need name of honest contractor

need name of honest contractor

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
homeowner

Carthage, NY

#1 Mar 23, 2014
I am looking for a contractor that guarantees his work, can install wood flooring, quartz countertops, stove exhaust hood, upgrade bathroom and do siding.

I am a senior citizen living on a fixed income, but willing to pay cash to the right contractor who is fully insured.
Been There

Whitesboro, NY

#2 Mar 23, 2014
Check with the better business bureau. Get references. And don't pay the whole bill up front. Have the contractor order the supplies, then go to wherever he orders them from & pay for them yourself. That way you can't get ripped off. There are plenty of contractors around here who will rob you blind. Be very, very careful who you hire.
homeowner

Carthage, NY

#3 Mar 23, 2014
Been There wrote:
Check with the better business bureau. Get references. And don't pay the whole bill up front. Have the contractor order the supplies, then go to wherever he orders them from & pay for them yourself. That way you can't get ripped off. There are plenty of contractors around here who will rob you blind. Be very, very careful who you hire.
Thank you.

I know from experience all the crooks out there! Even a family relative ripped me off on a roofing contract.

As far as I know, there is NO Better Business Bureau in Utica - it is now handled out of Syracuse. I believe the best way is to start asking my friends names of people they have used and were satisfied. I've heard excellent recommendations, so far, about the Bosian contractors and how good they are at what they do and they also do quality work.
Smooth Sally

Stafford Springs, CT

#5 Mar 23, 2014
homeowner wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you.
I know from experience all the crooks out there! Even a family relative ripped me off on a roofing contract.
As far as I know, there is NO Better Business Bureau in Utica - it is now handled out of Syracuse. I believe the best way is to start asking my friends names of people they have used and were satisfied. I've heard excellent recommendations, so far, about the Bosian contractors and how good they are at what they do and they also do quality work.
.

Most of the Bosnian contractors do not have insurance. Have them list you as an additional insured on their policy and get a copy of the certificate with you listed. Or call their insurance company to verify the policy is still in effect. They will often get a policy and cancel it one week later and still use the policy to say that they are insured after the policy has been canceled.
been there

Whitesboro, NY

#6 Mar 23, 2014
homeowner wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you.
I know from experience all the crooks out there! Even a family relative ripped me off on a roofing contract.
As far as I know, there is NO Better Business Bureau in Utica - it is now handled out of Syracuse. I believe the best way is to start asking my friends names of people they have used and were satisfied. I've heard excellent recommendations, so far, about the Bosian contractors and how good they are at what they do and they also do quality work.
You can check contractors on the BBB website.
Been there

Clark Mills, NY

#7 Mar 23, 2014
John Sullivan. Best and most honest!
homeowner

Carthage, NY

#8 Mar 23, 2014
Smooth Sally wrote:
<quoted text>.
Most of the Bosnian contractors do not have insurance. Have them list you as an additional insured on their policy and get a copy of the certificate with you listed. Or call their insurance company to verify the policy is still in effect. They will often get a policy and cancel it one week later and still use the policy to say that they are insured after the policy has been canceled.
I know all the "tricks" like this.

If and when I hire someone, I will ask for a Certificate of Insurance that only can be issued by their Insurance Agency and is documentation that their insurance coverage is in full force.

Thanks for letting others know about this little fraud game used by so many.
homeowner

Carthage, NY

#9 Mar 23, 2014
been there wrote:
<quoted text>You can check contractors on the BBB website.
Thanks for this "tip" - I will also looke up John Sullivan's # and see if I can contact him. Thanks for all the valuable help you've given me.
Go to

Herkimer, NY

#10 Mar 23, 2014
Go to local suppliers, not Home Depot, lowes or 84 lumbers and ask them for referrals
Beware

Massena, NY

#11 Mar 23, 2014
Bsnians work cheap substandard work you will be sorry and be careful they don't come back and rob your house
homeowner

Carthage, NY

#12 Mar 23, 2014
Go to wrote:
Go to local suppliers, not Home Depot, lowes or 84 lumbers and ask them for referrals
Someone once told me to do this BUT watch for the contractors who come and pick up their supplies as usually their phone number is listed on their PU truck!

Thanks for refreshing my mind - I will try this as I have had trouble trying to find any contractor by the name of John Sullivan.
jim

Cleveland, NY

#14 Mar 25, 2014
C & G Contracting.
Wow

Massena, NY

#15 Mar 25, 2014
"Honest contractor"... Sounds like an oxymoron...like honest car salesman...famous last words..."trust me!"
american workers

Whitesboro, NY

#16 Mar 26, 2014
Wow wrote:
"Honest contractor"... Sounds like an oxymoron...like honest car salesman...famous last words..."trust me!"
they all will promise you the world and deliver nothing, get it in writing. don't use Bosnian contractors the quality of work is HORRIBLE trust me youll be sorry!
jim

Cleveland, NY

#17 Mar 26, 2014
I'm sorry. I meant C&G Construction.
Barretta

Utica, NY

#18 Mar 26, 2014
Victor the stucco guy.
dummypants

United States

#19 Mar 26, 2014
Anyone whose name doesn't end in a vowel.
think about last posts

Utica, NY

#20 Mar 26, 2014
Barretta wrote:
Victor the stucco guy.
He's Bosnian !!
Truth

Utica, NY

#21 Mar 26, 2014
Does Angie's List work for things like this?
I was going to try it but found there was fee. Since I don't have specific task right now I didn't pay to sign on. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with that.
Home Owner

Pine Bush, NY

#22 Mar 26, 2014
Andy Rossi, Rome NY. Great work, great workers, decent price

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Not All Nazis Are Bad 2 hr Forum Thread Anno... 53
No Downtown hospital 2 hr Reason 114
General herkimer 3 hr Bewareofbeingeaten 1
Carissa Fuentes 4 hr Handsom man in love 4
Tried Anal-Hated It! 4 hr Minature golf 4 42
How can people fake entire relationships? 4 hr BBW Lover 3
Trump needs to be impeached 4 hr Former Utican 143
Stay Away from these Contractors 12 hr Bossy 40
Let's tear down Martin Luther King's statue 15 hr Helen Lawson 112
Matt Funeral Services Rutger St. Utica NY 16 hr Joe P 8
Who remembers - Leather bottle, Friar's Inn, Bo... (Aug '08) 18 hr memories 256

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages