Why do Uticans think 40 is old?

Why do Uticans think 40 is old?

Posted in the Utica Forum

Agree

Herkimer, NY

#3 Sep 6, 2013
motorcycle man wrote:
And if you read the obituaries, more people are living to be 90 these days, so at 40 you still have 50 years left to live. That's a long time to be "old."
I worked at the House of Good Shepherd years ago and I constantly heard my coworkers complaining about turning 25! I was in my mid forties then. They say that only in wealthy countries do people experience a,"protracted adolescence." I got real sick of hearing what came out of their mouths. The constant whining and complaining. I termed it the"Conspiracy of the young immature twits!" They considered anyone over say-27 ancient. I mean you talk about a distorted sense of reality. The level of immaturity was off the scale. I actually got along with all of them,but I am much happier now to be working with mature grounded adults!!
I think

New York, NY

#5 Sep 8, 2013
jeff wrote:
People grow up much faster in the Mohawk Valley than they do in other places. I know people in bigger cities that are in their early forties who are just starting families. But if you look at the average 40 year old in the Mohawk Valley, he is a retired civil servant with grey hair who has two adult children and is a grandfather. People in the Mohawk Valley might think they're old at 40, but the truth is that they're going to live for 40 or 50 more years that way. In fact, many of them will probably realize that they're not that old at 50 and they'll start second families and go back to work. I think we all take after our parents. If your parents had you when they were between the ages of 18-21, then that is the age you think you're supposed to start a family at. People with older parents usually wait to have children. I know people that say 30 is too young to have kids, but other people will say it's old. In my opinion, I think older parents are more mature and responsible and are financially better off for having kids. Children of older parents tend to grow up to be doctors, lawyers and professionals while the children of younger parents often end up entering the workforce early in lower paying low skill jobs. Then they get married and have kids early and repeat the cycle. I think everybody should take their time growing up and should not rush into things too quickly.
You have to much time on your hands and you answer your own posts.Just saying.
I think

New York, NY

#7 Sep 8, 2013
i think wrote:
<quoted text>
Youshouldblowme. Just because I have a Rome isp doesn't mean I'm the same person that started this post. Did you ever stop to consider that there might be more than one person in Rome with Internet access?
I think you should find some other guy to do that for you. I don't go that way...
chinka

Utica, NY

#8 Sep 9, 2013
The large population of Italians in the Mohawk Valley have contributed to this school of thought. As an ethnic group, they age very poorly and very prematurely. Their face drops, they go gray young, their teeth rot and they balloon way up beyond a normal weight. The trend now is that they are ballooning in grammar school. By the time most Italians are in their 40's they are already experiencing difficulty moving their legs, knees and lots have short term memory problems. I have watched this for years as they troup into the doctor's office looking for a fix when the real problem is lifestyle and lousy genes.
Agreed

Utica, NY

#9 Sep 9, 2013
Im 28 and so sick of people telling me I need to have kids soon because I'm getting old, and "you don't want to be an old mom, do you?"...It's quite hurtful actually because I'm content how I am and not afraid to have a baby in my 30s but they make me second guess it.
donna

Utica, NY

#10 Sep 9, 2013
Agreed wrote:
Im 28 and so sick of people telling me I need to have kids soon because I'm getting old, and "you don't want to be an old mom, do you?"...It's quite hurtful actually because I'm content how I am and not afraid to have a baby in my 30s but they make me second guess it.
Don't second guess it, they don't know what they are talking about. I had my kids in my mid-thirties and have never for one second regretted it. I was mature enough to devote myself completely to them and my husband with no feelings of missing out on anything. When you have your kids a little older, they tend to be very smart--not an old wives tale--ask your doctor. Both my kids were very smart and had no problems in school. They were both capable of reading before kindergarten and that helped them tremendously. By the time I had them, I realized the importance of education and learning at a young age and was able to guide them much better than if I were a really young mom. And yes, you still have plenty of energy to keep up with everything. Best of luck to you and your future children. God Bless You!
so true

Troy, NY

#11 Sep 9, 2013
Agreed wrote:
Im 28 and so sick of people telling me I need to have kids soon because I'm getting old, and "you don't want to be an old mom, do you?"...It's quite hurtful actually because I'm content how I am and not afraid to have a baby in my 30s but they make me second guess it.
Don't buy into the propaganda. Chances are you'll be divorced by your mid 30's if you are a native and have kids in your 20's. This area breeds divorce and negativity because opportunity is limited. Couples who move away or work in a transplant city usually stick together because they both want a better quality of life elsewhere and prolong starting families. Here it's totally backwards and people think their old at 35.
Sorry

New York, NY

#12 Sep 9, 2013
so true wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't buy into the propaganda. Chances are you'll be divorced by your mid 30's if you are a native and have kids in your 20's. This area breeds divorce and negativity because opportunity is limited. Couples who move away or work in a transplant city usually stick together because they both want a better quality of life elsewhere and prolong starting families. Here it's totally backwards and people think their old at 35.
This happens all over, not just here. You should get out more often.
Marilyn Monroe

Needham Heights, MA

#13 Sep 9, 2013
Thought she was old before she died beautiful as ever but thought she was old . She was obviously in her thirties .
Angel

Needham Heights, MA

#14 Sep 9, 2013
Joe Moore girlfriend was told she was old at thirty that's why she dated him . I would bet money on it that's why she settled . It doesn't matter now .
actually

Utica, NY

#15 Sep 9, 2013
If you're healthy and physically fit, then 40 is not old. But if you smoke, drink, are overweight, don't sleep and just plain abuse yourself, then 40 can FEEL old. Other things about a person's appearance like baldness can also add to someone feeling like they're old. Not all people live to be eighty or ninety either. Lots of people die in their sixties and seventies. Age is just a number. Lots of other factors can affect whether a person is old or not.
think

United States

#16 Sep 9, 2013
jeff wrote:
People grow up much faster in the Mohawk Valley than they do in other places. I know people in bigger cities that are in their early forties who are just starting families. But if you look at the average 40 year old in the Mohawk Valley, he is a retired civil servant with grey hair who has two adult children and is a grandfather. People in the Mohawk Valley might think they're old at 40, but the truth is that they're going to live for 40 or 50 more years that way. In fact, many of them will probably realize that they're not that old at 50 and they'll start second families and go back to work. I think we all take after our parents. If your parents had you when they were between the ages of 18-21, then that is the age you think you're supposed to start a family at. People with older parents usually wait to have children. I know people that say 30 is too young to have kids, but other people will say it's old. In my opinion, I think older parents are more mature and responsible and are financially better off for having kids. Children of older parents tend to grow up to be doctors, lawyers and professionals while the children of younger parents often end up entering the workforce early in lower paying low skill jobs. Then they get married and have kids early and repeat the cycle. I think everybody should take their time growing up and should not rush into things too quickly.
Maybe but they take far far longer to mature. People from outside the area find people their age kind of immature and dull. So it all evens out. But yeah 40 is getting old people get that forehead.
yergie

Utica, NY

#17 Sep 9, 2013
think wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe but they take far far longer to mature. People from outside the area find people their age kind of immature and dull. So it all evens out. But yeah 40 is getting old people get that forehead.
like the one looking back at you in the mirror...just saying
The Stud

Ithaca, NY

#18 Sep 9, 2013
I could still use my Balls like I did when I was 25 years old!!!!!
Flap

United States

#19 Sep 9, 2013
yergie wrote:
<quoted text>
like the one looking back at you in the mirror...just saying
Oh lord the usual Utican hurt feelings at the truth. "I know you are but what am I" level of debate. Flap the lobster arms for effect goof more it's funny!
harold

Utica, NY

#20 Sep 9, 2013
Flap wrote:
<quoted text>Oh lord the usual Utican hurt feelings at the truth. "I know you are but what am I" level of debate. Flap the lobster arms for effect goof more it's funny!
It really sucks to be you...just sayin
gunter

Buffalo, NY

#21 Sep 9, 2013
Flap wrote:
<quoted text>Oh lord the usual Utican hurt feelings at the truth. "I know you are but what am I" level of debate. Flap the lobster arms for effect goof more it's funny!
you need a goddam good heart-thumping, toe-curling, mind-blowing screwing on a regular basis. it will release all that pent up sexual energy that you don't know what to do with--directing it at your topix audience isn't the answer.
Kim Basinger

Great Barrington, MA

#22 Sep 12, 2013
Must really feel old . Damn

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shop with a Cop 2 min Utica PBA 8
TRUMP My Stocks 401k Making Money Thanks 20 min El Chapo the dolt 25
News Upstate job growth slow despite taxpayer subsidies (Mar '17) 27 min ConsiderThis 171
Wktv teddy bear toss worst show ever 45 min Patriot 19
Rainbow Appreciation Day 46 min Cowboy 1
Roy Moore 59 min El Chapo the dolt 66
Why does “duh” “El Chapo” “mojo” hate Trump so ... 1 hr El Chapo the dolt 81
Kaitlyn Conley Guilty 2 hr jim 244
NH Hoops Fans 3 hr akjdakd 54
Keeler oweing money 4 hr Taxpayer 44

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages