Business leaders are investing in Uti...
UticaPride

Utica, NY

#41 Jul 25, 2013
Utica it Starts With You wrote:
Utica knows that success takes teamwork. That's why we call in hordes of State Police, Sheriff's Deputies, and patrol cars from every surrounding municipality when street fights erupt.
It's all about working together!
Do you really want me to start posting Syracuse crime stats. Please, I am not here to bad mouth any other community like you do. If that makes you feel like a bigger person. Sad, very sad.
Da Law

New York, NY

#42 Jul 25, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it is new property tax, sales tax, payroll tax and increase business. Every dollar spend in a community stays in the community three more times.
So, just to be perfectly clear, you would consider the Hotel Utica project to be a stunning success?

Would you agree that by those standards the whole Doyle Hardware/Piers & Blake effort is one of the city's greatest achievements?

To be frank, by the standards you're setting forth the whole GroWest scandal is actually a shining example of Utica's successful economic development strategy. It did, after all, pump millions into the local economy. Money that then got multiplied three times!
Da Law

New York, NY

#43 Jul 25, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really want me to start posting Syracuse crime stats. Please, I am not here to bad mouth any other community like you do. If that makes you feel like a bigger person. Sad, very sad.
Have you actually seen the video from last night's near riot? Utica police were *under seige* and had to call in every available LEO they could get their hands on.

Admittedly, I'm not an economic development expert. But I'm guessing that having an inner city population that attacks the police with impunity, requiring the deployment of dozens of armed officers just to protect a crime scene, is, as they say, a "problem". One of considerably more importance than the fact that not enough people appreciate pusties.

Or am I off base here?
GOgreen

Carthage, NY

#44 Jul 25, 2013
Invest NOW wrote:
ACS is closing. 150+ layoffs...
The Cage closed
St. Elizabeth Hospital is laying off employees
St. Luke's Hospital laid off employees
Utica School District laid off several teachers at he end of 2012 and potential for an additional 88 teachers being laid off...
http://wibx950.com/utica-city-school-district...
The Cage? Really? Pick a better example
Reap what U sow

United States

#45 Jul 25, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
<quoted text>
Politicians love gullible goofs like you. Only a moron would look at the cited "benefits" to doing business in ooootica and think it was a "plus".
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#46 Jul 25, 2013
Da Law wrote:
<quoted text>
So, just to be perfectly clear, you would consider the Hotel Utica project to be a stunning success?
Would you agree that by those standards the whole Doyle Hardware/Piers & Blake effort is one of the city's greatest achievements?
To be frank, by the standards you're setting forth the whole GroWest scandal is actually a shining example of Utica's successful economic development strategy. It did, after all, pump millions into the local economy. Money that then got multiplied three times!
I like private investment. If I had my choice I would take zero money from HUD for low income housing. I feel the problems of Utica past is to hope for the lowest common denominator. Through building Jails, mental health facial ties and low income housing. Tell the state and Feds no thank you. Call me cruel but I think it got us where we are.

Growest was a developer and political scam.
Piers and Blake was given to an out of town jerk off.
Hotel Utica I feel was not an awful idea. They need a swimming pool and should rent the upper floors for upscale apartments. I would close Seneca st and have hotel Utica service the park with outdoor food and drinks.
Sam

Greig, NY

#47 Jul 25, 2013
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
If locals don't talk it up,no one else will. You think the NYC Politicians are going to help us. Negative equals negative. You need to push this area because it helps you, not just the city. Even if you live in the suburbs.
Propaganda is words without action. These videos show economic development. The People in the videos are smart successful business leaders.
This video show how messed up UTICA people are.
http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx...
Da Law

New York, NY

#48 Jul 25, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
<quoted text>
I like private investment. If I had my choice I would take zero money from HUD for low income housing. I feel the problems of Utica past is to hope for the lowest common denominator. Through building Jails, mental health facial ties and low income housing. Tell the state and Feds no thank you. Call me cruel but I think it got us where we are.
Low income housing has been a gravy train for the Friends and Family program since the 1970s. Mike Arcuri's dad Carmen was one of the first to realize just how much money was to be made "helping the poor". Since he organized the first LIH group the scam has stayed the same- establish LIH organization, channel the Federal funds to the usual suspects for construction and building management, get out before the house of cards collapses.

The brilliance of the con is that it always works. Again, and again, and again Utica's LIH groups collapse into fraud and scandal only to be resurrected under a new guise. The truly horrific part is that the apartments and homes are shoddy, substandard monstrosities fueled solely by how much graft is to be made on materials and construction costs. The poor are stuck living in hellholes that are falling apart even before construction is completed.

Just look at the most recent LIH apartment house proposals. On average, each unit costs $250,000 to construct. A quarter of a million dollars. That's enough to build a luxury loft with state of the art *everything*, indoor parking, shared pool and gym, and 24 hour security. For those top-of-the-line prices the poor will get barracks-style CMU construction and facilities that just barely beat code while the Friends and Family plan laughs all the way to the bank.

Do you really think it was an accident that Utica's "Master Plan" mandates low income housing as part of *any* housing development plan?

Buy, yeah, I guess we really should concentrate the city's resources on the Pustie Publicity Program.
pure topical gold

United States

#49 Jul 25, 2013
Pustie Publicity Program! Pure topix gold!
Da Law

New York, NY

#50 Jul 25, 2013
pure topical gold wrote:
Pustie Publicity Program! Pure topix gold!
Thanks, I appreciate it. I work with a lot of the Friends and Family crowd and they absolutely hate being mocked. That, of course, motivated me to come with a snarky descriptor for the current charm offensive.

What's really scary is that they genuinely feel that things like publicizing pusties will revitalize the city. It also has the added benefit of being cheap and easy to do. Rebuilding sewers and roads? Too hard for this gang. Getting some worker drone at City Hall to crank out some Pro-Pustie videos? Cheap, easy, and, best of all, lots of opportunities for press releases.

The only thing the videos are missing is a link to the city's new website. Oh, that's right. They spent $20K on it and it doesn't work. Yet another classic Friends and Family scam.
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#51 Jul 25, 2013
Looks like we finally agree on something. However,what is the answer? Not promote the city? Only talk about the negative? Keep the fuel burning on old political fights and grudges between people. Should I just give up? Because some think it's a loss cause? Sorry,that's not my nature. I can say for a fact that investors read topic sometime and by you trashing the city certainly will not help. In fact in my opinion it can hurt as much as the stuff that you hate about the past. So,you are just as much a criminal as the ones you speak of. Because you are stealing away opportunity for others. We need to move forward. I believe that we are. Your comments will defiantly not bring jobs.
Da Law wrote:
<quoted text>
Low income housing has been a gravy train for the Friends and Family program since the 1970s. Mike Arcuri's dad Carmen was one of the first to realize just how much money was to be made "helping the poor". Since he organized the first LIH group the scam has stayed the same- establish LIH organization, channel the Federal funds to the usual suspects for construction and building management, get out before the house of cards collapses.
The brilliance of the con is that it always works. Again, and again, and again Utica's LIH groups collapse into fraud and scandal only to be resurrected under a new guise. The truly horrific part is that the apartments and homes are shoddy, substandard monstrosities fueled solely by how much graft is to be made on materials and construction costs. The poor are stuck living in hellholes that are falling apart even before construction is completed.
Just look at the most recent LIH apartment house proposals. On average, each unit costs $250,000 to construct. A quarter of a million dollars. That's enough to build a luxury loft with state of the art *everything*, indoor parking, shared pool and gym, and 24 hour security. For those top-of-the-line prices the poor will get barracks-style CMU construction and facilities that just barely beat code while the Friends and Family plan laughs all the way to the bank.
Do you really think it was an accident that Utica's "Master Plan" mandates low income housing as part of *any* housing development plan?
Buy, yeah, I guess we really should concentrate the city's resources on the Pustie Publicity Program.
What

New Hartford, NY

#52 Jul 25, 2013
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
This video show how messed up UTICA people are.
http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx...
Your from Utica. Are you messed up? What gives you the right to be on a high horse of judge and jury? I guess you must live in a glass house. Give me any same size city in the USA and I will be able to pull up the same stuff. You lost this argument. Next comment please.
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#53 Jul 25, 2013
Reap what U sow wrote:
<quoted text>Politicians love gullible goofs like you. Only a moron would look at the cited "benefits" to doing business in ooootica and think it was a "plus".
People like goof balls that live seven hours away and care about Utica
Sam

Greig, NY

#54 Jul 25, 2013
What wrote:
<quoted text>
Your from Utica. Are you messed up? What gives you the right to be on a high horse of judge and jury? I guess you must live in a glass house. Give me any same size city in the USA and I will be able to pull up the same stuff. You lost this argument. Next comment please.
HA HA I did not lose this argument, Utica is a shit hole and Working class people are leaving and never looking back, Lets see,Man gets shot in Utica last night, family members start a riot, throw ROCKS, Bottles, and what ever else they can find,at the ones who are trying to help ( POLICE ) OH WHAT A GREAT CITY.
Patrick

Durhamville, NY

#55 Jul 25, 2013
I've been hearing the same song and dance since the 1980's. Utica is on the verge of a major comeback! Horray! There will be jobs and businesses all over the place! Whoppee! I've heard this so many times before, and in what is half a lifetime, nothing has happened. It is doubtful it will ever happen. The more things change in Utica, the more they stay the same. If this great resurrection was going to happen, it would have already. So much time has passed. The Utica school system has one of the lowest graduation rates in the country. Crime rates are rising, as crime is no longer limited to certain areas, but it is the entire city. Other cities have bad sections, while Utica is an entire bad section. I'm not listening to this bull anymore. I've heard it too many times. Utica will only get worse. Look at the reality. Look at what is really here, and don't pretend that its something else. You can imagine that business leaders are investing in Utica, but in reality the only ones investing here are the drug dealers and criminals. Face the facts. If you own a house or any property here, sell it now while you still can. There are plenty of slumlords who will buy your house and subdivide it into a half dozen apartments. That, my friends, is the future of Utica.
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#56 Jul 26, 2013
Patrick wrote:
I've been hearing the same song and dance since the 1980's. Utica is on the verge of a major comeback! Horray! There will be jobs and businesses all over the place! Whoppee! I've heard this so many times before, and in what is half a lifetime, nothing has happened. It is doubtful it will ever happen. The more things change in Utica, the more they stay the same. If this great resurrection was going to happen, it would have already. So much time has passed. The Utica school system has one of the lowest graduation rates in the country. Crime rates are rising, as crime is no longer limited to certain areas, but it is the entire city. Other cities have bad sections, while Utica is an entire bad section. I'm not listening to this bull anymore. I've heard it too many times. Utica will only get worse. Look at the reality. Look at what is really here, and don't pretend that its something else. You can imagine that business leaders are investing in Utica, but in reality the only ones investing here are the drug dealers and criminals. Face the facts. If you own a house or any property here, sell it now while you still can. There are plenty of slumlords who will buy your house and subdivide it into a half dozen apartments. That, my friends, is the future of Utica.
Sorry,Patrick you could not be more wrong. Utica had 46 languages spoken in the school system it is now an international city. People from all over the world now call Utica Home. I see more homes with flowers care and love put into them. In areas that were bad when I grew up.
I can understand about the song and dance since the 80s. Actually Utica was still doing very well in the 80's. It took a turn in the 90's but if you took the time to watch the videos I think you would feel different.
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#57 Jul 26, 2013
Patrick wrote:
Please, feel free to share the following videos.
http://youtu.be/MmKCmzDhM-M 1EcoDev
http://youtu.be/yYr4Sj7wixc Utica Development 2
http://youtu.be/kPaj_wdiHws Only 2

These business leaders,plus the new Uticans have changed the city that I love for the better. Much better. The only thing that has not changed is some of the negative nellies on here. That's the only thing holding us back now.
UticaPride

New Hartford, NY

#58 Jul 26, 2013
NEW CITIZENS
Video

VIDEO: Naturalization Ceremony
UTICA —
San Day Dee left his home country of Myanmar, also known as Burma, to
avoid the atrocities committed by the nation’s military. He spent four
years living in a refugee camp in Thailand before finding a new home in
the United States.

On Thursday, Dee expressed his appreciation to the country that took
him in, as he and 45 other new citizens were sworn in at a
naturalization ceremony in Utica.

“Many thanks to (the) United States of America, city of Utica, for
welcoming my friends and family,” he said.

The ceremony at the Alexander Pirnie Federal Building was full of
welcome wishes and cultural blending. U.S. District Judge David Hurd
oversaw the ceremony. Deputy Clerk Craig Minor administered the Oath
for Citizenship and also was involved in distributing the Certificates
of Citizenship.

Guest speaker Peggy O’Shea, CEO of the Community Foundation of Herkimer
& Oneida Counties, Inc asked the new citizens to share their cultures
with the community.

“We welcome you here,” she said.“There are many in this courtroom who
take being a citizen for granted, I’m sad to say, but I know you never
will.”

The new citizens’ reasons for coming to the U.S. were as varied as
their backgrounds.

Husband and wife Thahn Ba Bui, 44, and Tram Tran Ngoc Nguyen, 35,
originally are from Vietnam. They came over for the benefit of their
daughter, 6-year-old Truc Bui, who now can be raised with more
opportunities.

“I love my country, but I love it here more,” Nguyen said.

Hard working people that want to be part of the American Dream. Welcome to America! Welcome to Utica!
Sam

Greig, NY

#59 Jul 26, 2013
UticaPride wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry,Patrick you could not be more wrong. Utica had 46 languages spoken in the school system it is now an international city. People from all over the world now call Utica Home. I see more homes with flowers care and love put into them. In areas that were bad when I grew up.
I can understand about the song and dance since the 80s. Actually Utica was still doing very well in the 80's. It took a turn in the 90's but if you took the time to watch the videos I think you would feel different.
International city for getting welfare, free hand out, housing, all paid for by tax money, Lets see family of eight comes to utica, free food,free housing, heating bills paid for, lets not forget heath care.
UticaPride

Utica, NY

#60 Jul 26, 2013
Please, feel free to share the following videos so that people can see the real Utica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch...
https://www.youtube.com/watch...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Esche Housing on Taxpayer dime -THREAD REMOVED- 5 min up up 9
free ELECTRIC FOR ALL MY SAVAGES THAT ABUSE KIDS 6 min J SEEMANN 2
4 yo CHILD ABUSED BY SOWBOON IN BRICK HOUSING 7 min J SEEMANN 4
Which is worse? Life in Utica OR Hot Fire Poker... 8 min Poker please 20
How many "Nano Factories" in Utica? (Mar '16) 8 min What dodge 473
Saratoga residents arrested for burglary, polic... 11 min J SEEMANN 7
Usmail Electric BUSTED in State CometsSCAM Audi... 11 min What dodge 35
tenney 24 min Utica Fail 73
Kaitlyn Conley (Jun '16) 26 min SEEMANN FAIL 172
she is mine now 43 min MORE HIGH TECH 19