Utica Brewers baseball

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Screwball

Syracuse, NY

#1 Jun 23, 2014
So, I check the sports page of the O-D (as I do every morning) and under "SCOREBOARD" I see the schedule/results of KOK basketball, Legion and LL baseball, ping-pong, harness racing, boring freaking soccer, blah, blah, blah. Seldom, if ever, does the O-D have anything on Utica Brewers baseball. Why? The Utica Comets get more press in one day than the Brewers get all season.
fan

Utica, NY

#3 Jun 23, 2014
Screwball wrote:
So, I check the sports page of the O-D (as I do every morning) and under "SCOREBOARD" I see the schedule/results of KOK basketball, Legion and LL baseball, ping-pong, harness racing, boring freaking soccer, blah, blah, blah. Seldom, if ever, does the O-D have anything on Utica Brewers baseball. Why? The Utica Comets get more press in one day than the Brewers get all season.
It really is sad that the community can't come out and support these guys. This is a bunch of good kids from all over America that come to Utica, live in MVCC dorms for their summer. The least we could do is come out to support them. I realize that their record isn't great but maybe if they had some support and more people cheering them on they will start winning some games!! I don't think people realize what the league is either. These are kids that are eligible for draft into Major League Baseball. We have had at least 4 former Brewers that have been drafted over the past couple of years. So let's try to get some fans to the field during July! It's a fun, cheap way to spend time with family and friends on a beautiful summer night!
fan

Utica, NY

#4 Jun 23, 2014
comet fan wrote:
Is this professional baseball ? Where do they play ? Admission charge ? What other teams do they play ? I'm clueless,can you give me some information please.
The league is made up of college kids from colleges all over America. These kids are draft ready, a few past Brewers have been drafted over the last couple of years. Check out their website, it will tell you more about what the Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball league is all about. The games are so cheap to go to, admission is only $5!
Slothrop

Whitesboro, NY

#5 Jun 23, 2014
Couple of points:
1. Baseball is a dying sport. Fewer and fewer kids play it.
2. Every Yankee, Mets and Braves game is on TV, as are others on ESPN and MLB Network. Fans that are still around just sit home or in a bar and watch games on TV.
3. The Brewers management doesn't seem to promote very well. You can't just rely on the OD and TV coverage.
fan

Utica, NY

#7 Jun 23, 2014
comet fan wrote:
Do they have beer, food concession stand ?
Yes, a nice concession stand and beer. Everything is reasonably priced too!
Don t get Rued

Utica, NY

#8 Jun 23, 2014
by Butchie Rue
Right Field Riggies

Rochester, NY

#10 Jun 23, 2014
They need to serve Riggies, Tomato Pie, Utica Greens and more Riggies at games.

Maybe have a guest appearance by Yankees legend Dave "Riggies" Righetti

btw Maj.Gen. Abner Doubleday happened to be in Utica on day in 1839 and he saw some kids playing a game in a field involving a ball and a long stick. A week later he laid out the first baseball field in Cooperstown and claimed he invented the game, and they got the Baseball Hall of Fame instead of Utica.
fan

Utica, NY

#11 Jun 23, 2014
comet fan wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for the info,I will make it to a couple of games.
You're welcome. Hopefully word will start to get around about the team and we will start having a better crowd!
fan

New York, NY

#13 Jun 23, 2014
comet fan wrote:
<quoted text>They should promote the team a lot better and sell season tix. Just my thought.
I agree, I've talked to the GM about it. I think a lot of people think that it's like Post baseball and don't realize that these guys are close to being drafted.
Mountie

Rome, NY

#14 Jun 23, 2014
The Perfect Game League is highly rated in collegiate summer wooden bat baseball. The players are all college kids from all over the country. They don't get paid to play.....they play just for their love of the game. The rival MV Diamond Dawgs pay in Little Falls and they draw more in one night than Utica does the whole season. That's said, but the Dawgs, management promotes much better than Utica. Uticans don't know what they have at Murnane. Get out and support these kids.
Crash Davis

Utica, NY

#15 Jun 23, 2014
Slothrop wrote:
Couple of points:
1. Baseball is a dying sport. Fewer and fewer kids play it.
2. Every Yankee, Mets and Braves game is on TV, as are others on ESPN and MLB Network. Fans that are still around just sit home or in a bar and watch games on TV.
3. The Brewers management doesn't seem to promote very well. You can't just rely on the OD and TV coverage.
Since when is baseball a dying sport? It's the top grossing sport and considered 2nd in popularity only behind the NFL. Most southern and west coast kids play baseball and football. Power conferences such as the SEC, PAC-12, ACC, and Big-10 have extremely popular baseball programs. Good athletes in Texas, California and Florida play high level travel ball while Utica is stuck in 1970s Legion Baseball. Kids want to travel and attend large tournaments coached by former college and pro coaches. Not to mention the NE has Lacrosse that pulls kids away.
Sweet

Tampa, FL

#17 Jun 23, 2014
too bad wrote:
Too bad none of your ill-educated retards from upstate ny will ever be in an "big leagues" if history is the judge. I am amazed at the simpleton fckning losers who throw their kids' future away all cranked up on these phony dreams of their poor upstate menial job parents who actually think a "scholarship" is some way to go because they didn't earn and save for their rugrats. All you people are good for is producing Aldi's clerks and prison guards who do you people think you're deluding aside from your illiterate fat stupid upstate ny kids?
LIving vicariously through your kids. Way to go!
Nailed It! They never leave the area to realize its a big country out there. Little Jimmy playing LL baseball in upstate NY ain't gonna cut it! Maybe play at a juco ar d3 school. Heck, you throw kids from Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Cuba, in that mix..... Yes, CNY you are golden.
Larry Hockett

Utica, NY

#18 Jun 23, 2014
too bad wrote:
Too bad none of your ill-educated retards from upstate ny will ever be in an "big leagues" if history is the judge. I am amazed at the simpleton fckning losers who throw their kids' future away all cranked up on these phony dreams of their poor upstate menial job parents who actually think a "scholarship" is some way to go because they didn't earn and save for their rugrats. All you people are good for is producing Aldi's clerks and prison guards who do you people think you're deluding aside from your illiterate fat stupid upstate ny kids?
LIving vicariously through your kids. Way to go!
Or...a good Student-Athlete might get the opportunity to attend one of America's most prestigious "best-of-the best" academic institutions via a substantial financial aid package or alum athletic grant to an Ivy League school or a athletic scholarship to Stanford or Duke. Not to mention you'll be bumped to the top to the admissions list with lesser grades/SAT scores at the recruiting coaches request while dodging the red tape & BS admission requirements regular students endure. You'll also have your own athletic dorm, tutors and dining facility.

Best of both worlds...world class education while playing D1 sports at a fraction of what other students require to attend.

Kudos to the hundreds of Stanford, Duke, Notre Dame, Vandy, BC & Ivy athletes playing pro sports!
fan

Utica, NY

#21 Jun 23, 2014
comet fan wrote:
Do they sell any Brewers merchandise, hats,t-shirts,etc. at the home games ?
I'm not sure about that.
Fat Tony Salerno

Rochester, NY

#22 Jun 23, 2014
comet fan wrote:
Do they sell any Brewers merchandise, hats,t-shirts,etc. at the home games ?
Check out the team store on the website. Nice stuff at prices you can afford.
Fat Tony Salerno

Rochester, NY

#23 Jun 23, 2014
comet fan wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for the info,I will make it to a couple of games.
Me too. The next time I'm in town I plan to take in a game with my two lady friends, Nancy and Trixie. I miss the Blue Sox.
Pete Rose

Utica, NY

#24 Jun 24, 2014
The league just doesn't get enough exposure by the local media and locals are not up on college baseball or travel baseball enough to realize what a quality product Perfect Game puts out.

I'm sure Perfect Game will quickly realize the mistake of placing it here and relocate the league.
fan

Utica, NY

#26 Jun 24, 2014
comet fan wrote:
I will definitely be making it to a couple of games. I plan on getting a hot dog and a couple of beers and if they are selling any merchandise, a hat and t - shirt. And I will be trying to get a couple of friends to come along . I sincerely appreciate all the information . Lets go Utica Brewers and Utica Comets !!!!!
They will be home tonight, we'll be there as long as the weather is nice!
Comets Fan

New Hartford, NY

#27 Jun 24, 2014
They Brewers are a joke. They try to tell the media that they draw over 1,000 fans a game. I drive by there every night from work. There are no more than maybe a dozen or so there.

They flat out lie to everyone.
fan

Utica, NY

#28 Jun 24, 2014
Comets Fan wrote:
They Brewers are a joke. They try to tell the media that they draw over 1,000 fans a game. I drive by there every night from work. There are no more than maybe a dozen or so there.

They flat out lie to everyone.
I've never heard anyone say they draw over 1,000 fans a night! They are trying to create a better fan base because they don't have many coming to their games. Maybe 200 at the most!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GOLF is a SPECIAL gift from GOD! 1 hr OLD GUY 9
D AND D AUTO SALES/BODY RUTGER/oriskany (Apr '13) 2 hr enforcer 73
Blacks are terrified by Mexicans 3 hr Taco Melts 1
HOLY WAR is not told by a priest but by your ow... 3 hr Megatron live ver... 1
WKTV Weather 5 hr Suck That Lollipop 44
Verizon strike 5 hr plkjhg 14
Rob "Welfare Comets" Esche Sportsplex smacked d... 5 hr KingAndrewCuomo 104
Cruz and Fiorini 10 hr Dave Dumbablow Smith 30
How Much Does H & R Block charge To Do Your Taxes (Jan '09) 18 hr Sunshine 751
More from around the web