Next Last
joe post

Utica, NY

#1 Sep 5, 2012
are there too many too name?
are you the one

Utica, NY

#2 Sep 5, 2012
You are just starting something new here, why???
lol

United States

#3 Sep 5, 2012
Salatino
Scammatino

Utica, NY

#4 Sep 5, 2012
Yes it does start at the TOP!!
no shock

Newark, NJ

#5 Sep 5, 2012
Any and all security. Look at the budget and see how much that accounts for. If admin had a sack, the kids who cause trouble would be removed and put into alternative Ed. But they are too worried about hurting their feelings and inconviencing the parents.
always been

Utica, NY

#6 Sep 5, 2012
just names change. board members administrators,now security,and all the dinosaur teachers who have been around forever,you know who they are.

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#7 Sep 5, 2012
no shock wrote:
Any and all security. Look at the budget and see how much that accounts for. If admin had a sack, the kids who cause trouble would be removed and put into alternative Ed. But they are too worried about hurting their feelings and inconviencing the parents.
No,State aid...
Anotherone

East Syracuse, NY

#8 Sep 5, 2012
joe post wrote:
are there too many too name?
Another busybody get a life what are u trying to say you paranoid nitwit
hank hill

Sylacauga, AL

#9 Sep 5, 2012
KY WELLER wrote:
<quoted text> No,State aid...
yes! Gotta get that state aid.

They should change it so test scores have to reflect actual teaching skills rather than head count to get that almighty state aid...but then there'd only be maybe one school open in all of upstate and more punk's wandering the streets...

yeah I guess there's no real solution to this problem other than mandatory boot camp.
agreed

Utica, NY

#10 Sep 6, 2012
you are so right

Level 9

Location hidden

#11 Sep 6, 2012
hank hill wrote:
<quoted text>
yes! Gotta get that state aid.
They should change it so test scores have to reflect actual teaching skills rather than head count to get that almighty state aid...but then there'd only be maybe one school open in all of upstate and more punk's wandering the streets...
yeah I guess there's no real solution to this problem other than mandatory boot camp.
Test scores aren't everything, they should be part of it. You can't punish a teacher for the students who refuse to learn,or truly stupid kids.
Been there - done that

Whitesboro, NY

#12 Sep 6, 2012
There is no such thing as "stupid kids"!

These kids need more individual attention from their teacher and even help after school hours (if convenient for the child) until they can get the subject matter understood by the child.

Not every child can learn at the same pace as others. It is the teacher's job to make EVERY child understand the subject being taught by him/her.

Level 9

Location hidden

#13 Sep 6, 2012
Been there - done that wrote:
There is no such thing as "stupid kids"!
These kids need more individual attention from their teacher and even help after school hours (if convenient for the child) until they can get the subject matter understood by the child.
Not every child can learn at the same pace as others. It is the teacher's job to make EVERY child understand the subject being taught by him/her.
Bad choice,I know. The point is,test scores shouldn't be the sole or major criteria for rating a teacher. There are too many other ways teachers can help. One way we can help is to lengthen the school year. That would help,in my opinion.
I teach

Holden, MA

#14 Sep 6, 2012
As an educator in Utica for 26 years, let me make this comment. The new evaluation system is flawed in many ways. They have no idea how to judge teachers that don't teach Regents courses. This is especially true in special education. How do you rate those teachers of severely handicapped students? Resource teachers, teachers that teach low IQ students, teachers that teach self contained non-Regents special ed classes. Regular ed teachers that teach non-Regents. How about AP teachers? The public does not know that teachers are responsible for students that attend their class ONCE! Teachers' ratings will be effected by kids with poor attendance! NYS education dept has even stated that there will be impending law suits! Proctor has very unique clientele. With many needs! Support programs have been in place. But if kids don't show up we're judged by the flawed testing results. We are NOT New Hartford! Teachers cannot convince students of the value of education! Believe me we try. Remember 85% of our kids get free or reduced lunch, and breakfast. This shows the poverty level in our district. Some schools in our district have100% reduced meals! Teachers can and should have a say in curriculum that would interest students. Then you would see real growth. For instance, global studies is the worst course forced on kids that could care less what happened 1000 years ago! I could go on and the educators reading this know very well what I speak of! Who will pay for longer school years? I'm tired of defending my profession. I love what I do and would do it all over again!

Level 9

Location hidden

#15 Sep 6, 2012
I teach wrote:
As an educator in Utica for 26 years, let me make this comment. The new evaluation system is flawed in many ways. They have no idea how to judge teachers that don't teach Regents courses. This is especially true in special education. How do you rate those teachers of severely handicapped students? Resource teachers, teachers that teach low IQ students, teachers that teach self contained non-Regents special ed classes. Regular ed teachers that teach non-Regents. How about AP teachers? The public does not know that teachers are responsible for students that attend their class ONCE! Teachers' ratings will be effected by kids with poor attendance! NYS education dept has even stated that there will be impending law suits! Proctor has very unique clientele. With many needs! Support programs have been in place. But if kids don't show up we're judged by the flawed testing results. We are NOT New Hartford! Teachers cannot convince students of the value of education! Believe me we try. Remember 85% of our kids get free or reduced lunch, and breakfast. This shows the poverty level in our district. Some schools in our district have100% reduced meals! Teachers can and should have a say in curriculum that would interest students. Then you would see real growth. For instance, global studies is the worst course forced on kids that could care less what happened 1000 years ago! I could go on and the educators reading this know very well what I speak of! Who will pay for longer school years? I'm tired of defending my profession. I love what I do and would do it all over again!
Property owners as usual. You should do your part as well. Many people work a lot harder for a lot less. The days off and vacations are too much. We need to get the kids working longer and harder... Work ethic needs improvement as well.
2balls1strike

Baldwinsville, NY

#16 Sep 6, 2012
KY WELLER wrote:
<quoted text>Property owners as usual. You should do your part as well. Many people work a lot harder for a lot less. The days off and vacations are too much. We need to get the kids working longer and harder... Work ethic needs improvement as well.
I don't think you realize how much work teachers put in to prepare the class for the school year. Put yourself in their shoes before you criticize teachers.besides, they are entitled to time off just like the rest of the workforce. Why don't you bitch about the welfare folks that abuse the system instead. New cars, credit cards, iPhones, oh my can they afford them but can't afford to pay for food. Figure that one out...
good idea

New York, NY

#17 Sep 7, 2012
KY WELLER wrote:
<quoted text>Bad choice,I know. The point is,test scores shouldn't be the sole or major criteria for rating a teacher. There are too many other ways teachers can help. One way we can help is to lengthen the school year. That would help,in my opinion.
Good idea. Unfortunately, even though the teachers are salaried employees, do you think they would work extra days for the same amount of money? Unions would be ALL over that one! Sad!

Level 7

Since: Jan 08

Rome

#18 Sep 7, 2012
Is there no way to evaluate a teacher's effectiveness? Why can't education scholars agree on a best practice?
Wonder

Baldwinsville, NY

#19 Sep 7, 2012
2balls1strike wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you realize how much work teachers put in to prepare the class for the school year. Put yourself in their shoes before you criticize teachers.besides, they are entitled to time off just like the rest of the workforce. Why don't you bitch about the welfare folks that abuse the system instead. New cars, credit cards, iPhones, oh my can they afford them but can't afford to pay for food. Figure that one out...
Teachers prepare for their school year; once. They continue to use the same plan forever. Big deal. They are overpaid babysitters.
I teach

Worcester, MA

#20 Sep 7, 2012
Wonder wrote:
<quoted text>
Teachers prepare for their school year; once. They continue to use the same plan forever. Big deal. They are overpaid babysitters.
. Typical topic response just making comments to get teachers pissed off. In this case, made by someone that hates teachers, and wouldn't last 5 minutes in my classes! I don't wonder anymore how pathetic this person is!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cnywelding 33 min Lol 3
Love 45 min Promiscuous Phony 6
Update on 2yr old injured/critical last week? 1 hr Just wondering 1
Punching holes in the lies one Utica hashtag at... 1 hr Alvin 1
Bobby goes after the Community Foundation 2 hr Carl 1
Best Hockey team of all-time in Utica (Feb '11) 3 hr Wondering 68
Albany Devils are averaging 2,522 fans per game... 3 hr Wondering 25
state testing 8 hr manny 76
Hemstroughts half-moons suck now. 9 hr Irene 2
Trattoria Calabria 12 hr loves to eat 4