Any Magnificent Yankees/Executives/Royaleers alum's out there?

Posted in the Utica Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 86 Comments Last updated Jan 22, 2014
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
another NYer

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2008

Judged:

I played tenor drum and snare drum in the Yankee Cadets drum and bugle corps back in the 1960's, and later for a short stint I played tenor drum for the "Big Corps" in 1969 and 1970.

It's a shame that we do not have a big name drum corps east of the Syracuse Brigadiers that we can really call our own. But I do cherish the local memories, and the parades we used to have in Utica back then make the ones they have now look pathetic!

Anybody want to comment as a past member of the above mentioned corps, or want to just reminisce? Anyone remember just hearing the Yankees practice at night during the summer months at the G-E (now ConMed) parking lot? Or perhaps the Yankee Cadets practicing at the Proctor Park across from Cafe' CaNole?
nice times

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

I do remember the Yankee cadets and brings back memories of a pleasant time for us when we were young. There was respect for people and families.. The bands were dedicated for years for us to enjoy. Part of our past-- a good time
Fun

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

I sure do I was in the Cadets. We also practiced at post# 229. I can name a few of the old guys. Do also remember the Screaming Eeagles drill team?
Ask Larry

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Ask Larry D., he was an avid participant of the Magnificent Yankees, etc, etc.
Most like they were responsible for his success in the Music business (Classified)!
showman

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Alot of Utica's youth learned music and alot about teamwork from these groups. Too bad they are no longer in place around here.
Drum Corps Nut

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Once your in it gets in your blood, the pageantry the contests good times the sounds the ambiance of just being on the field. Yes at one time there were drum corps sponsored by Police Atletic Leagues a long time ago, Magnificent Yankees were sponsored by Post 229 for the most part, they became NYS Champs, went to Nationals.Now it is big business and these corps go on tour. You can check out the DCI web site http://www.dci.org/ and go to drums along the Mohawk. The senior corps are DCA cuz members age out at 21. In the old days judges carried clip boards now tape recorders. Mr. Coyne from KTV does a great job announcing at the DCI held in Rome he was in drum corps too. At GE French rd the cars used to line up 4 deep across the whole lot for the practices. Them really were the good old days. What memories. I wish I could turn back the clock oh well the one thing no one can take is our memories. I had the privilege of marching with the best corps around and also which had the best instructors...we were ahead of our time in one way. You can drum corps footage on you tube also. Nothing like being at a contest though. Never leaves ya.
another NYer

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2008

Fun wrote:
I sure do I was in the Cadets. We also practiced at post# 229. I can name a few of the old guys. Do also remember the Screaming Eeagles drill team?
The Screaming Eagles -- WOW -- Do I remember them!
When I was little, the two groups that inspired me were the Mag. Yankees and the Screaming Eagles. I wanted to be in the Yankee Cadets in the worst way, and of course I passed the audition and starting marching with them in 1966.
They were an all-boy corps until 1968, then became co-ed and stayed co-ed until around 1983 when they folded (I think it was '83 anyway. I was in the Air Force by then.)
gary brody

Aliso Viejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2008

I live in Palmdale, Cal. now, but in high school I remember watching the Screaming Eagles perform and practice. One of my UFA class mates, Calvin Brown, was a Screaming eagle. They were great.
Rebecca Temple

Morrow, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

gary brody wrote:
I live in Palmdale, Cal. now, but in high school I remember watching the Screaming Eagles perform and practice. One of my UFA class mates, Calvin Brown, was a Screaming eagle. They were great.
Utica's own Screeming Eagles, I was a member in the early 60's we marched in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and in Washington for the Cherry Blossom Festival under the direction of Joe Byrd, what wonderful memories, everywhere we marched people would just follow us in the parade. Believe me we created the orginal black marching syle. Yes, I marched with Calvin Brown and his brother Raymond. Yes, I went to UFA also. I still remember one formation we would do when Joe called "Drill Team!, Drill Team!, Jive forward with the Mombo" We were baaaad!!!
Living in the wonderful ATL.
Nana

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

Oh, you guys bring back so many wonderful memories. My youngest daughter started her drum corp "career" with the Yankee Cadets when she was 12 years old - AFTER the days of Glory. This was in 1972 and she played the cymbals. BUT, she enjoyed going on Parades and completions all over NYS. This Yankee Cadets were sponsored by the Sons of Italy who ran Bingo Games to support the Corps. Then, in 1875, she left to join the Eagles from Verona who became the Class A Camps and were a great Drum Corp. Again, the traveling and we spent 8 days in Atlanta, GA for the DCI Campionships. She got to become friends with so many other teenagers from all over the States. Then, the next year, she joined the Avant Garde Drum Corps from Saratoga Springs which was an Open Class Corp. She wemt on to be a tenor horn player, and a member of the Color Guard. I don't know who loved Drum Corps more - me or her! I agree that it is a shame that ALL drum corps have vanished from NYS because of the cost, liability exposures, insurance costs, and lack of volunteers that are needed to keep a Drum Corp active. IMO, there is nothing better than Drum Corp training. where else can you learn how to fall asleep sitting up riding a bus from one State to another in the middle of the night!
Nana

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

Typo - the year she joined the Eagles was in 1975 (NOT 1875)-LOL!
Jill Burdick

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2008

and Dicky Hyde were members
whatstheattitude

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2009

Larry D--
Hey Dez... no, U turn. Loved your Ma on the colorguard bus
Long Time Utican

Auburn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2009

I can remember talking to an "old" Manificient Yankees that was a member of the team when they had won the National/NYS Campionships. He said that one of the biggest trills of his life was one night they were playing at a show in Buffalo, NY.

All the lights on the field were turned off while the Manificient Yankees took the field. Then, the Announcer said "And here are the Manificient Yankees" and then the lights were turned on and the crowd just roared. He said he still gets goose bumps every time he thinks of that night!

It is a shame that NYS no longer has any Open Class or even a Class A Drum and Bugle Corps any more, and the costs involved in sponsoring a Corps are just to essessive for any Corporation to step in and donate monies to keep one in existance.

Drum Corps are slowing fading away and all us old timers have left are our happy memories of when he were involved in them in days gone by.
Former Cadet

Hyattsville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

I was in the Yankee Cadets in 1971 and 1972. My brothers were long time members of the Royaleers and Magnificent Yankees. I can remember a neighbor, who was with the Royaleers at the time, in 1971 calling me a traitor, for joining the Yankee Cadets along with my older brother joining the "big corps". It was fun. There were a lot of good memories. To this day, I can still remember watching my brothers in "the big corps" do battle against the Purple Lancers, get beat by, then later claim the title from the Mighty St. Joes, in Rochester in '71 and get into fights in '72 after being taunted by members of St. Joes. I can still remember the practices at Univac parking lot and watching my brothers at the GE parking lot. It is too bad there are no corps in the Utica area for kids to participate in anymore.
The 60s

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2010

I remember Dickie Hyde & Jill Burdick
John Scharmach

Dover, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2010

another NYer wrote:
I played tenor drum and snare drum in the Yankee Cadets drum and bugle corps back in the 1960's, and later for a short stint I played tenor drum for the "Big Corps" in 1969 and 1970.
It's a shame that we do not have a big name drum corps east of the Syracuse Brigadiers that we can really call our own. But I do cherish the local memories, and the parades we used to have in Utica back then make the ones they have now look pathetic!
Anybody want to comment as a past member of the above mentioned corps, or want to just reminisce? Anyone remember just hearing the Yankees practice at night during the summer months at the G-E (now ConMed) parking lot? Or perhaps the Yankee Cadets practicing at the Proctor Park across from Cafe' CaNole?
Great memories! I marched with the Royaleers from 66 until I joined the AF in 71. The parades and competitions hold special meaning for me, but even the practices were fun. I lived near GE and used to enjoy listening the the Yankees (even though they were our nemisis). I still enjoy Drum Corps as a fan at alumni shows and even harbor ideas of building the 'chops' to join one of them. Utica was once the center for many great organizations such as the Yankess, Royaleers, Screaming Eagles, and the Executives. I miss the old times.

John
the village

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2010

John Scharmach wrote:
<quoted text>
Great memories! I marched with the Royaleers from 66 until I joined the AF in 71. The parades and competitions hold special meaning for me, but even the practices were fun. I lived near GE and used to enjoy listening the the Yankees (even though they were our nemisis). I still enjoy Drum Corps as a fan at alumni shows and even harbor ideas of building the 'chops' to join one of them. Utica was once the center for many great organizations such as the Yankess, Royaleers, Screaming Eagles, and the Executives. I miss the olyears plus,
John
bingofly62@yahoo.com april
Naomi Harris-Ambridge

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Becky, I remember! I often tell my granddaughter about the Screaming Eagles. I was on the internet searching to see if there were any photographs I could download for her. I remember the Cherry Blossom Festival. I remember the State Competition in Albany when there was another drill team making fun of us. Joe took us off the bus and had us do our "Big Daddy" routine where we did all these formations for aobut 5 minutes without a command and the other drill team got back on the bus and went home! It's so good to know someone else remembers. That was a wonderful time.
Rebecca Temple wrote:
<quoted text>
Utica's own Screeming Eagles, I was a member in the early 60's we marched in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and in Washington for the Cherry Blossom Festival under the direction of Joe Byrd, what wonderful memories, everywhere we marched people would just follow us in the parade. Believe me we created the orginal black marching syle. Yes, I marched with Calvin Brown and his brother Raymond. Yes, I went to UFA also. I still remember one formation we would do when Joe called "Drill Team!, Drill Team!, Jive forward with the Mombo" We were baaaad!!!
Living in the wonderful ATL.
Dog Lovers

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

My cousin (John F. DiMeo) was a member)One of the BEST drummers they ever had! I love watching these talented folks perform. I also dated a gal (my first love)from N.H. High and she was a clarinet player in the late 70's.(Hi Lisa)!!! I went to many of her competitions and really loved it. I have missed Drums Along the Mohawk as I am out of state a lot but when home, never miss them.
Very exciting. My son is a drummer, and he could NOT keep still! LOL! It was fun to watch him, watch the competition! LOL!!!
Ah, memories sweet memories. I too, wish we could turn the clock back.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

184 Users are viewing the Utica Forum right now

Search the Utica Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Cuomo Nano to nowhere switchup- Brindisi SEMATE... 6 min Attyn goat people 1
Bruce Karam 12 min Barfly 1
Beer Shortage in Utica 16 min Freak Fred Matt 3
Things u miss 21 min lovinlife 30
Teachers have Cadilac Pensions? (Jan '13) 23 min Eddie 164
Irish Fest 24 min slapanut 15
If Cuomo steps down over Moreland then what for... 29 min NYC unhappiest city in US 51
WKTV's new broadcast desk 1 hr D Shipman 51
Gnatek Cancel the bus 1 hr CNY death tax N sewage 74
ConMed under siege? 2 hr KOMRAD KOUMO 9
Golfers- where do you play and why 5 hr so true 39
•••
•••
•••
•••

Utica Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••