Does anyone know of a better use of taxpayer money than AHL hockey

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Really

Utica, NY

#1 Mar 7, 2013
Can you think of a way to better spend your tax money in the Utica area than to subsidize a private venture into pro hockey at the Utica Aud?
Tax

West Hartford, CT

#2 Mar 7, 2013
Ya give welfare recipients iPhones and McDonald's will accept foodstamps
Crazy

Utica, NY

#3 Mar 7, 2013
Enforce gun laws
not really

Utica, NY

#4 Mar 7, 2013
Really wrote:
Can you think of a way to better spend your tax money in the Utica area than to subsidize a private venture into pro hockey at the Utica Aud?
I don't have a problem with taxes to the extent they are reasonably justifiable as long as everyone pays their fair share. Where I have a problem is financing everyone else's lifestyle and career choice as well as business ventures that aren't going to fix the root problem. If spending cuts were made across the board and I saw government taking reasonable measures to protect their constituents I would consider. But no way am I supporting this!
Truth

Utica, NY

#5 Mar 7, 2013
Really wrote:
How about give it back to the people who paid it in the first place. I think that's a better use for sure.

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Schenectady, NY

#6 Mar 7, 2013
Nope. I can't.

Actually I take that back. How about some more studies for the chip plant that the region will never get for the simple fact being that the way things are why would any professionals want to move there? Seriously. Why would an outsider want to move to utica?
Truth

Utica, NY

#7 Mar 7, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
Nope. I can't.
Actually I take that back. How about some more studies for the chip plant that the region will never get for the simple fact being that the way things are why would any professionals want to move there? Seriously. Why would an outsider want to move to utica?
And you think a professional would want to move here because there was an AHL affiliate? Seriously.

Bring on the hockey but do it without taxpayer subsidy. Then those who want to support it by buying tickets can and the rest (which represents the vast majority of the residents of this region) won't have to support something that will enrich the lives of few.

You obviously believe this is true even in the face of all available evidence to the contrary. If it is I want to see which politician is silly enough to try to spin this as a good thing if taxpayer money is put in. I'm guessing maybe Anthony Brindisi. He seems naive and dumb enough to try to pass something like this off. Any other guesses?
not really

Utica, NY

#8 Mar 7, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>And you think a professional would want to move here because there was an AHL affiliate? Seriously.

Bring on the hockey but do it without taxpayer subsidy. Then those who want to support it by buying tickets can and the rest (which represents the vast majority of the residents of this region) won't have to support something that will enrich the lives of few.

You obviously believe this is true even in the face of all available evidence to the contrary. If it is I want to see which politician is silly enough to try to spin this as a good thing if taxpayer money is put in. I'm guessing maybe Anthony Brindisi. He seems naive and dumb enough to try to pass something like this off. Any other guesses?
Quality of life to the 55% remaining who are not on public assistance? So now we're going to bring an AHL team here and subsidize the cost and make it more affordable to the 45% who are receiving public assistance. What about the young professional? Seriously, what are they gonna come to Utica for? I went on Match today and searched slender females age 28-43. Guess how many candidates showed up in a 50 mile radius? 143. Trust me no one is looking to come to Yootica to find a mate. Most 30-40 something's unless on public assistance are long gone besides myself who is sadly counting down the days because of a child.
BIG PAPA

Utica, NY

#9 Mar 8, 2013
yes help our vetrerns a lot more and to hell with the rest of the world. nothing pisses me off more than those ads onb tv help our wounded warriors, the government should fun d them for what ever they need
Public Parasite Paradise

Cranbury, NJ

#10 Mar 8, 2013
not really wrote:
<quoted text>
Quality of life to the 55% remaining who are not on public assistance? So now we're going to bring an AHL team here and subsidize the cost and make it more affordable to the 45% who are receiving public assistance. What about the young professional? Seriously, what are they gonna come to Utica for? I went on Match today and searched slender females age 28-43. Guess how many candidates showed up in a 50 mile radius? 143. Trust me no one is looking to come to Yootica to find a mate. Most 30-40 something's unless on public assistance are long gone besides myself who is sadly counting down the days because of a child.
If you count ALL the WELFARE you're looking at more like 60% on the dole.
Forbes Magazine says NYS now has more takers than makers. That is to say, there are more people on public assistance and working at government dole welfare jobs then in private industry.

And now all the retards are seeing how fcked up and pisspoor they made NY and are now trying to move out here and start in with their liberal democrat nannystate 30-cop-per-square inch nannystate shyt.
The Cretin

New Hartford, NY

#11 Mar 9, 2013
Public Parasite Paradise wrote:
<quoted text>If you count ALL the WELFARE you're looking at more like 60% on the dole.
Forbes Magazine says NYS now has more takers than makers. That is to say, there are more people on public assistance and working at government dole welfare jobs then in private industry.
And now all the retards are seeing how fcked up and pisspoor they made NY and are now trying to move out here and start in with their liberal democrat nannystate 30-cop-per-square inch nannystate shyt.
"shyt", He must be very continental! He's definetly..........Cretin!
Truth

Utica, NY

#12 Mar 11, 2013
not really wrote:
<quoted text>
Young professionals are going to come to Utica or stay in Utica when there are jobs that pay well. Jobs that pay well will come to the area when taxes, regulations and unionism are reined in. As long as those things exist at the level they do and as long as we allow our representatives to continue to throw money at projects like this proposal for public funding of a hockey team, things will not change.

No one is going to move to Utica or this area because of an AHL team. Put money back in taxpayer's pockets and let them decide waht they want for entertainment.
fair warning

Utica, NY

#13 Mar 11, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>Young professionals are going to come to Utica or stay in Utica when there are jobs that pay well. Jobs that pay well will come to the area when taxes, regulations and unionism are reined in. As long as those things exist at the level they do and as long as we allow our representatives to continue to throw money at projects like this proposal for public funding of a hockey team, things will not change.

No one is going to move to Utica or this area because of an AHL team. Put money back in taxpayer's pockets and let them decide waht they want for entertainment.
What you say is so true. The current formula you describe has been the prevailing logic in NY which has wiped out a substantial portion of the private sector. As a young (40 something) professional the last thing I'm looking forward to is the Mayors Gala. This is guaranteed to be a large scale gathering of public servant leeches (feudal lords) who dictate policy and belong to organized labor unions. In the past I would try to market services to these folks and they would all reply that their union takes care of things for them. Amazing! No personal accountability. The other group there will be the private sector folks who rely on the public folks to make money (seemingly the only way to get ahead around here). I used to believe that you should join these folks. It's pure disgust now! The last thing I want to see is CG, RC, RE, and DP honored or parading around like royalty. I know this is off topic but you got me fired up in a good way!
Gigitty

Syracuse, NY

#14 Mar 11, 2013
fair warning wrote:
<quoted text>
What you say is so true. The current formula you describe has been the prevailing logic in NY which has wiped out a substantial portion of the private sector. As a young (40 something) professional the last thing I'm looking forward to is the Mayors Gala. This is guaranteed to be a large scale gathering of public servant leeches (feudal lords) who dictate policy and belong to organized labor unions. In the past I would try to market services to these folks and they would all reply that their union takes care of things for them. Amazing! No personal accountability. The other group there will be the private sector folks who rely on the public folks to make money (seemingly the only way to get ahead around here). I used to believe that you should join these folks. It's pure disgust now! The last thing I want to see is CG, RC, RE, and DP honored or parading around like royalty. I know this is off topic but you got me fired up in a good way!
Truer words were never spoken. Amen, Brother. You have clear vision. Now, how to act on it.

Level 4

Schenectady, NY

#15 Mar 11, 2013
If anyone thinks any new business will come to utica without taxpayer support you're touching yourself.
lol

Utica, NY

#16 Mar 11, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
If anyone thinks any new business will come to utica without taxpayer support you're touching yourself.
That's the most intelligent thing that you have ever spoken on here!

Level 4

Schenectady, NY

#17 Mar 11, 2013
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the most intelligent thing that you have ever spoken on here!
It's the truth. Business' will have to be paid to set up shop in utica. I wonder what type of concessions utica had to give to the bass pro shop.
lol

Utica, NY

#18 Mar 11, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>It's the truth. Business' will have to be paid to set up shop in utica. I wonder what type of concessions utica had to give to the bass pro shop.
BPS will more than likely just pay out a rent check to the developer for the build out. The developer/leasing agent may have gotten some breaks. BPS is a retail operation and is probably getting one of the best high traffic locations statewide for their type of products.

Level 4

Schenectady, NY

#19 Mar 11, 2013
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
BPS will more than likely just pay out a rent check to the developer for the build out. The developer/leasing agent may have gotten some breaks. BPS is a retail operation and is probably getting one of the best high traffic locations statewide for their type of products.
Best location? Hardly. Good location sure. Best? No. The traffic heading into the northwaay from south through Albany up 87 is much more considerable.
Utica34isCretin

New Hartford, NY

#20 Mar 11, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
Best location? Hardly. Good location sure. Best? No. The traffic heading into the northwaay from south through Albany up 87 is much more considerable.
He's always the authority on nothing, he's..........Cretin!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
So how'd all THAT work out for yas? 13 min Danny Bigot 1
Is Jake DerCola in the closet? 15 min in the know 5
Why would UPD Promote J.Abel Felony DWI cop! 17 min Dan Raga 1
UPD's Union Scumbag wants MORE $$ from YOU! 20 min Cha Ching 6
Feds Rounding Up Bosnians 43 min truth 1
rich archer 325 tilden ave violates woman tenants 1 hr kevin 1
Cuomo Supports New Bar Exams For Teachers!!! (Apr '13) 1 hr Bob 11
How Much Does H & R Block charge To Do Your Taxes (Jan '09) 2 hr Crazy person 533
parents of ND teach girls drinking and getting ... 2 hr Wondering 11
Teachers are scared! 3 hr truth b told 14
Bullying Utica judge censured for calling lawye... 5 hr The Gerry Show 25
Wboro/ND 7 hr Hidey Scareds 8
Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News