Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
namenotimportant

Watertown, NY

#1 Dec 13, 2012
Anyone see this article today?
http://www.uticaod.com/latestnews/x2105853544...

Isn't there already a school downtown?
Realy

Carthage, NY

#2 Dec 13, 2012
I saw the news and the UC president said that there is a "possbility of that in the future". Don't make itsound like a signed sealed and delivered fact. They did get oice space it the building tho.
Truth

Utica, NY

#4 Dec 13, 2012
The announcement said that this is where online classes will be run from. Are you familiar with how online classes work? Only 27 employees will be there initially with a projection that it may expand by 50 within 5 years. Online classes do not require classrooms and the newly leased space will not serve as classrooms. Online classes are becoming more and more popular. UC signed a 10 year lease.

The Utica School of Commerce is a school and it is downtown. That is where the similarity ends. You do realize that different schools, colleges and universities offer different courses of study don't you?
Ootica Goombah Paisano

Rochester, NY

#6 Dec 13, 2012
I like online courses and classes, I can attend them while nekkid and eat and drink as much as I like
BURGERS

Syracuse, NY

#8 Dec 13, 2012
Good news for MCDONALD & the SNAKESKIN JUDGE...OH!!!Her daughter goes to SU!!!WOW!!!
Truth

Herkimer, NY

#9 Dec 13, 2012
cheap wrote:
Why does UC need a 250K grant to move into the Harza building when they have a 30 million dollar endowment? Are the tax payers funding this grant?
Grants are available to everyone.
Grant writers submit an application.
Grant adminsitrators decide who gets the grants.
$250k isn't going to go very far when you're talking about paying 27 people, leasing that space for 10 years and all of the infrastructure that is going to be required to run the online classes.

I don't know what the naure of the grant was. Do you?
Maybe it was a grant for distressed downtown areas meant to encourage growth in areas that would otherwise not be considered. Downtown will now have 27 new people working there on average probably 200 days a year. Chances are they all eat, shop, bank and other things that generate tax revnue for the city and help downtown businesses survive. That $250 may well pay a lot more that in dividends.
A taxpayer

Greig, NY

#10 Dec 14, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
$250k isn't going to go very far when you're talking about paying 27 people, leasing that space for 10 years and all of the infrastructure that is going to be required to run the online classes.
Maybe it was a grant for distressed downtown areas meant to encourage growth in areas that would otherwise not be considered. Downtown will now have 27 new people working there on average probably 200 days a year. Chances are they all eat, shop, bank and other things that generate tax revnue for the city and help downtown businesses survive. That $250 may well pay a lot more that in dividends.
That's not the point. The jobs are already here and/or would be at the college. So, we pay $250,000 for a relocation of what we have. Plus the $3.5 million mortgage gift to Clark and the tax subsidies. With projects like this no wonder people leave our area and state.
Revive Utica

Cazenovia, NY

#11 Dec 14, 2012
What's the matter boys? Could it be that someone is actually doing something good for downtown, jobs etc..at least we know the grant money won't disappear or go unaccounted for.
Educator

AOL

#12 Dec 14, 2012
College students do not have money to spend downtown.Clark was the only winner as he bought the building for peanuts.
hey truth

Manlius, NY

#13 Dec 14, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't waste your time trying to explain to these people how the world works, they just want to sit behind a computer and look for the bad in everything. This is a win-win situation for everyone.
Truth

Utica, NY

#14 Dec 14, 2012
A taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>That's not the point. The jobs are already here and/or would be at the college. So, we pay $250,000 for a relocation of what we have. Plus the $3.5 million mortgage gift to Clark and the tax subsidies. With projects like this no wonder people leave our area and state.
That building was mostly unoccupied for years and no doubt deteriorating as any unused building would. The city taxpayers were making the loan payments but the city was unable to successfully market the space. Mr. Clark bought the buiding, is renovating the building, is successfully marketing the space and the taxpayers are no longer making loan payments.

There will be 27 new people shopping, eating and banking downtown. Yes, the 27 jobs probably did exist and this may be a lateral move in that regard but those 27 jobs are now in, and generating revenue for downtown Utica.

I've been a frequent critic of how tax money is spent but I think this $250k grant is peanuts compared to what it has the potential to generate with that building occupied.

Let me ask. Would you rather the building still be city owned, vacant and the taxpayers making loan payments on that multi-million dollar mortgage? You certainly can't blame Mr. Clark for taking advantage of everything that can legally be taken advantage of in pursuit of making that building a winner. If it was such a sweet deal all along my guess is that someone would've done it long ago. My guess, and I certainly don't know this for fact, is that part of this willingness on the part of Mr. Clark to take the risk of buying/developing the building has to do with his commitment to the city and to downtown in particular. He is taking quite a chance here.
Truth

Utica, NY

#15 Dec 14, 2012
Educator wrote:
College students do not have money to spend downtown.Clark was the only winner as he bought the building for peanuts.
Did you even bother to read and to try to comprehend what was written in the article before you offered this gem?

College students will not be the occupants of the building. The occupants will be the UC employees who administrate and maintain online courses. Those are courses that teachers teach and students attend from the comfort of whatever location they log in from over the internet. From your comment my guess is that you are not familiar with modern college/univestty academics.

The report I heard this morning is that the plan is to market at least some of thes online courses nationwide. Good luck to them. I hope that it's very successful.
east utica guy

Raleigh, NC

#16 Dec 14, 2012
No matter what people do to try and make downtown better, you will always have these trolls putting them down. Did T clark get a deal ,sure he did so what. The beautiful bldg was just sitting there going to waste, The Black River company across the street just put alot of money in their bldg . It looks good. We need more of this HOWEVER we do not need to turn Genny into a 2 lane street , this will be a disaster
Number 9

Herkimer, NY

#17 Dec 14, 2012
UC is garbage. Whats the point. A bunch of perverts running around screwing employees and their bosses
what

Utica, NY

#18 Dec 14, 2012
Number 9 wrote:
UC is garbage. Whats the point. A bunch of perverts running around screwing employees and their bosses
What the heck does that even mean? A bunch of perverts running around screwing employees and their bosses? I suspect nobody is screwing anyone but your mind can't get out of some gutter.
Sparky

Herkimer, NY

#19 Dec 14, 2012
The school finaly finds its way home, where the crap flows. About time...
The Dude Abides

Rochester, NY

#20 Dec 17, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>

There will be 27 new people shopping, eating and banking downtown. Yes, the 27 jobs probably did exist and this may be a lateral move in that regard but those 27 jobs are now in, and generating revenue for downtown Utica.
What places would those people possibly want to shop or eat at?
I surely wouldnt want to pull out my wallet or open my purse or even show a dollar in front of that building if you want to keep it in your possession.

I have thus abided

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#22 Dec 17, 2012
I gave my daughter a 9mm Glock handgun to put in her backpack in case there is another school shooting. She is pretty responsible for an 11 year old, so I trust her.
well

Manlius, NY

#23 Dec 18, 2012
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you even bother to read and to try to comprehend what was written in the article before you offered this gem?
College students will not be the occupants of the building. The occupants will be the UC employees who administrate and maintain online courses. Those are courses that teachers teach and students attend from the comfort of whatever location they log in from over the internet. From your comment my guess is that you are not familiar with modern college/univestty academics.
The report I heard this morning is that the plan is to market at least some of thes online courses nationwide. Good luck to them. I hope that it's very successful.
You bring up a good point Truth, maybe these people can't read and they don't understand what is being said by the news people. No wonder they are always mad, they don't understand what is really going on. It must really suck to be them and not get anywhere in life except on Topix sounding ignorant.
Truth

Utica, NY

#24 Dec 18, 2012
The Dude Abides wrote:
<quoted text>
What places would those people possibly want to shop or eat at?
I surely wouldnt want to pull out my wallet or open my purse or even show a dollar in front of that building if you want to keep it in your possession.
I have thus abided
Pizza Classic, Mello's, Court View, The Raddison, The Vietnamese place on Elizabeth St diaganally across from Historic St. John's Church.........

If you had ever bothered to look around the downtown area you would have seen that there are a great many places to eat and a variety too. Plenty of pizza, subs and like that but there are also a number of places to get authentic ethnic cuisine of all kinds as well.

As for safety, when was the last time you read in the OD police blotter or saw on the news a story about someone being robbed in downtown and especially at lunch time? It's an urban area and there are those elements that you'd find in any urban area but to be honest, most of the people I see around downtown when I'm there are working people. That includes police officers.

You comment is ignorant and uninformed in my opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Frank Duross, all his teams, have failed. (Jun '13) 17 min Utica Welfare Comets 40
Body at Olbiston Apts? 19 min Moorehouse 18
Keeler caller Mario is Cretin 22 min King TAZZ MVCC Dr... 26
House of Good Shepherd 28 min Imposter 22
Scott Close 32 min Wow 1
pitching lessons 52 min lessons 4
The U P D 57 min Nice 3
Wibx Keeler, the dead beat 1 hr Memer 49
Carbone Sold 15 hr Judu 18

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages