OD ArticleUtica Codes Ineffective

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Oct 07

Utica

#1 Jul 19, 2008
We have all been saying this for years. Now the codes department says they need 10 more people and new leased vehicles. Not for nuthin but codes violations are so common in Utica why dont they walk block by block? If codes were such a priority to this mayor why did he allow his Codes. Commis. to take 1 mo. vacation? And he places blame 10 years back. All the problems started under LaPolla many years before.
City Hall is a social club and landlords are not held accountable for their inaction.
This administration can not solve the problem but will perpetuate it.
deepend

Syracuse, NY

#2 Jul 19, 2008

Did you happen to see who owned many of these building's ?

Timothy Klotz , a former Sgt. for the U.P.D.
Lou Kritski

Cicero, NY

#3 Jul 20, 2008
Codes violations? The dept is only brought in if they are called as result of a complaint or for an inspection as the apt tenant may be county subsidized or by suspiscion. I would like to see all of the non permitted work performed in Utica inspected. For example all of the plumbing, I've seen regular joes drive out of Lowes with a truck full of copper piping. Little known fact is that you need a license to plumb in Utica. Don't rest the violations just on landlords, but for individual owners and for the tenants who recreate violations...
Klotz no UPD

Penn Yan, NY

#4 Jul 20, 2008
Tim Klotz NEVER worked for UPD, his brother did. And his brother was never a Sgt. Maybe these landlords who refuse to paint the exterior of their cashcrops need to spend the weekend in OCJ before out home values go any lower.
Easter Bunny

Manlius, NY

#6 Jul 20, 2008
The tale of the first seven months of the Roefaro Administration:

Wah wah wah.

Police Department. Blame it on Pylman.

Codes Department. Blame it on the landlords and never having enough. A good leader makes do with what he/she has and gets the most out of the troops. Not this guy, he goes on vacation for a month.

Economic Development. Blame it on everyone else.

Parking Garage. Blame it on the prior administration.

Hotel Utica. Blame it on Hanna.

Redecorating the office. Blame it on asbestos.

Charter Bank. Blame it on New Jersey.

OK. Now that all of the problems have been blamed on someone else.

WHAT IS ROEFARO GOING TO DO TO FIX IT?

WE ARE WAITING.
No Enforcement At All

New York, NY

#7 Jul 20, 2008
Easter Bunny wrote:
The tale of the first seven months of the Roefaro Administration:
Wah wah wah.
Police Department. Blame it on Pylman.
Codes Department. Blame it on the landlords and never having enough. A good leader makes do with what he/she has and gets the most out of the troops. Not this guy, he goes on vacation for a month.
Economic Development. Blame it on everyone else.
Parking Garage. Blame it on the prior administration.
Hotel Utica. Blame it on Hanna.
Redecorating the office. Blame it on asbestos.
Charter Bank. Blame it on New Jersey.
OK. Now that all of the problems have been blamed on someone else.
WHAT IS ROEFARO GOING TO DO TO FIX IT?
WE ARE WAITING.
Getting BACK TO the Topic of this thread.
This Codes Department is the most ineffective codes department that this city has seen since it's inception.
Lou Kritski

Cicero, NY

#8 Jul 20, 2008
It's not that ineffective, how many buildings have you seen that have been closed down by the corporation council? How many landlords do you see in court because of apprearance tickets for paltry things such as cracked window. I saw a landlord in court because his tenants had been in their apartment without water for almost seven months. If I were that tenant I would just move, there are plenty of apartments in the city it's just that there is a shortage of really really cheap apartments in the city. The reason Klotz and the like can rent their 'slums' is because people are willing to live in them, present condition. If the apartment was vacant for six months because it was a hole then maybe the landlord invest some money but the fact of the matter is that there is a steady supply of people willing to live in sub par properties because they cannot afford a decent apartment or maybe because Klotz doesn't perform background checks. Either way I'm sure it's win win.
Interested Party

New York, NY

#9 Jul 20, 2008
Lose Lose
Interested Party

New York, NY

#10 Jul 20, 2008
Interested Party wrote:
Lose Lose
us: not me imposter again. IP
Interested Party

New York, NY

#11 Jul 20, 2008
Interested Party wrote:
<quoted text>us: not me imposter again. IP
What?
Any one cares

United States

#12 Jul 20, 2008
Imagine if the common council actually did soemthing about the codes issue. Then imagine Frank Visera sticking up for tenant rights.

I don't think so
TAL

Cazenovia, NY

#13 Jul 20, 2008
Mr Codes Commissioner Goran blames the last 10 years on the reason the codes dept. is in shambles. News for him;
1. He worked in codes for the majority of those years.
2. 6 out of the last 10 years, the Codes Commissioners were Bob Sullivan and Dan Trevisani. The same two guys that Julian fired but Mayor Roefaro brought back.
3. Try working a little more and complaining a little less.
4. Do we have to listen for the next 3 1/2 years how everything that is wrong is the past administrations fault?
5. You have 10 inspectors. We don't have 10 cops out on the street.
6. A good leader works with what he has. And gets the most out of his employees. Try it sometime.
7. City taxpayers are sick of the whining.(See No. 3)
Take Responsibility

New York, NY

#14 Jul 20, 2008
I am a renter and fully believe that tenants need to take responsibility for themselves. If you broke it fix it. Why is the landlord responsible for what you broke, or the garbage that you leave around. How you live is on you. if the apartments are so sub standard or infested with who knows what than why would you rent it?? Or wait, maybe you brought the problem with you. Hmmmmmm i wonder.I think tennants should be held accountable for the conditions too. Maybe we shouldn't judge Mr. Klotz till we walk a mile in his shoes.
Tired

United States

#15 Jul 20, 2008
and who is the bosnian inspector that used to spend a good portion of his day at a friends body shop on hubbel st ?
willy

New York, NY

#16 Jul 20, 2008
Fire them all !!!
city taxpayer

Cazenovia, NY

#17 Jul 20, 2008
The codes dept will now go crying to the city council on how understaffed they are. Somebody should have them followed. Of course it starts at the top. If your boss comes in late and than takes a long lunch, why can't everyone?

Since: Oct 07

Utica

#18 Jul 20, 2008
Too bad the article only focused on 1 owner. Many more are habitual codes delinquents.
Lou Kritski

Cicero, NY

#19 Jul 20, 2008
Look at costs as well, the average landlord cannot absorb such costs. Materials alone are enough to bankrupt some. Most contractors want to become millionaires on the first job, most I meet claim because they have special handyman skills they earn $60 an hour and a $20 premium if the work is emergency. I should print my own business cards and switch businesses now...
T flyer

Utica, NY

#20 Jul 20, 2008
Lou Kritski wrote:
Look at costs as well, the average landlord cannot absorb such costs. Materials alone are enough to bankrupt some. Most contractors want to become millionaires on the first job, most I meet claim because they have special handyman skills they earn $60 an hour and a $20 premium if the work is emergency. I should print my own business cards and switch businesses now...
"What's the word" Lou?
Lou Kritski

Cicero, NY

#21 Jul 20, 2008
The word is you put in heat and they piss in the hot air ducts. Never in my time have I seen a landlord urinate on his hallway walls, must be magic since all the tenants plead innocent. I have friends who clean their buildings every week, usually Monday. But as I always say; You fix this place up on Monday, Friday it's back the way it was.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BIas OD at it again 10 min Tony Soprano 2
Audrey russo single?? 16 min Whoa 15
Donald Trump is Amazing 23 min Vladimir 10
Police Cover-up in New Hartford 37 min TheSlobSeemann 134
Jeff sessions 1 hr hey 2
Liz Olmstead (Jun '13) 1 hr full blown 72
Utica TOPIX is an Embarrassment 1 hr Bye later 8
Who is funding the Aud renovations? 2 hr And this 88
Sexless Marriage 2 hr FED UP 34
Keeler calls Joe Marino (Utica Councilman) out ... 7 hr Mushmouth Larry L... 144

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages