Racism Has and Will Always Exist

Racism Has and Will Always Exist

Posted in the Utica Forum

New York Mills, NY

#1 Aug 27, 2013
Every day the media seeks to portray an image of an ever expanding racial divide in America today. The fact of the matter is that racism has and will always exist. Does bringing enhanced media awareness to the issue help it or fuel further tensions?

IMO, the media is making things worse. I'm white and have conservative values and I'm sorry that I don't agree with the liberal viewpoint. However, I have no problem getting along or working with individuals of differing race who act respectable. Where I differ is issues of procreation and dating. I don't think that makes me a racist or a hater.

Level 1

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#3 Aug 27, 2013
Having your own views is not racism if you do not base your views on someone's race alone or primarily. If you don't do that, that's great.

I'd go a little farther and say having different political views is well and good as well, but one should look honestly and critically at his or her own political party as neither major party has a corner on good ideas, honesty or actual representation. I'd also add that a politician is required to represent all of his constituents, not just those in his party.

Now to your question of whether the media helps or not ... it helps and it doesn't help.

Education is what will ultimately significantly decrease racism, and it may even eliminate it. Knowledge is critical to education (that should be obvious).

When the media reports on racism, the manner in which it reports it is what determines if it helps or not. If one station reports that a black man was beaten to death by 6 white men, it may focus on the history of the area, the backgrounds of the people involved, the events leading up to the attack, that is positive reporting. It makes people think about why it happened. That could ultimately lead to actions to prevent future incidents through education.

If another station reports the same incident, but focuses on the criminal background of either the black man only or the six white men only, if it sensationalizes the incident, if it uses terms like "brutal" "criminal" "heinous", it is inflaming the issue and doing a great disservice. Such reporting only reinforces the biases and prejudices of its viewers.

So, it helps and it doesn't. It all depends on how its reported.

The sad part is that media outlets are owned by big corporations that are owned by individuals, and those individuals use their position to tint the way the news is presented to their particular view, biases and prejudices included.

Level 1

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#4 Aug 27, 2013
The six corporations that collectively control U.S. media today are Time Warner, Walt Disney, Viacom, Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., CBS Corporation and NBC Universal. Together, the "big six" absolutely dominate news and entertainment in the United States. But even those areas of the media that the "big six" do not completely control are becoming increasingly concentrated. For example, Clear Channel now owns over 1000 radio stations across the United States. Companies like Google, Yahoo and Microsoft are increasingly dominating the Internet.

But it is the "big six" that are the biggest concerns. When you control what Americans watch, hear and read you gain a great deal of control over what they think. They don't call it "programming" for nothing.

Ithaca, NY

#6 Aug 27, 2013
Cure Racism

OAK__----0----< tray

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Uranium Sale by State Department 6 min Say What 12
$12 million the Clinton Foundation received fro... 6 min Retired FBI Agent 10
Black People Are the Most Hated People in the USA (Mar '16) 35 min TRUMP aint no chump 24
NYM plumber off his nut! 1 hr joyce 7
Trump -- "Such a nasty woman" 1 hr Mr Bill 15
Democrat Party of Slave Owners 1 hr Hidden Agenda 36
Clinton Staffers Bash Catholics 1 hr Catholic League R... 51
who is the best hairstylist 1 hr Boss 14
WKTV Covering Calling Hours? 6 hr seenitall 6
Lisa Beckwith 11 hr Judy 8
Who Is The Hot Girl At Utica Bread?? 18 hr Mrmacgreggor 55
Italians are so disrespectful to each other. 22 hr Utica Bred 28

Utica Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance