Does anyone remember Fitz on James st...
First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Badger

Herkimer, NY

#302 Aug 15, 2010
butch wrote:
well guys skippy is doing fine, ray now is fighting lukema and is staying out it syracuse with skippy. ray was staying with me up intil 3 weeks ago when he became very ill.
hi butchie,,,,you still quoting my father lol ;)
Ace

Baldwinsville, NY

#303 Aug 27, 2010
Badger wrote:
<quoted text>Hey is this Jim F. with a brother named Tony? If so this is Paula A.
Hey Paula...yup, it's me :-)
viking

Herkimer, NY

#304 Sep 17, 2010
hey jim its kevin wilusz should of told me that was you your family, whether you like it or not maryrose & tony and henrietta the chief and i forget your grandma's name all great people if your from the 1400 of howard you know what family is all about' the grandes, the lazores,the liggins jim you stay cool dont forget your roots
utica ny

United States

#305 Sep 17, 2010
Return of Caesarion wrote:
<quoted text>
you know what, speaking of roosevelt, I went there in the third grade, I was there the last year it was open, then we all got moved to Colombus.........Anyway...
I am seriously considering buying the building and remodeling.....or i should say restoring it and turning it into a Charter School...that would be so awesome,I wonder how much that would cost...
Anyway, I movesd
I was at Roosevelt the last year it was open and we all got moved to Proctor...not Columbus
great times

Clark Mills, NY

#306 Sep 17, 2010
hehe wrote:
<quoted text>We used ot walk the tracks to get to school & sit on the docks at lunch!!! Oh & smoke ciggs..I ll never forget that cole yard fire. that was incredible, I think when that burnt it was the begining of the sign of the times.. What about that candy store on the corner of elms street with that meany lady & her Husband..I think some guys still play cards their its the only place on the james street that nobody bothers Kinda strang isnt it!!!!LOL
How funny you mentioned walking the tracks, I grew up on Seymour and Square Sts. and we walked the tracks everywhere and yes, used them to smoke cigarettes waay before we were old enough. Do you remember Hullabaloo, or how about the pet store in Johnson Park? I remember two grocery stores, Pacerelli's across from the drug store on Neilson and Arthur, and then Columbro's at the corner of Square and Howard. Does anyone remember the store on the corner of Square and Neilson St? It was owned by an older man named Chris, we called it Chris's. and he used to keep a cleaver behind the counter for troublemakers! He was a sweet guy there up until he died. Growing up in Cornhill was great, we were always safe, except from our Mom's if we weren't home on when the street lights came on...that was too funny to hear! I can remember going to walking the tracks with my younger sister to go to Shoppers City in South Utica and thinking that OMG I was soo far away from home! How funny. We used to pack lunches and spend all day at O'Connors playground, laying on towels and swimming in that shallow cement pool. Also took dancing lessons there at the park from a girl they called "Kitty" at the time. Learned years and years later she was Claire Spellman. speaking of which they lived almost next door to Roosevelt School. The Skermont's were big in those days, and Kim Coleman, who later became known as "lion" and eventually opened the Lion's Den on James st. When I think about it, we walked everywhere back in those days and thought nothing of it. We walked to St. Francis for school, Buckley Pool for swimming. The best was walking way up to the parkway for sledding and skating. Joette Swisher. now Joette Mancuso, of Joette's went to Roosevelt School when I was there. And I remember some guy named Butch who was there for his last year, big guy, can't remember his last name now, but they used to say he was the oldest kid to drive to grade school!
West St Paperboy

Cortland, NY

#307 Sep 17, 2010
Badger wrote:
The drug store on the corner of Grove and Steuben St. was Bockmans (not sure of spelling), Diamonds Market was on the corner of Elm and Hobart, Harolds was the little store @ Steuben and Addington, across the street from Bockmans was Gerlings Market (same side of Steuben), other side of Steuben and on the corner of Arthur was Gillmores Market, next door was Kelly's Grill and then Johnny's Barber Shop. The lumber yard that caught fire on Elm St was Phillip Thomas - burned for days and I believe the little green ice cream truck was called Freezer Fresh. I too have fond memories of Cornhill, James St. Park, shoveling snow in the winter to make money, tobogganing on the parkway, UFA and St Francis Dances, football & hockey games on Wall St. and Addington Pl. and yes the neighborhood was tight. Everyone knew and looked out for each other. If we got yelled at by an adult we listened and respected (and didn't dare tell our parents because we would get yelled at/punished by them too). And yes Leos Pizza and Angelos Bakery were the best.
I had 2 paper routes in the 60's. First pick up was Bachmann's Drug Store. The second pick up was at Louies (Toukatly's) at West and James. I delivered papers for 3 years 1400 and 1500 blocks of West, Johnson Park 1500 block of Stueben and one block of James between Stueben and West. I also delivered to the apartment bldg that is now the nuisance convience store Wally's at the corner of West and James. He caters to the drug dealers customers. The lumber company that burned was Sunset Lumber. The ice cream truck that came through Cornhill each night was Mr. Softie.
viking

Herkimer, NY

#308 Sep 18, 2010
i grew up near howard and square st remember chrisis store on neilson and james 100s of penny candys skermonts lived at the end of square st at conkling ave near the hulllabalo and pool hall use to walk the railroad tracks to state street mill on mohawk st dan dee donuts across the street i use to deliver groceries for columbros mkt for a dime went to miller school then roosevelt how bout sal the barber on neilson next to drug store cant remember name of that drug store how bout mrs. mcgregor lunch lady at roosevelt those are the good memorys of cornhill
viking

Herkimer, NY

#309 Sep 18, 2010
i meant chrisis mkt on neilson & square3780
honestly

Herkimer, NY

#310 Sep 18, 2010
I loved Fitz. He was such a nice guy! I used to eat breakfast there. When did he die and how?
sadly enough

Syracuse, NY

#311 Sep 19, 2010
95 or 96.If I remember correctly it was complications due to Diabetes.
uhmmm

Cortland, NY

#312 Sep 19, 2010
joe hockey wrote:
who owned and the lion's den on james and seymour anybody know?
Mello Testa owned the Lion's den
Ace

Baldwinsville, NY

#313 Sep 20, 2010
viking wrote:
hey jim its kevin wilusz should of told me that was you your family, whether you like it or not maryrose & tony and henrietta the chief and i forget your grandma's name all great people if your from the 1400 of howard you know what family is all about' the grandes, the lazores,the liggins jim you stay cool dont forget your roots
Hey Kevin, no I never have & never will forget....thanks man :-) My Grandmother's name was Rose. Your family was awesome, you Dad was one of the nicest kindest men I had ever met. Your Mom was great as well.
Ace

Baldwinsville, NY

#314 Sep 20, 2010
viking wrote:
i grew up near howard and square st remember chrisis store on neilson and james 100s of penny candys skermonts lived at the end of square st at conkling ave near the hulllabalo and pool hall use to walk the railroad tracks to state street mill on mohawk st dan dee donuts across the street i use to deliver groceries for columbros mkt for a dime went to miller school then roosevelt how bout sal the barber on neilson next to drug store cant remember name of that drug store how bout mrs. mcgregor lunch lady at roosevelt those are the good memorys of cornhill
Mrs McGregor made the best mac & cheese in the world! I still remember it! She was so cool. I used to sweep the floor at Sal's barber shop for pennies. Then I'd use them in his peanut machine. Everyone else had gumball machines & Sal had a peanut one. The drug store was Able's. I think one of the brothers was Harry & I can't remember the other. I think we all had our "forts" on the tracks & lived at O'Conners Park. What was the store on the corner of Howard & Square, anyone remember? I lived up the street & can't remember for crap...lol Anyway, Cornhill was the best back then & I agree that the coal yard fire seemed to mark the beginning of the end. Oh yea...here's another. How about the potato chip factory behind McCarthy's cemetery? There was this one guard that used to give my brother & I free boxes of chips all the time.
viking

Herkimer, NY

#316 Sep 24, 2010
you no what ace i was my father smokeys ace that was my nickname,oh yeah he was a good man,i miss him so much, and your grandma rose & THE REAL CHIEF were the best i would always stop and talk to them on the porch of the duplex,not next door in the up and down,i was so glad to hear when chief & rose bought our old house that we grew up in that was cool for them to do all that work on that house is why it still stands,i actually drove by there today some real scumbags sitting on porch,oh yeah whoever asked that was columbros mkt on square & howard he use to call me to deliver grocerys in the neighborhood for a dime wow well ace you stay cool peace
Stepper

United States

#317 Sep 24, 2010
This makes no sense.
Ace

Baldwinsville, NY

#318 Sep 26, 2010
viking wrote:
you no what ace i was my father smokeys ace that was my nickname,oh yeah he was a good man,i miss him so much, and your grandma rose & THE REAL CHIEF were the best i would always stop and talk to them on the porch of the duplex,not next door in the up and down,i was so glad to hear when chief & rose bought our old house that we grew up in that was cool for them to do all that work on that house is why it still stands,i actually drove by there today some real scumbags sitting on porch,oh yeah whoever asked that was columbros mkt on square & howard he use to call me to deliver grocerys in the neighborhood for a dime wow well ace you stay cool peace
Yea, it's real depressing when you drive threw there now. I do every now & then. It's pretty sad. It's funny because now that you mention your nickname, I remember it now! Hahaha how funny is that? Yea, your parents were awesome. I always loved how your Dad played with all of us like he was still a kid himself. Good 'ole Uncle Ed. By the way how's Pete doing?
viking

Herkimer, NY

#319 Oct 12, 2010
hi there paula a.
Doggie

United States

#320 Oct 13, 2010
Does anyone remember Mr.Gerace from Roosevelt?
kitty

Little Falls, NY

#321 Oct 14, 2010
does anyone remember st agans dances so much fun kids from all east utica schools also had a great feast in the summer where you could meet good friends really miss them days also all the good times in procto park
Vickie G

Oneida, NY

#323 Feb 5, 2014
I went to MVCC and lived on Miller St near James in Corn Hill '81-'82. I remember Angelo's Bakery and his delicious persians. They were huge! Angelo was a real nice guy.

Rosario's Pizza got alot of my money also. I loved their pepperoni pizza.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
utica/county to help fund downtown hospital garage 7 min History 101 39
The POTUS and the Boy Scouts 16 min URA MORON 2
Donald Trump should get rid of all crooked poli... 22 min Doc 1
Islamberg 34 min The Truth 16
Trump says upstate New Yorkers should move 36 min Truth Hurts 1
OC ADA Mike Nolan.... 38 min TheSlobSeemann 49
ufd deputy chief o/t 46 min 4 Engine 4
Tried Anal-Hated It! 4 hr ImPEACH the ORANGE 24
Police Cover-up in New Hartford 13 hr More cowards 218
Sexless Marriage 17 hr Her 47