Does anyone remember South Utica befo...

Does anyone remember South Utica before they rebuilt all the stores

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
EastsideBoy

United States

#1 Apr 5, 2011
I miss the submarine shop that use to be next to Emdams Pharmacy. They had the best pizza sub!
milts

Middleville, NY

#2 Apr 5, 2011
Had the best mixed sub ever! I so miss that dirty place
Cant remember

Dallas, TX

#3 Apr 5, 2011
What was the name? I remember emdens then a laundromat
jeans beans

Camillus, NY

#4 Apr 5, 2011
Mello's or probably Milt's, but I don't recall a sub shop next to Emdin's. I think that sub place was where the "Subway" now. It faced the bank drive through window. I remember "Sonne's" jewelers
next to Emdin's, and the eye glass store might have been there as well. The "King Cole" laundry mat occupied a big space. Quite a fire there in the 70's, but they rebuilt. "Hemstrought's" and the post office was also on the other side of "Emdin's" on Genesee Street.
Cant remember

Dallas, TX

#5 Apr 6, 2011
I don't recall a sub shop either. I remember they had a subway shop next to the post office.
old school

Baldwinsville, NY

#6 Apr 6, 2011
Milts was on the genesee st side next to Hemstroughts on the other side was emdins dick sonnes king cole laundromat. The part where subway is now was a hairdresser heidelburg bakery and an insurance co.
Hold The Mayo

New York, NY

#7 Apr 6, 2011
There was a sub shop in that location long before Subways were in existence.
adklakes

Herkimer, NY

#8 Apr 6, 2011
Iremember the Grand Union Shopping Center, especially that big domed market with a "live lobster" tank...it freaked me out as a kid, the restaurant at the end near Auburn was "Wittigs'" later "Benoits", Foedish, McHarris,Daws Drug,Elite Beauty, The S&H Green stamp redemtion center,..I also remember King Cole Ice Cream where the Credit Union is across the street, DanDee Donuts, Sonnes, Emdins',Hemstroughts'(King Cole Center)Uptown Liquor, Shoppers City, White Tower, Chester Sitrin Furniture, Guys and Dolls Pool Hall, across from the Uptown, Cole's Paint, "Grandaddy's" at the end of the Grand Union Center was later,..when the gas station where Tallmans is, had a "lighthouse" (I think it was Mecurio's..Arby's was a "Carrols hamburgers", Fast Trac was a Shell Station, next to the Uptown where Green Onion Bar is, was a branch of Utica Floral, The round bank was Homestead Savings, Brennan Brake,...ok, now my brain hurts!!!
Coop

Rome, NY

#9 Apr 6, 2011
One of the greatest places in Utica was the King Cole ice cream parlor in the 50's. Sitting on the fence, flirting with the girls, listening to the "new" rock and roll as the cars drove round and round. It was the best of times.
Hold The Mayo

New York, NY

#10 Apr 6, 2011
Also Jim's Food Market(The Auburn) and A&J Hobby Shop (tobacco shop?) on Auburn Ave. National Auto corner of Auburn and Genny. C Weaver Chevrolet before Carrols, Mel A Gooch Cadillac where Rite Aid is now, Mutual Distributors where Auto Zone is presently. Travel Lodge at McDonalds.
Cant remember

Dallas, TX

#11 Apr 6, 2011
Wow...brings back some memories for sure!
adklakes

Herkimer, NY

#12 Apr 6, 2011
wasn't Loblaws' Grocery store where Auto Zone is, before Mutual Distributors..hey great remembering National Auto, forgot about C Weaver being there, wow..I do remember the Genesee St bus would empty out at Uptown Utica on its route South.
Hold The Mayo

New York, NY

#13 Apr 6, 2011
adklakes wrote:
wasn't Loblaws' Grocery store where Auto Zone is, before Mutual Distributors..hey great remembering National Auto, forgot about C Weaver being there, wow..I do remember the Genesee St bus would empty out at Uptown Utica on its route South.
I think you're right about Loblaws now that you mention it. Must have lost those brains cells in the late 60's. Also Shoppers City next to White Tower.
Cadillac Place

Durhamville, NY

#14 Apr 6, 2011
Where Rite Aid is, next to Tallman's. was a Cadillac dealership. Who ran that ?
Hold The Mayo

New York, NY

#15 Apr 6, 2011
Cadillac Place wrote:
Where Rite Aid is, next to Tallman's. was a Cadillac dealership. Who ran that ?
Post #10. Brian Barr took over after.
Great memories

United States

#16 Apr 6, 2011
Don't forget Tasty cream. That place was so nice way back in the day. They had the picnic benches out front were you could sit out and enjoy you ice cream or whatever, and a mini golf course in the back. The owner was there everyday he was such a nice man he would give me a free ice cream all the time. What happen things were so much better back then I also remember dan dee donuts was right next store and everyday for two years my father would go out with me on my paper rout afterwards we would stop at dan dee donuts for hot chocolate and a bagel
jeans beans

New Hartford, NY

#17 Apr 6, 2011
Mel Gooch was the Cadillac dealership before Brian Bar took over.

Loblaws became an A&P grocery store in the mid 60's.

That whole area had a lot of class back then, and lots of fond memories indeed!!:)
hey

New Hartford, NY

#18 Apr 6, 2011
And "Cadillac Jack" was the manager!
guttbucket

Hartford, CT

#19 Apr 6, 2011
Yes!! MIlts subs shop. they had great subs! The lady that owned it had to close, she had a major gambling problem.
guttbucket

Hartford, CT

#20 Apr 6, 2011
anyone remember Grandaddy's, it was down from grand union.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Georgios food truck 11 min Gloriousdd 50
Trumpsters the new Nazies 12 min RandomFrankfortPe... 18
Real Life Midget Elf Next to Bites Bakery 17 min Vagalikabbcatucci 5
Premier Aviation to Close 28 min Sin City Lives 40
Mark FLAGG;DOES HE WORK? 31 min Vagatuccilikabbca... 15
Top 10 Welfare collectors who CAN WORK in UTICA? 33 min Vagatuccilikabbca... 8
So glad for Trump's tax cut! 33 min Second time 13
Saranac Thursday- FAILURE!!! 41 min Vagatuccilikabbca... 34
Utica Area Restaurant Review 6 hr Robert 30
UPD awards ceremony 9 hr Tom 29