teacher

Utica, NY

#44 May 11, 2013
what now wrote:
<quoted text>Now please do not lie!!!! Engineers and Architects do start about the same as teachers, even though teachers work 6hr/day, 10 months/ year. So they get paid more.
You do get paid for anything extra you do.$28/hr is not enough for you???? Be ashamed at your lies.
Half of all architects earn more than $73,340 and half earn less. The mean annual wage is $79,300 per year, and the mean hourly rate is $38.13.

http://architecture.about.com/cs/careers/f/ar...

new salary survey from the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) shows that engineering majors dominate the list of college degrees that pay the highest salaries to new college graduates. Of the ten majors with the highest starting salaries, six are in some branch of engineering, including computer engineering, in the no. 1 slot at $70,400, chemical engineering, no. 2 at $66,400 and

NOT EVEN CLOSE! A teacher's starting salary in CNY is about $32k a year with a master's degree.
High salaries are no More

Utica, NY

#45 May 11, 2013
Years ago, teachers made nothing compared to other college graduates. Their salaries were a notch above those on welfare.

Then unions got involved, and their salaries (between raises and step) went up between 6-7 percent annually. Rightly so, because they needed to be compensated for their degrees.

Although, today, many teachers working 10 months a year, make more money then engineers who work 12 months. Teachers will argue that they don't get paid during the summer. But I am comparing the total annual salary of other college graduates and they make significantly less than teachers make. Plus teachers have very nice retirement plan.

We've come full circle. Years ago, they made nothing. Now, they are well compensated for their work. Some young teachers have no clue about the salaries made 20 years ago and feel entitled to make 45,000 year for a ten month job right from the get go.

Bottom line is, you can argue back and forth on this and it does not matter what you think, things are changing.

Now with the new APPR and lack of funding, there will no longer be the 7 annual percent raises. Laws and regulations are in place that will prevent these salaries from rising, no matter what the unions do.

Therefore, if you are a teacher, you can justify your salaries,(and who can blame you), but the fact remains that you will not be making a lot of money for the 10 month job you have. Sorry about that, because I truly respect "most" teachers and they deserve to be highly compensated for their hard work. You won't be poor, but you will not make the salary that you might expect.
well said

Utica, NY

#46 May 11, 2013
the remaining rom those days re those that have been teachig at least 30 years or more. Those teachers startdout making 12 thousand dollars a year. Their first 20 years they really didntmake that much money. Once they hit that 20 year mark say in 2000 yes the pay began to go up. Now as you sai those steps will become frozen much more often somewhat like they d in utica. After the 15th year teachers will nt get a step until their 21st year,the next comes atthe26th year and the last step coming at the 31st year. What he general public doesnt realize is those that have been frozen for 5 years anda contract settlement with 3 zeros means that many do not get a raise for 8 years. That is not posible to make up. ranted those in that category are making the top dollar,but without a raise for 8 years that good salary is now so so. I think people have to become more creatve in bargaining for new contracts. Thngs such as No monetary raises but maybesome flex time in lieu of money. Possibly make the school day longer,and 4 day weeks so school districts can save on salaries for one day a week along with te hefty utiity bills? Just some suggestions nothing more. But something does have to be done. One other thing, we see more and more teachers who can retire,those that have the required age and years of service but choose not to retire. If something were to be able to be worked out so that those who meet retirement criteria retired,school districts would be able to hire three new teachers for every one teacher that retired. Something to think about.
Truth

Utica, NY

#47 May 11, 2013
[QUOTE who="teacher
"]<quoted text>
Half of all architects earn more than $73,340 and half earn less. The mean annual wage is $79,300 per year, and the mean hourly rate is $38.13.
new salary survey from the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) shows that engineering majors dominate the list of college degrees that pay the highest salaries to new college graduates. Of the ten majors with the highest starting salaries, six are in some branch of engineering, including computer engineering, in the no. 1 slot at $70,400, chemical engineering, no. 2 at $66,400 and
NOT EVEN CLOSE! A teacher's starting salary in CNY is about $32k a year with a master's degree.
[/QUOTE]

Are you a teacher? Really? Did you ever take a statistics class? You present this false arguement and you are charged with educating children? Wow.

This from your own source:

"The mean salary for a graduate with a Bachelor of Architecture degree, for example, has risen from $39,333 in 2008 to $41,012 in 2009. The mean salary for a graduate with a Master of Architecture degree has risen from $42,985 to $47,263.

Professional architects with 20 or more years of experience earn an average income of $100,723. Twenty percent of the experienced architects earn up to $142,200, according to the DesignIntelligence survey."

What that means is that it is the architects with 20+ years experience that bring up that NATIONWIDE average. So, comparing those rates with a teacher's sarting salary is apples and oranges. Compare what teachers with 20 years experience for valid and reasonable comparison. The results will be quite different than what you've quoted.

There are other factors to consider as well. How about the fact that your Google search returned nationwide results and not just New York? Any real comparison has to take What these professions earn in New York because New York teachers are paid more than most in the country because of their union influence and lobbying in the New York State legislature. Then, after considering that one needs to look at the total package including the retirement benefit. there is no contest. Public school teachers will make more in a lifetime than those with like education in the private sector.
teacher

Utica, NY

#48 May 11, 2013
Truth wrote:
[QUOTE who="teacher
"]<quoted text>
"

Are you a teacher? Really? Did you ever take a statistics class? You present this false arguement and you are charged with educating children? Wow.

"The mean salary for a graduate with a Bachelor of Architecture degree, for example, has risen from $39,333 in 2008 to $41,012 in 2009. The mean salary for a graduate with a Master of Architecture degree has risen from $42,985 to $47,263.

Professional architects with 20 or more years of experience earn an average income of $100,723. Twenty percent of the experienced architects earn up to $142,200, according to the DesignIntelligence survey."

What that means is that it is the architects with 20+ years experience that bring up that NATIONWIDE average. So, comparing those rates with a teacher's sarting salary is apples and oranges. Compare what teachers with 20 years experience for valid and reasonable comparison. The results will be quite different than what you've quoted.

There are other factors to consider as well. How about the fact that your Google search returned nationwide results and not just New York? Any real comparison has to take What these professions earn in New York because New York teachers are paid more than most in the country because of their union influence and lobbying in the New York State legislature. Then, after considering that one needs to look at the total package including the retirement benefit. there is no contest. Public school teachers will make more in a lifetime than those with like education in the private sector.
Really? Your NYS salary averages include NYC. Maybe you ought to follow your own advice. CNY teachers are paid LESS than the state average. I pay into my pension as well as into my future health insurance. Not suere where this rage of yours comes from but perhaps you should seek counseling...and a better paying job.
teacher

Utica, NY

#49 May 11, 2013
Truth wrote:
[QUOTE who="teacher
"]<quoted text>
"

In addition, I've been teaching for 15 years and make MUCH less than an architect with the same number of years of experience...to the tune of almost $40,000 less per year.
as a teacher

Utica, NY

#50 May 11, 2013
As a teacher, I agree to some degree that teachers have a very good "gig." You would never hear me complain. Yes, there are many requirements that have to be met to be a teacher, as with many other jobs. Just realize, that the vocal teachers complaining are not the majority of teachers. Teaching has it's benefits and it's downside, just like any other job. Though, I don't agree with teachers complaining, I also believe those who complain about teachers are/were perfectly capable of going through the necessary requirements to become one.
Truth

Utica, NY

#51 May 12, 2013
[QUOTE who="teacher
"]<quoted text>
In addition, I've been teaching for 15 years and make MUCH less than an architect with the same number of years of experience...to the tune of almost $40,000 less per year.[/QUOTE]

Any analysis has to satrt with like datasets. That menas apples and apples. I've seen no evidence of what you say about architects and do not believe it's true. In addition, in your previous post you say that we need to separate an upstate teacher from a NYC teacer. That proves my point about the flawed analysis and the numbers from the website you cited. You seem to only want to make thse distinctions when it benefits you.

Article in today's OD about local schools facing a "fiscal cliff". What they don't address is the fact that the number one driver of public school costs and the tax increases that go along with that are the teacher/administrator compensation. That includes retirement benefits.

Yes you do contribute to your pension but the amount you contribute is a small fraction of what it actually costs. The taxpayers bear the burden of that cost in trying economic times like we've seen since 2008.
i know better

Utica, NY

#52 May 12, 2013
hey what now wrote:
you friggin RETARD. Get your facts straight. Engineers and architects starting salaries are a lot higher than a starting teacher and way higher than you make and your I.Q. You stupid bastard if you dont like it do something about it! However teachers are compensated well after they have been teaching for 20 years or more.But again you bucky beaver bastard you should keep quiet so you dnt show your retarded mentality. If teachers get paid 28 dollars an hour for extras and their rate is more than that the.that is the complete opposite of others who get time and a half. Too hard to understand for you? Then get a friggin brain and maybe,just maybe you can leave that job flipping burgers you jealous bastard.
you must be very proud of yourself, what a nice way of talking and debating with other people. Did they teach you that in your school, college or perhaps your Master degree class?
Once again, the new engineers start less than$ 40,000 , I am talking about Utica, don't know about other places. I am comparing Utica teachers wiith Utica engineers.
Now Utica teacher,show us some class.
Teacher

Utica, NY

#53 May 12, 2013
http://m.nbcnews.com/business/highest-paid-ca...

I don't see teachers/educators on any list I can find, but do see careers that have comparable educational requirements. Please go back under your rock and stay there. Perhaps you need to find yourself something to do other than constantly slamming a group of people who work their asses off in order to teach other people's children. Most teachers enjoy what they do and truly make a difference in the lives of their students.
hey truth

Utica, NY

#54 May 12, 2013
you are nothing but a disgruntled little jealous dweeb with false comparisons. When someone debates you with the facts you cop out by complaining about how influential the loca and state teacher unions are. Well if thats the case so be it. Why arent you bashing the obama administration and everyting else happening that has been more detrimental to american life? Why? Because you are a miserable little person who has it out for teachers. You probably tried to be one but cant. Maybe you happen to be a pedifile? Whatever the case the situation is what it is and you cant do anything about it. So keep comparing your apples to oranges and keep sucking on the cucumber. Hey,want to get more aggrivated? Watch when the teachers wo receive 26 checks through the year get their summer money. Some will be getting 18k plus for the summer. Now suck on that.
looks like I know better

Utica, NY

#55 May 12, 2013
[QUOTE who="Teacher
"]http://m.nbcnews.com/bu siness/highest-paid-careers-am erica-today-859965
I don't see teachers/educators on any list I can find, but do see careers that have comparable educational requirements. Please go back under your rock and stay there. Perhaps you need to find yourself something to do other than constantly slamming a group of people who work their asses off in order to teach other people's children. Most teachers enjoy what they do and truly make a difference in the lives of their students.[/QUOTE]

Wow and you call yourself a teacher. Can you read and comprehend?
First off the list is about careers in America, not Utica.
Second off on the list I see Architectural and engineering managers,I was not talking about salary of your Superintendent either.
Thirs off you said I am samming a group of people who work their asses off.... honey you are just doing your job, not mine.
I am not slamming you or any other teacher , I am just saying that you get good money for what you do and stop complaining that you don't.
looks like I know better

Utica, NY

#56 May 12, 2013
Also you better work your ass off, I've seen many lazy teachers who do not much to help their students.
Teacher

Utica, NY

#57 May 12, 2013
looks like I know better wrote:
[QUOTE who="Teacher
"]http://m.nbcnews.com/bu siness/highest-paid-careers-am erica-today-859965
I don't see teachers/educators on any list I can find, but do see careers that have comparable educational requirements. Please go back under your rock and stay there. Perhaps you need to find yourself something to do other than constantly slamming a group of people who work their asses off in order to teach other people's children. Most teachers enjoy what they do and truly make a difference in the lives of their students. "

Wow and you call yourself a teacher. Can you read and comprehend?
First off the list is about careers in America, not Utica.
Second off on the list I see Architectural and engineering managers,I was not talking about salary of your Superintendent either.
Thirs off you said I am samming a group of people who work their asses off.... honey you are just doing your job, not mine.
I am not slamming you or any other teacher , I am just saying that you get good money for what you do and stop complaining that you don't.
You're changing the argument again. I love what I do and get paid for it. Too many people come on this forum to teacher bash and it's disgusting. I have the same if not more education than an engineer and they make twice as much money as I do. I was referring to a previous posting on the comparisons between teacher compensation and that of ofher professions.
Teacher

Utica, NY

#58 May 12, 2013
looks like I know better wrote:
Also you better work your ass off, I've seen many lazy teachers who do not much to help their students.
And I do work my ass off. My students' grades and test scores can prove it.
looks like I know better

Utica, NY

#59 May 12, 2013
[QUOTE who="Teacher
"]<quoted text>
I have the same if not more education than an engineer and they make twice as much money as I do.[/QUOTE]

They work twice as many hours as you do.
anon.

Utica, NY

#60 May 12, 2013
Truth

Utica, NY

#61 May 12, 2013
[QUOTE who="Teacher
"]<quoted text>
You're changing the argument again. I love what I do and get paid for it. Too many people come on this forum to teacher bash and it's disgusting. I have the same if not more education than an engineer and they make twice as much money as I do. I was referring to a previous posting on the comparisons between teacher compensation and that of ofher professions.[/QUOTE]

You confuse "teacher bashing" with being disgusted with a system that elevates public school teachers and adminsitrators to a special class that is protected at taxpayer expense. Once again, no one hates teachers, no one is jeleaous of teachers. Most people I know appreciate what teachers do. The good ones anyway. As woth any group there are going to be good and bad. In most professions though (especially in the private sector) mediocrity or worse are not tolerated the way they are in public education. Again, it's part of being a protected class.

Todays OD article titled "Are schools going broke?" tells a tale of what happens when that protected class, through their unions, dominate. It can't be sustained.

Take a look at this:
http://www.uticaod.com/news/x231950137/New-Ut...

It says in part:
"When the Utica Board of Education approved retiree health-care benefits for a large group of teachers 16 months ago, it had no idea what the added burden to taxpayers might be.

Now, officials do know ó and the price tag is staggering.

For its assets to keep up with its added retiree benefit obligations, Uticaís school district should be setting aside $14 million more per year than the $5 million it budgets for retiree health costs now, according to an accounting form obtained by the Observer-Dispatch under the Freedom of Information Law."

This at a a time when the greater economy was in a dip that was second only to the Great Depression.

Like I said - protected class paid for by taxpayers and facilitated by boards of education along with their union bought and paid for politicians in the NYS legislature.
anon.

Utica, NY

#62 May 12, 2013
Truth wrote:
[QUOTE who="Teacher
"]<quoted text>
You're changing the argument again. I love what I do and get paid for it. Too many people come on this forum to teacher bash and it's disgusting. I have the same if not more education than an engineer and they make twice as much money as I do. I was referring to a previous posting on the comparisons between teacher compensation and that of ofher professions. "

You confuse "teacher bashing" with being disgusted with a system that elevates public school teachers and adminsitrators to a special class that is protected at taxpayer expense. Once again, no one hates teachers, no one is jeleaous of teachers. Most people I know appreciate what teachers do. The good ones anyway. As woth any group there are going to be good and bad. In most professions though (especially in the private sector) mediocrity or worse are not tolerated the way they are in public education. Again, it's part of being a protected class.

Todays OD article titled "Are schools going broke?" tells a tale of what happens when that protected class, through their unions, dominate. It can't be sustained.

Take a look at this:
http://www.uticaod.com/news/x231950137/New-Ut...

It says in part:
"When the Utica Board of Education approved retiree health-care benefits for a large group of teachers 16 months ago, it had no idea what the added burden to taxpayers might be.

Now, officials do know ¬ó and the price tag is staggering.

For its assets to keep up with its added retiree benefit obligations, Utica’s school district should be setting aside $14 million more per year than the $5 million it budgets for retiree health costs now, according to an accounting form obtained by the Observer-Dispatch under the Freedom of Information Law."

This at a a time when the greater economy was in a dip that was second only to the Great Depression.

Like I said - protected class paid for by taxpayers and facilitated by boards of education along with their union bought and paid for politicians in the NYS legislature.
All was legally negotiated by the unions, the Super and the Board and approved by ALL involved. I have yet to see you post ANY complaints regarding the SUper or BOE. My claim of teacher bashing has yet to be disputed.
Hard worker

New Hartford, NY

#63 May 13, 2013
[QUOTE who="anon."]<quot ed text>My claim of teacher bashing has yet to be disputed.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I'll make it easy for you.
I dispute your claim.
There.

I like teachers, and appreciate the work they do and the important service they provide.

BUT, they are working inside a protective bubble. Very good pay, comparable to other professionals (nurses, for example), but while working only 60-75% of the number of hours. They also receive disproportionately good benefits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christmas shootings 11 min Bang 11
Time Warner 17 min thieves 15
Secret Latino Symbols Discovered 21 min Fantastic Artistry 1
Newport Golfcourse Going Out Of Business 26 min MV golfer 18
clifTON BEST PLACE TO PUMP TRANSGENDER KOK PLUS... 37 min livingcreature 2
why CANT THAT RASH FAT SLOB FINGERS PROVE IT LI... 41 min Large Legged Utican 7
Why Robert T Oliveira 45 min Large Legged Utican 14
Jill WKTV 1 hr Cornhill Nylon Ba... 48
Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:41 pm PST

Bleacher Report 9:41PM
Breaking Down Eagles' Game Plan vs. Giants
Bleacher Report12:04 AM
Jets' Week 17 Preview vs. Dolphins
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Buffalo Bills vs. New England Patriots: Complete Week 17 Preview for New England
Bleacher Report 5:04 AM
New York Jets vs. Miami Dolphins: Complete Week 17 Preview for Miami
NBC Sports 5:09 AM
Friday morning one-liners
NBC Sports 7:52 AM
Antrel Rolle knows finishing well no guarantee 2015 will be any better for Giants
Bleacher Report10:07 AM
Giants RB Williams Questionable for Week 17
NBC Sports10:35 AM
Vick talks future, wants to keep playing - NBC Sports
NBC Sports11:25 AM
Jets' Mangold, Harvin game-time decisions at Miami - NBC Sports
NBC Sports12:58 PM
William Hayes, Alec Ogletree draw fines after fight with Giants