of 5
Next Last
anon.

Worcester, MA

#84 May 14, 2013
Truth wrote:
[QUOTE who="anon.
"]<quoted text>
There was no 'free for all'. Lol. States set the curriculum requirements while school districts implement them. Perhaps you should read NCLB. LOL! "

I have. Teachers and their unions don't like it because it sets concrete goals, requires compliance and then accountibility.

When the No Child Left Behind Act was envisioned it was the creators of the bill that set the long term goals but they left the task of setting milestones to the the educators in each state. Those milestones were put in place to because teachers left to their own devices were not getting the job done. No continuity and children who didn't even know how to read were being passed through and graduated.

After a few years when educators realized that they were not achieving the goals that they themselves had set, they started to complain.
Again, it was the states who set the goals...hence, the NYS Regents exams. School districts chose the content and teachers teach the skills.
Hard worker

Utica, NY

#85 May 15, 2013
"Rubber rooms" - sites in NYC where hundreds of teachers go to sit all day, doing absolutely nothing, YET RECEIVE FULL PAY. This is what "due process" results in... situations where it's easier and cheaper to just keep paying somebody than to actually fire them for poor performance.

THIS is the tenure system.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/08/31...

The above article is an eye-opener.
Truth

Utica, NY

#86 May 15, 2013
[QUOTE who="anon.
"]<quoted text>
Again, it was the states who set the goals...hence, the NYS Regents exams. School districts chose the content and teachers teach the skills.[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree except to say that you need to be more specific when you say "the state". It was the educational establishment of "the state" that set the goals. That means that it was educators and administrators who did that. Politicians did not.
anon.

Medford, MA

#87 May 15, 2013
Truth wrote:
[QUOTE who="anon.
"]<quoted text>
Again, it was the states who set the goals...hence, the NYS Regents exams. School districts chose the content and teachers teach the skills. "

I don't disagree except to say that you need to be more specific when you say "the state". It was the educational establishment of "the state" that set the goals. That means that it was educators and administrators who did that. Politicians did not.
Actually, it's SED which rarely asks educators for any type of input. Check out the educational backgrounds of Arne Ducan and John King. Every education panel I have ever seen has no teachers invoved whatsoever.
Truth

Utica, NY

#88 May 15, 2013
[QUOTE who="anon.
"]<quoted text>
Actually, it's SED which rarely asks educators for any type of input. Check out the educational backgrounds of Arne Ducan and John King. Every education panel I have ever seen has no teachers invoved whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's true. I did look at their backgrounds. Did you before making the statement you did?

Dr King, NYS Education Commissioner is a former high school teacher and middle school principal.

Most of the NYS Board of Regents have degrees in and have been involved in public education.

Arne Duncan, US (federal) Sect of Education was the CEO of the Chicago school system.
anon.

Medford, MA

#89 May 15, 2013
Truth wrote:
[QUOTE who="anon.
"]<quoted text>
Actually, it's SED which rarely asks educators for any type of input. Check out the educational backgrounds of Arne Ducan and John King. Every education panel I have ever seen has no teachers invoved whatsoever. "

I don't think that's true. I did look at their backgrounds. Did you before making the statement you did?

Dr King, NYS Education Commissioner is a former high school teacher and middle school principal.

Most of the NYS Board of Regents have degrees in and have been involved in public education.

Arne Duncan, US (federal) Sect of Education was the CEO of the Chicago school system.
...charter school fotr King and Duncan has no teaching experience.
Truth

Utica, NY

#90 May 15, 2013
[QUOTE who="anon.
"]<quoted text>
...charter school fotr King and Duncan has no teaching experience.[/QUOTE]

So?

Charter schools are part of public education. A part that the teacher's unions wish weren't part of public education because they demand accountibility and don't include unions.

Duncan is the US Secretary of Education. Standards and milestones are set at the state level not federal right? Regardless, as CEO of the Chicago city school district I'm sure he's familiar with public education and how it works (or doesn't) and why. He didn't perform that job in a vacuum. You probably don't like him because of Race to the Top and his support of charter schools.

It's hard when an employer demands that certain milestones, targets and standards be met. Especially when every employee is certain that they have a better way. In this case it's the education of the children that should be the main focus. I think standardized cirriculums and tests are a way to objectively measure not only how well children are learning but also as a tool to assess how well teachers are teaching. It's been a while now since the No Child Left Behind act went into effect and so far the results aren't very good.
the truth likes kids

Carthage, NY

#91 May 15, 2013
dont trust the truth. This person is truly disgruntled and not so sure how he behaves around children. He is the biggest jealous bastard around. Hey truth wish you made the same money as teachers? Then get yourself an education you loser. "If he only had a brain"! Hey ask one of those teachers getting their summer check if they can by you a brain and pay for rehab for you, you fudgepacking fruit.
anon.

Medford, MA

#92 May 15, 2013
Truth wrote:
[QUOTE who="anon.
"]<quoted text>
...charter school fotr King and Duncan has no teaching experience. "

So?

Charter schools are part of public education. A part that the teacher's unions wish weren't part of public education because they demand accountibility and don't include unions.

Duncan is the US Secretary of Education. Standards and milestones are set at the state level not federal right? Regardless, as CEO of the Chicago city school district I'm sure he's familiar with public education and how it works (or doesn't) and why. He didn't perform that job in a vacuum. You probably don't like him because of Race to the Top and his support of charter schools.

It's hard when an employer demands that certain milestones, targets and standards be met. Especially when every employee is certain that they have a better way. In this case it's the education of the children that should be the main focus. I think standardized cirriculums and tests are a way to objectively measure not only how well children are learning but also as a tool to assess how well teachers are teaching. It's been a while now since the No Child Left Behind act went into effect and so far the results aren't very good.
You're changing the argument again...
Truth

Utica, NY

#93 May 15, 2013
[QUOTE who="anon.
"]<quoted text>
You're changing the argument again...[/QUOTE]

No I'm not.
You said this:
"Actually, it's SED which rarely asks educators for any type of input. Check out the educational backgrounds of Arne Ducan and John King. Every education panel I have ever seen has no teachers invoved whatsoever. "

I did what you said and then I responded.
Lady Matisse

New Hartford, NY

#94 May 15, 2013
OMG
Stop! Enough!
the truth is a clown

Carthage, NY

#95 May 15, 2013
dont feed into this morons jealousy. He rants and raves with his bias research against teachers. Most ignorant people try to disredit any profession when they read an article that favors their opinion. Most of these people have no knowledge of (in this case) education and everything it entails other than the research they choose to believe,especially when there is other research that says otherwise. This is not only done wih teachers and eduction,butalso with most public employees. I guess there are many many people who wish they workede at other professions but couldnt do what it takes to obtain the positions they actually complain about but wish they could do. Whatever the case,whatever he says deep down the truth is that that he cant do anything about his displeasures and that angers him. Maybe in hisnext life he can make something positive of himself. So truth,keep on complaining,bashing,site your bias research without siting the REAL truth. God knows you have that kind of time,just look at all of your ridiculous posts. But the facts remain the same. Teachers will keep on teaching,you will not change anything about it,and there always be ignorant,jealous idiots such as yourself who will always be jealous and complain.
teacher

Utica, NY

#96 May 15, 2013
the truth is a clown wrote:
dont feed into this morons jealousy. He rants and raves with his bias research against teachers. Most ignorant people try to disredit any profession when they read an article that favors their opinion. Most of these people have no knowledge of (in this case) education and everything it entails other than the research they choose to believe,especially when there is other research that says otherwise. This is not only done wih teachers and eduction,butalso with most public employees. I guess there are many many people who wish they workede at other professions but couldnt do what it takes to obtain the positions they actually complain about but wish they could do. Whatever the case,whatever he says deep down the truth is that that he cant do anything about his displeasures and that angers him. Maybe in hisnext life he can make something positive of himself. So truth,keep on complaining,bashing,site your bias research without siting the REAL truth. God knows you have that kind of time,just look at all of your ridiculous posts. But the facts remain the same. Teachers will keep on teaching,you will not change anything about it,and there always be ignorant,jealous idiots such as yourself who will always be jealous and complain.
Thank you...
part time job

San Jose, CA

#97 May 15, 2013
It is a part time job. For all those whiners, lets not forget about their prep periods which many losers don't use to prepare for their classes, they use it to gossip or hang out with their pals and goof off! It should be a 50 week work week and an 8 hour a day job not to include a lunch break during this period. There should be a mandatory dress code and mandatory time sheets of the comings and the goings of those idiots. Now, make mandatory administration placed back into the classrooms on a daily basis. There is NO excuse they don't teach at least one class a day. If they don't wish to teach, then revoke their licenses. Those administrators have enough time to play games, they can teach everyday. How can they justify their jobs in education when they escape into administration so they don't have to teach.

There should also be mandatory weekly unannounced observations and evaluations and weekly drug and alcohol testing. There is no excuse. As for those salaries, they should be slashed. There is no excuse for a job to pay $60K more than a new teacher. Bull! I don't care if they whine that they have degrees and more, they KNEW they had to have those degrees. Also, it should be the end of permanent, provisional and temporary licenses, should go by yearly renewable contracts and new assignments in a different building where possible every year. It is time to end new teachers taking a job without a masters degree, end those bachelor degree jobs. Force the school board members into the classrooms once a month, they could substitute. If they want the power to control the schools contracts and more, they must be held accountable and understand the dynamics of a classroom!
part time job is right

Carthage, NY

#98 May 15, 2013
teachers and administrators should have to do their jobs for no pay. Who do they think they are. They shouldnt get any time off,they should have to walk to work whether in the freezing cold or not. If its hot and they driv a car the shouldnt be allowed to use the air condioning in their cars. Shame on them for having degrees and advanced degrees.What ever happens in the cities where teachers live They should be blamed and they should be blamed for everything that happens nationally and internationally. For the hungry and the homeless its the teachers fault. The reason why there is a lot of crime,its the teachers fault. Why are thos ethat are drug dealers and drug addicts? Its because of teachers,its their fault. WHY SOMEONE HASNT PUT THIS CREEP WHO POSTED PART TIME JOB OUT OF THEIR MISERY<ONLY GOD KNOWS! Very comical. Hey Hey from SAn JOSE why dont you check your pulse to see if your alive.
Truth

Herkimer, NY

#99 May 16, 2013
the truth is a clown wrote:
You are wrong on so many fronts it would take too long to respond to each point. Most importantly, you mistake a total disgust for a corrupt system with jealousy. It most certainly is not jealousy. I will also say that little by little the public education system is being exposed for what it is and adjustments will be made if thigs continue on the current course.

I hope that the new UCSD board members will bring a fresh point of view. One that has the taxpayers in mind and hopefully that is reflected in future contract negotiations. If you look at the situation nationwide there is a trend in the direction of exposing those things that are strangling the taxpayers. Public school teacher compensation and benefits are most certainly part of that and need to be scaled back.

Again, not jealousy. It's disgust with elected representatives that willingly let this happen and with beneficiaries who believe that this course is right and can be sustained.
Matt

Schaumburg, IL

#100 Aug 10, 2013
Anyone who teaches an Advanced Placement class knows that students come in for help hours before and after school. Every day. Essays like Free Responses and Document-Based Questions (DBQs) come home and take hours and hours to grade and comment on. Typical work week is 6:30-4:30 each day with about 1-2 hours at home four nights a week. Bonus? no. Easy? no. Usually thankless. Yes.

Stupid question. Professor workweek is far less demanding with a fraction of the students. Should a fireman get paid a day's wages if there are no fires?
Should MBAs get paid far more than their actual value? Is a CEO worth $1.7 MILLION an hour--even when on vacation?
NY Educators FAIL

United States

#101 Aug 10, 2013
Teachers in CNY?= NO time job. It's all about the money and spreading ignorant liberal agendas.

How do you think that feces hole became the most expensive, business repellant stink hole full of welfare shitters and eaters and public job welfare slobs in the country?

Enjoy the collapse! We will!
NY Educators FAIL

Gouverneur, NY

#102 Aug 11, 2013
NY Educators FAIL wrote:
Teachers in CNY?= NO time job. It's all about the money and spreading ignorant liberal agendas.
How do you think that feces hole became the most expensive, business repellant stink hole full of welfare shitters and eaters and public job welfare slobs in the country?
Enjoy the collapse! We will!
PS I am Cretin and by "we" above I mean Cliffy, Mammy, and me. We are currently locked in a three way face plant...ccccrrraaaapppwhole to clam to ccccrrraaaappppwhole. Mmm, mmm, good! Jealous Ooooticans!! Lol
Random

Edmonton, Canada

#103 Jul 6, 2017
"Ask your friend for some lessons, maybe their not as stupid as you are."

Maybe you need to ask that friend, especially since you can't spell "they're" correctly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's going on with Utica Notre Dame football ... 6 min Traumatic brain 64
We're is Frank Pelli community resume 7 min North Utica 6th ward 38
Fred Greer 11 min Tony 8
Take racist margret sanders statue down 15 min Tony 1
How can people fake entire relationships? 1 hr Hilltop 5
No Downtown hospital 1 hr SOI 116
Carissa Fuentes 1 hr Fewer 5
Not All Nazis Are Bad 1 hr NaziFucker 55
Let's tear down Martin Luther King's statue 5 hr DEATH2ALL2018 113
Stay Away from these Contractors 17 hr Bossy 40