Special needs children poorly handled.

Posted in the Utica Forum

Brian

Auburn, NY

#1 Jan 16, 2010
Just trying to collect information from anyone else who's special needs children have not been handled correctly by the Utica school district, and are now irreversibly effected because of it, or did ot get a chance to progress as far as they could have if they were treated correctly, and now it is too late. Our autistic children were put on hold and mistreated for so long by the Utica School District for so long, and made to wait for services for so long that they are not where they should be if they were handled the way they were supposed to be. They keep not giving them the services they are required to give them off their IEP's and trying everything they can to not spend money on such services. This has caused damage, and set them back quite significantly mentally. Anyone else have any input from their own personal experience to contribute to this topic?
interresting

Fort Plain, NY

#2 Jan 16, 2010
Unfortunely, this goes on in all school systems. Just voice youe concerns to the proper person/ persons and go over their heads if you get nowhere. If all else fails, relocate. Good luck fighing for this individuals rights.
Seriously

United States

#3 Jan 16, 2010
Get an advocate or lawyer immediately. You have rights. When you have someone representing you, see how quick things happen.
Brian

Auburn, NY

#5 Jan 16, 2010
Oh we have gotten an advocate, and scared them enough to give us everything our children need. What we are trying to do is get enough people together who can present cases like ours who are either in our boat, or not strong or knowledgeable enough to know what to do. Then we can get the propper attourneys and take the board to court, and hopefully get things streightened out by A suing them, and B making a powerful enough movement to get them to completely restructure how they handle these situations. Them doing this to people who do not know enough and let it go by the wayside is damning these children to a life of misery due to lack of services.
Curious

Syracuse, NY

#6 Jan 16, 2010
Exactly what are you talking about. Are they not providing services? Seems very generic. I would love to know specifics....
to Brian

Syracuse, NY

#7 Jan 17, 2010
brian, you don't even want me to begin with what i have been going through for the past 5 yrs with my child. and it is not just the utica school district, it happens all over. It is also the nys education dept. and board of regents who have failed handicapped children also. I love how everyone passes the buck!
Brian

Auburn, NY

#8 Jan 17, 2010
Curious wrote:
Exactly what are you talking about. Are they not providing services? Seems very generic. I would love to know specifics....
Well Curious, As an example, first they put my autistic son into a behavioral class,where he just sat there all day and was handed maybe a work sheet or two with no instruction, when it was obviously not for him. Then we ask for another IEP meeting to find a more appropriate placement. Before that he came from a BOCES class, which regulations say he is supposed to go right back into one after changing schools, but they said since he was not placed there right when we got there there is nothing we can do about it. Then at our seconed meeting, they tried saying they refuse to put him down as autistic since he doesn't seem that way, and tried to talk over my wife and conclude the meeting without even letting her speak. We finally got them to include his actual diagnosis on paper, and they promise to put several other services on it as well such as occupational therapy, one on one tutoring, etc. Months pass and nothing gets added. We contact them abvout it and they say they will put us in for another meeting, but it takes three months. Three months pass, and they say his meeting is scheduled two months later. At the meeting, they tell us it's too late in the year, and it will have to wait til next year. Next year comes, and they mysteriously don't have any record of anything, and we have to start ovr again. Meanwhile, he is being sent home for every autistic behavior he has, and labeled as fits. By this time, he is already so messed up from not getting what he needed on a timely matter, that more extreme services are required. We now come to finmd out that two other families are dealing with the same thing. If people don't know how to deal with them, the school system pushes them aside and walks over them. I always thought school was supposed to be a positive environment. All they do is try to save money at the expense of other peoiple's lives. It needs to stop. Though I fear my efforts might prove pointless.
to Brian

Syracuse, NY

#9 Jan 17, 2010
also, let not forget that the LDA will eventually call back the parent two weeks after you call them and the IEP meeting has come and gone.
Dooley

United States

#10 Jan 17, 2010
You can get a copy of the state regs as they apply to sp ed. You can get it from BOCES. Read it and know your rights. Some things the school has to respond to in a limited time. If not, there are consequences. If you disagree with an CSE decision you can demand an impartial hearing. The school district then pays for legal rep. which they don't like. Work the system for your child.

“An excitable boy”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#11 Jan 17, 2010
Dooley wrote:
You can get a copy of the state regs as they apply to sp ed. You can get it from BOCES. Read it and know your rights. Some things the school has to respond to in a limited time. If not, there are consequences. If you disagree with an CSE decision you can demand an impartial hearing. The school district then pays for legal rep. which they don't like. Work the system for your child.
Don't even get me started on NYS special education horror stories.
Here's an old trick: They mislabel kids as 'special needs' who are just hyperactive so they get the special education rate from the state. They refuse to mainstream the child until just before graduation where they are usually magically determined to be 'normal'. If they graduate the child while still labelled SE the school system has to pick up a large potion of the student's educational bills if he/she continues their education beyond HS.
-Now you know why they play fast and loose with the labelling.
Blast from the past

Rochester, NY

#12 Jan 21, 2010
Thhis story is sooooooo scary, but true. and it is not only Utica. Whitesboro is the same way!!! They dont like to handle Autistic children, so they say that they are "Uncontrolable" and ship them off to UCP , or Boces!
Brian

Auburn, NY

#13 Jan 21, 2010
Blast from the past wrote:
Thhis story is sooooooo scary, but true. and it is not only Utica. Whitesboro is the same way!!! They dont like to handle Autistic children, so they say that they are "Uncontrolable" and ship them off to UCP , or Boces!
Actually UCP and BOCES are some of the best placements around here for children with autism, short of Trade Winds
rabblerouser

AOL

#14 Jan 21, 2010
Tradewinds is also a UCP program (for older kids) and don't forget the Kelberman center which is a good resource.

For your info Brian I would log onto www.parenttoparentnys.org

This is a site for parents with special needs kids that deal a lot with the issues you've addressed here. I have found that there are wonderful, knowledgable advocates to be found that definitly know the legal ins and outs of the education system-I think you would benefit from getting on their mailing list-they always have up to date info regarding special ed laws and stuff like that
Saddened

New York, NY

#15 Jan 21, 2010
Brian, I'm just curious which elementary school your child goes to....It's a terrible story. I'm so sorry you had to go through such mess to get your son the help he needs.
sad

United States

#16 Jan 21, 2010
Brian wrote:
Just trying to collect information from anyone else who's special needs children have not been handled correctly by the Utica school district, and are now irreversibly effected because of it, or did ot get a chance to progress as far as they could have if they were treated correctly, and now it is too late. Our autistic children were put on hold and mistreated for so long by the Utica School District for so long, and made to wait for services for so long that they are not where they should be if they were handled the way they were supposed to be. They keep not giving them the services they are required to give them off their IEP's and trying everything they can to not spend money on such services. This has caused damage, and set them back quite significantly mentally. Anyone else have any input from their own personal experience to contribute to this topic?
I give you credit, I would have put the names of these people who are just doing there time to get by down.
tulip

Ithaca, NY

#17 Jan 21, 2010
find robin roberts she has a son with autism and has done alot with the school district. she has fought hard and been successful for mattison. good luck
I can empathize

New York, NY

#18 Jan 23, 2010
Brian wrote:
My child (now 19) was a special ed student in the Utica system. WHAT A FREAKIN' NIGHTMARE! I could write a book (a very large book) about the way she was handled and passed off by the Utica School District. When she was in kindergarten the school principal threatened to have me arrested if I brought her back to school the next day. Then, in a private meeting in his office, he informed me that this type of behavior is usually a result of the mother's drug or alcohol abuse during pregnancy.

My best advice to you would be speak up, the squeaky wheel definitely gets the oil. If you can't do it yourself, find an advocate who will intervene on behalf of your child. Thank goodness for me, my husband is a very vocal man. If you just keep quiet, thinking they will do what is right for your child, you are sadly mistaken. Watch out when they tell you maybe the child should be homeschooled.

Best of luck to you and your child. You have a rocky road ahead if you stay in the Utica School District.
Serious shopper

Newark, NJ

#19 Jan 23, 2010
Brian wrote:
if it's that big of an issue maybe you should shell out some of your cash and pay to have your child taken care of in a manner that suites your wants
Roxie

Livonia, MI

#20 May 18, 2014
Please add me on my website called Help me ban the R-word on Facebook please pass my msg around to other people out their thanks 😃

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kids Bday Party 4 min STRETCH 1
DON'T Send Children to Utica College 15 min Gamester 127
Robert T Oliveira is now scared 22 min Cwack Wegal Team 4
Robert Oliveira Is Nervous 24 min Bobbys A Fool 9
So Where Is Robert Oliveira 25 min frank duross 8
Controlling Girlfriend 52 min Never Satisfied 3
TODD HOBIN- head football coach NH 59 min FACTS 10
Kim Simon Murder (Feb '10) 1 hr bob 4,780
Who is Mike Tebsherany? (Apr '12) 2 hr sicko 46
Ground Broken For N Utica Texas Roadhouse 2 hr Lol 15