Cathy Kunkel and the UFD
Catatonic

Watertown, NY

#21 Feb 15, 2009
Greed wrote:
I don't understand what the big deal is that Utica has more than one ambulance service. This city is large enough to support two services, especially with the number of calls that are made from people that just need or want a ride to the ER so they don't have to wait around all night to be seen. I know many UFD and some Kunkel workers and they are both very busy with the amount of calls received daily.
The fact of the matter is Kunkel just does not want to share the profits with another company, that is why Edwards Ambulance service was barred from the city a long time ago.
Kunkel needs to share with UFD...the people of this city will suffer in the long run if UFD is not allowed to operate.
Edwards does not have a license for Utica thats why.
Outrageous

AOL

#22 Feb 15, 2009
Kathy Kunkel charges (at one time)$275 to transport a St E's patient to Faxton! We're sure she's higher now. How dare she?!! After we got her bill, we don't feel sorry for her co. at all.
Catatonic

Watertown, NY

#23 Feb 15, 2009
Utican wrote:
Gee, I'm so glad Ms. Kunkel knew the "FACTS".
Believe me, you probably would wish that she did not know the facts.
Catatonic

Watertown, NY

#24 Feb 15, 2009
news wrote:
You spend 1.5 million on a business, including salaries, your expenses are 1 million, your profit is one-half million. I'd like to own this business.
Just because Kathy Kunkel writes something in the OD doesn't mean its true. Where do you think she obtained her information......? Someone should ask the city comptroller if she was ever in his office getting figures.
The facts come from the UFD budget "acctuaries" . Their accounting method is beginning with the end. That means come up with a profit and tranfix the cost to make it so. It was provided not looked up, just so you know.
Guitar Guy

New York, NY

#25 Feb 15, 2009
Catatonic wrote:
If you find any humor in taxpayers being held hostage or the city administrators charged with wisely using money not doing so you can only be added to the body of total numbness that is the community. How bad is Utica goverment? While people suffer to provide for basic needs locally and nationally we are in a financial freefall the budget coordinators of Utica fear not. Facts provided by the UFD are not only unbelievable but incredulaou and audacious. Whatever the outcome plan on your taxes continuing to rise. In the words of UFD
" ...a private ambulance service ...simply does not have the resources available to it by any means, such as those available to the City."
How about that for arrogance and audacity. How about that for holding you and your checkbook hostage...or maybe you don't pay the taxes in Utica.
Try looking at there "Balance Sheets" if you can stomach it.
Wow, sorry for asking why a Vietnamese guy couldn't eat a burrito. Whew, am I grounded too?
Guitar Guy

New York, NY

#26 Feb 15, 2009
Catatonic wrote:
incredulous
their
While you're at it;
Government
Free fall is two words.
And you jumped at me for the humor in the burrito thing.
Good night.
Catatonic

Watertown, NY

#27 Feb 15, 2009
Guitar Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
While you're at it;
Government
Free fall is two words.
And you jumped at me for the humor in the burrito thing.
Good night.
Not really. Your burrito thing went right past me. It was merely a coincidence that I used the stomach it analogy. Thanks also for the spelling lesson. Actually I am not good at typing. Good night
Guitar Guy

New York, NY

#28 Feb 15, 2009
OK. We're cool then?
I'm not one of those people who likes to smear and start "fights" with people on here.
The spelling thing was in jest as well, seeing how you did it to yourself.
I like to add a bit of humor, as bad as it is, into things sometimes in order to lighten the mood, no disrespect intended.
Again, good night. Its been a very long night and day. My pillow is calling, lol.
Catatonic

Watertown, NY

#29 Feb 15, 2009
Guitar Guy wrote:
OK. We're cool then?
I'm not one of those people who likes to smear and start "fights" with people on here.
The spelling thing was in jest as well, seeing how you did it to yourself.
I like to add a bit of humor, as bad as it is, into things sometimes in order to lighten the mood, no disrespect intended.
Again, good night. Its been a very long night and day. My pillow is calling, lol.
Cool
Guitar Guy

New York, NY

#30 Feb 15, 2009
Euorgos

AOL

#31 Feb 15, 2009
It is just so incredibly obvious that Cathy Kunkel is pissed that she can't have it all. She wants all the ambulance business there is and doesn't want to share a cent with any competition. Kunkel charges hundreds of dollars to transport a patient just a few blocks. Maybe there should be more ambulance services. Kunkel enjoyed a monopoly for many years, and now they don't like it when they have a competitor.
down with kunkel

Syracuse, NY

#32 Feb 15, 2009
Kunkel needs to quit whining and let there be competition, they are really lucky Edwards isnt in Utica because then Kunkel would really be crying. There needs to be more than one service in Utica and if Kunkel cant deal with someone taking their hand over fist profits then go piss off.
Answer me this

Halltown, MO

#33 Feb 15, 2009
The bottom line is simple:
BY law the city is required to be first responder. That means we foot the bill for the truck and guys that show up.
Regardless of Kunkels existance, the UFD would be the first responder and have the associated costs that go with it.
So.. since the UFD is first responder ( BY LAW )AND stabilizes the victim as city taxpayer cost,
can someone tell me WHY they should allow a private company cart off the victim for a high profit?
can someone tell me WHY the city taxpayer should not collect some cash to help defray the cost they already have to pay for ?( meaning firefighters and equipment)
Any takers???
By the way, most City's have fire departments with the same capabilities, why should'nt we?
Chief

Camillus, NY

#34 Feb 15, 2009
There used to be 5 Certificates of Need for the City of Utica. Kunkel bought them all up and got rid of their private competitors. Now they want the monopoly back. I don't know if UFD is really making money on this but I know there must be at leaty twoi ambulance providers to foster competition.
sol rosenberg

Liverpool, NY

#35 Feb 15, 2009
sol rosenberg wrote:
<quoted text>
I took a dump-n-a-kunkle
Did ya ever see a moose knuckle in a kunkle?
MVCC grad

Detroit, MI

#36 Feb 16, 2009
"can someone tell me WHY the city taxpayer should not collect some cash to help defray the cost they already have to pay for ?( meaning firefighters and equipment"

How does the taxpayer collect CASH in this situation? I'm not saying that Kunkle is 100% right, but most of these posts sound like disgruntled paid guys or their trolls.
news

Syracuse, NY

#37 Feb 16, 2009
Answer me this wrote:
The bottom line is simple:
BY law the city is required to be first responder. That means we foot the bill for the truck and guys that show up.
Regardless of Kunkels existance, the UFD would be the first responder and have the associated costs that go with it.
So.. since the UFD is first responder ( BY LAW )AND stabilizes the victim as city taxpayer cost,
can someone tell me WHY they should allow a private company cart off the victim for a high profit?
can someone tell me WHY the city taxpayer should not collect some cash to help defray the cost they already have to pay for ?( meaning firefighters and equipment)
Any takers???
By the way, most City's have fire departments with the same capabilities, why should'nt we?
Is it true that the city has to be the first responder"BY LAW"?
Catatonic

Watertown, NY

#38 Feb 16, 2009
Chief wrote:
There used to be 5 Certificates of Need for the City of Utica. Kunkel bought them all up and got rid of their private competitors. Now they want the monopoly back. I don't know if UFD is really making money on this but I know there must be at leaty twoi ambulance providers to foster competition.
Certiciates are not PURCHASED
Responder

Clinton, NY

#39 Feb 16, 2009
news wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it true that the city has to be the first responder"BY LAW"?
No that is not quite true.

Under NYS Home Rule Laws, the City does have the responsibility to provide public safety to their citizens. This means that they have to provide, police, fire, ems coverage. Now this does not mean that Utica themselves need to have an ambulance, it can be through another agency just so long as it's provided.

Say there were two private ambulance companies who have a certificate to operate in the city, the city would also have the right to contract with one of those agencies and designate them to be the primary responder. This is the case now in other areas of the Valley.

While the city has no obiligation to have an city owned ambulance service, they do have certain rights and Kunkel should recognize this.

From my perspective, you have two hard heads, Kathy Kunkel and Russ Brooks, who created this mess by not playing nice.

With this said, I personally support Utica for one simple reason, there needs to be some type of redundency in this system. Question, what would happen if Kunkel decided to go out of business next week? They are a private business and can be driven by the decision of one owner. Who would pickup the pieces?

Kunkel also has a large service area outside of the city of Utica, a large incident there could leave the city with a void in service.

There is plenty of calls to go around, the City and Kunkel need to sit down and work out their differences, because I do believe that this decision by the local ems board will be reversed somewhere at a higher level. Do you think for a moment, that the NYS Legislature, after affirming that municipalities have the right to operate an ambulance service will reverse themselves?

Two fine agencies, both have done much for EMS in the area, I remember taking my EMT class many years ago from Capt Tony Skane of UFD. Jack Kunkel has also been a leader in seeing that numerous improvements were made in the EMS system. It is really to bad that good people can't sit down and work things out.

People, take the blinders off your eyes and look around, do whats right for Patient Care and stop talking about money, it makes you all look so bad.
Uncle Fester

Utica, NY

#40 Feb 16, 2009
This only shows how dumb the people of Utica really are. There are so many other things that need to be addressed in Utica like the craders in the streets that destroy your tires when you hit them and the lack of Businesses in the city. Funny how Utica went from a city of 1 hundred thousand to a city of 60 its because of the dumb and arrogant officials who run this city who ruin it.
I was at that meeting at and I was asshamed of the mayor and his puppet nephew who did nothing but talk and laugh. My guess is that the yellow strip down there back proved true since they only stayed to here Brooks comments and not the other comments. Had a big dinner planned maybe? Go and eat and make sure this Renaissance city you renamed Mayor Roefaro becomes more of a Jurassic Park ready for extinction.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Legal "illegal" Marijuana being sold in all the... 20 min Malinowski 7
R.Cassidy (Oct '13) 23 min Good time 4
Is Jeff Delude Utica hottest 2001 graduate? 30 min SallyBouvierPanasen 10
News Trial date set for accused triple homicide susp... 2 hr Upstate 2
was trooper justified shooting unarmed escapee 3 hr Justified 20
Whitesboro Fire Department 5 hr buy your vote 6
Teachers Make More Money Than Lawyers In Utica? (Mar '13) 6 hr In shock 145
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE