Any Magnificent Yankees/Executives/Ro...
Dave w

Palm Bay, FL

#41 Jul 21, 2011
I marched 62-66 with Marty Isha, Mike dimayo, Rudy Diamico, Kurt Kruger, Brian Dowd and all the other great guys.... won the state championship made the finals in the nationals in Miami great summers Still get chills when I hear the COL Bogie march and ST Joe's still sucks llmao
The screaming eagles were the best always enjoyed them.
Another Cadet

Utica, NY

#42 Aug 1, 2011
I played bugle with the Yankee Cadets in the mid '70's. I'll never forget the practices at old post 229, and marching for hours in the parking lot of UNIVAC. I think the corps was on the decline then, but we learned a lot and had a great time too.(except for the ride home from Batavia as a rookie!:))
The names I remember are Marty, Dennis and Joe Servello. A couple of our songs were Sweet Caroline, New World...cant remember them all, but I sometimes still dream about the 'street beat.'
Karen

Tempe, AZ

#43 Aug 2, 2011
joe wrote:
I MARCHED WITH THE YANKEES FROM 1966 TILL THE END I WAS ASSNT. DRUM MAJOR 1969 ON. THE YOUTH TODAY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE MISSING.
BEST TIMES - BEST FRIENDS......THANKS
Hey, bro, you are gone but never forgotten.
John Scharmach

Chicago, IL

#44 Aug 5, 2011
Another Cadet wrote:
I played bugle with the Yankee Cadets in the mid '70's. I'll never forget the practices at old post 229, and marching for hours in the parking lot of UNIVAC. I think the corps was on the decline then, but we learned a lot and had a great time too.(except for the ride home from Batavia as a rookie!:))
The names I remember are Marty, Dennis and Joe Servello. A couple of our songs were Sweet Caroline, New World...cant remember them all, but I sometimes still dream about the 'street
beat.'
was this Joe Servello from Utica formally with the Starlettes?
Wayne Higdon

Clifton Park, NY

#45 Aug 11, 2011
Wow...haven't thought of the Screaming Eagles in 30 years, but now I remember. I was a Yankee Cadet drummer from 71-74, then Yankee Marauder and Avant Garde. This year we started the Avant Garde Alumni Drumline (google us) and performed at Drums Along the Mohawk. The good old days are back!
another

Syracuse, NY

#46 Aug 12, 2011
John Scharmach wrote:
<quoted text> was this Joe Servello from Utica formally with the Starlettes?
Hey John,
Do you still remember how to play "George of the Jungle" on the tri-toms? Did you marry Donna?
Ruffule

Cedar Rapids, IA

#47 Nov 2, 2011
I cannot ever forget the great times I had starting with the cadets and all the way to Syracuse and tried out as a professional. If anyone knows how to get a record, tape, or anything that shows the Magnificent Yankees, please let me know.
John Scharmach

Dover, DE

#48 Nov 2, 2011
another wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey John,
Do you still remember how to play "George of the Jungle" on the tri-toms? Did you marry Donna?
Who asked? My memory about anything we played is fuzzy. If you marched in Royaleer's drum line I'd like to talk. John
Glen Beck 8th

Hamilton, NY

#49 Nov 3, 2011
I played with the Prospect Crusaders and Utica Executives; the good old days!
Good to see others still upright and taking nourisment.
Anyone remember what happened to the Zaugg brothers?
Former member

Raleigh, NC

#50 Dec 1, 2011
John Scharmach wrote:
<quoted text>
Who asked? My memory about anything we played is fuzzy. If you marched in Royaleer's drum line I'd like to talk. John
Hi John,
I remember you and did march with the Royaleers during that late 60's early 70's timeframe. If you are who I'm thinking of, your girlfriend was Donna (color guard captain?) and her sister Linda also marched. I laughed at the "George of the Jungle" comment. If you remember that is what you played in parades in between full corps musical numbers like "You'll never Walk Alone", "Sounds of Silence" and "Who Will Buy" from Oliver. It's also what you played us on and off the field with at competitions. That is my recollection but we all know how that goes.

The names I remember from the drumline are Bill, Kowalick, Jim Gigilotti, Dick Warzala, Ed Saughter, Chet Doughrty, John Moskal, Fred Paul, Tom Conneley, Joe Rella, Rudy Gawron, Mike Neri and Bill Berry. I'm sure I've forgotten some and please excuse the spelling of the others. I remember winter practices at the armory, spring in the Utica Mutual parking lot, drum practice at "the Post" and Washington School as well as drill all summer long on the JFK High School field.

Somewhere on the internet there is a dvd for sale that was created from an old 8mm black and white film. It's the 1970 World Open at Lynn Bowl in Lynn, MA. It's very grainy but when I saw it and heard the music it brought back a flood of memories. I wonder what happened to all of those people.
Dave Wilcox

Albemarle, NC

#52 Feb 2, 2012
Ah! What great memories. Drum Corps saved me. Baritone: 1966 Executives; Utica, NY. 1967 Magnificent Yankees. Followed Dick Robilato and a large group to the Syracuse Brigadiers for the 1968 season. 4 year hiatus for military service followed by Connecticut Huricanes; 1974-75. Still have the bug after all these years.
A Flag

Utica, NY

#53 Feb 2, 2012
Walked to French Road GE every night from East Utica in summer.
Walked to Hughes school in winter.
Walked home from the Armory Sunday night during the Blizzard of 66.
Rode the bus to Chicago.
WOODCHUCK!!!!
Nathan Detroit

Passumpsic, VT

#54 Feb 3, 2012
gary brody wrote:
I live in Palmdale, Cal. now, but in high school I remember watching the Screaming Eagles perform and practice. One of my UFA class mates, Calvin Brown, was a Screaming eagle. They were great.
The Screaming Eagles were the best. Stan Winston was a member and a good friend of mine. Those days at UFA were the best .Class of "72".
A Flag

Utica, NY

#55 Feb 4, 2012
Yo leftt
Yo left right left
huh

Utica, NY

#56 Feb 4, 2012
The Zaugg brothers have both passed on.
another NYer

Brooklyn, NY

#57 Feb 4, 2012
Ruffule wrote:
I cannot ever forget the great times I had starting with the cadets and all the way to Syracuse and tried out as a professional. If anyone knows how to get a record, tape, or anything that shows the Magnificent Yankees, please let me know.
You can go to www.fleetwoodsounds.com and check out their list of CD's -- it's awesome! What happened at Fleetwood was a labor of love; when the studio in Lynn, Massachusetts was destroyed in a fire, so were all the master tapes from 1958 to whenever. What followed was that many drum corps fans donated their good used vinyl LP's to Fleetwood, and Fleetwood went and converted all of the analog vinyl to digital files, then transferred to CD. The quality is awesome! I own three CD's that feature the Magnificent Yankees: 1965 World Open, 1966 CYO Nationals, and 1967 NYS Am. Legion Championship. Enjoy!!!!
another NYer

Brooklyn, NY

#58 Feb 4, 2012
My favorite show closings ("exits") of the Yankees are Rhapsody in Blue ('65), Dream/A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes, I Wish You Love ('68), Man of LaMancha/To Dream the Impossible Dream ('69), and Cabaret ('72).
another NYer

Brooklyn, NY

#59 Feb 4, 2012
correction: "Dream" was the 1967 exit.
another NYer

Brooklyn, NY

#60 Feb 4, 2012
Dave Wilcox wrote:
Ah! What great memories. Drum Corps saved me. Baritone: 1966 Executives; Utica, NY. 1967 Magnificent Yankees. Followed Dick Robilato and a large group to the Syracuse Brigadiers for the 1968 season. 4 year hiatus for military service followed by Connecticut Huricanes; 1974-75. Still have the bug after all these years.
Interesting to note that after many of the Yankee age-outs went to Syracuse, the Yankees went through a rebuilding year that saw three relatively unknown kids (at that time), Jay Wanamaker, Larry Desiato and Tom Coyne (yes, THE Tom Coyne) move up to the "big" corps in 1968. Jay played snare, Larry was on tenor and Tom was on "rudi-bass".
Really now

Rome, NY

#61 Feb 4, 2012
Great memories.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What would you do? 23 min Ben there done that 5
Tenney 23 min Jack 75
dari del vs stewarts utica ny 30 min lol 22
CNY Young Conservatives to Meet Up 32 min NDA2000 2
Ahhhaaa! ANOTHER 350 jobs lost in NY!! 35 min RMR 6
What happened to Charlestown Outlet? (Apr '09) 39 min RMR 60
Told You Last Week About CNN on Utica Topix 1 hr Truth 1
teddy talerico good hes dead 1 hr Really 42
The U P D cover-up 2 hr Hey fckface 79
Talk of the Town 3 hr Nonya 20