Comments
1 - 20 of 39 Comments Last updated Apr 15, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Amy

Mexico, NY

#1 Jan 20, 2010
Tell me about your stay at St.Elizabeth's hospital. They seem to have a large problem with Mrsa.
do tell

AOL

#2 Jan 20, 2010
what is mrsa?
Amy

Mexico, NY

#3 Jan 20, 2010
A staff infection resistant to most antibiotics. Can be deadly.
Scot Lady

Auburn, NY

#4 Jan 20, 2010
Every hospital does. St. E's is just very diligent on testing for it and taking precautions to prevent the spread of it. Most everyone has been exposed to MRSA, it just depends on your body's ability to fight off infection. A very ill patient may have a low immune system and that is when it will appear, usually in the elderly. A person touching produce in the supermarket could have been exposed and pass it that way. The majority of us have been exposed but unless our immune system is in decline we won't test positive for it. St. E's does have an excellent infection control system set up for patients and employees.
Amy

Mexico, NY

#5 Jan 20, 2010
I've had 4 experiences in the last 2 years that tell a different story. If at each visit I have made to the hospital I have had issues with this they are doing something wrong. They may have a protocol in place but the staff does not follow it. When my husband was in ICU a yellow gowned nurse went from a Mrsa patient room right into his and was alarmed when I called her on it. They have given my mother Mrsa and VRE, VRE while in a Isolation room from a catheter they insisted at putting in for their convenience. When my husband was transfered to a hospital in syracuse their first words were he came from st. eve's culture him for everything. today hospital administation came into a isolation room and did not wear gloves / did not wash her hands when she left and went directly into another patients room. Just trying to see if anyone else has simular stories.
Amy

Mexico, NY

#6 Jan 20, 2010
?
Amy

Mexico, NY

#7 Jan 21, 2010
Does anybody know how many cases were reported last year by St. Eve's and how many they billed insurance companies for. Think the number is the same?
Get it right

Camillus, NY

#8 Jan 21, 2010
Ok so are we talking about St. Elizabeths Medical Center or this so called St. Eve's which you have repeated numorous times in your post. First of do you even know how you get MRSA? And more people actually have MRSA then you are aware of. Your mother could have MRSA before she even come to the hopsital and a Cat would not have given her the MRSA. I agree with Scot lady St. E's has a wonderful IC. and I know this.
It is around

AOL

#9 Jan 21, 2010
MRSA is very common in small children not just the elderly,
tirednewyorker

Liverpool, NY

#10 Jan 21, 2010
Get it right wrote:
Ok so are we talking about St. Elizabeths Medical Center or this so called St. Eve's which you have repeated numorous times in your post. First of do you even know how you get MRSA? And more people actually have MRSA then you are aware of. Your mother could have MRSA before she even come to the hopsital and a Cat would not have given her the MRSA. I agree with Scot lady St. E's has a wonderful IC. and I know this.
You are correct! That is the reason they test for MRSA, because it is so common, most people don't even know they have it. Patients should be thankful they do the test. I guess those who do not work in healthcare are clueless!
ROCKIN

Rome, NY

#11 Jan 21, 2010
St.Lukes test alot of patients too, especially when they are admitted the ICU/CCU, then the patient is tested when the are transferred to a Med/Surge unit....its a very good thing!!
Glass House

Newport, NY

#12 Jan 21, 2010
Get it right wrote:
very well said, i would have no problem being treated at St-E's
Amy

Mexico, NY

#13 Jan 22, 2010
Mrsa is spread in hospitals and nursing homes because they do not clean properly yes it is everywhere but can be controlled by following simple procedures. It would not be as rampant if people paid attention and cared if they spread it. there are plenty of guidelines in place I see broken at every visit If people realized what a problem this is and paid attention instead of saying it's everywhere we would all be at less risk.My mother did not have mrsa before her stay there as she was tested before her surgery. She was in a room next to a Mrsa patient. Her infection came from cross contamination from the other patient. At the time st. E's admitted having a large outbreak. Also the cleaning staff would go from one room to another with the same bucket of water spreading the virus not eliminating it.
Scot Lady

Auburn, NY

#14 Jan 22, 2010
Amy wrote:
Mrsa is spread in hospitals and nursing homes because they do not clean properly yes it is everywhere but can be controlled by following simple procedures. It would not be as rampant if people paid attention and cared if they spread it. there are plenty of guidelines in place I see broken at every visit If people realized what a problem this is and paid attention instead of saying it's everywhere we would all be at less risk.My mother did not have mrsa before her stay there as she was tested before her surgery. She was in a room next to a Mrsa patient. Her infection came from cross contamination from the other patient. At the time st. E's admitted having a large outbreak. Also the cleaning staff would go from one room to another with the same bucket of water spreading the virus not eliminating it.
MRSA patients are not placed in the same rooms as those who are not on contact precautions.
Really

United States

#15 Jan 22, 2010
When my father had surgery at the death house on Genesee St they tried to put him in a room with a man with oozing sores all over hme. We had a big argument in the hall and we won. When we were leaving later that night they had the strap on the door of that room and the gown and glove precaution.. Don't tell me they have great procedures. They would have exposed a man with an open surgical wound to an infectious patient. Believe me that's not the only mistake they made. We should have sued.
St es is bad

Syracuse, NY

#16 Jan 22, 2010
i work in a nursing home and i have seen so many times patients that come from st es that has mrsa and they end up passing away from this cause its so bad and bedsores if they have the right care from that hospital it wouldnt be as bad but come on its a damn hopsital its so sad to see these people who are helpless come in like this sore so bad and they hurt them so bad its just not fair i will never go to that hospital
wash hands

United States

#17 Jan 23, 2010
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus - When my child was in the hospital due to a car accident I literally had to monitor every person who walked in the room to make sure they either washed their hands or used the alcohol based sanitizer and if I couldn't be there I made sure that somebody was. I also cleaned her bedrails and just about everything else I could think of with their wipes that are in the room. That's what we have to do to keep our family members healthy in the hospital environment and how do I know this , because I am an RN and have seen plenty of MRSA and other super infections run rampent due to Dr, Nurse and hospital personel not following the SIMPLE rules of Handwashing. So thats it folks, you have to be your own advocate and Never depend on these people following the rules as you will be sorry. And yes I know some smart as.. is going to say there are plenty of other ways to spread MRSA but statistics prove that handwasing is the number one preventive measure in preventing MRSA. Also don't be afraid to light a fire under someones ass (even the Doctor's) if they don't follow these simple rules because it could be a matter of life and death for Your loved one!
Gimme a break

Syracuse, NY

#18 Jan 23, 2010
St es is bad wrote:
i work in a nursing home and i have seen so many times patients that come from st es that has mrsa and they end up passing away from this cause its so bad and bedsores if they have the right care from that hospital it wouldnt be as bad but come on its a damn hopsital its so sad to see these people who are helpless come in like this sore so bad and they hurt them so bad its just not fair i will never go to that hospital
Pretty safe to say they arrive at the hospital with the bed sores already there, and pneumonia, and MRSA, and whatever other virus/germ of the week they sat around culturing at their nursing home. A case of the pot and kettle at best, and frankly with nursing home reputations the way they are, I wouldn't complain too much about St E's. What prestigious institution of drool, despair and death do you work at?
dump

United States

#19 Jan 23, 2010
The penguin's at st'e's are nasty useless trash.

Someome should tell these ignorant rude pieces of
garbage how to find some manners and read the bible,
because everything these penguin's are about goes against the bible.
Amy

Mexico, NY

#20 Jan 23, 2010
Just to clarify my mother was in ICU. The Mrsa patient was in the room next to hers, not the same room. The nurses would go from one room to the next without washing their hands. They would even go in the room without gowning up. Maybe you people that have never had a loved one compromised because someone is lazy cannot understand the frustration. My mother has her eye sewn shut because of the needless infection given to her at St. Elizabeth's.I just want people to realize what a problem this is and start to advocate for change. The reduction in transmission rates can be accomplished with effort on the hospitals part. Not putting procedures in place with no enforcement. Their are hospitals in this country that have reduced the rate of transfer by 75%-90% this should be the goal that they are all aiming for.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"SUNYPIE" Sweety Tomato PI students need "SPORT... 37 min Says Billy Gorilly 2
WHY are COPS NOTHING BUT CRIMINALS THAT DRAIN A... 41 min Says Billy Gorilly 9
sux my cox oh y dont u sux my cox (Oct '10) 44 min Says Billy Gorilly 3
COPS are the NEW ]\[IGGERS OF UTICA! 45 min Billy Gorilly 2
NEGRO WOMEN make NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC WHITE WOME... 56 min GROGDESTROYED AME... 2
ob negro women have 6 times the rate of communi... 59 min GROGDESTROYED AME... 1
NEGRO is RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL CRIME IN ATLANTA J... 1 hr GROGDESTROYED AME... 2
who was the chick a fuel bar having sex in the ... 2 hr Shes disgusting 7
New Hartford becoming Utica 3 hr Already left fool 21
utica aud 5 hr Apparently 139
What happened to dash cams UPD bought 5 years a... 6 hr Common Sense 16
utica national (Jun '13) 6 hr Holly 527
•••
•••
•••

Utica Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000