Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Level 1

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#1 Sep 28, 2009
I am as apathetic as the next person but I feel dirty after seeing a few of the photos on the OD's site. Especially the one with a very young girl obviously just shattered with grief and someone else similarly afflicted trying to comfort her. That shit isn't news. This isn't a large, community happening, it's a family tragedy. Sadly I have probably only made a few others now look for the pics.
In agreement

White Plains, NY

#2 Sep 28, 2009
I saw that as I was looking through as well. There is a line that should NOT be crossed in photo journalisim and this is definatly one instance when the photographer should have teken into consideration what just happened. I also seen the black photgrapher or reporter being kicked out of the scene. Anything to get a story huh? My thoughts and prayers are with the family. OD, WKTV use a little common sense.
Junior

Auburn, NY

#3 Sep 28, 2009
There is a line and I agree about the picture of the young girl. I'm only guessing, but I assume that is one of their daughters. If not, the mere possibility of it being a daughter should have precluded them from publishing the photo. That is clearly the single most tragic moment of her life. She did nothing to deserve that moment being exploited.

The other photos seemed fine, but that one was so obvious that some discretion should have been used. I certainly hope it doesn't appear in tomorrow's print edition, and hopefully they retract it from their website.

What's worse is that there is a "Buy this photo" button under it.

Level 1

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#4 Sep 28, 2009
Junior wrote:
There is a line and I agree about the picture of the young girl. I'm only guessing, but I assume that is one of their daughters. If not, the mere possibility of it being a daughter should have precluded them from publishing the photo. That is clearly the single most tragic moment of her life. She did nothing to deserve that moment being exploited.
The other photos seemed fine, but that one was so obvious that some discretion should have been used. I certainly hope it doesn't appear in tomorrow's print edition, and hopefully they retract it from their website.
What's worse is that there is a "Buy this photo" button under it.
Yes, all their photos have that. It is a powerful photo, just not an appropriate one. I don't know what the hell the photographer's race has to do with anything though.
how come

Auburn, NY

#5 Sep 28, 2009
No pictures of the back yard, bad reporting.
love

Ithaca, NY

#6 Sep 28, 2009
jesus in his mothers arms! was this bad reporting?
OD Out Does Itself

Auburn, NY

#7 Sep 29, 2009
I noticed that they took down the picture of the reporter getting yelled at, yet they leave the one of the young girl crying on the ground. Truly unbelievable! I guess this shows where their priorities are.
anyone

New York, NY

#8 Sep 29, 2009
Go to Uticaod.com , click on "contact us" to send an e-mail. They should be flooded with e-mails saying all of these comments. For printing those horrible pictures.
cheat

Jamesville, NY

#9 Sep 29, 2009
I don't agree with you often dr rick but you're 100% on this one.

Made me sick to my stomach.
Doctor Rick Dagless M D wrote:
I am as apathetic as the next person but I feel dirty after seeing a few of the photos on the OD's site. Especially the one with a very young girl obviously just shattered with grief and someone else similarly afflicted trying to comfort her. That shit isn't news. This isn't a large, community happening, it's a family tragedy. Sadly I have probably only made a few others now look for the pics.
Omg

New York, NY

#10 Sep 29, 2009
I agree also. That one photo of the young girl who i believe is there daughter made me very teary eyed.
longtimeUtican

Auburn, NY

#11 Sep 29, 2009
As someone who has gone thru the sudden death of my little boy many years ago, the picture that the OD published brought back so many painful memories. Common decency should have prevented the OD from publishing the picture of the young lady obviously in emtional turmoil. There should be a line that is NEVER crossed in journalism - leave the immedicate family alone during times of grief. It is very obviously by all the remarks posted here that NO ONE wants to see these types of pictures. God Bless this family and watch over and comfort them.
upset

Ithaca, NY

#12 Sep 29, 2009
I saw the photo last night on line of the young girl on the ground and was shocked....then this morning in the OD they put it was the daughter!! I am disgusted with this. Shame on them!!
Yeah

New York, NY

#13 Sep 29, 2009
It is there 15 yr old girl. How sad and terrible.
One sad day

Rome, NY

#14 Sep 29, 2009
I personnally spoke to Donna Donnovan this morning and she put me in direct contact with Joe Kieta the Editor. I expressed my outrage concerning the picture concerning the daughter of the deceased. I applaud the OD for letting me relay my personnal feelings, but cannot excuse them for this act just yet. The poor lambs who are left to absorb the greif the rest of their lives do not deserve this. Shame on you OD, and WKTV for poor reporting. I understand objective and comprehensive reporting. However, there is a line in the sand, and the OD along with WKTV has crossed it. I invite everyone who reads this to call the OD now and flood their lines.
Batt Recon

Utica, NY

#15 Sep 29, 2009
The editoral staff of the Observer-Dispatch ought to be ashamed of themselves. It sickens me to think that anyone would take a picture of that girl, who's parents have just been killed, let alone publish it. It adds no editorial value to the article.

I wouldn't line a bird cage with that paper, and shame on anyone who saw that photo and approved it's publication. From this point on, anyone that would normally buy the OD, don't. Just give put the money aside for that poor young girl who just lost her parents. She and her siblings will need it.
Bambi

Rome, NY

#16 Sep 29, 2009
Did they have cameras back then?? Get real
love wrote:
jesus in his mothers arms! was this bad reporting?
uticaanditsinbre ads

Ithaca, NY

#17 Sep 29, 2009
I FELT THE SAME WAY. BY THE TIME I MULLED IT OVER AND STEWED ABOUT IT, GETTING MUCH MORE ANGRY THE OD HAD ALREADY TAKEN THE PHOTO'S OFF.
bad journalism

Camillus, NY

#18 Sep 29, 2009
The OD is a disgrace to this community. Mrs. Donovan should know what family tradegy is. I pray for those children.
Junior

Auburn, NY

#21 Sep 29, 2009
Well, the OD took it off their website. But it's TOO LATE. They published it and now it has hit the AP and gone WORLDWIDE...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/art...

They had an earlier photo of the same young girl yelling at the reporter. So it was clear that the girl did NOT want to be taken advantage of. At 15 (a minor), I hope she sues the OD for everything.

I also hope the ENTIRE region does a mass boycot of the OD. You can all start by calling and canceling your subscriptions NOW.
Uuuutica

Rome, NY

#22 Sep 29, 2009
Leave it to the OD. How come there weren't any photos of Little Andrew Donovan crying outside his mom's home when he got arrested for DWI??

And last night watching WKTV's coverage of the SP Press Conference, what a difference you could see. Capt. Coots was so professional and knew what was going on, then they asked a question of Labella. He just LOOKS stupid doesnt he?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Corupt Utica area politicians 10 min eyes 1
W. Jackson 12 min eyes 5
Bagg Square soon to be center of United States 25 min MrObvious 4
Wktv News finally in Hi-Def ! 2 hr Sad Utican 15
NFL Expansion Coming To Utica 2 hr Sad Utican 10
Boonville Man Charged With Rape 2 hr Sad Utican 1
Utica To Host 2017 Super Bowl 2 hr Sad Utican 5
Utica Comets leaving after 2016 season!... 2 hr Sad Utican 22
AHL Worldwide 2 hr Sad Utican 61
How long does the IRS take to refund money afte... (Mar '13) 4 hr rosalind jefferson 39
listen to the teachers whining 7 hr Your ignorance is... 117
Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:59 pm PST

Bleacher Report 7:59PM
Why the NY Giants Absolutely Must Draft ILB Denzel Perryman