Stanley

Herkimer, NY

#21 Jul 4, 2013
I want a job where I can do as little work as possible,get a lot of time off,and make over 100K. Only problem is I don't have the $ to run for Congress
Fox news

Long Island City, NY

#23 Jul 5, 2013
Listen wrote:
<quoted text>
I commend you on a life well lived. Unfortunately, not many of today's young generation display the self pride, motivation, and responsibility you talked about. one can always better themselves through hard work and determination, but it's much easier to sit on ones ass and live a less than desired lifestyle. Good old fashion hard work is quickly becoming extinct and more and more people are looking for a free ride and it's getting worse.
All absolutely correct. EVERYONE NEEDS TO WORK. We've lost the work ethic in this country (at lease the current generation) and have turned into the welfare nanny state. It's ruining this country.

Level 7

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#24 Jul 5, 2013
Fox news wrote:
<quoted text>
All absolutely correct. EVERYONE NEEDS TO WORK. We've lost the work ethic in this country (at lease the current generation) and have turned into the welfare nanny state. It's ruining this country.
There are no jobs. Corporate America has shipped millions of what were decent paying jobs to third world countries to be performed by quasi-slave labor. They've pocketed the money which used to go to hard working Americans. Now millions are relegated to working sh.t jobs which pay no money, certainly not enough to take care of a family. That's why we have the biggest gap between rich and poor in the recorded history of the country and millions dependent upon government programs like food stamps and Medicaid.

Walk into a fast food joint. 30 years ago, the workers were all high school and college kids. Today, half, if not more, are grown men and women, reduced to flipping burgers to survive because the good jobs they used to hold are now performed by people in India and China for a $1 a day.

People haven't suddenly become lazy. Our elite overlords have systematically been working to destroy the middle class, taking their money and pocketing it for themselves. Any way you slice it, it's bad for the country.
Glen

Rome, NY

#25 Jul 5, 2013
Five little stores in Riverside Center will not lead to the salvation of Utica. It amounts to nothing more than 5 drops of water into a gallon bucket with a 2 inch hole.
Sad But True

Waldorf, MD

#26 Jul 5, 2013
Some of these establishments will not last. They never do.
Realistic

Utica, NY

#28 Jul 5, 2013
Time to be realistic about the situation. These are "service/retail" jobs that take little or no training or intelligence to perform. Which is why they will pay minimum wage or slightly better. If you think this is the beginning of salvation for this area, then you are sadly mistaken. You are punch drunk on the local and state politician propaganda and that isn't a good thing. The only thing that would save this area or the country is the return of a manufacturing base. And that won't happen until the rest of the world's cheap labor isn't so cheap anymore. Once the US can compete again in manufacturing, then you'll see the beginning of a comeback, not until.
JANINE YAQOOB

Dallas, TX

#29 Jul 5, 2013
Truth Dig wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no jobs. Corporate America has shipped millions of what were decent paying jobs to third world countriest
There a good paying jobs all over America. Foreign car manufacturers like KIA make cars in Georgia. You have to chase the jobs not just sit in your house and wait for them to come to you! Pack up your car and go.
Yep

New York, NY

#30 Jul 5, 2013
Listen wrote:
<quoted text>
I commend you on a life well lived. Unfortunately, not many of today's young generation display the self pride, motivation, and responsibility you talked about. one can always better themselves through hard work and determination, but it's much easier to sit on ones ass and live a less than desired lifestyle. Good old fashion hard work is quickly becoming extinct and more and more people are looking for a free ride and it's getting worse.
The government makes it too easy not to work. People who do not want to work should not be given everything for free. What is the incentive if one can have a car, cell phone, cable TV, shelter and food without working. Social programs need to be cut and there should be no incentives (e.g., additional money) for having more children...
bill

Clinton, NY

#31 Jul 5, 2013
All this great news is because MAYOR ROFFARO who started the north utica investment. He started it all. Knocked down the projects Golbas and Washington Courts and cleaned up the riff raff now watch downtown come back. Thank you Roffaro for your insight.
black is black

Utica, NY

#32 Jul 5, 2013
Truth Dig wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no jobs. Corporate America has shipped millions of what were decent paying jobs to third world countries to be performed by quasi-slave labor. They've pocketed the money which used to go to hard working Americans. Now millions are relegated to working sh.t jobs which pay no money, certainly not enough to take care of a family. That's why we have the biggest gap between rich and poor in the recorded history of the country and millions dependent upon government programs like food stamps and Medicaid.
Walk into a fast food joint. 30 years ago, the workers were all high school and college kids. Today, half, if not more, are grown men and women, reduced to flipping burgers to survive because the good jobs they used to hold are now performed by people in India and China for a $1 a day.
People haven't suddenly become lazy. Our elite overlords have systematically been working to destroy the middle class, taking their money and pocketing it for themselves. Any way you slice it, it's bad for the country.
Foreign labor has backfired on many of the American businesses. Whenever I get a call from a person that is noteably not able to speak the English language well enough to be understood, I simply say "Put an American on the phone" and hang up!

I know of many people that won't buy a product unless their Service Dept/Customer Service is in the USA.

More and more businesses are bringing back their Customer Service depts. to the USA because they have found out the hard way - it ended up in loss sales.
black is black

Utica, NY

#33 Jul 5, 2013
Realistic wrote:
Time to be realistic about the situation. These are "service/retail" jobs that take little or no training or intelligence to perform. Which is why they will pay minimum wage or slightly better. If you think this is the beginning of salvation for this area, then you are sadly mistaken. You are punch drunk on the local and state politician propaganda and that isn't a good thing. The only thing that would save this area or the country is the return of a manufacturing base. And that won't happen until the rest of the world's cheap labor isn't so cheap anymore. Once the US can compete again in manufacturing, then you'll see the beginning of a comeback, not until.
My advice is what I've always told my children - "The more you have to use your brain on a job, the more you will get paid". I agree with you - an employee does NOT have to use any brain power to be a sales clerk, computer operator, or work in a fast food place.
Paul

Auburn, NY

#34 Jul 5, 2013
bill wrote:
All this great news is because MAYOR ROFFARO who started the north utica investment. He started it all. Knocked down the projects Golbas and Washington Courts and cleaned up the riff raff now watch downtown come back. Thank you Roffaro for your insight.
So do you know where all the riff raff is now? They didn't just magiacally evaporate into the ozone. They moved to the formally nice neighborhoods in North Utica. Is this your idea of progress?
All Is Not Lost

Waldorf, MD

#35 Jul 5, 2013
Realistic wrote:
have u forgotten about the 'chip's plant?
UticaPride

Utica, NY

#36 Jul 6, 2013
We have had tremendous news lately in Utica. Significant developments that has not happened in years and people still discount it. Some people have no credibility,

We have had a string of announcements of viable economic development. Buildings and properties that have been vacant for years. Do you really see all the recent happenings as bad?

“I Make you wonder”

Level 7

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#37 Jul 6, 2013
Utica will be saved. The county building will be empty.... said nobody.
Latest UPD Race Bait post

United States

#38 Jul 6, 2013
Yep wrote:
<quoted text>
The government makes it too easy not to work. People who do not want to work should not be given everything for free. What is the incentive if one can have a car, cell phone, cable TV, shelter and food without working. Social programs need to be cut and there should be no incentives (e.g., additional money) for having more children...
Then there's the next notch up the welfare totem-pole "public safety" you know... layers of fat worthless mouth breathers who try to occupy everyone's day with "lawman glory glory and thanks to the hero people" types.
American

Utica, NY

#39 Jul 6, 2013
Latest UPD Race Bait post wrote:
<quoted text>Then there's the next notch up the welfare totem-pole "public safety" you know... layers of fat worthless mouth breathers who try to occupy everyone's day with "lawman glory glory and thanks to the hero people" types.
So, what's your solution?
American

Utica, NY

#40 Jul 6, 2013
APRIL1966 wrote:
5 new retailers, which means there will be about 15-20 jobs.OOOHH!!! Way to bring employment to the city.
Would you rather these 5 businesses NOT open?

Level 7

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#41 Jul 6, 2013
JANINE YAQOOB wrote:
<quoted text>There a good paying jobs all over America. Foreign car manufacturers like KIA make cars in Georgia. You have to chase the jobs not just sit in your house and wait for them to come to you! Pack up your car and go.
Right. That's why we have massive unemployment, millions who are underemployed, countless living on government assistance even thought they have jobs, and the largest gap between rich and poor in the history of the country.
CCP Is Trash

Schenectady, NY

#42 Jul 7, 2013
All Is Not Lost wrote:
<quoted text> have u forgotten about the 'chip's plant?
Most of the people who will work at this new "mega" structure will be living in Syracuse. Mark my words.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Study shows Utica - Rome are on the verge of an... 35 min Genius 1
Nano Nano Part 1 38 min Genius 26
Utica is number 1 in job growth , thanks nano 40 min Genius 3
Pedestrian Bridge Collapses 47 min UPD Racist Ape FAIL 6
Study: Utica - Rome WORST economic outlook till... 1 hr Real Genius 6
Utica in the 60's 1 hr Real Genius 49
Utica is the best place to raise a family on th... 1 hr Real Genius 8
Vitullo Obitary 3 hr Good riddence 10
frozen dome classic 3 hr Frozen Dumb Classic 46
Why is Your County Exec. Touting a Sovereign Na... 3 hr Upscale Outlet Mall 16