First Prev
of 2
Next Last
yucku

Utica, NY

#21 May 16, 2014
jacob wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a long, long time ago. As a rule, not for profits are disreputable as are those employed by them. Their bad reputation is/was well-earned and well-deserved. The bulk of the donations NEVER reaches the individuals that it was intended for but rather is sucked up in administrative salaries, benefits, retirement funds, transportation costs, and you name it. Those are facts that cannot be denied. As for the ride, I agree that it has never helped recover, return, or even find remains of even one child.
You are correct. I remember the disclosures made about the Heart Fund and Walk a few years ago. All the money was supposed to stay in the area. The disclosures made it clear that was a lie and most of the money was shipped out. Stupid people, stupid program.
archie bunker

Utica, NY

#22 May 16, 2014
Gaggy wrote:
I co-chaired a golf tournament years ago and "The ride....." was our beneficiary. There were two paid employees at that time and the rest of the people associated were volunteers. This was around 2000. Most of the money we raised went toward office expenses. They make hundreds of posters of children and copying expenses including leases of equipment, maintenance agreements etc. were pretty hefty. I don't know much beyond that but I find it hard to believe anyone was getting rich from the charity.
The law enforcement get rich from it. if the ride goes by your place check out the amount of police cars in the group.State Police,Oneida County Sheriff,UPD and other local law enforcement agencies send cars and suv's that the taxpayers foot the bill for. There will be at least twenty vehicles in the ride.

Since: May 14

Ilion

#23 May 16, 2014
archie bunker wrote:
<quoted text>The law enforcement get rich from it. if the ride goes by your place check out the amount of police cars in the group.State Police,Oneida County Sheriff,UPD and other local law enforcement agencies send cars and suv's that the taxpayers foot the bill for. There will be at least twenty vehicles in the ride.
I think "getting rich" is a stretch but there is a large law enforcement contingent for sure.

Level 6

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#24 May 16, 2014
upstick NY people

United States

#25 May 16, 2014
Gaggy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think "getting rich" is a stretch but there is a large law enforcement contingent for sure.
Sad considering the large number of cases, some cold, that are the result of shady or incompetent police/FBI work. For every great cop today there's another that's there for the ride.
Nobody

Watertown, NY

#26 May 16, 2014
So I am sure that this will make no difference to all of you who just love to bash anything you can on Topix but:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm...

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (where the money goes from the Ride for Missing Children) uses 93.2% of the money raised on program expenses (searching for missing children). That is in the NUMBERS on their 990 that they submit to the IRS. Are all of you jackasses trying to say that the IRS is in on it with them? That they lie and cheat on their taxes? That is the numbers in black and white, what do you have to say about that?

Since: May 14

Ilion

#27 May 17, 2014
Nobody wrote:
So I am sure that this will make no difference to all of you who just love to bash anything you can on Topix but:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm...

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (where the money goes from the Ride for Missing Children) uses 93.2% of the money raised on program expenses (searching for missing children). That is in the NUMBERS on their 990 that they submit to the IRS. Are all of you jackasses trying to say that the IRS is in on it with them? That they lie and cheat on their taxes? That is the numbers in black and white, what do you have to say about that?
I feel a lot better thanks for your post. The people I worked with at 'The ride..." seemed like great folks and they were passionate about what they were doing.
kevin

Utica, NY

#28 May 17, 2014
That link is not a certified, bonafide source of information. Quite frankly, it sounds like someone cooked the books and put it on there to sound legit. Be careful of what you put your faith in on the internet. Unless, it comes directly from a Foia, it is not believable.
Nobody

Watertown, NY

#29 Jul 24, 2014
Kevin,

Are you serious? You are saying that a 990 filed with the IRS shows cooked books? Do you think they would still be in operation now if the IRS saw that they were not doing what they were supposed to?

I seriously cannot believe some people, are you really that stupid or do you just like to argue?
My vote goes to Hillary

Utica, NY

#30 Apr 12, 2016
Gaggy wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel a lot better thanks for your post. The people I worked with at 'The ride..." seemed like great folks and they were passionate about what they were doing.
They state that 92.3% of the money goes to program expenses. What I would like to know is how much of that 92.3% is for salaries to process the work? Someone stated that 87% goes to salaries, then if participants knew for every $10 taken in $8.70 goes to salaries most people would not participate in this event. Can anyone post a link where the salaries of charitable organizations are accounted for? Some of the links provided here show administrative cost but none showed salaries of the people doing the work.
hank

Utica, NY

#31 Apr 12, 2016
My vote goes to Hillary wrote:
<quoted text>
They state that 92.3% of the money goes to program expenses. What I would like to know is how much of that 92.3% is for salaries to process the work? Someone stated that 87% goes to salaries, then if participants knew for every $10 taken in $8.70 goes to salaries most people would not participate in this event. Can anyone post a link where the salaries of charitable organizations are accounted for? Some of the links provided here show administrative cost but none showed salaries of the people doing the work.
Whatever the salaries are, I'm sure they are outrageously high. As with any non-profit that has been publicly exposed for fraud and theft, the salaries that are listed in the news are beyond anything reasonable and are always in the high six figure range. Remember when the United Way was criminally charged for fraud a few years ago? The news listed all the salaries, etc, and they were phenomenal. You can still find it with a simple google. Non-profits are notorious bandits, thieves, deceivers and strictly out for themselves. Be careful what you give to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police Cover-up in New Hartford 1 min melanie 219
Trump Approval Rating Dips to 35% 19 min Dominick 7
Utica cop bad decision move 20 min joe 3
best driveway sealer 21 min ctb fail 4
Trump says upstate New Yorkers should move 44 min Dems will GET you 46
another 12yo GIRL SHOT IN HEAD BY NOT HUMAN IN FL 55 min Waah waah Autism 58
10-Month-Old Shot Dead in Dad's Arms GUESS WHO 56 min Waah waah Autism 37
utica/county to help fund downtown hospital garage 1 hr Want to Know 49
OC ADA Mike Nolan.... 6 hr Youre next Fukko 63
Tried Anal-Hated It! 8 hr Utica a welfare t... 32