'm not mistaken.

Tolpas Dairy was one place my grandparents used to take me every Sunday to get baked goods and we'd get candy, baseball cards packs, and ice cream sundaes. I also remember Mahanna's where I used to get comic books. There used to be a Smoke shop on Noyes Street where you could get comic books too.
Meghan

Clinton, NY

#8 Dec 31, 2009
The fish store that I remember were Chris's Pet Store on Whitesboro/Kellog Ave and then Gil Cusworth had a fish store on Court St near the funeral home on York. On a summer night the noise from Bossert's on Lenox Ave used to wake me up.
GHR

Whitesboro, NY

#9 Dec 31, 2009
I grew up in East Utica and have many fond memories. It's nice to see others feel the same. Utica used to be a great place to live.
neighborhood

Syracuse, NY

#10 Dec 31, 2009
Anyone remember Able's bait shop on Ash St. The little store on O'brian Ave at the end of the street where you walked up to the window and order candy and icecream. The Shack behind Addison Miller by the tracks that Gino tried to burn down I don't remember how many times ,just to see the firetrucks . Playing knife and pullthe peg in front of Addison. Remember when they would plant veges. at the state fields on York st. Who had more children,Brook's or Tarkowski 's ??????
CORNELL MAYE

Wake Forest, NC

#11 Dec 31, 2009
Happy New Year to all!
My family phurased their home in west utica in the early 60's, I REMEMBER BEING THE 1ST BLACK kid in west utica and no one looking like me. History will show you that I was the 1st black kid to go to washington school, most of my friends were polish because at the time the neighborhood was predominantly polish. The homes were all very well kept, how did our public officials let things get to the way they are now! someone droped the ball.
Under Ed Hanna we tried to turn things around, but utica proved that self serving politicians only have their own intrest at heart! Utica could have been a great place to live if only had the right people stayed in power long enough to bring about change. Say what you want about Ed Hanna but your streets were clean and progress could be seen.
overtake

Kansas City, MO

#12 Dec 31, 2009
Did you force white girls into your house
back then too because your too gross to get women.

How's your work coming on the African Space Shuttle,such a great man, and one of the most advanced race's on the planet.
CORNELL MAYE

Wake Forest, NC

#13 Dec 31, 2009
As Hanna use to say you can be poor, but their is no excuse for filth!

if you show me a filthy street, I will show you a high crime area. 70% of utica fits into that category.

It is a shame people have no civic pride! no one holds the politician accountable, at least not 50% OF the public.
CORNELL MAYE

Wake Forest, NC

#14 Dec 31, 2009
overtake wrote:
Did you force white girls into your house
back then too because your too gross to get women.
How's your work coming on the African Space Shuttle,such a great man, and one of the most advanced race's on the planet.
PAY OVERTAKE NO MIND! mOST LIKELY AN ESCAPED PATIENT FROM THE STATE HOSPITAL, WHERE I ONCE WORKED. LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Meghan

Clinton, NY

#16 Dec 31, 2009
I don't remember the Brook's but I knew the Tarkowski's. I remember the bait shop, the Abels owned it and the shed at Addison Miller. Remember the nearby schools; Washington school on City
Street where we would have an Ice Cream Social every Fall. I would hit tennis balls off of the wall in the parking lot there.
Kernan School on York St which is still active.
Lincoln school on Kellogg Ave?
West Utica

Auburn, NY

#17 Dec 31, 2009
Don't forget Koehler's and Dellers... Can't remember when Koehler's closed but Dellers was definitely open in the 70's...
HOTmess

Auburn, NY

#18 Dec 31, 2009
I'm glad you folks let didn't let those two dim-wits ruin your walk down memory lane. I didn't even grow up in Utica, but got nostalgic reading about your memories.
boner

New York, NY

#19 Dec 31, 2009
CORNELL MAYE wrote:
Happy New Year to all!
My family phurased their home in west utica in the early 60's, I REMEMBER BEING THE 1ST BLACK kid in west utica and no one looking like me. History will show you that I was the 1st black kid to go to washington school, most of my friends were polish because at the time the neighborhood was predominantly polish. The homes were all very well kept, how did our public officials let things get to the way they are now! someone droped the ball.
Under Ed Hanna we tried to turn things around, but utica proved that self serving politicians only have their own intrest at heart! Utica could have been a great place to live if only had the right people stayed in power long enough to bring about change. Say what you want about Ed Hanna but your streets were clean and progress could be seen.
and i got a free hummer once a week,
Cusher

Boston, MA

#20 Dec 31, 2009
huh wrote:
Carm's Pharmacy on Varick? Hamlin and Scott Insurance @ Columbia and Varick,New York Bakery, Potter School, Ray Benson Chevrolet, Ventura's Shoe Repair,wow...great memories.
Tom & Nellie's Diner in the Hamlin & Scott building on the corner of Columbia and Varick too. "Where Friendly People Meet Their Friends"
Cusher

Boston, MA

#21 Dec 31, 2009
West Utica wrote:
Don't forget Koehler's and Dellers... Can't remember when Koehler's closed but Dellers was definitely open in the 70's...
Didn't Dellers burn down some time in the 70's?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 45
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is 3 kings day? 4 min Bluesguy 3
why CANT THAT RASH FAT SLOB FINGERS PROVE IT LI... 4 min thank heavens FLG 17
Miss You 37 min hurting 27
Utica Common Council 37 min slapanut 5
Frack not Nano idiots 39 min Chuck 8
wives who support their husbands 47 min takes 2 6
Utica's biggest crook,,Judge Romano Clark. 58 min Chuck 3
Why Robert T Oliveira 3 hr Large Boned Utican 23
ND Warmack suspended for grades but....... 4 hr sam spade 17
East Utica in the 70's and 80's/ what do you re... (Jan '10) 6 hr Little Johnny 383
Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:49 pm PST

Bleacher Report 1:49PM