Utican Invented Choco Chip Cookies BY ACCIDENT

Posted in the Utica Forum

Be Proud Utica

Utica, NY

#1 Jun 28, 2014
The Jacksonville (FL) Post- By Ricky Bonaduce
Posted: 06/26/2014 7:00 am EDT

Many old-family Southerners around these parts (Yes, Florida, and Jacksonville city, are actually southern, in spite of the Yankee immigration of the past 30 years.) like to think they having a monopoly on homey baked foods stretching back to the Antebellum (pre-Civil War) south that are legacies in the grand American cookbook. Well, in 1930 a Utica (NY) woman named Gladys (Malecki) Brindisi invented the chocolate chip cookie by accident, effectively changing millions of American lives forever. She and her husband Stanley owned an old camp lodge they rented to tourists on the Military Road in Remsen, NY called Toll House Inn. As the account goes, one day when Gladys was trying to make cookies for some patrons, she found to her horror she was out of the baker's chocolate she usually used. In a panic she replaced the baker's with broken nuggets of Nestle's semi-sweet chocolate instead, expecting the chocolate would melt and spread out in the batter just as the baker's would. Well, as we now know, the chips didn't spread, and chocolate chip cookies were born right up there in Utica, NY.
Robbie

Utica, NY

#2 Jun 28, 2014
Seriously?
Robert T Oliveira Exposed

Clifton Park, NY

#3 Jun 28, 2014
Robbie wrote:
Seriously?
No.

Since: May 14

Clifton Park, NY

#4 Jun 28, 2014
Robert T Oliveira Exposed wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Will there be an investigation?
Fkin Traitor

Utica, NY

#5 Jun 28, 2014
Utica Lies and Riggies wrote:
<quoted text>
Will there be an investigation?
Hope so
Booker T Washington

Utica, NY

#6 Jun 28, 2014
I would like to know more on this. Sounds like a legit article. Where might I find it for conf?

Since: May 14

Clifton Park, NY

#8 Jun 29, 2014
Booker T Washington wrote:
I would like to know more on this. Sounds like a legit article. Where might I find it for conf?
Lol!
Is This True

Watertown, NY

#9 Oct 28, 2014
Is this for real?
Great Region

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Oct 28, 2014
Is This True wrote:
Is this for real?
Yes. Uticans invented everything. Just ask them.
Is This True

Watertown, NY

#11 Oct 28, 2014
Great Region wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Uticans invented everything. Just ask them.
I will next time I'm in Utica. There must be a book written documenting this stuff
Who Knew

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Oct 29, 2014
Todays history fact wrote:
Yep, when "Famous Amos" Wally Amos was in the USAF and was stationed at Griffiss AFB in the late 60's he got his cookie recipe while in Utica. Then opened his first store in L.A. in the mid-70's.
Fascinating.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Parkway tax payers mad at city and DPW. 1 hr UticaisPathetic 4
This isn't France 1 hr Way to go 1
hillary clinton WILL be the next president 1 hr Bob 31
anyone know where i can find this girl? 4 hr Roof Lookout 3
Albany Devils are averaging 2,522 fans per game... 4 hr Albany Hockey sux 25
Hotel Utica 4 hr Lincoln Town Car 18
St. Joe's gone in the blink of an eye. 7 hr Old School Fan 1
How Much Does H & R Block charge To Do Your Taxes (Jan '09) Apr 30 fact check 637
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]