How Much Does H & R Block charge To D...
kwinbo

Iowa City, IA

#222 Feb 20, 2012
I compared Turbo Tax and H&R Block's free online services a couple of years ago. Since they keep a running tally of your refund, I went through the whole process with both of them just to see what they each came up with. Turbo Tax got me back a couple hundred more than H&R Block did, using the exact same information. So I submitted the Turbo Tax form and deleted H&R Block. Been using Turbo Tax ever since.
paul

Saint Louis, MO

#223 Feb 21, 2012
Utica wrote:
To the contrary, it's not based on your income, it's based on the forms that are used in preparing your return. It's clear either a) you didn't go there, or b) you didn't pay attention to what your bill consisted of.
So - you're either a liar, a sucker, or both.
And if your return was REALLY $400, you must have had self-employment or something beyond a simple W-2, which would have cost you far more at a CPA office than the four bills you paid.
<quoted text>
yes, based on number of forms entailed...so i'm told. H&R has done my returns for 15 years. no quibble do i have. paid $265 last year.....same lady has compiled the returns for last 12 years. yess, probably would save money with Turbo, but not a whale of a lot, and it's darned nice and less worry to have a competent and experienced pro tackle the job.
In the Know

United States

#224 Feb 22, 2012
paul wrote:
<quoted text>
yes, based on number of forms entailed...so i'm told. H&R has done my returns for 15 years. no quibble do i have. paid $265 last year.....same lady has compiled the returns for last 12 years. yess, probably would save money with Turbo, but not a whale of a lot, and it's darned nice and less worry to have a competent and experienced pro tackle the job.
Sorry but wouldn't consider anyone working at H & R Block a "pro" but enjoy!
Joann

Rome, NY

#225 Feb 22, 2012
Senior Center at the Parkway has certain dates where u can get your taxes done FREE! Call.
Self Tax Expert

Auburn, IN

#226 Mar 5, 2012
I've been using Tax Cut for years and I have investment income and stocks and a rental home + my regular job. I came here to see why Tax Cut(now H&R Block) charges $20 to efile state knowing it costs them nothing. I never pay more than $50 a year using the software.
deostar

United States

#227 Mar 6, 2012
Used taxact.com for years its free and simple if you understand deductions.I think they charge 14.95 to e-file.The idiots who work at these tax places are like you and me they are the readers for the automated program they use on their computer and charge 100.00.What a joke!
Fools and their money

Ruston, LA

#228 Mar 8, 2012
Utica wrote:
To the contrary, it's not based on your income, it's based on the forms that are used in preparing your return. It's clear either a) you didn't go there, or b) you didn't pay attention to what your bill consisted of.
So - you're either a liar, a sucker, or both.
And if your return was REALLY $400, you must have had self-employment or something beyond a simple W-2, which would have cost you far more at a CPA office than the four bills you paid.
<quoted text>
I am a CPA and people are amazed all the time when they come in and we do a better job and charge less than the person at H&R Block. I am sure there are some seasoned veterans at H&R Blocks that are excellent tax preparers....but, if you don't know who they are you could get the yard guy that went to a 13 week course so he could make extra money off season like my client (who just wanted to try them out) did. Or, you could get the one that told a good friend she could deduct $5,000 for the USED clothes she gave to Goodwill without telling her about the extra forms and documentation she would need. Luckily, she called me and got some free advice. YIKES!
karlton

Cleveland, OH

#229 Mar 9, 2012
went to H&R block and the old ( i mean 75+) year old lady first spelled my wifes name wrong then entered her social security number where mine was supposed to go and screwed up our regional income tax by saying we were in one city for an entire year when in reality we have been there for only 9 months because we had moved.$330.00 later and i still dont know how to itemize properly ( i was trying to look at her monitor but she seemed protective of her 'secrets'). we bought a house, i had paid lots of interest on student loans, we deducted medical, they did our state and regional which is where the bill really started to add up and the worst part is i owed 500 dollars to the IRS, 150 to the state, 650 to our city, and 330 to H and R BLOCK!!! next year Turbo Tax all the way. FML....
Tax man

Utica, NY

#230 Mar 10, 2012
RLS wrote:
Chris Lambert
If you go to Chris lambert office stay far away from mike Spohn ( in the same office) he will not get them done . I paid 3000 to get back taxes taken care of years ago. and have to get them back and take them some where else. then sue him for the taxes he did not do. stay away
Spohn Disposal

Rome, NY

#231 Mar 10, 2012
Tax man wrote:
<quoted text>
If you go to Chris lambert office stay far away from mike Spohn ( in the same office) he will not get them done . I paid 3000 to get back taxes taken care of years ago. and have to get them back and take them some where else. then sue him for the taxes he did not do. stay away
If Spohn is pulling that crap, how is he still working there?
Murder inc

Utica, NY

#232 Mar 11, 2012
Spohn Disposal wrote:
<quoted text>If Spohn is pulling that crap, how is he still working there?
Thatis what I would like to know . Alot of people tell me he is no good.And i Think he spends most of his time in Florida.
wes

Whitby, Canada

#233 Mar 24, 2012
sorry to be the 200th person not to answer your Q. "How Much Does H & R Block charge To Do Your Taxes" but i use StudioTax to see how much i get back then go to money mart because i`m impatient (and stupid)money mart are crooks 2 but they get it back in 2 hours. you drop off your info and come back for the money. they charge 15% for the first $300 and 5% for the rest.(in Ont.Canada)if you are not broke all the time like me then you can net file straight from the StudioTax program easy peasy. it`s made for the lowest common denominator of people.(example; one step away from wearing a hockey helmet and you don`t own skates (:..) P.S. i`m not a affiliate of either company mentioned, just trying to save you some time

Level 4

Since: Jul 11

Leesville, LA

#234 Mar 24, 2012
H&R is a ripoff. Spend your money on a local accountant.
Rena

New Hartford, NY

#235 Mar 24, 2012
Anita A wrote:
H&R sucks I've been going to them since 1988,but last yr. they really screwed me over. I have a friend who was working for them a said she only 8hrs. of training before she wa on here on
They suck, but you've been going since 1988? Can't fix stupid!
Janet

Hayward, CA

#236 Mar 27, 2012
ashley wrote:
OMG i hate h&r block!!!! dont ever go there! I'm 19 years old and made under 20,000 and my bill for them was 450 dollars!!!!! they suck, never ever ever again will i set foot in their doors! Im only 19 and a student how difficult can my forms be to file?? They should of paid me 400$ for sitting through everything i sat through with them...ugh...i hate them....
I'm hoping you have matured since you were 19, because I can't imagine someone paying $400 to have their taxes done when they only made $20K! "Ugh...I hate that!"
ALS25

Ravenna, OH

#237 Apr 8, 2012
I had H&R do my taxes yesterday and I'm livid!! I had called to find out the cost and was told I had to come in. I went in for my appt and asked before starting what the approximate cost might be and was told $200 or less to file 2 W-2's and itemize,$200 was the limit I set that I would pay so I went ahead with H&R preparing my taxes. After they were done I was told my total was $261!!! Nothing like taking 1/3 of my refund! Will definitely do my own from now on and would never recommend going to H&R. I had all my info organized so they knew exactly what they would be doing and being the end of the season should be pretty familiar with the pricing of what would need to be filed. Total BS and crooks!
Lil

Los Angeles, CA

#238 Apr 15, 2012
Chester wrote:
My CPA charged me 2,000 for my return. It was a schedule C , Schedule F, Sch A,Sch B, Sch E (rental)Form 4136,
Sch D Cap Gains,(2) Form 4562's and a Depreciation Schedule that had 15 items on it.
He also did the accounting before doing the Tax return.
Plus since I moved from one state to the other he had to file a New Virginia Return & give them all that depreciation stuff and file a Non Resident return for Maryland and they charged me money on Previous year Tax Refund .Plus I had withholding on my retirement income that I had to file to get back.
He also calculated my Estimated taxes for 2009. He did come to my house to deliver the taxes & he did wait 6 months since March for some sales receipts and a Hud 1 form I had to find.

Are those charges unreasonable considering the amount of work I had to have done? It seemed like a complicated return now that I think about it...
Do Late returns get charged more then when the information to the preparer is on time?
That's price sounds high end. You'd be able to get a CPA or tax professional (that isn't a crook like block or hewitt, etc...) to prepare your return for an average of $500 but that's for the return alone. I can't comment on the accounting fees, don't know what they start at or what yours in particular consisted of.
On the other hand

Syracuse, NY

#240 Apr 15, 2012
ALS25 wrote:
I had H&R do my taxes yesterday and I'm livid!! I had called to find out the cost and was told I had to come in. I went in for my appt and asked before starting what the approximate cost might be and was told $200 or less to file 2 W-2's and itemize,$200 was the limit I set that I would pay so I went ahead with H&R preparing my taxes. After they were done I was told my total was $261!!! Nothing like taking 1/3 of my refund! Will definitely do my own from now on and would never recommend going to H&R. I had all my info organized so they knew exactly what they would be doing and being the end of the season should be pretty familiar with the pricing of what would need to be filed. Total BS and crooks!
If the price was too high, you could have taken your paperwork (what you came in with, not the prepared return, obviously) and left. There is no obligation if you are not satisfied.
Dumb Azzes

Rome, NY

#241 Apr 17, 2012
U shoulda went to Parkway Center. It was FREE! All u had to do was call for an appt!
DOOFUS

New York, NY

#243 Apr 18, 2012
first amendment wrote:
hey dummies try trubo tax cost 75 beans, had return in 14 days this year. except the doofus troll he desnt have a job, upurs
Yeah except for the fact that my taxes pay for everything you own. Turbo Tax can be done cheaper than $75. But what would you know, your disability and welfare income isn't reportable as taxable income anyway.

don't you get tired of posting with a name that belongs to someone else? Pretty sure there is a registered member here with that name who is by far lightyears more intelligent than you. Envious much?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Superior Carwash Marcy 23 min SEEMANN GO HERE 10
The U P D cover-up 26 min LMAO 26
re /\\lGGER TOTALLY PWNED on Urban Dictionary ... 1 hr Negro Pride 69
upd white pride 1 hr Drain theSWamp 2
Chimps in shootica 1 hr White Pride 3
The Sanctuary (Aug '16) 1 hr Garbage 10
Boneyard 1 hr Owner 3
Cowards on utica topix 3 hr Little Mega Fagie 9
john brooks is a nazirite 4 hr Donald 37
Cops Speeding 5 hr You are a Dick sm... 33
Claudia chickens out 10 hr Trump 2020 24

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages