Don't Trust MONROE MUFFLER

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Coles better

Tully, NY

#1 Jul 21, 2011
Take your new car in for an inspection and I bet they can find something to fix on it before they pass you. I brought in my vehicle in once in Herkimer monroe and had absolutely nothing wrong with my car and come to find out I needed several hundred dollars of work done. I had them start work, being stupid, and then got another phone call and to my surprise they added four more hundred for more issues. Said i needed brake work done, new brake emergency cable, tie rods and a few other things. My car was only a few years old from being new and I never had a prob with it. I told them to stop what they were doing and I would pick my car up. I ended up paying a few hundred on work not needed and still needed it inspected. I took it to another shop(local guy) and found nothing wrong with it.
From now on I take my car to COLE's since they don't fix unbroken parts and do the job correctly. They do it on time too.
liar liar

New York, NY

#2 Jul 21, 2011
Don't trust the poser who started this thread. They've been making up the same bullshit story for over a year now.
DRN
Level 6

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#3 Jul 21, 2011
Or maybe its a continuing scam.
Coles better

Tully, NY

#4 Jul 21, 2011
Bull shiat...you know its true and monroe is only there to sell and find as much wrong as possible. I also spoke with a former employee who said the same thing too about finding as much as you can and only pass it when all is fixed and paid for.
liar liar

New York, NY

#5 Jul 21, 2011
Coles better wrote:
Bull shiat...you know its true and monroe is only there to sell and find as much wrong as possible. I also spoke with a former employee who said the same thing too about finding as much as you can and only pass it when all is fixed and paid for.
WEll then, since you said this happened at the Monro in HERKIMER, why don't you post this in the HERKIMER forum?

Because it was a lie.
Coles better

Tully, NY

#6 Jul 21, 2011
You monroe people make yourselves look like jerkoffs when you think you are going to nab someone for tons of money on repairs and the customer says " I'll be back then" and request for you to give the printout of repairs. The customers then takes it to actual non- ripoff places and shows the list and maybe fixes one thing out of 20 on the list. I bet you see that a lot monroe.
liar liar

New York, NY

#7 Jul 21, 2011
DRN wrote:
Or maybe its a continuing scam.
Stalk much? I guess when you're unemployed, there's not much else to do.
liar liar

New York, NY

#8 Jul 21, 2011
A quick search finds the same OP starting the same crap thread in March, making the exact same fake claims:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/utica-ny/T4VL...
Mr I know what you did wrote:
I went to the one in Her last time I needed an inspection and they told me I needed over $2000 worth of work on my vehicle, which I had no idea since it drove fine. I had them start some of the work to get it inspected and then they called me telling me I needed more work done and it was even more money. I told them to finish what they were doing and I will take it elsewhere to get checked. I was stuck paying several hundred for nothing and still did not get it inspected.
I then took it to another garage and was told it did not need the things that was on their quote and it passed fine. I have told this story to about 100 people that go there since and they all claim they will never go there again. I am a reputable person in the area and they know I would not lie about this sort of thing. Complete rip off artists and business people who try to take advantage of ones who are not mechanics and don't know better, but you did not get me totally. Get them to do all the work and take the estimate to someone else...this is free and just tell them that you will have to wait and please print up what is needed so I can decide later on. Even make an appointment and just never show up for it.
Coles better

Tully, NY

#9 Jul 21, 2011
liar liar wrote:
A quick search finds the same OP starting the same crap thread in March, making the exact same fake claims:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/utica-ny/T4VL...
<quoted text>
Who says they are fake other than you at Monroe....this is a whole different situation and totals anyway and time frame.
liar liar

New York, NY

#10 Jul 21, 2011
Coles better wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says they are fake other than you at Monroe....this is a whole different situation and totals anyway and time frame.
I'm not at Monro or any other garage for that matter because I actually know how to MAINTAIN my own cars.

BTW, it is spelled Monro, no "e" on the end.
truth

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Jul 21, 2011
I know absolutely nothing about cars,but if it came down to me having to fix it myself with a butter knife or bring it to Monro again,I'll take my chances with the butter knife. I brought my car there once and only once. It was for an inspection. My check engine light had come on a week before and when they hooked it up to the machine,they tell me I need an o2 sensor and a catalytic converter.The catalytic converter was just replaced less than 6 mos. prior. I didn't tell them this. They wanted almost $500.00 to fix it and then my car would pass. I remember reading somewhere that a bad O2 sensor can sometimes cause the on-board diagnostics to think you have a bad catalytic converter, when in fact you don't.
They had taken the inspection sticker off already,but I took the car anyway. Took it over to a mechanic in oneida,paid $98 for an o2 sensor and some change and my car passed inspection.
wow

Cortland, NY

#12 Jul 21, 2011
Ahh, they aren't supposed to remove the inspection sticker right at the start unless it's overdue... If it's overdue, they say they must comply and remove the sticker at the get-go. So, truth, remember that for next year. Give'em hell!
they rip offs

Binghamton, NY

#13 Jul 21, 2011
See. Another similar case
liar liar

New York, NY

#14 Jul 22, 2011
wow wrote:
Ahh, they aren't supposed to remove the inspection sticker right at the start unless it's overdue... If it's overdue, they say they must comply and remove the sticker at the get-go. So, truth, remember that for next year. Give'em hell!
Wrong again. When a vehicle is brought in for inspection, the sticker is removed first. Does not matter if it is expired or not. At that point it is being re-inspected so its old inspection status is no longer valid. If it does not pass, they aren't going to leave the old sticker on or put it back on because that would be false. A garage would be liable in the event something happened after they allowed a failing car to leave with a valid inspection.
Nope

Tully, NY

#15 Jul 22, 2011
liar liar wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again. When a vehicle is brought in for inspection, the sticker is removed first. Does not matter if it is expired or not. At that point it is being re-inspected so its old inspection status is no longer valid. If it does not pass, they aren't going to leave the old sticker on or put it back on because that would be false. A garage would be liable in the event something happened after they allowed a failing car to leave with a valid inspection.
Show us the law on that nonsense....if its still valid then they are to not remove it otherwise they will be forced to get the repairs done. I have never had that done upon failing inspections. I am reporting monrow
liar liar

New York, NY

#16 Jul 22, 2011
Nope wrote:
<quoted text>Show us the law on that nonsense....if its still valid then they are to not remove it otherwise they will be forced to get the repairs done. I have never had that done upon failing inspections. I am reporting monrow
Once a vehicle is brought in for inspection, its old inspection status is no longer valid. Call the DMV or any licensed vehicle inspector and they will say the exact same thing. When a vehicle is brought in for inspection it is now that garage's liability, not the person or place who inspected it before. They will not leave a sticker on and legally are not supposed to.
truth

New York, NY

#17 Jul 22, 2011
truth wrote:
I know absolutely nothing about cars,but if it came down to me having to fix it myself with a butter knife or bring it to Monro again,I'll take my chances with the butter knife. I brought my car there once and only once. It was for an inspection. My check engine light had come on a week before and when they hooked it up to the machine,they tell me I need an o2 sensor and a catalytic converter.The catalytic converter was just replaced less than 6 mos. prior. I didn't tell them this. They wanted almost $500.00 to fix it and then my car would pass. I remember reading somewhere that a bad O2 sensor can sometimes cause the on-board diagnostics to think you have a bad catalytic converter, when in fact you don't.
They had taken the inspection sticker off already,but I took the car anyway. Took it over to a mechanic in oneida,paid $98 for an o2 sensor and some change and my car passed inspection.
The downstream O2 sensor's purpose is to montitor the catalyst efficiency. An error code from the downstream O2 sensor is not always an indication of a bad catalytic converter. A bad catalytic converter is one possibility but also is a bad downstream O2 sensor. The likelyhood would be the sensor going bad before the catalyst would and that is where they should have started diagnosing.

Besides that, I believe the Federal emissions warranty on newer cars covers the catalytic converter for 100,000miles. Certain emissions related components are warrantied differently than the rest of the car.
truth

New York, NY

#18 Jul 22, 2011
Cars nowadays have either 2 or 4 oxygen sensors. Depends on if it is an inline engine or a "v" engine with two cylinder banks. You have 1 (or 2) Upstream O2 sensor(s) that monitor exhaust gases from combustion and the computer uses that to monitor the air/fuel ratio. Then there are 1 (or 2) downstream O2 sensor(s) that monitor whther the catalytic converters are working or not.

Occasionally you see some engines with 3 sensors. This would be a "v" engine having 2 upstream sensors but only one downstream O2 because the two exhaust manifolds are connected together with a crossover pipe to share just one converter.
truth

New York, NY

#19 Jul 22, 2011
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/cr79.pdf

Way down in the document it states this:

At the start of the inspection, the certified inspector shall remove or obtain any expired certificates of inspection, after being utilized for data entry, if required, and 10-day time extension waivers (form VS-1078) from the windshield or other location on the vehicle. Any inspection certificates or temporary certificates which are not yet expired are to be left on until vehicle passes inspection.(Amended 8/13/03).

Further down it states:

If the vehicle fails inspection and repairs are not to be made immediately, complete the inspection rejection notice and give it to the operator.

Upon failing, you do not get to keep valid inspection stickers or temporary ones because they are no longer valid. Nowadays they these notices of what failed so that only those items get reinspected later on and not a full inspection all over again. And they give a temporary certificate for emissions waivers if the vehicle fails for an emissions related fault. But there is not waivers for safety related faults so when you fail the safety inspection, you lose the sticker. Doesn't matter if there was a valid sticker still, it is no longer valid once the car is no longer safe.

The DMV has gone computerized a few years ago and track all these things.
Mario

Locke, NY

#20 Jul 22, 2011
liar liar wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again. When a vehicle is brought in for inspection, the sticker is removed first. Does not matter if it is expired or not. At that point it is being re-inspected so its old inspection status is no longer valid. If it does not pass, they aren't going to leave the old sticker on or put it back on because that would be false. A garage would be liable in the event something happened after they allowed a failing car to leave with a valid inspection.
The NYS DMV website proves that you are wrong. If the inspection sticker has not yet expired, it cannot be legally removed. If it is expired, it must be removed befor the inspection is done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
We Need Help 12 min can only hope 11
ELIAS ELIAS ELIAS ELIAS,,,,what a clown. 1 hr Coffee 9
landscapers 1 hr Stone Age lol 52
John F. Kennedy Middle School 1 hr notreally 7
CNY: Highest sex offender population in NY 2 hr Stuck on Utica 4
I busted a nut while I wuz beatin' off!!! 2 hr Thanks 7
Thank Your Postman Today 2 hr Truck 4316 1
Popeo's mouth problem! 3 hr Fat flakes 16
papa Joe's restaurant 9 hr Diabetic Utican 25
Judge Popeo coward - Ranting Fat Utica Bigot 12 hr Karma 11
How Much Does H & R Block charge To Do Your Taxes (Jan '09) 22 hr William 578
Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]