Remember DiMeo Said No to NASCAR

Posted in the Utica Forum

spletch

AOL

#1 Feb 12, 2010
Remember several years ago a large developer from California wanted to build a NASCAR racetrack at the former base. The problem with this is that DiMeo said it did not fit his vision for the base. The problem was they had their own funding and would have prospered and brought in millions to our area. This is not about the public, it is about Steve DiMeo.
Fed Up

Auburn, NY

#2 Feb 12, 2010
spletch wrote:
Remember several years ago a large developer from California wanted to build a NASCAR racetrack at the former base. The problem with this is that DiMeo said it did not fit his vision for the base. The problem was they had their own funding and would have prospered and brought in millions to our area. This is not about the public, it is about Steve DiMeo.
I said it then and I'll say it again: The beaurocrats CAN'T STAND the idea of a bigger fish coming in calling the shots and stealing the show. Just look at how they treated the OIN. If they can't boss people around and cut themselves into the deals they say no.

Also, I wonder how that idiot DeMeo's lofty "vision" for the base looks now that it's going to be a ghost town.
CNY Super Park

New York, NY

#4 Feb 15, 2010
What a ton of $$ and jobs a race park would bring to our area.

Could make use of it all year round, sleds and ice racing in the winter months.

A crying shame for a race fan, boo-hoo.
Just a note

Utica, NY

#5 Feb 16, 2010
for the record, NASCAR was never coming here. The France family ( which owns NASCAR ) also owns a controlling interest in Watkins Glen ( about 60 miles from here.

They would never build another track down the street from the one they already own. The France family also controls the NASCAR calendar.

No body would invest 80 - 120 million dollars in a new track unless they had a promise of cup race date for the track.

The France family would not give that date then compete with itself down the road.

That is why the track neer materialized. It had nothing to do with EDGE
CNY Super Park

New York, NY

#6 Feb 16, 2010
I would say the glen is @ least 125mi. away and maybe a race park would go way of like the utica aud. 5500 seat arena and no concerts to speak of.
black

New York, NY

#7 Feb 16, 2010
wrong private investers were willing to put up 500 million of their own money to build that dream no grants or state investments
sometimes

Auburn, NY

#8 Feb 16, 2010
Just a note wrote:
for the record, NASCAR was never coming here. The France family ( which owns NASCAR ) also owns a controlling interest in Watkins Glen ( about 60 miles from here.
They would never build another track down the street from the one they already own. The France family also controls the NASCAR calendar.
No body would invest 80 - 120 million dollars in a new track unless they had a promise of cup race date for the track.
The France family would not give that date then compete with itself down the road.
Didn't they say something like this when the Oneida Nation wanted a PGA event,sometimes it pays to persist
Steve jobs

New York, NY

#9 Mar 23, 2013
Cny is a great place for a nano center. Lots of scientists and engineers live here. Lmfao
Bveld

Utica, NY

#10 Mar 23, 2013
Just a note wrote:
J A N, Spletches point was that "Dim" E O Said that Nascar didn't fit his vision. His FAT ASS team member Roanne Destito was also a FAT negative to anything good that could have come our way by private investors.
I specifically remember that she said "I voted no because I don't know anything about racing"
Eventually Cuomo's type will finish off what's left of Herkimer County too. J M O
Imagine

Waterville, NY

#11 Mar 23, 2013
What if NASCAR was at griffis and every thing at griffis was at Oneida county airport .We would be flush with jobs and would justify 840 leading to somewhere..Edge should be renamed WEDGE ,Wedge to hold door shut for progress!
Freebie the Bean

Verona, NY

#12 Mar 23, 2013
"Fed Up" brings up a good point about whose control it would be. The local leaders want a hand in running everything here including having a "family & friends" plan to place their people in high-level jobs. I'm not a NASCAR fan but I think it would've put this area on the map bigtime. Imagine an oval like Daytona right there at the Griffiss Park, site of the Griffiss 500...
metrosexual

Syracuse, NY

#13 Mar 23, 2013
We don't have an air traffic controll tower anymore ! WTF! I guess Tony Picente doesn't have a Chuck Schumer connection anymore .
Getitright

Columbus, OH

#14 Mar 23, 2013
metrosexual wrote:
We don't have an air traffic controll tower anymore ! WTF! I guess Tony Picente doesn't have a Chuck Schumer connection anymore .
Efge has done a lot for community.
Sarah

Schenectady, NY

#16 Nov 3, 2014
metrosexual wrote:
Dimeo is dumbeo

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone know how to contact Hal stanton?? 11 min james 2
ND Warmack suspended for grades but....... 56 min local 23
Missing U Even More 1 hr Pruvit 9
Rashy has been sacrificed for the public good 1 hr nortutica 1
Time Warner Charging For Your Computer Modem! (Oct '12) 1 hr ques 43
President Absent at NYPD Funeral 2 hr My opinion 13
My girlfriends sister (Sep '11) 2 hr Next 21
Jill WKTV 2 hr red dot 49
Serious car accident in Utica 8 hr wow 21
East Utica in the 70's and 80's/ what do you re... (Jan '10) 16 hr Little Johnny 380
utica national (Jun '13) 22 hr Eieama Lyon 656
Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:17 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 3:17PM
Greg Cosell's Film Review: How Rex Ryan's D pressured Tom Brady
Bleacher Report 4:20 PM
NY Giants Twitter Mailbag
NBC Sports 6:23 AM
Jason Pierre-Paul: "I think I am worth a lot of money" in free agency
CBS Sports 8:20 AM
Report: Rex Ryan cleans out his office, expects to be fired by Jets
ESPN 8:56 AM
Sources: Ryan expects to be fired by Jets
NFL 9:05 AM
Jason Pierre-Paul: 'I think I'm worth a lot of money'
Bleacher Report 9:24 AM
Report: Jets HC Ryan 'Bracing for His Ouster'
Yahoo! Sports 3:39 PM
Bills' Dareus, Gilmore to miss finale
Bleacher Report 6:10 PM
Could Cutler, Shanahan Reunion Work for Jets?
NBC Sports 6:17 PM
Polian could return to Buffalo and still get to Canton in 2015