Food Stamp cuts affect local families and food pantries

Nov 1, 2013 Full story: WKTV 51

Oneida County families brace as billions of dollars are cut from food stamps, leaving families on SNAP with less money to use while food shopping.

Full Story
Dan

New Hartford, NY

#21 Nov 3, 2013
Coalminersdaughter wrote:
How about all those who are dissing people on Food Stamps taking a few minutes and use your brain and not your mouth for a little while. Not everyone who are on them are the lazy worthless bums you all are tagging them as! Several years ago when my three children were small I had to go on them for almost two years, my husband was hit by a drunk driver and hurt badly, before this he and i both worked everyday , but with him disabled it was left to me alone to pay all our bills and continue to provide for the five of us until he was able to return to work. If it had not been for the stamps coming every month we would have starved, every penny was going for bills and gas to get me back to work. So as you try to throw a blanket over everyone who receives them try to have the knowledge to know that not everyone who receives them is milking the system. And weather they are or not there are still those who depend on them to eat and feed their family. Why is it that when it comes to helping and providing for anyone other than Americans this country is more than ready to dish it out , but when it's own needs help they are a bunch of mooches and to lazy to do for them selves??????
Adapt and Overcome. Do you see what is pulled out of WalMart by people using EBT cards? i work hard and its tough to make ends meet. I dont get assistance. Make other people be responsile for themselves. Survival of the fittest. Forget the rest.
ima-Ilis Myka Ashanti

El Paso, TX

#22 Nov 3, 2013
get off your rear ends GET A JOB, even two jobs is better and stop expecting your messiah to spoon feed you and all the kids you really can't feed yourself! How could anyone feel comfortable being supported with tax payer's money? I'd be embarrassed!
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#24 Nov 3, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>Adapt and Overcome. Do you see what is pulled out of WalMart by people using EBT cards? i work hard and its tough to make ends meet. I dont get assistance. Make other people be responsile for themselves. Survival of the fittest. Forget the rest.
The vast majority of Americans receiving SNAP benefits are working - often for substandard wages at billionaire dollar companies. Maybe if those companies treated their workers with dignity, the food stamp rolls would decrease.
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#25 Nov 3, 2013
ima-Ilis Myka Ashanti wrote:
get off your rear ends GET A JOB, even two jobs is better and stop expecting your messiah to spoon feed you and all the kids you really can't feed yourself! How could anyone feel comfortable being supported with tax payer's money? I'd be embarrassed!
Just because someone is poor doesn't mean they should be treated like dirt. Do you like your time off from work to enjoy life? Most likely. Low-income workers are no different. So don't preach about working a second job.
give out seeds not money

Utica, NY

#26 Nov 3, 2013
Hand out seeds instead of the free food. I GROW my own damn food!
police

Bardstown, KY

#27 Nov 3, 2013
half price food stamps wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, who is the real stupid one? I pay half price for my food and you pay the full shot. Most people on food stamps have brand new cell phones, big screen t.v.'s and better vehicles than me and you drive. By the way did I mention that 9 out of ten food stamp receivers are over weight and there kids all get fed for free by the school district. What a county and state we live in?
Well I think that they should track your ip and arrest you for buying the food stamps and the people selling them to you.. it is illegal for them to be sold thus you should get in trouble for buying them. same as a drug dealer selling drugs to a junky you being the junky. both people go to jail if caught and by this comment your admitting your guilt

Level 3

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#28 Nov 3, 2013
fact wrote:
This was only supposed to be a temporary increase in food stamps, not permanent, be grateful at least, nothing is being taken away.
Whiny leeches don't do "grateful". If you covered 95% of their monthly bills, they'd still whine that they had to come up with the difference.

And, we need to put the stigma back into the equation. Bring back the booklets of actual stamps. Letting the leeches feel like they're just swiping their pain-free AmEx cards just encourages their irresponsible behavior - at our expense.
new cars no job how

Brooklyn, NY

#29 Nov 3, 2013
you know my 2 neighbors both have new cars and don't work.one is on the road all day but no job how dose she afford the gas? you know they both on checks cause they told me.at 5:00 on morning this guy came to my door with a wad of 100$ bills thought I was treasea . I was half a sleep took the money thought it was a paper from management then looked and handed it back no dude you got the wrong house.next town house over? oh ok I don't know whats going on around here! my first thought drugs! or a ho. but she do take pills she so sick all the time headaches .my ass I don't buy that and she always so depressed.im the working poor I don't have a new car.they sit on their ass and drive new cars. whats up with that?
new cars no job how

Brooklyn, NY

#30 Nov 3, 2013
More Questions wrote:
For those concerned about less food stamp money ask yourself these questions: Am I living in a place I can afford? Is there something that costs less or could I get a roommate? Do I need to go out to eat as much? Maybe I can go to Mickey D's as a special treat instead of weekly. Can I follow a budget and set aside money for birthday and Christmas presents? Does my child need more than one thoughtful Christmas present? Or $100 sneakers? Do I need that hot new pair of hooker boots? Do I get my nails done? What 's more important, vegetables or potato chips? Do I spend money on cigarettes and pot? Is there beer in my fridge? Do I need coffee at Dunkin Donuts on the way to work? Maybe I can skip a vacation? Fact is the people who 'need' assistance nowadays do not really need it. The take it because they can. And all you young kids having babies and signing up for WIC? You're just as bad.
this is the truth they live better then we do and we work! they need to stop the ssi too. change the rules or something to make it harder. just cause you depressed you get a check! that's why the countrys broke!
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#31 Nov 3, 2013
police wrote:
<quoted text>Well I think that they should track your ip and arrest you for buying the food stamps and the people selling them to you.. it is illegal for them to be sold thus you should get in trouble for buying them. same as a drug dealer selling drugs to a junky you being the junky. both people go to jail if caught and by this comment your admitting your guilt
You can't "buy" food stamps. Eligible recipients are given an EBT card loaded with monthly cash. I suppose you could sell purchased food at a discount. But really, how many people buy bags of groceries from strangers??? The allegations of fraud are overblown and peddled by politicians hostile to SNAP.
Joe

Hollywood, FL

#32 Nov 3, 2013
new cars no job how wrote:
<quoted text>this is the truth they live better then we do and we work! they need to stop the ssi too. change the rules or something to make it harder. just cause you depressed you get a check! that's why the countrys broke!
Number 1., the USA is not broke.

Number 2., instead of attacking people on public assistance, go after the real programs that bust the budget -- defense and agriculture.
More Questions

South New Berlin, NY

#33 Nov 3, 2013
Coalminersdaughter wrote:
How about all those who are dissing people on Food Stamps taking a few minutes and use your brain and not your mouth for a little while. Not everyone who are on them are the lazy worthless bums you all are tagging them as! Several years ago when my three children were small I had to go on them for almost two years, my husband was hit by a drunk driver and hurt badly, before this he and i both worked everyday , but with him disabled it was left to me alone to pay all our bills and continue to provide for the five of us until he was able to return to work. If it had not been for the stamps coming every month we would have starved, every penny was going for bills and gas to get me back to work. So as you try to throw a blanket over everyone who receives them try to have the knowledge to know that not everyone who receives them is milking the system. And weather they are or not there are still those who depend on them to eat and feed their family. Why is it that when it comes to helping and providing for anyone other than Americans this country is more than ready to dish it out , but when it's own needs help they are a bunch of mooches and to lazy to do for them selves??????
Not dissing everyone. Especially not you, yours is the situation I am happy to pay taxes for. You worked, it was through no fault of your own and you got off it when you could. It could happen to anyone at anytime. What I have a problem with is people who abuse the system. Surely you can admit that the more people who take advantage of the food stamp program then the less there will be for people in your type of situation. As far as other countries? I would prefer my money go to education and building wells. Just blindly giving food is short sighted. Hope your husband is doing well.
low life

Brooklyn, NY

#34 Nov 3, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Number 2., instead of attacking people on public assistance, go after the real programs that bust the budget -- defense and agriculture.
so I take it your on wellfair ok well 15$ a month how can people miss that I mean what can you buy for food with that. its not a big deal. they should be happy they get any. instead of wanting more. some people don't get any. some people I know don't have much but they wont take it cause they have pride!
HighFinance

Utica, NY

#35 Nov 3, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
. Oh really? The USA is not broke (yet) because of the 17 billion dollar debt and the fact that some suckers are still willing to lend money to a government that spends money more quickly than drunk sailors. Cuts have to be made EVERYWHERE Food stamps is only a first, very tiny, step.
Jack

Alexandria, VA

#36 Nov 4, 2013
I wish people would stop talking about the people that need it. We are referring to the ones that do e. Stop bringing them up. They have nothing to mod with the conversation. The fact is that many abuse it. I think people that cry bout people bitching are people that never knew someone that abused it. Good for you, unfortunately many people know a dirtbag like this. They apply for heap and rent assistance yet they still go out? Guess what? You don't get to order pizza and go out to eat. You don't get to go to bars and buy booze and smokes. I don't when I don't have the money. Scale down the SUV. Drive a smaller car. You don't need another ring or an upgraded smart phone. I own a refurbished lg phone, not an I phone. That's what can pay for out of my pocket, not on the government or over extended credit. Get a reality check if you think that the is a small handful of people. They ruin it for the good people that DO need it. They would have more to go around instead of making it last. Corporate welfare sucks as well. This still does not give the right to rob the system.
Truth

Utica, NY

#37 Nov 4, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Number 1 - If the US wasn't broke then there would be no need for selling bonds to cover deficits and there would not be a nearly $17 trillion cumulative national debt.

Number 2 - Defense is third behind (1st)Social Security and (2nd)Medicare which are at 33% and 25% of the 2013 budget respectively. The military(defense)is 17% and agriculture comes in a 4% which is 2% less than the interest on the national debt.

In all, the entitlements plus interest ion the outstanding debt take up 63% of the annual budget. As the cumulative national debt increases the interest payments will go up. Think about that when the battle over raising the debt ceiling starts up again in a few months.
My Opinion

Utica, NY

#38 Nov 4, 2013
I have no problem with people who are trying their best but still need assistance. What gets me aggravated is when people who are already struggling and needing assistance keep having more kids..I mean, use common sense .. if you can't feed, clothe and provide school supplies for the ones you already have without begging for handouts, why bring more innocent babies into the misery?

Then blame those of us who didn't have more kids than we can afford and call us selfish and heartless when we are tired of paying higher and higher taxes to support everyone else's.
welfare

Brooklyn, NY

#39 Nov 4, 2013
My Opinion wrote:
I have no problem with people who are trying their best but still need assistance. What gets me aggravated is when people who are already struggling and needing assistance keep having more kids..I mean, use common sense .. if you can't feed, clothe and provide school supplies for the ones you already have without begging for handouts, why bring more innocent babies into the misery?
Then blame those of us who didn't have more kids than we can afford and call us selfish and heartless when we are tired of paying higher and higher taxes to support everyone else's.
this is the truth. we have one we would love a boy but the way the world it to day we are not having any more we are thankful for what we have. we say that all the time people should not have all those kids with no money the kids are the ones that suffer. raise them on welfare and the kids have nothing. whats wrong with these people ? maybe they have no self control and get cought up in the moment. they need to have some self control!
just saying

Cabot, AR

#40 Nov 4, 2013
new cars no job how wrote:
<quoted text>this is the truth they live better then we do and we work! they need to stop the ssi too. change the rules or something to make it harder. just cause you depressed you get a check! that's why the countrys broke!
SSI is hard to get if you need it. I know a person that got SSI on her son because he was hyperactive while another person was dying with cancer and couldn't get his started until he was dead for two months!
just saying

Cabot, AR

#41 Nov 4, 2013
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>You can't "buy" food stamps. Eligible recipients are given an EBT card loaded with monthly cash. I suppose you could sell purchased food at a discount. But really, how many people buy bags of groceries from strangers??? The allegations of fraud are overblown and peddled by politicians hostile to SNAP.
You go into the store with that person and buy groceries. My aunt's neighbor was doing it until someone turned her in.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Planet fitness riverside center utica ny 8 min poiuy 28
Dallas a father or a prostitute monger 13 min An old buddy 1
Dave Smith,Clifton Park-"Never buy a used car f... 18 min nortutica 4
City attorney Borrill sucks 32 min Dingy 4
Parole Officer Incident at Denny's 35 min THE DODGE PUNK 287
Is Bruce Jenner becoming a woman? 42 min wondering 1
Utica restaurant named too 100 in the country 1 hr Billy HAMBONE Wil... 58
Nativity scene at NHFD offensive 2 hr Morals 44
Shame on Fire Chief Russell Brooks 2 hr Morals 60
Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:01 am PST

NBC Sports11:01AM
Bills officially activate Spiller
NBC Sports11:10 AM
Where does Rex Ryan land after this season?
NBC Sports11:31 AM
Bills RB Spiller activated - NBC Sports
Yahoo! Sports11:31 AM
Bills RB Spiller activated, probable
ESPN11:45 AM
Source: Bills' Spiller expected to play Sunday
ESPN 1:35 PM
Redskins WR Moss docked $22,050 for tirade
NBC Sports 1:37 PM
Washington's Moss fined $22K for abusive language - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 2:40 PM
Calvin Pace says it has "been a pleasure" to play the Patriots