Who remembers 1960's shopping/ eating...
Truth

Fayetteville, NY

#23 Oct 20, 2009
nativegirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I loved going downtown on Monday nights, those were the great times. Utica was a nice place to shop back then. Jiffy King had the BEST subs! Remember when the The Little Peanut Shop blew up?
Also remember the Triangle coffee shop>
Triangle Coffee Shop is still there!!
Long Time Utican

Chicago, IL

#24 Oct 20, 2009
Don't forget Uncle Henry's
Long time

New York, NY

#25 Oct 20, 2009
Bevs
Boston Store We thought it was so neat that they had a parking garage!
McDonald's Downtown
Ball Shoe Repair
Name of store on busy cornor...can't think of it.
We used to wait for the bus there.
Great Memories

New York, NY

#26 Oct 20, 2009
Remember swim lessons at the YWCA.........bathing caps with strap under chin...tomato pie for sale...the ping pong table...it was fun!!!!
Zopper

Manlius, NY

#27 Oct 20, 2009
Did anybody mention State Street Mill ?
Wimpee

New York, NY

#28 Oct 20, 2009
LOVED the burgers at Kew-pee's, can still remember the taste! My mom used to take me there on the way home from downtown. Downtown was hopping it those days.
Just Wondering

Manlius, NY

#29 Oct 20, 2009
Manny's Deli
Jeans Beans

AOL

#30 Oct 20, 2009
I believe Manny's came around the early 70's. That buliding was once the home of Wittig's restaurant, which I think moved to the Grand Union Plaza before that became the Pickle Barrel Deli.

LOL...I always tell people I have a Masters Degree from State Street Mill, as I took most of my graduate courses there in the 80's. I remember those stairs seemed like an eternity ewhen I was a kid.

State Street Mill had another store on Mohawk Street.

“I know nothing!”

Level 1

Since: Jul 09

Luft Stalag 13

#31 Oct 20, 2009
Neba roast beef vas gut food too. Dan Fusco bought me my first ever Neba sandwich around 1971-72 and I vas hooked. Oneida Square vas vhere it used to be.
Areyoukidding

Jamesville, NY

#32 Oct 20, 2009
I remember Jim's Food Market (Paciello's Grocery Store) where the Auburn is now. Those guy's at Jim's were the greatest!!!
Does anyone remember Leo's Pizza and Tony's Spagetti House on James Street. Thom McAn Shoe Store on Genesee Street and Miles Shoe Store on the Busy Corner.
That's when we actually had stores downtown. Utica was a busy place back then!!
Jeans Beans

AOL

#33 Oct 20, 2009
Tony's Spaghetti House was great!! Definitely remember Miles Shoe Store!

Going to Shammy's Juvenile Shoes (think that was the name) for "stride right shoes" for school.

I wish our kids had these kinds of memories growing up in the Utica and surrounding areas. Sadly, they missed out on when the area was really thriving.
60sfood

Stockton, CA

#34 Oct 20, 2009
nah wrote:
Jeans Beans was the absolute best in the country!!!!!!!!!!
Try Sal's in North Syracuse by the airport. Open on Friday's only.
CaptainQueef

Jamesville, NY

#35 Oct 20, 2009
yes, wait, hmmm, yes....yes I definitely remember eating in the 60's. Do I win?

Is Jeans Beans really Joe Kelly? Popping off a lot of nostalgic names but really saying nothing? I think it is. Remember cars, clothes, my cat? Remember grandpa's farts, stuff and other stuff? Remember 2nd grade, licorice, the 72 Big Red Machine? Remember glass, Mars, food and fingernails? Awesome stuff, really. These memories and all.

Come to think of it I actually remember eating in the 70's, 80's 90's and even today!

Wow, great thread Joe, keep 'em coming.
walker

Syracuse, NY

#36 Oct 20, 2009
how about roller skating at the highlands roller ring? Walking up and down the Genesse st. on Monday nights was great . Oh for those days again Poodle skirts and white bucks .
walker

Syracuse, NY

#37 Oct 20, 2009
How about the 1/2 way bridge and penny candy
I Remember

Fayetteville, NY

#38 Oct 21, 2009
Areyoukidding wrote:
I remember Jim's Food Market (Paciello's Grocery Store) where the Auburn is now. Those guy's at Jim's were the greatest!!!
Does anyone remember Leo's Pizza and Tony's Spagetti House on James Street. Thom McAn Shoe Store on Genesee Street and Miles Shoe Store on the Busy Corner.
That's when we actually had stores downtown. Utica was a busy place back then!!
I remember Leo's Pizza. Not positive but I think it was at James and Seymour, and they had great pizza!
Glad2BGone

Brooklyn, NY

#39 Oct 21, 2009
Love these kind of posts...bring back many great memories.

I know its not South Utica, but wasn't there a bakery at one time down by Potter School near the Aud?
adklakes

New York, NY

#40 Oct 21, 2009
..shopping and eating in the 60's..downtwn was jammed on Monday nights, and we'd drive all over and look for a parking spot. There was the Index Restaurant on Blandina St..where the State office building is..right up from the Red Cherry Pie Shop..The Panetta sisters had a restaurant on Bank Pl before they moved to Charlotte Street. There was
the Towne House at the corner of Genny and Dakin, The Morris Coffee Shop (where 257 is now), Maxwells' on Genny (previously a Wittig's),Peter's on Franklin Square (was the Utica Chocolate Shop which relocated after an urban renewal project on Lafayette).someone mentioned Wolfie's..the Mohawk Room of the Boston Store, Moms' favorite block had Utica Floral, Bev's (before she moved to the location we remember) My Boys Shop, University Shop, Reid Sheldon, Utica Sporting Goods, Leeds Furniture, Betty Sherman Shop...it was the block of Utica's best small upmarket businesses at the time. The block of Bank Place was Shammy's Shoes, Dell's Shoes for children, The Hughes Shoes Co. There was a Stockbroker on Bank Place, Vernon R Evans office supplies, there was a coffee shop on Union St at the end of the block, around the corner from Bagg's Real Estate office (which was later Adams Travel), and years before that a shoe repair store. I have vivid recollections of parking in the Union Street "Dutch" lot, and walking that block, laden with packages. Anyone else remember the best "smelling" corner in Utica?
It was corner of Columbia and Genny..when the wind blew the right way..you could get the mix of the "Little Nut Shop",Karmelkorn, and Hemstroughts'
Columbia St bakery, where the donuts were in the window....and one block up, at the corner of Pearl and Genny was the worst smelling corner..Jones Fish Market next to Charlie Parkers and Joe the Barber. It was the same corner as Mittlemans'..at the entrance to Utica's "City Club"..a private businessmans club. Then there were all the cool shops between Bank Place and Bleecker, Webbs, lofts Chocolates, College Hall, Kay Jewlery, Beck's, JB wells, oh I coud keep going...and then someone will do a piece on "House of Cards"..and the introduction of many baby boomers into the era of "peace, pot, microdot"..posters,.incen se, Ravi Shankar music...and strange little pipes and papers, This was where the real Hippies were...LOL..we felt so shady at 13 going in there.and loved it
adklakes

New York, NY

#41 Oct 21, 2009
Glad2BGone wrote:
Love these kind of posts...bring back many great memories.
I know its not South Utica, but wasn't there a bakery at one time down by Potter School near the Aud?
New York Bakery..which was owned by the founders of DannDee Donuts!
Ridiculous

Raleigh, NC

#42 Oct 21, 2009
Long time wrote:
Bevs
Boston Store We thought it was so neat that they had a parking garage!
McDonald's Downtown
Ball Shoe Repair
Name of store on busy cornor...can't think of it.
We used to wait for the bus there.
My memory of this area is from the 1970's. On the one corner was Daw's Drugs that later became Rite Aid. Next to it on the Genesee side was Oneida National Bank then the Boston Store right? What was in the building on the corner opposite Daw's/Rite Aid on Bleecker Street? I'm drawing a blank. Almost next to that was Oberman's mens clothing store and a little further down was the Tandy Leather. Next block down from that on Bleecker had a bridal shop, Madamoiselle maybe?, and a small restaurant. I also remember a men's store called Brill's maybe. I think it was in Genesee Street. Is that right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Upstate New Yorkers say Trump should move 7 min NOLANS FEM WIFE 2
Utica cop bad decision move 9 min NOLANS FEM WIFE 36
Trump says upstate New Yorkers should move 12 min NOLANS FEM WIFE 81
breaking NEWS EAS ALERT WOMAN KNOCKING ON DOORS 14 min NOLANS FEM WIFE 10
What Did LOADED DONLON Do at NASA After MIT 16 min NOLANS FEM WIFE 8
Oracle PeopleSoft 1Z0-416 exam sample questions 34 min howardee 1
OC ADA Mike Nolan.... 38 min Loony Autistics 70
utica/county to help fund downtown hospital garage 56 min Wants to Know 59
Police Cover-up in New Hartford 10 hr Never letting go ... 220

Utica Jobs