Ridiculous

Boston, MA

#42 Oct 21, 2009
Long time wrote:
Bevs
Boston Store We thought it was so neat that they had a parking garage!
McDonald's Downtown
Ball Shoe Repair
Name of store on busy cornor...can't think of it.
We used to wait for the bus there.
My memory of this area is from the 1970's. On the one corner was Daw's Drugs that later became Rite Aid. Next to it on the Genesee side was Oneida National Bank then the Boston Store right? What was in the building on the corner opposite Daw's/Rite Aid on Bleecker Street? I'm drawing a blank. Almost next to that was Oberman's mens clothing store and a little further down was the Tandy Leather. Next block down from that on Bleecker had a bridal shop, Madamoiselle maybe?, and a small restaurant. I also remember a men's store called Brill's maybe. I think it was in Genesee Street. Is that right?
adklakes

New York, NY

#43 Oct 21, 2009
Ridiculous wrote:
<quoted text>
My memory of this area is from the 1970's. On the one corner was Daw's Drugs that later became Rite Aid. Next to it on the Genesee side was Oneida National Bank then the Boston Store right? What was in the building on the corner opposite Daw's/Rite Aid on Bleecker Street? I'm drawing a blank. Almost next to that was Oberman's mens clothing store and a little further down was the Tandy Leather. Next block down from that on Bleecker had a bridal shop, Madamoiselle maybe?, and a small restaurant. I also remember a men's store called Brill's maybe. I think it was in Genesee
Street. Is that right?
I think it was shoe store named Miles or Becks..next to it was House of Cards...Brill Clothes was on Genny where the strip club is...next doot to Bev's most recent store. At the end of that block at Charlotte was Phleegers (sp) office supply.
Beanz

Stony Brook, NY

#44 Oct 21, 2009
How about Phillipson's Army & Navy store! We bought our Levis there!
Fanny Farmer where you could buy a frosted french mint chocolate bar or better yet fudge!
jeans beans

Utica, NY

#45 Oct 21, 2009
Anyone remember "The Famous Hat shop?"

There were also movie theatres in the area of where Peates Music House and the Imperial were.

Clinton Comet games at the Aud on Fridays and at the arena in Clinton Saturday nights!!
Beanz

Stony Brook, NY

#46 Oct 21, 2009
jeans beans wrote:
There were also movie theatres in the area of where Peates Music House and the Imperial were.
Clinton Comet games at the Aud on Fridays and at the arena in Clinton Saturday nights!!
Yes!!! The hat shop!! When I was in 2nd grade my mom bought me hat there that she said was "so cute on you!"..... I hated it and was mortified everytime she MADE me wear it!!! Ughhhhh!!!! LOL!
I used to go to the Comets games on fridays too!
Long Time Utican

Chicago, IL

#47 Oct 21, 2009
Also, you had Shectors clothing store, Nookies, Gold Top Bakery, Ruggerios Liquor Store, Willie's Ramblers, Niesners, Chicago Market, Kliens.
Ridiculous

Boston, MA

#48 Oct 21, 2009
jeans beans wrote:
Utica Sporting Goods was in that block near Peate's as well as Presty's the strip club if I remember right. I think Utica Sporting later moved up on Genesee near where McDonalds was.

Wasn't there another shop in that same area near the Masonic Lodge and where McDonalds used to be that had a stairway down to below sidewalk level to enter?
Beanz

Stony Brook, NY

#49 Oct 21, 2009
Remember when the Boston Store had actual elevator operators?? They would announce the floor and what was sold on it.
sam

Auburn, NY

#50 Oct 21, 2009
how about the night clubs with live bands? Adamo's, The Night cap, midnite marys,s
hooba

Utica, NY

#51 Oct 21, 2009
Beanz wrote:
How about Phillipson's Army & Navy store! We bought our Levis there!
Fanny Farmer where you could buy a frosted french mint chocolate bar or better yet fudge!
remember balls card shop
Ridiculous

Boston, MA

#52 Oct 21, 2009
hooba wrote:
<quoted text>remember balls card shop
Ball's was in the same block as the original location of Mello's Subs, The Grapevine restaurant and an upstairs strip club that I think was called Angie's Hideaway Lounge. A little further down Lafayette Street was Uncle Henry's on the right and Rascal's on the left.
Marie

Nampa, ID

#53 Oct 21, 2009
Just Wondering wrote:
Manny's Deli
i used to love their breakfast! their cheesecake was awesome! my husband once chewed out the owner for reprimanding an employee to humiliate her in front of everyone. after that episode, all the servers wanted to wait on us whenever we came in.
hooba

Utica, NY

#54 Oct 21, 2009
Ridiculous wrote:
<quoted text>
Ball's was in the same block as the original location of Mello's Subs, The Grapevine restaurant and an upstairs strip club that I think was called Angie's Hideaway Lounge. A little further down Lafayette Street was Uncle Henry's on the right and Rascal's on the left.
rascals turned into coaches co
Glad2BGone

Brooklyn, NY

#55 Oct 21, 2009
Zopper wrote:
Did anybody mention State Street Mill ?
I worked for Brodock for a while in the buiding that housed the old State St. Mill. The floors above Brodock were like walking into the past.Some of the old things were still there but I don't know if they still are.
nativegirl

Syracuse, NY

#56 Oct 21, 2009
Areyoukidding wrote:
I remember Jim's Food Market (Paciello's Grocery Store) where the Auburn is now. Those guy's at Jim's were the greatest!!!
Does anyone remember Leo's Pizza and Tony's Spagetti House on James Street. Thom McAn Shoe Store on Genesee Street and Miles Shoe Store on the Busy Corner.
That's when we actually had stores downtown. Utica was a busy place back then!!
OMG, Leo's had THE best pizza in Utica. My friends and I used to go there every Friday night for pizza and we always played Black Dog by Led Zeppelin on the juke box! Thanks for the memory!
nativegirl

Syracuse, NY

#57 Oct 21, 2009
Ridiculous wrote:
<quoted text>
Utica Sporting Goods was in that block near Peate's as well as Presty's the strip club if I remember right. I think Utica Sporting later moved up on Genesee near where McDonalds was.
Wasn't there another shop in that same area near the Masonic Lodge and where McDonalds used to be that had a stairway down to below sidewalk level to enter?
Was that shoe store? I vaguely rememer that.
adklakes

New York, NY

#58 Oct 22, 2009
nativegirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that shoe store? I vaguely rememer that.
wasn't that Ben Cummings Shoes..next to the Littlecote Hobby Shop, below the Bette Sherman Shop, and The Christian Science reading room..I loved that building..now a parking lot..
nativegirl

Syracuse, NY

#59 Oct 22, 2009
adklakes wrote:
<quoted text>
wasn't that Ben Cummings Shoes..next to the Littlecote Hobby Shop, below the Bette Sherman Shop, and The Christian Science reading room..I loved that building..now a parking lot..
Yes, Ben Cummings Shoes. Oh, I remember the hobby shop! I used to love that place!
Jeans Beans

AOL

#60 Oct 22, 2009
Remember "Berger's Department Store" that later became "Ray Seakan's?"

"Bab's Boutique??"

"Western Auto" on North Genesee Street. My parents bought me a "J.C. Higgins" bicycle from there!!
Utica memories

Bronxville, NY

#62 Nov 23, 2009
I vauely remember that one Christmas when I was very young, there was a train in the basement of the Boston Store - a big one that you could ride on! It went in and out and around holiday displays - or did I dream this?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
YWCA-Natalie Brown (May '11) 24 min ddd 67
Utica Aud: AHL Welfare All-Star game 32 min large marge 204
Amy Warney True or False 52 min Never trust cops 1
Who is the Best Cancer Doctor in the area? 55 min Been there 5
Parkway Drugs Pharmacy is the Worst. 1 hr parkway is great 11
Laurie Larkin living back in the hood 1 hr Billy 7
Who has the best pizza in Utica 3 hr Charlie 11
The WORST Contractors in Central NY (May '10) 12 hr Bend Over IanHob 294
Bernadette Romano-Clark 13 hr Annette 12
Utica Dating