First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Mel

Utica, NY

#1 Jul 28, 2008
What ever happened to the Babe Ruth League at Ed Hinko field ? My two nephews played there and its total chaos. The old guy who runs the league, like a dictator I might add, is out of control. He yells at players and coaches and thinks its HIS field and HIS league. I saw the equipment the league owns and he doesnt spend the money on helmets or catcher's equipment for the kids. Where does the money go ? There is NO league affiliation, its an independant league.

I remember playing there as a kid in the 80's and it was run wayyy better.

I urge City Officials to either give the permit to use the field next summer to people who are in it for the right reasons, its for the KIDS, Mel, not as summer income. The City should also force him to have an affiliation, IF they chose to give him the permit.

Unless it changes over there, parents beware, your child WILL be belittle and screamed and yelled at by a ranting old man. I know my nephews are going somewhere else to play as are a great deal of other players. Enough is enough !!
Time 4 Improvement

Camillus, NY

#2 Jul 28, 2008
I actually agree with many of your points. I am also very disappointed, because the field is not taken care of. It is horrendous and I mean it!!!
Ditto

Utica, NY

#3 Jul 28, 2008
I agree with both of you. I saw the field, the pitcher's mound is like a pancake. It's totally flat. When I was at a Notre Dame game there I saw a foul ball fly into the dugout. Who's brilliant idea was it to take the fences off of the dugouts ? The CITY will lose a fortune if someone gets hurt. They should make the guy who runs the league put them back on OR pull his permit.

Yeah its time 4 improvement, but moreover, its time for a change. New people to runa field taht USED to be one of the Best in the City. NOW one of the worst full sized fields.
Youth Bureau

Utica, NY

#4 Jul 29, 2008
I sure hope the Youth Bureau looks into whats going on down there and how kids are getting soured on baseball.
city taxpayer

Syracuse, NY

#5 Jul 29, 2008
It's up to the parents to take care of the fields, not the city.
Nuts

Utica, NY

#6 Jul 29, 2008
Go watch playoffs down at the field, watch the old man flipping the burgers and hot dogs. He's a nut. He doesnt want anyone interfering with his summer employment down there. He's in it for himself and doesnt care about the kids. He didnt pay the Oneida Co. Babe Ruth league the fees for the two teams he put it there. So now they're short money but Mel has a 50-50 raffle EVERY game. WHere's that money go ???
Time 4 Improvement

Camillus, NY

#7 Jul 29, 2008
Nuts wrote:
Go watch playoffs down at the field, watch the old man flipping the burgers and hot dogs. He's a nut. He doesnt want anyone interfering with his summer employment down there. He's in it for himself and doesnt care about the kids. He didnt pay the Oneida Co. Babe Ruth league the fees for the two teams he put it there. So now they're short money but Mel has a 50-50 raffle EVERY game. WHere's that money go ???
I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but why can't you stick to using the same name. It gets annoying when the same person keeps using different names. There will be others who know about Mel and they will post their opinions. There are plenty that agree with you about Mel. Please don't waste your time denying your actions or else nobody is going to want to participate on this thread.
Wondering

United States

#8 Jul 29, 2008
Many peoples IP adresses are under syracuse so it might not be the same guy on every post.
Syracuse

AOL

#10 Jul 30, 2008
There are a great deal of Syracuse NY IP addresses. Dont assume that it is the same poster. We've had that argument on these TOPIX pages for months.

That being said, I'm a father from Rome. We had TWO teams we were trying to place in the Ed Hinko league. We were all set, and then it fell through. Seems like the president of Ed Hinko and his posse didnt want too many eyes on their league. Ive heard from Managers down there that he has his favorite teams and managers and everyone else is just filling a slot.
True coach

New York Mills, NY

#11 Jul 30, 2008
I have coached many types of sports. I currently coach both Baseball and Softball at High school and at recreational levels. I know Mel personally and yes he has his quirks but he puts his heart and soul into this league and does care about the kids. I do not believe that he is doing anything wrong with the finances. This league does have a board of directors and a league charter. It does have insurance which covers any player in any game. Umpires, insurance, Baseballs, uniforms, helmets, catchers equipment,gas are all supplied by the league which is subsidised by the flipping of burgers. He maintains the field, which by the way I've seen worse and my teams have played on worse. you have a right to your opinion but I stongly disagree with that opinion. Mel is a good man and cares greatly about the kids.
thankful parents

Stockton, CA

#12 Jul 30, 2008
I am thankful parent that there is a place for children to play ball at. There are not too many places that a child can play baseball in Utica after little league. I had two children that played in this league and it was great learning experience for them. Not to mention that they also had fun. I am disappointed in the negative opinion of others. The Ed Hinko league maintains the field the best that they can. The city is responsible for the major upkeep of the field. If any feels that there should be fences around the dugouts, please talk to the city officials. There is alot more behind this league then most people know or understand. Remember this is for the kids to have fun and stay out of trouble. It would be nice to see parents help out and keep the field looking nice for our kids and not just rely it solely on Mel. I'vr help with the field and haven't seen to much donated time or resources come from any were. It is a good field to play at and could be better if the complaining people would step up to the plate and help out.
Disgruntled Parent

AOL

#13 Jul 30, 2008
My son doesn't get much playing time. Lotsa bench time tho. I can't stand it! It's all favorites & suck (__*__)'s
Get a Clue

United States

#14 Jul 30, 2008
he keeps that field great !! take a look at the other wankel fields then talk shit!!
Tommy

AOL

#15 Jul 31, 2008
well I pay for my kid to join and I work all day and I aint cleaning no field,let the club officers worry about it

“Native Veteran & Proud Of It!”

Since: Jul 08

Utica, NY

#16 Jul 31, 2008
I think that there needs to be a "meeting of the minds" so this can stop, and the issues can be addressed. The bottom line is plain and simple, this league is supposed to be for the kids, and nothing else. I think that things can and should be done to make some improvements, but I also know that you can't please everyone. I also know that there is more to running the league than meets the eye. Once again, if there are questions about the finances, or running of the league, then handle it like an adult, not like a spiteful child. What makes it even worse is that a lot of the kids were complaining about how some of the coaches and parents were acting, actually brought down the morale. Not to mention the police having to come because of the behavior of a certain parent harassing the umpires and was heard threatening to punch Mel in the face. There were many, many games I watched and listened to the yelling and swearing coming from the stands. When there is behavior like this, how do you justify ridiculing others? Let's get together and rectify this by acting accordingly not like "nuts".
David Utica NY

AOL

#17 Aug 1, 2008
First of all before you start slandering people you need to open your eyes and take a good look at all the hard work from some of the volunteers and the cost of things that are done after the baseball season is over and throughout the season if the field is in such bad shape volunteer some time or opinions as to what should be done. Everyone has there own opinion but has never ran a baseball league on there own. There is a lot more to it than a lot of people think. As far as a summer job goes remember mel puts alot of his own time all year round (not just during summer) and dosen't get paid. Besides go anywhere else and buy there food and drinks i bet there prices are alot more, prices are kept down he is not trying to rip people off to make money. just remeber the league is for KIDS not mel, the fans, the family, the coaches. Why don't everyone try to work with everyone - come to other games, talk to the coaches, and the people that run the league lets enjoy the kids enjoying themselves.

Utica, NY

#18 Aug 1, 2008
A flippin' men. Wonderfully put.

Utica, NY

#19 Aug 2, 2008
Anyone catching the championships? I'll see you there.
Chad

Rochester, NY

#20 Aug 3, 2008
I love baseball anyway!! Let"s move on....

Utica, NY

#21 Aug 3, 2008
Exactly, thank you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amy Warney 24 min Babydaddy 1
Where Can I Buy Nuclear Waste? 26 min Marty McFly 2
Another $500000 for the Aud (Dec '13) 30 min There It Is 62
Hotel Utica Closing 37 min Charles Gaetano 3
Pasta Magazine Names Utica Riggies 3rd best in NYS (Jan '14) 39 min The Horror 33
Utica Aud: AHL Welfare All-Star game 41 min FYI 247
Dawn Catera lupi 43 min deuse 4
Utica Aud 59 min FYI 78
NY TRooper KURT SCHAFSTECK and Wife Ramona 4 hr Joe 11
bobby mancuso finally fired from UFD 5 hr Tekla 37
Big drug bust new hartford 25,000 cash money 11 hr New Hartfords Finest 46
Pamela Matt and the Mohawk Valley Chamber (Sep '13) 13 hr Delusional 50
Utica Dating
Find my Match

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info