Comments
161 - 180 of 190 Comments Last updated Jan 21, 2013
Truth

Utica, NY

#167 Jan 16, 2013
hotdogjoe wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt there's a little smear going on but you don't really say if you think she rightfully held/holds either job. She can't be in both parties.
I think she has the job she has now rightfully. I think she finished the other job she rightfully held on the day she was supposed to and should be paid for that. I don't hear even her harshest critics saying she didn't do that job the right way after filing to become a Democrat.

She expressed her intent to change to Democrat and the only thing keeping that from being official is beauracracy. The papers are signed, sealed, delivered and filed. That should be the end of it.

In order to stay under the 2% tax cap among other things, Oneida County borrowed $10.5 million so they could make the mandated contribution to the pension system. That borrowing will cost the taxpayers of Oneida County about $50,000 in interest long term. With no new revenue streams in sight it is likely that the same bookeeping trick will have to be employed next year. It's the equivilent of you or I making a mortgage payment we can't afford using our credit card. It will eventually catch up and be a disaster.

You tell me. Should the Oneida County Executive, the Oneida County Legislature and the Oneida County attorney, all paid by the taxpayers, be addressing the budget problem full time or should they be continuing this soap opera side show over whether Pam Mandryck is a Republican of Democrat?

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#168 Jan 16, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I think she has the job she has now rightfully. I think she finished the other job she rightfully held on the day she was supposed to and should be paid for that. I don't hear even her harshest critics saying she didn't do that job the right way after filing to become a Democrat.
She expressed her intent to change to Democrat and the only thing keeping that from being official is beauracracy. The papers are signed, sealed, delivered and filed. That should be the end of it.
In order to stay under the 2% tax cap among other things, Oneida County borrowed $10.5 million so they could make the mandated contribution to the pension system. That borrowing will cost the taxpayers of Oneida County about $50,000 in interest long term. With no new revenue streams in sight it is likely that the same bookeeping trick will have to be employed next year. It's the equivilent of you or I making a mortgage payment we can't afford using our credit card. It will eventually catch up and be a disaster.
You tell me. Should the Oneida County Executive, the Oneida County Legislature and the Oneida County attorney, all paid by the taxpayers, be addressing the budget problem full time or should they be continuing this soap opera side show over whether Pam Mandryck is a Republican of Democrat?
They should stop harassing Pam and find some actual important work to do.
Rumor Mill

Everett, MA

#169 Jan 17, 2013
Word has it Big Tony has way more to worry about than little old Pammy. Perhaps he needs to spend his time monitoring his legislators. Bahaha
history

Utica, NY

#170 Jan 17, 2013
Rumor Mill wrote:
Word has it Big Tony has way more to worry about than little old Pammy. Perhaps he needs to spend his time monitoring his legislators. Bahaha
Dems just don't study history. Picente will be there as long as he wishes. The OC CE office belongs to GOP. There will never be a DEM candidate nominated for office who has a chance to win.
Larry

Clinton, NY

#171 Jan 17, 2013
I will take changing the rules of the board before her appointment is legal.
Truth

Utica, NY

#172 Jan 18, 2013
Larry wrote:
I will take changing the rules of the board before her appointment is legal.
She was appointed BOE commish.
She was hired to be minority analyst.
Does that make a difference?

She's signaled her intent to become Democrat and filed all of the necessary paperwork. Doesn't that count for anything? In other words, she's done her part and it is only the process that is keeping the change from becoming official. I'm thinking of this the way I think of government workers who are hired and then given a period of time to take and pass a Civil Service test. Doesn't that happen sometimes?
County Circus

Woburn, MA

#173 Jan 18, 2013
It is a great show......Karma for allowing Rome's Fusco DDSO voting fraud to go unimpeded.......
More to come!

Level 7

Since: Jan 08

Rome

#174 Jan 18, 2013
Truth wrote:
Why isn't anyone addressing a pension system that is putting all governing bodies in financial peril?

The pension system guarantees an income to current and future public service retirees. If the pension fund doesn't earn enough money from contributions and investments in a given year to ensure that guarantee, the taxpayers are forced to make up the difference. Many governments turn to borrowing to make those payments.

The best legislature that money can buy continuously avoids reforming the system or solving this problem.
Truth

Utica, NY

#175 Jan 18, 2013
frankcor wrote:
<quoted text>Why isn't anyone addressing a pension system that is putting all governing bodies in financial peril?
The pension system guarantees an income to current and future public service retirees. If the pension fund doesn't earn enough money from contributions and investments in a given year to ensure that guarantee, the taxpayers are forced to make up the difference. Many governments turn to borrowing to make those payments.
The best legislature that money can buy continuously avoids reforming the system or solving this problem.
Couldn't agree more.
Drop this Mandryck nonsense and get on with the business of fixing Oneida County's real problems.

On that subject, given the $64 billion state debt does anyone realistically see the state helping the county with mandate relief?
amazing

Utica, NY

#176 Jan 18, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
She was appointed BOE commish.
She was hired to be minority analyst.
Does that make a difference?
She's signaled her intent to become Democrat and filed all of the necessary paperwork. Doesn't that count for anything? In other words, she's done her part and it is only the process that is keeping the change from becoming official. I'm thinking of this the way I think of government workers who are hired and then given a period of time to take and pass a Civil Service test. Doesn't that happen sometimes?
The real puzzler here is why someone who spent years in the position of election commissioner didn't know when her change of affiliation would be effective. Or, when she had to file the change in order for it to be effective in time for her to take a job where she needed to be in a different party. Election law is pretty clear on this point but she thought the change would take affect at the end of the year???
Truth

Utica, NY

#177 Jan 18, 2013
amazing wrote:
<quoted text>
The real puzzler here is why someone who spent years in the position of election commissioner didn't know when her change of affiliation would be effective. Or, when she had to file the change in order for it to be effective in time for her to take a job where she needed to be in a different party. Election law is pretty clear on this point but she thought the change would take affect at the end of the year???
How do you know she didn't know the rules? Her only responsibility was to file the paperwork. Seems to me that if she knew the rules or not, that act signaled her intent.

There also seems to be a difference of opinion in what the rules are. First they didn't want to pay her after she filed the change because they claimed she was a Democrat serving in a position where being a Republican was the prerequisite. When that didn't work the most recent claim was that she is still a Republican serving in a job that would require her to be a Democrat.

See it for the politically motivated personal attack that I think it is. Do you ever remember anyone being attacked this way over what is in fact just the wheels of beauacracy turning slowly.

She is not a Republican. She has done all of the things she needed to do in order to become part of the Demoratic Party but apparently isn't officially a Democrat yet. Time to move on to more important things and to stop wasting Oneida County taxpayer money on this.
Whodunit

Utica, NY

#178 Jan 18, 2013
history wrote:
<quoted text>Dems just don't study history. Picente will be there as long as he wishes. The OC CE office belongs to GOP. There will never be a DEM candidate nominated for office who has a chance to win
Maybe YOU should study history. William Bryant was County Exec in the 70s and he was a Democrat. Beat a Republican incumbent.
history

Utica, NY

#179 Jan 18, 2013
Whodunit wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe YOU should study history. William Bryant was County Exec in the 70s and he was a Democrat. Beat a Republican incumbent.
He was the only DEM CE in OC history. I stand by my statement. Do you remember how Bryant went out of office:)
history

Utica, NY

#180 Jan 18, 2013
Truth wrote:
When will they give up this effort to discredit Mandryck?
They are throwing everything against the wall just to see what sticks. So far nothing has.
Unfortunately for Mandryck there are a lot of people who get their opinions from headlines and what they heard at the
bar/barber/hairdresser/grocery store/Uncle Joe who knows the guy who cleans the county office building..... rather than doing a little reading in order to have an informed opinion based on the facts. Same people posting on the current Notre Dame thread.
This is more of the same witch hunt that's been going on for over a year.
Looks like she's discrediting herself.
Truth Be Known

Wellesley, MA

#181 Jan 18, 2013
The poster "Truth" is part of the problem, not the solution. Since when is "signaling your intention" good enough. Try telling the IRS you intended to do your taxes or your employer that because you set your alarm you intended to get to work on time. The law says she had to be a bonafide registered member of the Democratic Party in order to be appointed. She is not that and won't be for some time. Wishful thinking is not going to cut it here.
Dame

Utica, NY

#182 Jan 18, 2013
Not to mention not as well qualified as other candidates. Cheap ploy to piss off AP.
history

Utica, NY

#183 Jan 18, 2013
Who is ron kassady?
Truth

Utica, NY

#184 Jan 19, 2013
Truth Be Known wrote:
The poster "Truth" is part of the problem, not the solution. Since when is "signaling your intention" good enough. Try telling the IRS you intended to do your taxes or your employer that because you set your alarm you intended to get to work on time. The law says she had to be a bonafide registered member of the Democratic Party in order to be appointed. She is not that and won't be for some time. Wishful thinking is not going to cut it here.
I'm not wishing anything. I'm saying that I think this is a personal attack that is costing the taxpayers of Oneida County money and resources at a time when we can least afford it.

Signalling her intention is the only part of the process that she has any control over. By signalling her intent I mean she did all she could by filing the appropriate paperwork by whatever the appropriate deadline. It is beauracracy that is what is keeping the change from being official and it is this that makes it different than your IRS example. Although, with the IRS you can file for an extension signalling to the IRS your intent to pay but just not by April 15.

What law has been violated? It is not a law. It is a rule of the Board of Legislators. There is a huge difference in that way too.

I know a number of people hired in the public sector who hadn't taken and passed the prerequiste civil service test begore they started the job and were given an amount of time to meet that goal. I think it happens a lot with teachers too. Graduates are hired without the prerequiste teaching credentials and then given time to acheive that. People are hired because they meet the qualifications and experience required for doing the job.

I think this entire affair was, and continues to be, an attack on Mandryck orchestrated by the county executive and his minions in county governemnt. That is the point here. It has been one allegation after another in an effort to discredit her and make it seem she is dishonest or incompetent. I look to the eventual results for my opinion.
1) The CE's office by way of George Joseph called for an audit of the BOE that cost taxpayers $5000. Ther results showed some anomolies but nothing that rises to incompetence, dishonesty or anything the State BOE could or would use to remove eiother commisioner.
2) When the story came out about Mandryck being hired for the Dem analyst job, they didn't want to pay her because she was Democrat. Or, at least she had signalled her intent to become one by filing the paper work. They even mentioned that they'd referred it to the DA for possible criminal charges.
3)When #2 didn't work they put out a story about how the rules (not the law) say that she must be a Democrat to take the analyst position.
4) All of the vitriol regarding the BOE seems aimed at Mandryck and not at both commisioners who were equally resposible for that operation.

If I was Mandryck I would be talking to an attorney about defamation and libel. If it could be proved that anyone behind these attacks knowingly put out false information in an effort to discredit Mandryck I would think she has a case.
Truth

Utica, NY

#185 Jan 19, 2013
If Mandryck has a case, who is it that you think will end up paying not only for any judgement but for what ever it costs to defend against the charges?

Answer: The taxpayers of Oneida County.

The fact that I have to contribute my tax dollars to this is what chaps me. It should chap all Oneida County taxpaters.
Untruth

Utica, NY

#186 Jan 19, 2013
She will be talking to a great many attorneys allright. Most of them will be prosecuting her for her wrongdoings in the BOE.
And, I don't see any county worker time being spent on this, unless they are the ones posting on this forum. This forum is where all of the action is happening, not at the County office bldg.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Matt Gaetano Hotel Utica Manager ARRESTED (Again) 4 min Jones 1
I am ANGRY I LIVE IN A SHT HOLE ALBANY AREA AN ... 4 min Dave 7
Nice Playing With Trashy 19 min CPU 1
Wegmans in utica (Apr '09) 29 min Very Nice 39
unshaved NEGRO THIGHS PRODUCE A YELLOW NAIL FUN... 31 min FUNGUSNAIL TOWN LIFE 1
Halfmoon probe widened after Wormuth’s arrest 33 min Trashy 6
Utica the Renaissance City (Jun '09) 34 min Mayor Palmieri 2
New Hartford becoming Utica 35 min Myles 7
utica national (Jun '13) 50 min Ex Customer 526
utica aud 1 hr 8th Wonder Of The... 136
What happened to dash cams UPD bought 5 years a... 1 hr good while they work 13
•••
Utica Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Utica Jobs