Potato Hill Killer
hank

Oneida, NY

#144 Feb 12, 2010
curious wrote:
I knew "Bob" Hatch in 1959-60 when he was dating my friend who he would eventually marry. She was Andrea Rooney who lived on Thomas Street in Utica. She was an only child who went to Our Lady of Lourdes Grammar School and then to UFA. She dropped out of high school (1960) when she became pregnant with Hatch's baby. I did see the baby once after she was born. I lost touch with her after that. I remember seeing him on television when he was arrested for the crime. I thought how lucky so many of us were as we would ride around Utica with Andrea and him. We just thought of him as a "Fonzie" type guy with a tough exterior. I also remember he was allowed to attend Andrea's funeral so he must have been awaiting trial. I know that she had cancer but was not aware that she commited suicide. I am now in possession of the book so maybe will learn more.
his name was Bernie Hatch
curious

New York, NY

#145 Feb 12, 2010
I know his name is Bernie but for some reason we, and Andrea, called him Bob.

“SoFunnyAt420”

Level 4

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#146 Feb 12, 2010
This area has no clue what a real serial killer is. Just wait tho, one day we all shall live in fear.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#147 Feb 12, 2010
Paul Kersey wrote:
It is too bad that he had to go to jail. I mean dragging a woman to death by chaining her to the back of your car and going for a joy ride. It sounds like a harmless prank to me. Nobody has a sense of humor anymore.
I think your mother had a real sense of humor,, after she gave birth to you!
South Pole

Byrdstown, TN

#148 Feb 13, 2010
Any time something is going else where.Like on Frankfort Hill..........it's a good time to get away with killing..........Find missing people 1965-1980?
kat

New York, NY

#149 Feb 13, 2010
yeah baby wrote:
who wants to go? i wanna go up there. can i have directions?
go to google potato hill rd. boonville ny
have a good day :)
boonville local
Just interested

East Syracuse, NY

#150 Feb 13, 2010
Hank - I wonder who you are as I also rode around UFA with Andrea and Bernie Hatch during lunch hours many times. I was a kid - but he always gave me the creeps - didn't seem like all the other kids we hung around with.
I thought that Andrea committed suicide.
When did you leave UFA (graduate/quite). I graduated in 1961.
Marjorie

Redwood City, CA

#151 Feb 14, 2010
I am almost finished with the book. They did find the remains of Linda Cady and her daughter, Lisa. They found other children's clothing that is believed to belong to the Zinnicola boys, but never found their bodies or the body of their mother (who also dated Hatch). I think that they pretty conclusively proved that he committed the Mary Rose Turner murder.

What do you think about the possibility that he also killed Joanne Pecheone?
Really

Canastota, NY

#153 Feb 14, 2010
Marjorie wrote:
I am almost finished with the book. They did find the remains of Linda Cady and her daughter, Lisa. They found other children's clothing that is believed to belong to the Zinnicola boys, but never found their bodies or the body of their mother (who also dated Hatch). I think that they pretty conclusively proved that he committed the Mary Rose Turner murder.
What do you think about the possibility that he also killed Joanne Pecheone?
It all just mkes sense.Who else was running around with missing girlfriends{and thier poor kids}.He was working at a car repair shop where nice and easy is now.When a car was finished he would take it out for a test drive.I know,circumstantal{?}but I believe it was him.I hope they keep him in for the rest of his life.Sick bastard.
Rose

New York, NY

#154 Feb 14, 2010
I was highly disturbed by the book... probable because I was familiar with the locations, etc. I wish the book had gone more into who Hatch was... I mean, you get the impression that he is a real sicko but, like someone mentioned earlier there are no pictures of him in the book and they don't really give his side of the story. It seems evident that he committed the crime, at least the Turner murder. I would like to know more about Hatch himself, although I would probably be a million times more disturbed than I already was!
teo

Galeton, PA

#155 Feb 14, 2010
I may be misremembering but I believe Hatch was in possession of a rope that had Mrs Turner's hair on it.
Marjorie

Mountain View, CA

#156 Feb 14, 2010
I do think that there were both hair and fiber matches.

And Rose, I hear you. The book was very disturbing. And I do agree that more insight into Hatch and his testimony/point of view would have been interesting. I think that it is particularly interesting that "curious" knew him in high school and considered him a "Fonzie" character, rough on the outside -- I think a lot of us knew people like that, and we certainly never expect them to be murderers!
demongirl

Oneida, NY

#157 Feb 17, 2010
I just looked up Bernard Hatch on the state dept of corrections, and he is up again for parole in june of this year.
Rich

East Syracuse, NY

#158 Mar 7, 2010
i strongly believe robert garrow was the killer weres the ropes or knotes of rope that could be used for comparison to the murders in speculator ny they had also been tied to trees on july 29 1973 there are also two teenagers i saw on the ny missing persons list that went missing on july 27 1973 is that a coinicedenec or what then theres mary anne wesolowski aug 18 1971 glensfalls ny denise marie sheeny july 7 1970 woodside ny and a few more if you look garrow got out of prision in 1968 you do the math very poor detective work if you ask me
Hatch killed Piccione

Long Eddy, NY

#159 Mar 7, 2010
long time Utican wrote:
"Julie" - I agree with you - Hatch is now in his early 70s and they are going to let him die in Prison - where he belongs.
He is an extremely sadistical and violent killer and I've always believed he was responsible for killing that Pecone (sp?) school girl that took that short cut thru the woods to her home on an afternoon day. She had been tied to a tree, sexually molested, and stabbed to death and no one heard a thing. Her Uncle was a Detective with the UPD and even he could never solve this case. Bernard Hatch was also suspected of more killings in the area, but could never be proven.
The Parole Board will deny his release from Parole - just like they did in 1998.
No question. Same MO. Hatch killed that poor kid. Many details not released but it was common knowledge in police circles.
The attack on kids has to stop. DE BALL THEM, or better yet, turn them over to the families of the kids they have raped, killed, tormented and let's have a go at vigilante justice.
blah

United States

#160 Mar 7, 2010
whats the potato hill killers name? and where what prison he in?
num

Blossvale, NY

#161 Mar 7, 2010
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you'd say the same if it was your mother that was murdered, or maybe your sister? Still funny if it happened to your wife? Or how about your daughter? Be real funny then right? Your just ignorant.
it was sarcasm, SARCASM, look it up, he was responding to the moron crying about strict laws, when reading things on the internet, please try to grasp the context what you are reading
demongirl

Oneida, NY

#162 Mar 7, 2010
I just finished the book also,I feel the same as the rest of you.I wish it had said more about who he was. More about what happened in his life to lead him in this direction.But I found the book a good read,and I really enjoyed it.
teo

Bronx, NY

#163 Mar 7, 2010
Rich,

The Garrow case was mostly in the Adirondacks although he was also suspected of some murders that he was never tried for.

The Armani(?)law firm in Syracuse was deeply involved in his case. I haven't googled the case but I would imagine the story of the defense team hearing from him where he buried other victims is enough to make one's skin crawl.

But either way I believe that there was physical evidence against Mr Hatch in the case that he was convicted in.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#165 Mar 7, 2010
Hatch killed Piccione wrote:
<quoted text>
No question. Same MO. Hatch killed that poor kid. Many details not released but it was common knowledge in police circles.
The attack on kids has to stop. DE BALL THEM, or better yet, turn them over to the families of the kids they have raped, killed, tormented and let's have a go at vigilante justice.
Pure speculation,no real proof or evidence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nails 5 min Nails 1
We don't have a racism problem in America! 11 min Talhotblonde 94
the double letter game ** (Jul '11) 24 min SueNY 2,170
Michele Gulla ? 35 min She Is Toast 8
michele gula (Jan '13) 39 min Karma 28
Creek side New Hartford, breakfast, lunch, or h... 1 hr Figures 1
Kristin Copeland 2 hr DirtyDave 17
Cheaters 2 hr See ya 15
Jill Reales hips 2 hr MoronDave 19
Yahnundasis in fantastic shape 6 hr Johnny 41