donna donovan idiot article 2

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
odsucks

Baldwinsville, NY

#1 Nov 20, 2011
Another brilliant article by Donna Donovan in the OD today.

She whines about not getting paid by advertisers and how they have over a million in unpaid ads or some nonsense.

She's an idiot.
Real Deal

Baldwinsville, NY

#2 Nov 20, 2011
Not excusing the deadbeats that don't pay, but you think someone at the OD would be smart enough to stop taking ads from people that don't pay....then again, this is the OD we are talking about...what was I thinking...
Yep

Flushing, NY

#3 Nov 20, 2011
In this day and age with the economy the way it is and with Internet and social media. She is lucky people are still advertising with the od. She should be ashamed of herself writing that. I advertised with the od before and I fell behind a few times due to my customers not paying me on time. However I have always paid my bills.
yep2

Baldwinsville, NY

#4 Nov 20, 2011
I just read it as well (didn't notice it until I saw this thread.

It sounds like she's taking a jab at someone in particular at the end, about the "barbados" trip. I've heard that their ads are wickedly expensive considering the poor readership.

The od seems to always have the same tired ads running all the time. It's definitely true that she should be happy that people advertise with that rag in the first place.

I saw some little magazine today at a gas station that had all these local coupons and stuff in it, seemed kind of cool, too bad stuff like that isn't more readily available.
Yentl

Utica, NY

#5 Nov 20, 2011
yep2 wrote:
I just read it as well (didn't notice it until I saw this thread.
It sounds like she's taking a jab at someone in particular at the end, about the "barbados" trip. I've heard that their ads are wickedly expensive considering the poor readership.
The od seems to always have the same tired ads running all the time. It's definitely true that she should be happy that people advertise with that rag in the first place.
I saw some little magazine today at a gas station that had all these local coupons and stuff in it, seemed kind of cool, too bad stuff like that isn't more readily available.
I think it's amazing Donna portrays herself as sme kind of fiscally prudent Pollyanna who's only goal is "helping" the community. Her son got a slap on the wrist for a hit&run DWI, she's had all kinds of financial problems and most recently fired half her staff saying they were so happy to sacrifice for her continued well-being.

Meanwhile her tampon newspaper has done a criminal disservice to the community for the last 20 years helping enable her corrupt and useless political friends like RoAnn Douchestito and a few other career parasites a free pass like she tried to to to that scumbag fraud DA Arcuri in his escapades. Her ridiculous support of that closet homo Sherwood Boehlert the lover of the young male interns. In a perfect world they'd skip burning her ass in effigy and just burn her in the streets with gasoline for real!
Hey Donna

Watertown, NY

#6 Nov 21, 2011
Some good advice...DONT DRINK AND DRIVE!
Mark Mincemeat

Tully, NY

#7 Nov 21, 2011
Notice lately, how the OD has turned into the Ladies Home Journal, with show us your pets and flowers and more iSpy pictures than I need in a year!? Or that the website has the same news for four days in a row and the Sunday paper is no more than 3 pages in 4 sections, with the largest section the classifieds and no REAL news in the local section anymore.
We should all boycott the OD one weekend to prove to them the power of the people demand a decent newspaper for the community. And stop talking down to us DONNA! We're all not as stupid as you look or think! Write a real column for Sundays, not just something that's happened to you during the week or at the OD in the cafeteria! Nothing to say? Then stop writing nonsense to us altogether.
Agree

Utica, NY

#8 Nov 21, 2011
If they didn't run the ads...paid or unpaid...there would be no paper!...I started delivering the OD 52 years ago when it was 7 cents per day and I was paid 7 cents per week per customer. It was a real newspaper then...the Wednesday paper weighed a "ton"...I tried to remain loyal to my old employer until about 2 1/2 years ago when I cancelled the "Disgrace" and never looked back.
Every now & then I'll pick up the latest rag and I am only reassured that my decision to cancel was the right one...I've been receiving the Rome Sentinel for the last 21 years since I lived in Sylvan Beach. No question about it...if you want to read some local News & Sports...pick up the Sentinel. The OD better wake up before it is too late...
yes

Baldwinsville, NY

#9 Nov 21, 2011
can someone start a real newspaper around here? the demand is certainly there, why isn't someone doing something about it.
Earle Greed

Lake Placid, NY

#10 Nov 21, 2011
Figures I stopped my subscription a few months ago and missed another brilliant editorial. Oh well, that's the way it goes I guess.
Here it is

Utica, NY

#11 Nov 21, 2011
Earle Greed wrote:
Figures I stopped my subscription a few months ago and missed another brilliant editorial. Oh well, that's the way it goes I guess.
Here ya go....

"Simple rule of life: Don't buy what you can't afford"
Donna Donavan

A necessary evil of our company’s fiscal management is the quarterly reconciliations.

We check bank records and match them against our own financial records. We verify everything in pre-paid expense to make sure it’s properly allocated. We look at vacation accruals to identify employees who have a lot of time left to take before year end, and those who are running ahead of the game.

And we review our ad aging – 97 pages listing every advertising client who owes us money.

First, a heartfelt vote of appreciation for the businesses – and they are in the majority – who pay for services rendered. And on time. Some of them even pay in advance, as a way of managing their business.

But as to the others, well, it’s a disheartening exercise. There are an awful lot of people out there who apparently think nothing of not paying their bills. There are a lot more who routinely let their bill run out to 90 or 120 days past due, and then maybe they’ll get around to paying it.

Our quarter 3 aging – which covered ad receivables through September – showed about $1.5 million in outstanding accounts. Most of those bills are current – meaning the accounts are still within a reasonable timeframe for payment.

But about 6 percent are past due by three to four months; and another 15 percent — worth nearly a quarter of a million dollars – are still unpaid four months or more after their advertising ran.

Some of these are simply bookkeeping issues. A good share of advertising placed in the O-D comes through advertising agencies; and some of the larger agencies, handling some of the larger accounts, get easily confused over which account owes which bill. Those often take months and months to resolve, with quite a bit of haggling along the way.

Other long-past-due accounts are our fault; perhaps an old credit which has not yet been written, or an in-house error which posted a payment to the wrong account. We use these quarterly in-depth reviews to identify those and get them fixed.

And then there are the games players. These are the accounts that view each change in ad rep as an opportunity to – suddenly – recall errors or problems from months or years back that the former rep supposedly promised to resolve.

Regardless, we take unpaid accounts very seriously. A full-time credit manager doggedly pursues each overdue account. We try to work out payment plans. Sometimes we’ll negotiate payment in kind – such as food for an employee event.

When all else fails, we turn to collection services. After we’re confident we’ve exhausted every possible avenue to secure payment, we write off the charge, and give it to professionals to collect. They keep half, we get half, and the deadbeat gets a big ding on their credit.

I’ve never understood people who buy goods or services without having the money to pay for them. My parents raised their children to never buy anything unless we had saved the money to pay for them. Our family’s first new car was a 1966 Chrysler Newport, and that was only after they’d saved enough money to replace the 1954 Buick they’d used for more than a decade.

We know times are tough. All we ask is that our clients make a good-faith effort to pay their bills. Otherwise, they’ll become fodder for the quarterly review sessions. And I’ll get real irritated when I overhear a client talking about their upcoming trip to Barbados – when I know they’ve got thousands in unpaid ad bills sitting on our books.
Da Law

Ithaca, NY

#12 Nov 21, 2011
Someone might want to ask Ms. Donovan about what her actual circulation figures are. According to the numbers from the Audit Bureau of Circulation the *real* numbers are close to 10,000 less than what she has posted on the OD's website.

If someone is paying for the 41K in daily circulation the OD claims they might be surprised to learn the paper is only going to 33K readers. And the numbers continue to fall every sampling period.
fact

Utica, NY

#13 Nov 21, 2011
donna does not get it... she is not very well liked in the community the paper has really hurt our community during her leadership... I STOPPED ADVERTISING IN O.D. 4 YEARS AGO BECAUSE OF THEIR POLICIES SHE SHOULD ASK HERSELF WHY THERE IS SO MUCH TURNOVER IN EMPLOYMENT THERE ... MAJOR PROBLEMS THERE BUT SHE DOES NOT CARE AS LONG AS SHE GETS PAID ... THE PAPER LACKS INTEGRITY.... FIND ME ANYONE WHO HAS ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT THE LOCAL PAPER.... NOT SO WITH OTHER TOWNS...
INTERESTING

Utica, NY

#14 Nov 21, 2011
Da Law wrote:
Someone might want to ask Ms. Donovan about what her actual circulation figures are. According to the numbers from the Audit Bureau of Circulation the *real* numbers are close to 10,000 less than what she has posted on the OD's website.
If someone is paying for the 41K in daily circulation the OD claims they might be surprised to learn the paper is only going to 33K readers. And the numbers continue to fall every sampling period.
PROBABLY why clients are not paying ... they are being lied to about distribution...
Another Utican Who Thinks

Cortland, NY

#15 Nov 21, 2011
Why would anyone want to advertise in the OD? My high school newspaper has more pages than the OD does...and the news is more current.....and most of the news is ripped off from news services..I just have to laugh everyday when I go into a store and see racks and racks of OD's still there by 6pm......their days are over..mark my words...more people are reading the PennySaver these days....
its only me

Cortland, NY

#16 Nov 21, 2011
the paper has turned into someones own personnel vendetta journal...the so called food critic who would tear apart local business under the writing assumption that the writer ate 3 meals a day...that was her "credentials"...and now with the poor me we cant get paid pity story....line up people everyone has a story...in the paper we recieve on sat. a tops grocer insert is placed..thats all well and good because the paper is printed in binghampton where there is a tops store, when i called and talked to ms.donavan about this her response was "i wasnt aware" where are you buying the paper maybe they put it in!!! news is always stale a pennysaver type article which is ok but not for the local paper and the store clerk says that the sunday paper will be going up in price very soon. the computer is this generations newspaper all that needs to be seen and read do it here..just have to change MY old diehard habits.
former OD reader

Boonville, NY

#17 Nov 21, 2011
Mark Mincemeat wrote:
Notice lately, how the OD has turned into the Ladies Home Journal, with show us your pets and flowers and more iSpy pictures than I need in a year!?
The Ladies Home Journal LOL that is exactly what has happened since Kris Worrell took over as editor about one year ago.

This former "features" editor and Girl Scout troop leader Kris Worrell has completely ruined what only one year ago was a fairly decent paper for a city of Utica's size.

Now, anyone who buys the OD can look forward to a drumbeat of stories about pets and seniors and Girl Scouts and bake sales and community festivals and tips for healthy living. It is no longer worth our money.

I am sorry to say that because we would like to support a good local newspaper but the O-D is just so full of meaningless drivel since Joe Kieta left and Kris Worrell took over as editor that we no longer buy it.
funny

Utica, NY

#18 Nov 21, 2011
the only thing the od is good at is....... personal vendettas just talk to some former od employees ......
Former customer

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Nov 21, 2011
We used to advertise with the OD and penny saver. Than they changed things and lied. I was fed up and stopped doing business with them. I went thru 5 sales reps. They all quit bc they couldn't stand this lady. We only advertise online and some dirert mail.
educated

Rome, NY

#20 Nov 22, 2011
The OD is nothing more than a rag sheet. I predict they will be going out of business within 6 months.

They have no loyality towards their employees, or the numerous sub-contractors (carriers, etc.) that work for them. Their reporters don't have any ambition or incenitive to go out and find the news - they repeat what is already on FB by UPD, and other items that are in public records. No one at the OD has the ability to do investigative reporting and there is plenty going on with city politics that could keep the OD in business for the next 20 years IF anyone had the ambition to seek it out.

I can think of better things to spend my money on rather than a rag sheet that isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
JFK high school 1975 to 1979 (Nov '09) 6 min ZZtop 141
Linden v Brindisi 14 min Watching 2
obliston apts 14 min ZZtop 3
scummy picente 16 min We need change 5
Big drug bust new hartford 25,000 cash money 18 min Useless law enfor... 19
Jobs coming in Utica with potential impact on L... 54 min True 7
Nano trouble 1 hr Tomato Pie 18
Utica teachers to Kids: Drop Dead 1 hr omg 23
Rat Picente endorses Cuomo in TV ads 14 hr Next Flight Out 51
Bobby Zumpano - Dave's Big Brother BUSTED 16 hr Reality 5