Romano: Library in Financial trouble
Brad Bates

Utica, NY

#41 Jun 26, 2013
The entire community uses the library. Not just the children. The Town of New Hartford uses it for town meetings too. It's an asset to the community. Nearly every town in the country has its own library. It's hard to believe that Ed Wiatr and Ed Flemma now want to CLOSE the library.
Jim of County Kirpatrick

Dover, DE

#42 Jun 26, 2013
No. Trutees Ed Flemma and Ed Wiatr do not want to close the library and never said they wanted to. Again, this is about $16,000 that was given away by a library that can't afford it. So answer the question:
Last year Linda Romano told New Hartford she needed a million dollars a year or the library and as recently April this year states that:“We are in tough times now and I think that tough measures are called for."

Yet, when she pushed through the $16,000 parting gift to Hans Plembeck she could be heard agreeing that the money is not in the budget and that it is against Library policy. What gives? How can the library be in such dire straights that she will give away thousands of dollars she admits the library doesn't have? Is that responsible? Is this the kind of person we should entrust hundreds of thousands of taxpayer money to?

A Utica OD article dated April 17th of this year includes an interesting quote. The quote is the last sentence of the article and appears to relate to the financial situation and fundraising activities for the Library:

“We are in tough times now and I think that tough measures are called for,” Romano said.

Read more: http://www.uticaod.com/news/x848272291/Disagr ...
http://www.uticaod.com/news/x848272291/Disagr ...
Brad Bates wrote:
The entire community uses the library. Not just the children. The Town of New Hartford uses it for town meetings too. It's an asset to the community. Nearly every town in the country has its own library. It's hard to believe that Ed Wiatr and Ed Flemma now want to CLOSE the library.
Tired of it

New York, NY

#43 Jun 26, 2013
Brad Bates wrote:
Curious. Where has Ed Wiatr or Ed Flemma said they wanted to close the library. I am not one of the insiders but have not seen that information posted anywhere.

Why does the library hold their meetings at a different location?

Also, this is a good read:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/16/can-...

The report states "these days, the library's very existence is a question mark, and they face some of the steepest budget cuts in history. According to a Harris/Reader's Digest Poll from late 2010, nearly 40 percent of American mayors plan to reduce hours, shed employees or make other cutbacks in the coming months, while many county libraries have already eliminated branches entirely."

If not completely cut and assets distributed to other libraries, then Library spending needs to be reduced or at the very least held constant. We can not increase Library spending to $1M. Other cities and towns are experiencing the same issues as we are and are reducing library funding, not increasing it.
Dennis

Cambridge, MA

#44 Jun 26, 2013
Linda Romano and her fellow Trustees have put the library at financial risk not Flemma and Wiatr. They voted against giving away$16,000 of badly needed funding.
The library needs that money to buy books, maintain the builiding and pay its employees. Flemma and Wiatr are trying to keep the library viable.
Pablo Pachucki

United States

#45 Jun 26, 2013
Ed Wiatr and Ed Flemma will get to the bottom of the mess in short order. I would imagine that Ed Wiatr is already preparing to file a lawsuit to stop the payments.
Why is this

Little Falls, NY

#46 Jun 26, 2013
Pablo Pachucki wrote:
Ed Wiatr and Ed Flemma will get to the bottom of the mess in short order. I would imagine that Ed Wiatr is already preparing to file a lawsuit to stop the payments.
He's also preparing a nice landscaping plan for when he bulldozes the place down for more open green area. Like he'd do to the whole town if he was allowed.
Tired of it

New York, NY

#47 Jun 26, 2013
It appears the people who support the library on Topix can only point fingers at people who are actually trying to reign in spending and improve processes and controls for the Library. Library supporters also seem to offer no suggestions or explanations as to why some questionable things have been done in the past and only seem to point fingers at others (e.g. Wiatr, Bolton and Flemma).

Kids can't you work things out like you did on the playground years ago. There should be a middle ground where everyone can be happy (including the town and taxpayers). Otherwise as I have stated in previous posts (which I have been giving the hard line to try to wake people up) their is a risk that the New Hartford Public Library, which I agree is an asset to the community, will be lost...
optimus

Cambridge, MA

#48 Jun 26, 2013
All I can say is thank you Mr Flemma and Mr Wiatr for fighting to protect our library! We need more residents like them on the library board who will protect it financially. I read Mr Bolton's letter in the OD. Perhaps he can be persuaded to join the library trustees also.
Thanks for nothing

Hamden, CT

#49 Jun 26, 2013
Yes thanks to Ed and his merry gang at CC that have been posting on here like its there job. In an effort to bring awareness to this very important issue. Millions of people are on the edge of there seat following this back and forth. Hahaha.

By coming on here and going on and on about it to include writing your own posts of praise and adoration is sickening. The majority of people on here usually border on the lunatic fringe anyway, but I can see why you folk would relate.

Good luck with your smear campaign against the current board. Hope your proud of yourself for attempting to dismantle another town of New Hartford landmark. 911 worked out so wonderfully. What's next? Shitcan the NHPD and NHFD? Solve our own crimes and put out our own fires? Hell lets shut down the Dpw. If the roads are simple dirt again you can lead the homeowners to maintain them themselves. It will be revolutionary. They will write books about your carefree and whimsical style of taking apart a town brick by Brick one organization at a time.

Bravo sir. Bravo.
I will start looking at real estate in Westmoreland now.
Lerfer and Calumet

Dover, DE

#50 Jun 26, 2013
Still haven't answered the question. This not about personaliies. Its about a Library Board of Trustees voting to give $16,000 in library money to an x-employee when the library, according to its president Linda Romano, is in a dire financial situation.

Given all that, it seems that the two trustees that voted against giving the money away did so trying to protect the library and ensure it is funded as needed.

If you have facts that can show that giving $16,000 in funding away puts books on the shelves or keeps the library open then state so.
A few comments

New Hartford, NY

#51 Jun 26, 2013
The majority of the non profit organizations in the local rea are struggling to control expenses and find income. Our schools are facing cuts in state aid, the zoo faced a cut in help from Utica and so on. Each Board is trusted to streamline their expenses and increase revenue. The New Hartford library is an asset to the community as a library as well as a meeting place. The facility is beautiful. The community has in trusted the Town board to elect the library trustees. The library trustees do not have to have approval from the Town for every dollar spent, however, the library trustees and library director are expected to stay within the budget that they themselves approve every year. In the event they are going over budget, then they need to figure out how to cover the overage. It is their fiduciary responsibility! I don't care if they gifted the $16000 obviously the majority of the trustees felt they could or needed to do so. However, these same trustees should be held accountable if they have to come back to the Town asking for more money.

Whoever Keeps attacking Linda Romano - grow up, she wasn't the only one in favor of this "gift". Actually as the Pres. She shouldn't even be voting unless there is a tie.

Whoever keeps attacking Ed Wiatr and the other two gentlemen - you need to grow up as well. Ed Wiatr and Ed Flemma voted against spending $ they feel the library does not have to spend. Ok, so you may not like how Ed Wiatr presents himself, so what, not everything he has to say is wrong.

I have never heard anything from any trustee that they want o close the library - those posting those statements - unless you have heard a trustee specifically state that to you, stop posting rumors!

I am tired of all the smearing on both sides. Working on a Board is work and thankless. Get along and stop tattling on every little thing. GROW UP!
Lerfer and Calumet

Dover, DE

#52 Jun 26, 2013
You make some very good points. Thank you for trying to be reasonable. You are correct that the Library trustees do not need to seek Town Board for every expenditure and that they do have leeway on how the money is expended. However, the circumstances here are so unique they warrant an independent look.

- The money will not be used for the library

- Using this money this way violates Library HR policy

- Sets a precedent that could cost the library even more in the future when other employees demand the same package.

-The money is not in the budget and the library is in a tight financial situation

All of these points were acknowledged by the trustees themselves. As for Linda Romano, as the library president, she drives the agenda and bears the lion's share of responsibility of pushing this through. Watch the video of the meeting and see for yourself.
We taxpayers have every right to expect that OUR money be used wisely and for its intended purpose. The bottom line is that Linda Romano and her fellow trustees owe us an explanation on why they did this and the question is not going away.
Solomon Turgeon

United States

#53 Jun 26, 2013
Lerfer and Calumet sounds like Ed Wiatr. You have just one agenda, Ed, which is to personally attack Linda Romano. Your concern for the library is purely manufactured. The residents of New Hartford are not concerned about $3,000 a year for 5 years. Trustees work to build organizations, not tear them apart.
optimus

Reading, MA

#54 Jun 26, 2013
Still not answering the question. Its not about personalities, its about a library spending $16,000 of unbudgeted money on something unrelated to running a library when the library is in dire financial straits. Answer the question.
Solomon Turgeon wrote:
Lerfer and Calumet sounds like Ed Wiatr. You have just one agenda, Ed, which is to personally attack Linda Romano. Your concern for the library is purely manufactured. The residents of New Hartford are not concerned about $3,000 a year for 5 years. Trustees work to build organizations, not tear them apart.
Solomon Turgeon

United States

#55 Jun 26, 2013
The question was answered when the board voted. Sorry, but that's the democratic way. Don't be a sore loser. I suggest it's time for you to move on.
Thanks jimmy

Little Falls, NY

#56 Jun 26, 2013
Solomon Turgeon wrote:
The question was answered when the board voted. Sorry, but that's the democratic way. Don't be a sore loser. I suggest it's time for you to move on.
He can't move on. Hahaha
He hasn't gotten rid of the rest of the trustees he dislikes and has not installed himself supreme ruler of the NH library yet. Only then he can dismantle it brick by brick. Burn all the books and tell everyone to head down to that tiolet library in Utica to use. All to save a nickel. Then and only them will he move on. Then it will be on to other bastions of a once proud town. Maybe he can get butler hall torn down? Hmmmm. Take over the town board as supervisor and dissolve the town into the county of onieda. Big unresponsive out of control metro Goverment that will eat more tax dollars than anything you've ever seen. He will bask in the glory of taking everything apart. In the long run we will lose our fine towns identity and qaulity of life and pay through the nose. This is his modis operandi from the very beginning. He is on the record eluding to such things. Do some Internet searches.
Taxpayer

Ithaca, NY

#57 Jun 26, 2013
English Rider wrote:
Unbeleivable. Isn't CPA Heather Mowhat a trustee? How can a CPA vote in fvor of this when the library is broke?$16,000 would have bought quite a lot of books.
Heather Mowat is an estblishment hack who goes along with anything.
Taxpayer

Ithaca, NY

#58 Jun 26, 2013
Tired of it wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not Ed or one of the other "insiders". I am just a disgruntled taxpayer tired of all of the bull. Really folks, it is only a Library and we have many others in the area. Is $400K (or $1M since it appears $400K is not enough) of NH taxpayer monies worth saving someone a 10 minute drive for the small percentage of NH residents who visit the library?
Why is the choice taxpayer money or close the library? Why not raise all of the money privately? New Hartford is a wealthy area; the board members are wealthy people. Fund raise!
Thomas Stanczyk

Utica, NY

#59 Jun 26, 2013
The three bullies are attacking again. Ed Wiatr, Ed Flemma and Joe Bolton are now attacking Heather Mowhat. First Linda Romano, then Connie Stevens, now Heather Mowhat. I see a pattern. If you are a woman and you vote against us, we will attack you. Gentlemen, you should be ashamed of yourselves.
Thomas Stanczyk

Utica, NY

#60 Jun 26, 2013
Yes, New Hartford is a wealthy community. So why are Ed Wiatr and Ed Flemma arguing over a health care benefit of $3,000 a year for 5 years. It's not the money. Ed Wiatr and Ed Flemma just want to destroy a fine institution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jason POWLES today. 7 min Tanya 5
Welfare mutts making babies 1 hr Gotta look good 4
Open Forum on RCIL [Resource Center for Indepen... (Jan '12) 2 hr Peter Piper Down 13
another SLIVERBUCK SHOOTS 12YO KID THEN HEADS T... 2 hr ardith 3
Mexico and Canada Agree to Renegotiate NAFTA Wi... 2 hr ardith 2
sheanimal ASSAULTS 4 YO CHILD IN CINCINNATI ONLY 4 3 hr SEEMANN JIM 3
ERICA HARVILLA from Carmella's 3 hr Gina 2
Which is worse? Life in Utica OR Hot Fire Poker... 3 hr Upstate Toilet Town 12
tenney 3 hr SEEMANN PUNK JIM 60
Kaitlyn Conley (Jun '16) 3 hr SEEMANN PUNK JIM 167
Sociopathic Narcisstic Abuse Rules 4 hr SEEMANN PUNK JIM 27
New Hartford Police-Inserra LAWSUIT & A.G. TIME! 5 hr Upstate Toilet Town 15

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance