Concerned Parent

Syracuse, NY

#1 Feb 5, 2013
When is something going to be done about the illegal searches at the schools ? Doesn't anyone care that this violates the 4th amemdment rights of our children ? Has your child ended up in DETENTION for refusing a search ? Are any parents or students taking steps to fight this violation? Share your thoughts and experiences.
Boo Hoo Jerk

Utica, NY

#2 Feb 5, 2013
so just what is your innocent lil darling hiding?
how so

Lowville, NY

#3 Feb 5, 2013
In what way is it illegal? What exactly is being searched? If you're talking about lockers, that is the school's property. Are you talking about bookbags/purses? What is your child being searched for and do administrators/school resource officer have cause to believe it's illegal? As a parent, I'd be most concerned about my child making good choices, rather than whether or not she was "violated" by someone who suspected there was a reason to search property. Get your priorities straight and stop enabling your child!
Concerned

Syracuse, NY

#4 Feb 5, 2013
Boo Hoo Jerk wrote:
so just what is your innocent lil darling hiding?
Gum, candy and an iPod. Who's the jerk now? Creep.
how so

Lowville, NY

#5 Feb 5, 2013
so the school was conducting searches to find illicit ipods and gum? or that was all the way that was found? You still sound like an ass.
Alleged Enabler

Syracuse, NY

#6 Feb 5, 2013
All students are stopped as soon as they enter the school first thing in the morning. Their belongings are searched. Not school property.
Pretty sad we can't discuss this without name calling and hostility.
Kay

Waltham, MA

#8 Feb 5, 2013
Supreme Court has ruled that students have no 4th amendment rights while on school grounds.
WRONG GOOF

Camillus, NY

#9 Feb 5, 2013
A public school violated the privacy rights of a teenage girl who had to disrobe on suspicion she had ibuprofen pills, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Thursday in its first decision on student strip searches.

By an 8-1 vote, the justices upheld a ruling that the school and its officials violated the U.S. constitutional right that protects against unreasonable search and seizure.

The ruling by the nation's high court was a major defeat for school officials who had defended the strip search as necessary for student safety, school order and combating a growing drug problem.

School officials in Safford, Arizona, had ordered the strip search in 2003 of Savana Redding, who was 13 and in the eighth grade. It did not turn up any ibuprofen -- an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication used to treat fever, headaches and pain -- or any other drugs.
how so

Lowville, NY

#10 Feb 5, 2013
If all students are stopped at the school entrance, it sounds as if that is the school's policy that has been approved by their board of education. If you don't agree with the policy, have you attended a board meeting and voiced your concerns? As a parent, I would still want to know why my child was refusing to have her bag inspected to the point of taking the detention. Do you think your child was refusing out of pure outrage that his/her "constitutional rights" were being violated? You're getting backlash from your initial post because:
1. you're incorrect that your child is being deprived of his/her 4th ammendment rights.
2. your attitude that "the school is sticking it to my poor kid" is exhibit A as to why there are so many behavior problems in the school setting and why the districts have been made impotent in any efforts to address those problems.
tony

Utica, NY

#11 Feb 5, 2013
good for whatever school is doing it on a regular basis the reason why these kids have gotten out of control is they get away with everything. If they have nothing to be guilty about then it should not be a problem. So if the starter of this thread thinks its a problem then something is fishy. These kids have so much power now days and when i was a kid we had rules and we made out just fine. now no one can say crap to poor johnny without parents getting their ants in an uproar. you r doing your kids no favors by teaching them they r the boss, they are children and should have rules...so my opinion this is a stupid thread
wright goof

Utica, NY

#12 Feb 5, 2013
WRONG GOOF wrote:
A public school violated the privacy rights of a teenage girl who had to disrobe on suspicion she had ibuprofen pills, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Thursday in its first decision on student strip searches.
By an 8-1 vote, the justices upheld a ruling that the school and its officials violated the U.S. constitutional right that protects against unreasonable search and seizure.
The ruling by the nation's high court was a major defeat for school officials who had defended the strip search as necessary for student safety, school order and combating a growing drug problem.
School officials in Safford, Arizona, had ordered the strip search in 2003 of Savana Redding, who was 13 and in the eighth grade. It did not turn up any ibuprofen -- an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication used to treat fever, headaches and pain -- or any other drugs.
If another student demands that your daughter take off her clothes in school; she should not do that. And don't believe her if she kerps stripping for the guys in school.
wright goof

Camillus, NY

#14 Feb 5, 2013
I hope she don't turn out like my hore mother, she gave me several STD's, she loves when daddy takes me in the basement and shoves his tiny fireman in me.
Well Well Well

Utica, NY

#15 Feb 5, 2013
New York State and federal District & Appeal Courts have regularly held that children in schools have LESS 4th Amendment protections, not ZERO 4th Amendment protections, because the school has responsibility for all students. The "school property" is true - lockers can be searched by school administrators and police without warrants. They are school property and there is no or low expectation of privacy.

The Supreme Court case cited above (with no link I might add) doesn't grant full 4th Amendment rights to students. It does say that in that particular case (strip search), the school district went too far.
well goof

Camillus, NY

#16 Feb 5, 2013
Well Well Well wrote:
New York State and federal District & Appeal Courts have regularly held that children in schools have LESS 4th Amendment protections, not ZERO 4th Amendment protections, because the school has responsibility for all students. The "school property" is true - lockers can be searched by school administrators and police without warrants. They are school property and there is no or low expectation of privacy.
The Supreme Court case cited above (with no link I might add) doesn't grant full 4th Amendment rights to students. It does say that in that particular case (strip search), the school district went too far.
What does your post have to do with personal searches, can you read what the posted said or has your hooked on phonics been lost.

Now post where the supreme court said that school officials have the right to search a student without cause, if your pea brain can handle it.
ironic

Utica, NY

#17 Feb 5, 2013
well goof wrote:
<quoted text> What does your post have to do with personal searches, can you read what the posted said or has your hooked on phonics been lost.
Now post where the supreme court said that school officials have the right to search a student without cause, if your pea brain can handle it.
What does that post NOT have to do with personal searches??? It's directly addressing the 4th Ammendment rights issue that the original poster is citing!

And are you seriously equating a strip search with a general school policy of checking students' bags when they enter the building?
I don't even know where to begin with that one...but I think your comments speak for themselves anyhow.
sooo

Utica, NY

#18 Feb 5, 2013
Don't you want your child to be safe???? I know I want my kids to be safe, and they can search them any time they want. I have no problem with that. Safety first !!!!
well goof

Camillus, NY

#19 Feb 5, 2013
sooo wrote:
Don't you want your child to be safe???? I know I want my kids to be safe, and they can search them any time they want. I have no problem with that. Safety first !!!!
I bet if your retard kids took anything to school they would place in in their book bag even after the 15 times they had it searched, the special ed kid doesn't fall far from the tree.
sooo

Camillus, NY

#20 Feb 5, 2013
I want to strip search all the little boy's for the school, and will do it for free.
Student

New Hartford, NY

#21 Feb 5, 2013
As a student in high school, you would be surprised to see half the things your kids do. Most of the popular kids smoke pot, smoke e-cigs, drink alcohol, etc. They are irresponsible kids who needed to be disciplined and I support the searches 100% because they need to learn right from wrong for once...
Well Well Well

Utica, NY

#22 Feb 5, 2013
well goof wrote:
<quoted text> What does your post have to do with personal searches, can you read what the posted said or has your hooked on phonics been lost.
You are the pea brain who can't understand what you read.

I was commenting on the application of 4th Amendment rights to students the courts have consistently ruled on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
More money for the Auditorium... 15 min Yes you Silly Goose 343
So Robert Oliveira 30 min UtiKowfuck NY 2
Josh Wisheart still what's his deal 31 min curious 2
Nanotechnology Complex Becoming Reality at SUNYIT (Jun '13) 36 min UtiKowfuck NY 114
Remington to lay off 105 workers in NY 1 hr No two safe act 106
DON'T Send Children to Utica College 1 hr Prisons 132
Utica College: Lowest rating in ELEVEN COUNTY U... 1 hr Curious 56
Ground Broken For N Utica Texas Roadhouse 1 hr Such A Joke 20
Westmoreland Rd Elementary School Whitesboro - ... 1 hr mom1st 25
Kim Simon Murder (Feb '10) 8 hr omg 4,781
aloha I'm kristen copeland 20 hr shypainter 11
Teb's son arrested from NH. Mon creep police 15
•••
•••
Utica Dating

more search filters