To An Outsider...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Schenectady, NY

#1 Feb 21, 2013
...they must think that everyone in Utica is stupid, a child molester, cheats on their spouse,, eats bad food at restaurants, is a crook, etc. just from reading this board.

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Schenectady, NY

#2 Feb 21, 2013
Oh yeah, racist too!
True

New Hartford, NY

#3 Feb 21, 2013
Amazing isn't it? Utica is no different than any other city. It seems we have more negative people than positive and apparently those are the people who get on these ridiculous forums and bash the city. Whatever, many of us know the truth and it's just the opposite of what they are trying to say.
Yep

Camillus, NY

#4 Feb 21, 2013
and they would be correct...
Eyes roll

United States

#5 Feb 21, 2013
True wrote:
Amazing isn't it? Utica is no different than any other city. It seems we have more negative people than positive and apparently those are the people who get on these ridiculous forums and bash the city. Whatever, many of us know the truth and it's just the opposite of what they are trying to say.
Yeah the place looks like a bombed out WWII city with no jobs, some of the highest taxes, gas and energy costs in the country, and it's full of people who for some reason think it's Paris.

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Schenectady, NY

#6 Feb 21, 2013
Eyes roll wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah the place looks like a bombed out WWII city with no jobs, some of the highest taxes, gas and energy costs in the country, and it's full of people who for some reason think it's Paris.
I'd rather live in utica than Paris. Been there a few times. Highly over rated.
A lovely city

Camillus, NY

#7 Feb 21, 2013
A portrait of Utica, NY on the ABC News National web site:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/slideshow/community-...

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Schenectady, NY

#8 Feb 21, 2013
A lovely city wrote:
A portrait of Utica, NY on the ABC News National web site:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/slideshow/community-...
And this can be said about pretty much every ,city in the United States? Howi about Phoenix? Miami? The list goes on and on but uticans have this feeling that everything sucks there. It doesn't.
Betty

Utica, NY

#9 Feb 21, 2013
A lovely city wrote:
A portrait of Utica, NY on the ABC News National web site:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/slideshow/community-...
Time to bail out for sure now. Thanks for that. Was considering buying a house in the area or move south. My mind is made up.
Well not really

Camillus, NY

#10 Feb 21, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
And this can be said about pretty much every ,city in the United States? Howi about Phoenix? Miami? The list goes on and on but uticans have this feeling that everything sucks there. It doesn't.
Based on what data????

US Poverty Rate - 13.6%
NY State Poverty Rate - 13.9%
Utica Poverty Rate - 28.3%

http://www.nyscommunityaction.org/PovReport/2...

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Schenectady, NY

#11 Feb 21, 2013
Well not really wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on what data????
US Poverty Rate - 13.6%
NY State Poverty Rate - 13.9%
Utica Poverty Rate - 28.3%
http://www.nyscommunityaction.org/PovReport/2...
You have been watching the news correct? And I wish people would stop looking as utica as a stand alone city. It's not. It's a region. Utica is new hartford, whitesboro, Clinton, New York mills, etc.

Just as NYC on a much grander scale isn't just manhattan.

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Schenectady, NY

#12 Feb 21, 2013
I see it all the time here in Albany. Most people when they visit me here figure they're in Albany when they get to cross gates mall. Well you're not. Your in guilderland. And our region is the same way. If people just sit around and analyzed the city of Albany we're up shit crick too. But this is the capital district. It's albany, guilderland, Clifton park, colonie, niskayuna, Saratoga, etc. it's viewed as a whole.
Well not really

Camillus, NY

#13 Feb 21, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have been watching the news correct? And I wish people would stop looking as utica as a stand alone city. It's not. It's a region. Utica is new hartford, whitesboro, Clinton, New York mills, etc.
Just as NYC on a much grander scale isn't just manhattan.
No, Utica is Utica. Utica is a City, the Mohawk Valley is a region.

Manhattan is a borough of NY City. New York City is comprised of 5 boroughs. The five boroughs are incorporated as a whole to make up NY City. The towns you mention surrounding Utica are just that, separate towns that have nothing to do with Utica...

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Schenectady, NY

#14 Feb 21, 2013
Well not really wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Utica is Utica. Utica is a City, the Mohawk Valley is a region.
Manhattan is a borough of NY City. New York City is comprised of 5 boroughs. The five boroughs are incorporated as a whole to make up NY City. The towns you mention surrounding Utica are just that, separate towns that have nothing to do with Utica...
Nothing to do with utica? Really? Where do uticans go to the mall? Where do uticans go to the movies? Where do uticans buy their cars? The surrounding area has EVERYTHING to do with the city. Where do the prominent and affluent people that live and work in that area live? Certainly not in utica...but does tha t mean they aren't citizens there? Sure their address may not say utica but they're uticans. Technically when my family moved out of east utica and moved to new Hartford we "left utica ". Our home was exactly 2.6 miles away. My mom never left her job. My father never left his job. Did we leave utica, sure I guess, but did we really? Nope.

The quicker people in that area start looking at things like this...as do all other regions the better the attitude may be there. Utica is not the most affluent city by any stretch as are the urban centers of most all other regions. Utica fails to recognize their suburbs though when they are crying the blues and area citizens are bitching. With this thought there things will never get better. Utica has no desirable areas to build new homes. Businesses that were worth anything have move d to the suburbs as have the families who could afford to. They haven't "left utica".
New Hartford

Camillus, NY

#15 Feb 21, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing to do with utica? Really? Where do uticans go to the mall? Where do uticans go to the movies? Where do uticans buy their cars? The surrounding area has EVERYTHING to do with the city. Where do the prominent and affluent people that live and work in that area live? Certainly not in utica...but does tha t mean they aren't citizens there? Sure their address may not say utica but they're uticans. Technically when my family moved out of east utica and moved to new Hartford we "left utica ". Our home was exactly 2.6 miles away. My mom never left her job. My father never left his job. Did we leave utica, sure I guess, but did we really? Nope.
The quicker people in that area start looking at things like this...as do all other regions the better the attitude may be there. Utica is not the most affluent city by any stretch as are the urban centers of most all other regions. Utica fails to recognize their suburbs though when they are crying the blues and area citizens are bitching. With this thought there things will never get better. Utica has no desirable areas to build new homes. Businesses that were worth anything have move d to the suburbs as have the families who could afford to. They haven't "left utica".
I would never call myself a Utican....

Also, there have been rumblings about regionalization to fix Utica's financial issues. Utica should bring in a Control Board to address these issues and not look at making Utica's financial issues a regional issue. Utica created the contracts, pensions, and debt and they need to address their problems.

Also, check the UPD facebook to see where most Uticans shoplift....

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Schenectady, NY

#16 Feb 21, 2013
I certainly hope that "Utica Citizens" aren't pushing for that new chip plant. It's not looking to be built in utica. That would be a Marcy business. Utica should not be for it. Lol

Level 4

Since: Feb 13

Schenectady, NY

#17 Feb 21, 2013
Some jealous people in utica who seem to get their jollys by posting negatively about successful uticans here. Lol. I hope it enriches their own lives.

Level 8

Since: Jul 12

Brooklyn, NY

#18 Feb 21, 2013
Lot of lowlife azzholes trolling all the time. Get a life negative pieces of trash
Marcy

Camillus, NY

#19 Feb 22, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
I certainly hope that "Utica Citizens" aren't pushing for that new chip plant. It's not looking to be built in utica. That would be a Marcy business. Utica should not be for it. Lol
I agree... Even the Governor got a laugh when he mentioned Utica was getting a clean room on the Marcy chip plant campus. Saying it was in Marcy would have been better as it does not have Utica's reputation and stigma...

It seems the people in this area do not want change. You have Legislators in the OC Legislature voting against improving the water and sewer system so the Marcy campus can be develeloped. Years ago people in Rome the people did not like Griffiss AFB having military planes as they made too much noise. I am sure their voice was helpful in the decision when the base was BRAC'd. People are against the chip plant due to potential contamination. They are against hydrofracking, and the list goes on....

I guess the one thing they are not against is welfare...
Eyes roll

United States

#20 Feb 22, 2013
Utica34 wrote:
Some jealous people in utica who seem to get their jollys by posting negatively about successful uticans here. Lol. I hope it enriches their own lives.
Try getting out of utica or ny and you'll see why people laugh at the hackneyed old "you're just jealous" claim. Amazing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
area to get new hospital 2 hr Urban Planner 16
Charter School expanding 7 hr Thetruthhurts 4
Two Tone's Tacos 10 hr brain 11
retro fitness 10 hr the mill 19
add a word drop a word (Aug '10) 11 hr Doug77 5,942
Teachers have Cadilac Pensions? (Jan '13) 12 hr NYS Teacher 342
WELSH IS ONLY CHOICE FOR COUNTY LEGISLATOR IN 1... 13 hr rothman 15
Name a business that's not around anymore. (Oct '13) 19 hr Ghost Region 224
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]