Utica city staffers pile on OT just b...

Utica city staffers pile on OT just before retirement

Posted in the Utica Forum

Sweet Deal

Camillus, NY

#1 Jul 27, 2010
"Take Michael Elefante, a former fire captain who retired in 2009 and now earns an annual pension payout of $72,928, higher than his final salary of $66,370.

He earned roughly $25,500 per year in overtime between 2006-2008, an amount approaching 40 percent of his base pay those years.

His pension is the highest in the city, not counting attorneys who worked in other municipalities.

There will be no apology coming from Elefante, an Army veteran of military actions in Vietnam, Panama and Operation Desert Storm in Iraq.

“I worked hard for it,” Elefante said, stressing that he followed state laws and city rules.“You’re in a hazardous position…injury is a common thing.”

He isn’t alone, documents obtained through an O-D Freedom of Information Law request revealed. For instance:

* Michael Tartaglia, a former police detective who retired in 2008, made $6,296 in overtime in 2004. Over his next three years, the ones that would count toward his pension, he made $9,012,$11,479 and $13,568, respectively.

Tartaglia declined comment for this story. His final annual pension is $34,296. Police Chief Mark Williams said Tartaglia was a member of the Oneida County Drug Task Force before he retired, which racks up a lot of overtime during investigations. The county pays for the overtime, but not its effect on an employee’s pension." Quoted from the Observer Dispatch.
tom

Herkimer, NY

#2 Jul 27, 2010
Some people did earn the money as I think Elefente did but think the other sneaks who wouldnt come up for the interview ,are hiding behind the real earners. At least mike gave an honest interviev to the paper ,as he had an explanation of his overtime but the rest of them speaks for itself. Shame on them now that their exposed by the OD. We all read their names in the paper with a sad thought about them especially the police . The police who uphold the law and should not be cast in a sour note of this sort. Imagine them locking up a poor man who steals a small item ,which is wrong but two wrongs dont make a right. This by nature doesnt pass the smell test we know it ,they know it and thats why they wouldnt answer to the interview.
Interesting

Clifton Park, NY

#3 Aug 18, 2014
Well that's interesting.
ShaQuan

Utica, NY

#4 Aug 18, 2014
Get rid of all da police overtime! If they wasn't workin at night, ontrapanoors like me could do more business.
Do Their Jobs

Clifton Park, NY

#5 Aug 18, 2014
ShaQuan wrote:
Get rid of all da police overtime! If they wasn't workin at night, ontrapanoors like me could do more business.
Or if they just simply did their jobs....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Name A Hillary Clinton Accomplishment 2 min Bugs 31
Comets schedule is out 17 min Question 4
Rachel WKTV 20 min Kelly 1
Affair outside bennu in whitesboro 20 min Show her 10
Keven gottlieb 43 min Sooverit 1
State test results 52 min Community Advocate 9
kristen drama queen copeland (Sep '14) 1 hr eric 24
Sam wessing 3 hr dee 28
Biggest RAT in ufd 3 hr Got your 6 29
Ranking Utica Prostitutes 11 hr j3333rd 235