Notre Dame High School graduation

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Wondering

Utica, NY

#1 Jun 7, 2013
Most generally, I come to the aid of this fine institution; for I believe they serve a real purpose in our community. However, I have read again that their current grad class has received more than 7 million dollars in tuition assistance for their combined number: 66.
Can someone please help me understand how this can be true. It would mean that virtually all grads will be attending college free of charge.
big money

Utica, NY

#2 Jun 8, 2013
It sounds a little out of this world to me also.
lister

New Hartford, NY

#3 Jun 8, 2013
Wondering wrote:
Most generally, I come to the aid of this fine institution; for I believe they serve a real purpose in our community. However, I have read again that their current grad class has received more than 7 million dollars in tuition assistance for their combined number: 66.
Can someone please help me understand how this can be true. It would mean that virtually all grads will be attending college free of charge.
It is NOT true. My children attended ND. The children receive the INTEREST on the scholarship accounts NOT the principle. If there is a $500.00 scholarship fund set up by Mr. Smith. The INTEREST accrued on that account over a year, which might amount to $20.00, is the money distributed to the kids. That is how it works. When the schools use the number of how much they have in scholarship money, they use the actual total amount in the accounts--which may amount to over a million, BUT, the kids only receive the INTEREST on those accounts and that INTEREST is spread over more than one kid. That way, the school will have maintained the amount of the original scholarship over the years. I can tell you from experience, no one kid gets all that much. With today's interest rates, we are not talking a whole lot of money AND it is up to the school how much of the INTEREST they actually use on any one account.
joe

Utica, NY

#4 Jun 8, 2013
Wondering wrote:
wow 66 kids graduated thats all people are getting smarter and keeping their kids away from nd. how many kids are in the high school? i'm guessing maybe 200 if that
Numbers game

New Hartford, NY

#5 Jun 8, 2013
I am guessing they take the scholaship awards for each studnet (66) multiplied by the award students received from each school they applied to, not just the school they chose to attend. Basic math would say about $7,000 per student average per school applied to. Seems reasonable even with my basic UFA math skills.
hank

New Hartford, NY

#6 Jun 8, 2013
Lister is correct. Thank you for taking the time to explain it.
Truth

Utica, NY

#7 Jun 10, 2013
joe wrote:
<quoted text>wow 66 kids graduated thats all people are getting smarter and keeping their kids away from nd. how many kids are in the high school? i'm guessing maybe 200 if that
The OD article about increased traffic that will result from the building expasion on the Notre Dame campus says the current enrollment at the high school is 335. That's an average of 56 per class 7 thrue 12. A previous article regarding the expansion says that the enrollment rate is trending up not down.

I think that is similar to some of the smaller schools in the area like New York Mills Jr-Sr High right up the street from ND.

Competition is good for everyone. ND is competition for the monopoly public school system.
agree

Whitesboro, NY

#8 Jun 10, 2013
Can my son go there and get his tuition paid for
if he is a top notch athlete? Going into 1oth grade.
Truth

Utica, NY

#9 Jun 10, 2013
agree wrote:
I guess you can ask. Worst they can say is no right?
Really

Utica, NY

#10 Jun 10, 2013
I think Iíll send my kids to Notre Dame. For a reasonable investment of around $5,000 a year they will be rewarded with scholarships averaging $106,000 each ($7 million divided by 66 students). Thatís like winning the lottery.
june

New Hartford, NY

#11 Jun 10, 2013
Really wrote:
I think Iíll send my kids to Notre Dame. For a reasonable investment of around $5,000 a year they will be rewarded with scholarships averaging $106,000 each ($7 million divided by 66 students). Thatís like winning the lottery.
If you really believe what you wrote you are absolutely crazy.
post it

New Hartford, NY

#12 Jun 10, 2013
agree wrote:
No one gets a free ride. Besides being a 'top notch athlete" can he read? I believe that is their only requirement, but they may make an exception for you.
southside johnny

Raleigh, NC

#13 Jun 10, 2013
post it wrote:
<quoted text>
No one gets a free ride. Besides being a 'top notch athlete" can he read? I believe that is their only requirement, but they may make an exception for you.
Yeah , like the kids that come out of ND can't read, thats why they all got into college, can the same be said for Proctor, now there is a school of genuises
NDHS

Whitesboro, NY

#14 Jun 10, 2013
My daughter goes to ND and I would much rather that than her go the public schools who operate on a fascist basis and have the bullshit teachers union up everyones asses. God forbid a kid is absent a day, then the public school doesnt get their cash for that kid for that day. Its a joke how the public school systems have developed into "businesses"....ND isnt perfect, but atleast my daughter wont be listening to the 11th grade english teacher read aloud to the class a book with such words in it as "c@cksu*ker"...(this happens, I know it for a fact). I have the privilege of actually being the authority for what I decide is appropriate for my own child...in a public school, the school decides what they think is best...NOT the parent.
well

Whitesboro, NY

#15 Jun 10, 2013
post it wrote:
<quoted text>
high honor roll 96 gpa 5 yrs running
well

Whitesboro, NY

#16 Jun 10, 2013
NDHS wrote:
My daughter goes to ND and I would much rather that than her go the public schools who operate on a fascist basis and have the bullshit teachers union up everyones asses. God forbid a kid is absent a day, then the public school doesnt get their cash for that kid for that day. Its a joke how the public school systems have developed into "businesses"....ND isnt perfect, but atleast my daughter wont be listening to the 11th grade english teacher read aloud to the class a book with such words in it as "c@cksu*ker"...(this happens, I know it for a fact). I have the privilege of actually being the authority for what I decide is appropriate for my own child...in a public school, the school decides what they think is best...NOT the parent.
perfectly said
odediter

New Hartford, NY

#17 Jun 10, 2013
southside johnny wrote:
<quoted text> Yeah , like the kids that come out of ND can't read, thats why they all got into college, can the same be said for Proctor, now there is a school of genuises
Your post is a wonderful testimony to the acuity of the written expression taught at Notre Dame and the finesse with which their students construct grammatically sound sentences-absolute prose! LOLOLOLOLOL
southside johnny

Raleigh, NC

#18 Jun 10, 2013
Thats the problem, I did not go to ND . Went to Proctor
Really

Utica, NY

#19 Jun 10, 2013
It really surprises me that the parents at Notre Dame attribute their kids success on the quality of the school and not the socio-economic class from which their kids were raised. Any parent who is willing to shell out $5000 a year for their kidís education SHOULD expect their kid to go to college, regardless of the school they attend. I am also amazed that ND is so willing to compare themselves to Proctor but not so eager to compare themselves to New Hartford. The top 10% of Proctorís students are no different than those at ND. They graduate with equal test scores, go to the same colleges, get the same scholarships, etcÖ To compare your kids to those who are on the lower end of the socio-economic ladder, regardless of the reason they are there, is inane. If you are saying your kids do better at Notre Dame than they would at Proctor, it says more about your kidís ability to function in society than it does about the quality of the school.
Pragmatism rules

United States

#20 Jun 10, 2013
agree wrote:
Thinking "top notch cny athlete" will get future fatso potato boy a job in one of the states finest institutions like most fine "top notch cny athletes" so far have ever gone- loading dock, cnys dumb and blind justice or a prison welfare gutterball pension job. Get real this is why you fail.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pacenti whats the 4.4 million deficit? 1 hr Tired 3
ask your legislator why he votes the sales tax ... 1 hr Tired 4
NH Hampton Inn robbed!! 1 hr ESCAPE from CNY 8
Can I fart in your mouth? 1 hr Diana Vickery 1
Donna Houseman Caught Stealing 160 grand 1 hr ESCAPE from CNY 3
Wboro School Taxes going Up AGAIN 2 hr ESCAPE from CNY 25
Albany Devils are averaging 2,522 fans per game... (Nov '14) 2 hr nitwit 33
WKTV-Smith 4 hr Bun in oven 17
More from around the web

Utica People Search