yupper

Herkimer, NY

#73 Mar 28, 2013
Yep wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree he most likely will find a way to keep it open. The local politicians always seem to find a way to spend taxpayer monies with getting nothing substantial in return. Oneida County has been pushing the Griffiss International Airport since 2006 with minimal results. If it was critical that the tower be manned the FAA would continue to provide funds...
Yeah he will frame it with something like "but if we do this, it will save jobs!!!" Yeah, the government spending yet more money where private business should be.
Prisons And a School

United States

#74 Mar 28, 2013
The whole Griffis International Airport thing always intrigued me. Aren't airports usually in places that people live and want to go to? I mean seriously...who would be flying into rome especially with Syracuse 30 miles away?
CCP

New Hartford, NY

#75 Mar 28, 2013
Prisons And a School wrote:
The whole Griffis International Airport thing always intrigued me. Aren't airports usually in places that people live and want to go to? I mean seriously...who would be flying into rome especially with Syracuse 30 miles away?
It was a very nice day today, casually reading a post here and there, because you finally STFU for a few hours.
Prisons And Forts

United States

#76 Mar 28, 2013
CCP wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a very nice day today, casually reading a post here and there, because you finally STFU for a few hours.
Don't be jealous Whitesboro trash. Someday you can move out too.
Proud Patriot

United States

#77 Mar 29, 2013
Here we go again, TAXING TONY PICENTE is going to spend our hard earned money to prop up the joke called Griffiss (INTERNATIONAL) Airport. The FAA determined after a study of all airports in the country that Griffiss did not have enough air traffic to keep paying $500,000 per year to man the control tower. Enter TAXING TONY, now the hard working taxpaying people of Oneida County will pay to man the tower. The County has been pumping money into this loser airport for to long. SHUT IT DOWN
THE TAXES ARE KILLING ONEIDA COUNTY
Fort Prison

United States

#78 Mar 29, 2013
Proud Patriot wrote:
Here we go again, TAXING TONY PICENTE is going to spend our hard earned money to prop up the joke called Griffiss (INTERNATIONAL) Airport. The FAA determined after a study of all airports in the country that Griffiss did not have enough air traffic to keep paying $500,000 per year to man the control tower. Enter TAXING TONY, now the hard working taxpaying people of Oneida County will pay to man the tower. The County has been pumping money into this loser airport for to long. SHUT IT DOWN
THE TAXES ARE KILLING ONEIDA COUNTY
I agree. Waste of money.
save the tower

Syracuse, NY

#79 Mar 31, 2013
How can it be a waste of money when the military does touch and go landings, fixed winged aircraft all over the place and huge hangers that refurbish airplanes. Sounds like they need a lookout tower to me.
Hmmm

Camillus, NY

#80 Mar 31, 2013
save the tower wrote:
How can it be a waste of money when the military does touch and go landings, fixed winged aircraft all over the place and huge hangers that refurbish airplanes. Sounds like they need a lookout tower to me.
If the FAA thought the tower was required to be manned wouldn't they have provided the money to do so??? IMHO it is not needed. If the County does keep it open I hope they provide all of their constituents the results of their analysis clearly showing the financial benefits of spending $300k to $500K to keep it open. That is if they even do an analysis....
common cents

Syracuse, NY

#81 Mar 31, 2013
What if there was a major catastrophe in the area and we needed cargo planes to deliver much needed emergency supplies. What then,who would direct all these planes on and off the runway ?
Nope

Camillus, NY

#82 Mar 31, 2013
common cents wrote:
What if there was a major catastrophe in the area and we needed cargo planes to deliver much needed emergency supplies. What then,who would direct all these planes on and off the runway ?
If necessary they would have to fly into Syracuse or Albany... Limited planes could still land here as well without a manned tower. Not a big deal. No area can allocate funds to cover all unlikely events that could occur. When was the last time something like this was necessary in our area? Even if a catastrophic event which required this type of support occurred once every 100 years is it worth paying an additional $400K per year or $40M over 100 years to reduce the response time by maybe 1 to 3 hours? Oneida county can not fund for all what-ifs that could occur. Using your analogy shuld NY State require airports in every vicinity that currently did not have one as a catastrophe could occur there? I think not...
wrong

Herkimer, NY

#83 Mar 31, 2013
common cents wrote:
then you call in the appropriate personnel for such an emergency.
Pete

United States

#84 Mar 31, 2013
Close the whole place down. Stop wasting our tax dollars.The place has lived its usefulness and now its time to move on. Not fund it for a few rich people with planes and the military touch and goes. Start up the bulldozers!!
Forts And Prisons

United States

#85 Mar 31, 2013
Pete wrote:
Close the whole place down. Stop wasting our tax dollars.The place has lived its usefulness and now its time to move on. Not fund it for a few rich people with planes and the military touch and goes. Start up the bulldozers!!
I agree. Raze the fort too. Get that abomination off the books.
wright brothers

Syracuse, NY

#86 Apr 5, 2013
They're going to keep it open a little longer !
orville

Syracuse, NY

#87 Apr 5, 2013
Till June 15 !
Stanwix Prison

Schenectady, NY

#88 Apr 5, 2013
Why does anyone think keeping a tower active is a good thing? Seriously.
extraterrestrial alien

Syracuse, NY

#89 Apr 6, 2013
Keep it open for safety's sake.!
Stanwix Prison

Schenectady, NY

#90 Apr 6, 2013
extraterrestrial alien wrote:
Keep it open for safety's sake.!
Safety from what?
nice

Utica, NY

#91 Apr 6, 2013
the county will end up paying for the tower employees,, this is what other county's are doing... they are organizing this with the tower operators employment,, hopefully our county will do the right thing and org a nice deal but we the tax payers don't want to pay the same price the gov paid them
Pete

United States

#92 Apr 8, 2013
Then they can add job numbers to the BullS@*t board at the entrance to the place,claiming all the jobs there. Stop the waste of tax payer money! Close it down.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last 3 Letters of a word into 3 new words. (Dec '09) 8 min Having Fun 1,963
How Much Does H & R Block charge To Do Your Taxes (Jan '09) 24 min Donna J 634
utica college sucks (Aug '10) 54 min drop out 61
Trattoria Calabria 1 hr Johnny 3
Are Italian people Caucasian? 2 hr Welfare Wally World 3
Hotel Utica 3 hr PalmGreasy 22
News More people are binge drinking in Oneida County 3 hr Depressing CNY 13
utica dpw illegal dumping 7 hr PalmGreasy 8
Palmieri: This is you and all before. 7 hr time machine 21
Carbone auto group 8 hr Steet 22