Posted in the Utica Forum

Wondering

United States

#1 Jan 27, 2010
Come tell your experiances of west utica in the 80's
West Sider

Cazenovia, NY

#2 Jan 27, 2010
A slow, steady and continuing decline of a once proud neighborhood. The cancer of absentee landlords and tenants/residents with zero respect for themselves and their neighbors and destructive culture of drugs, crime and laziness. It has spread across the region and I see no turning back.
Wondering

United States

#3 Jan 27, 2010
trying to remember the positive things here!
West Sider

Cazenovia, NY

#4 Jan 27, 2010
I apologize but after the last 70's thread where there was so much good to the decline that started in the 80's and continues today really disgusts me and the good gets harder to find. Fewer kids playing together, fewer places for them to gather and play, houses deteriorating, neighborhoods deterioriating, the whole area getting just plain dangerous while the police and parade of smiling, hand-shaking councilmen do absolutely nothing. The net one comes along with more empty promises until it's now just too far gone. Just look through that 70's thread and see how many things that were listed as positive (parks, businesses, families, activities,etc.)that no longer exist and were replaced with absolutely nothing. Drive through any of it now (if you're brave enough) and see what's there. It will break your heart.

Again, I apoligize for hijacking this with negativity. I do wish you well in your search and hope there are still some positives to list.
Wondering

United States

#5 Jan 27, 2010
I realize that the place looks like a war zone now, but as a kid in the early 80's, it didnt seem that bad or I was just that naieve. But when i left the house i didnt have to look behind me to see if there was someone following we all hung around and played together , caused a little trouble now and then, bbut we had fun. Now when i go through west utica ,as fast i can to get away, it does break my heart to see it all thrown away.
West Sider

Cazenovia, NY

#6 Jan 27, 2010
So what are your favorite specific memories from that time?
ROCKIN

Rome, NY

#7 Jan 27, 2010
West Sider wrote:
A slow, steady and continuing decline of a once proud neighborhood. The cancer of absentee landlords and tenants/residents with zero respect for themselves and their neighbors and destructive culture of drugs, crime and laziness. It has spread across the region and I see no turning back.
Especially the 1100 Block of Mathews Ave
Really

New York, NY

#8 Jan 27, 2010
Its bad all over the west side now.So sad.When I grew up on the west side we had so much fun.Playing at pixley playground,going to addison miller.Things sure have changed around there.It breaks my heart.I think when they built Donavon is when the real decline began.
OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHH

United States

#9 Jan 27, 2010
Really wrote:
Its bad all over the west side now.So sad.When I grew up on the west side we had so much fun.Playing at pixley playground,going to addison miller.Things sure have changed around there.It breaks my heart.I think when they built Donavon is when the real decline began.
BETTER YET !! When they cut down them big buildings behind the AUD thats when problems began. Just like the jeffersons == Moving on up !!!
LMAO

United States

#10 Jan 27, 2010
I'm a ex West Utica. I remembers alot of GOOD times. Lincoln school,Kerman school,UFA.Would NEVER RAISE KIDS THERE!!! Peter's store was the best..LOOK at it all NOW !!
Really

New York, NY

#11 Jan 27, 2010
you are so right.Look at Mahannas,everything is trashed.You cant walk anywhere and feel safe.I went to all 3 of those schools too.lol.
West Sider

Jamesville, NY

#12 Jan 27, 2010
Again, to Wondering, I am sorry I turned this topic down the wrong road. Someone must be able to redirect this to some good times in the 80's, no?
Utica resident

Fayetteville, NY

#13 Jan 27, 2010
Shakers bands and APD swampwater parties were cool
Utica resident

Fayetteville, NY

#14 Jan 27, 2010
Oh...and being able to drink while still in high school at Coaches Corner
Wondering

United States

#15 Jan 28, 2010
pixley pool, Addison miller pool when there were diving boards in the deep end. Walking the trail behind addison, blue sox games, DEVILS games, swimming down off of barnes ave bridge. Hockey on the marsh, sledding down the "Gully" at Kernan school. Playing Off the wall before school started in the morning. Pom Pom Tackle during lunch.. Just being a kid.
ROCKIN

Rome, NY

#16 Jan 28, 2010
Wondering wrote:
pixley pool, Addison miller pool when there were diving boards in the deep end. Walking the trail behind addison, blue sox games, DEVILS games, swimming down off of barnes ave bridge. Hockey on the marsh, sledding down the "Gully" at Kernan school. Playing Off the wall before school started in the morning. Pom Pom Tackle during lunch.. Just being a kid.
We must have grown up together :)
Bosserts

Syracuse, NY

#17 Jan 28, 2010
Well ROCKIN, it's no surprise to me that u r a westy fweep. It all makes sense now w/ the pruitt posts.
Wondering

United States

#18 Jan 28, 2010
Who are you Rockin?
Tim Coakley

Schenectady, NY

#20 Sep 25, 2013
I recall the blackouts during World War II, and the air raid warden knocking on our front door to tell my father to put out his cigarette. Swimming almost every day in the summer at Addison Miller pool, watching the evening softball games at the same site, with Pete the popcorn man trudging there pushing his wagon. He heated butter over a flame, and poured salt into the bag. There was also a rag man who came around in a horse-drawn wagon calling "rags!" There was a Hathaway bread truck that came around and if you wanted bread or doughnuts you put a cardboard H in the kitchen window. More later.
westie

Utica, NY

#22 Sep 25, 2013
Bazans bakery on Lincoln ave north of Holy trinity school

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lowlife (Nov '15) 37 min No name 4
Uticas Crazy Beeotch 4 hr always hide fem 6
bipolar never fall in love with a bpolar woman (Dec '12) 4 hr fun chics 257
What happened to Griffs on Columbia (Mar '16) 4 hr A little extra info 12
Utica Trailer Parks 5 hr Bubba 1
White people are the DEVIL 5 hr Black culture 1
Comets Leaving.... 5 hr Black culture 19
He's all yours nasty btch 5 hr Nikki6 43
How Much Does H & R Block charge To Do Your Taxes (Jan '09) 6 hr Wurtland girl always 773
Poll Kim Simon Murder (Feb '10) 7 hr yello 4,904
Boycott RedBox 9 hr TABER COWARD 48

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages