Who Remembers the old Sangertown Center Court?

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Level 3

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#1 Jul 31, 2013
Who remembers the old Center Court? I liked how you could step down into it, I thought that was cool. I can remember it form about 96' or 97'. I was about 6, and I didn't see it much until it's final days, in about 2003 I want to say? I don't remember exactly what year, but I think that's about right. The only real place that sticks out to me is Hemstrought's. I remember getting Half Moons there with my mother is I was good in Kaufman's. I can't remember what year it was in there though. I want to say late 90's, but i could be wrong. Anyone want to help out?
Kiss My Azz

Utica, NY

#2 Jul 31, 2013
I remember center court from the mid 80's. You would walk down those steps to a restaurant called something like Margarita's. Really cool concept. Once they left, center court was ocassionally occupied with kiosks especially at Christmas and santa. when unoccupied, center court was used to host bridal shows, kids beauty pageants, fashion shows, a big yellow bus full of toys etc. In about 2003 a huge tent was constructed to protect consumers from debris as they removed center court and made it what it is today.
Spencer Gifts

Syracuse, NY

#3 Jul 31, 2013
In the 80s they started out with a circular restaurant "Margarita's" right in that center...
Olde Phartt

Utica, NY

#4 Jul 31, 2013
Maragarita's 3 for 1 Thursdays!
Snow

Greensboro, NC

#5 Jul 31, 2013
Before Margarita's there was a huge fountain in the middle that people kept putting detergent in, so they got rid of that pretty fast! Also the roller rink and the arcade and Cinema 6. And let's not forget actual food in the food court instead of just jewelry stores. I spent a lot of time at that mall when it was new and exciting, it's sad to see it now, but times change, nothing stays the same.
snow bird

Camden, NY

#6 Jul 31, 2013
The mall is better than it has ever been. We have most of the mainstream American brands all in one location - H&M, Hollister, Target, Macy's, JC Penny, etc. The only thing that sucks about the mall is the food. I would love to see a Chipolte or Jamba Juice or Pink Berry open up where the old Friendly's used to be.

As for memory lane, who remembers the bookstore that used to be where Dicks Sporting Goods currently is? I forget what it was called. I remember it being there circa 1996-98.

Level 3

Location hidden

#7 Jul 31, 2013
I can't remember if there was an arcade in Center Court. Cyberstaion maybe? Or was that somewhere's else? I might be thinking of a different mall, but I'm pretty sure it was Sangertown. The mall does have an impressive line up of store, however. Some of the stores that we have no would be unheard of in this are in the 90's. If the Cinemas, a couple of decent sit-in restaurants, and an arcade would truly make this a mall worth going to. I've actually tweeted the mall's Twitter an old picture of the Cinema's and said they should bring them back. They said they would take it up to management. If they actually do get the Cinemas back, I will be truly be SURPRISED.
Bones

Utica, NY

#8 Jul 31, 2013
snow bird wrote:
As for memory lane, who remembers the bookstore that used to be where Dicks Sporting Goods currently is? I forget what it was called. I remember it being there circa 1996-98.
Was that Waldenbooks??

Who remember the roller skating rink. Ah the days of my youth watching the girls skate and playing pinball lol
back in the day

Cortland, NY

#9 Jul 31, 2013
Margarita's was awesome!!!!! I wonder why they left? It was always busy. Great food, drinks, and friends!! Sure do miss that place!
Ellen

New York, NY

#11 Jul 31, 2013
Hey where was the skating rink? I remember the mall pretty well, but I do not remember a skating rink. How long was it open?
amazing

Bronx, NY

#12 Jul 31, 2013
snow bird wrote:
The mall is better than it has ever been. We have most of the mainstream American brands all in one location - H&M, Hollister, Target, Macy's, JC Penny, etc. The only thing that sucks about the mall is the food. I would love to see a Chipolte or Jamba Juice or Pink Berry open up where the old Friendly's used to be.
Dalton's Books?
amazing

Bronx, NY

#13 Jul 31, 2013
Yes....maybe Walden's.
rink

Cortland, NY

#14 Jul 31, 2013
never was a skating rink
hank brackett

Liverpool, NY

#15 Jul 31, 2013
There was a skating rink - It was over in the Target wing where PayLess Shoes is now. There were 2 bookstores - Waldenbooks & B Dalton. Waldenbooks was in the Hess wing where Bath & Body Works is and B Dalton was in the Penneys wing. The mall has gone downhill from what it used to be.
lillykim

Worcester, MA

#16 Jul 31, 2013
snow bird wrote:

I love jamba but don't think this area would support it
lillykim

Worcester, MA

#17 Jul 31, 2013
Ellen wrote:
Hey where was the skating rink? I remember the mall pretty well, but I do not remember a skating rink. How long was it open?
Where the movie theatre was. It was open so mall people could watch

Level 3

Location hidden

#18 Jul 31, 2013
Ellen wrote:
It was where Payless is now. It was only open for about the first year or so the mall was open. That was there before my time, but my older brother had been there when hes was young.
Snow

Greensboro, NC

#20 Jul 31, 2013
I was going to answer a few of you but then I read more of this thread and saw that Hank said everything I was going to say, so yeah - what Hank said!
Snow

Greensboro, NC

#21 Jul 31, 2013
I'm thinking some of you might be a lot younger than me. The rollerskating rink was open in the early 80s, I spend many weekends there.
Snow

Greensboro, NC

#22 Jul 31, 2013
Sorry, I spent many weekends there, not spend.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Most liberals have a low IQ 10 min The REAL takers 13
NH School Board Election 2 hr Caller Number Seven 1
married 3 hr jake 5
state testing 4 hr hooray 65
Love 4 hr truth 5
Movers & moving companies (Jul '13) 5 hr cum laude 31
People that Invite U 2 Lunch & Talk on Their Ph... 7 hr Bruce J 5
How Much Does H & R Block charge To Do Your Taxes (Jan '09) 13 hr Cathy 630
WKTV-Smith 23 hr Duke 12
Carbone auto group Thu Huge 16