Teachers - full time or part time job?

Posted in the Utica Forum

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of99
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Truth

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
May 10, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

wow wrote:
Get over it! Teachers work hard, and deserve every penny they get. They have also put MANY hours of schooling in to get certified, and must continue to do so or they will lose their certification. I mean seriously, itís getting really old hearing people constantly criticize everything about teachers... get a life... why donít you go criticize all the dirty government crooks, politicians, and donít forget all the sports players that make MILLIONS per year for playing a friggin sport... I mean really, itís old. Leave teachers alone.
Most everyone works hard don't they? Don't roofers work hard? How about nurses in a pediatric cancer ward? What about the gangs who landscape in the summer and shovel in the winter? What about all private sector workers who have been struggling since the economic downturn in 2008?

The point is that publci school teachers and administrators seem to be a special class that are protected from economic reality. They make more and more each year and then receive a retirement package that could never be offered in the private sector because the costs couldn't be sustained. The irony is that it is the private sector(taxpayers) who is paying for the teacher/adminsitrator retirements. The double whammy is that those retirement benefits are New York State tax exempt while a private sector workers 401k distributions are taxed.
teacher

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
May 10, 2013
 
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>Most everyone works hard don't they? Don't roofers work hard? How about nurses in a pediatric cancer ward? What about the gangs who landscape in the summer and shovel in the winter? What about all private sector workers who have been struggling since the economic downturn in 2008?

The point is that publci school teachers and administrators seem to be a special class that are protected from economic reality. They make more and more each year and then receive a retirement package that could never be offered in the private sector because the costs couldn't be sustained. The irony is that it is the private sector(taxpayers) who is paying for the teacher/adminsitrator retirements. The double whammy is that those retirement benefits are New York State tax exempt while a private sector workers 401k distributions are taxed.
Then why aren't you a teacher?
Hard worker

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
May 10, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

[QUOTE who="teacher
"]<quoted text>
Then why aren't you a teacher?[/QUOTE]

Because some of us have to work for a living. We need the nurses, doctors, engineers, road crews, etc... just as we need teachers.

Again, the simple point is that teachers have a disproportionately sweet deal compared with the rest of the work force. It would just be nice if they acknowledged that, instead of whining that they aren't paid enough yet, or that they are working really, really hard.

The defense offered by teachers and their defenders is "oh yeah, then you try it", or "if it's so good, then why don't you do it". Both are pretty lame debate tactics.

I'm not complaining about the benefits and pay received by teachers. Good for them. I AM, however, annoyed with how they (as a group) try to convince us that they are poor and overworked, and then campaign to get an even sweeter deal. That's offensive and insulting.
Truth

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
May 10, 2013
 
[QUOTE who="teacher
"]<quoted text>
Then why aren't you a teacher?[/QUOTE]

Always the same rhetoric when teachers and their supporters can't justify their point of view with facts. It's either "you hate teachers" or "teachers work hard" or "why didn't you become a teacher?"

Here's the scoop on those points:

No one hates teachers.

Most everyone works hard.

Everyone is different and chooses their own path in life.

And finally, your response is a smokescreen to hide the fact that there is no logical, reasonable explanation for why things are the wat they are.

Tell me why public school teachers and administrators are afforded such generous compensation while those in private sector business, who actually foot the lion's share of the cost, are subject to the greater economy. Why should public school teachers and administrators be immune?
teacher

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
May 10, 2013
 
Truth wrote:
[QUOTE who="teacher
"]<quoted text>
Then why aren't you a teacher?"

Always the same rhetoric when teachers and their supporters can't justify their point of view with facts. It's either "you hate teachers" or "teachers work hard" or "why didn't you become a teacher?"

Here's the scoop on those points:

No one hates teachers.

Most everyone works hard.

Everyone is different and chooses their own path in life.

And finally, your response is a smokescreen to hide the fact that there is no logical, reasonable explanation for why things are the wat they are.

Tell me why public school teachers and administrators are afforded such generous compensation while those in private sector business, who actually foot the lion's share of the cost, are subject to the greater economy. Why should public school teachers and administrators be immune?
Jealous much? Teachers are also affected by the current economic climate. Some of us haven't had raises in a number of years and when we do, it isn't equal to the cola that other professions both private and public employees receive. There are several teachers I personally know with multiple Master's degrees and PhD's. Why would you begrudge the time and effort these people spend on furthering their own educations in order to afford your children the best education they can give them? Teachers have somehow become the scapegoats for all of the ills in society. I think your anger and hatred is truly misplaced.
Hard worker

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
May 10, 2013
 
"Teacher" ... you're ignoring the question "Truth" asks.

Why should teachers get a special deal, above and beyond the normal work force?

There's no jealousy, anger, or hatred in that question.
teacher

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
May 10, 2013
 
Hard worker wrote:
"Teacher" ... you're ignoring the question "Truth" asks.

Why should teachers get a special deal, above and beyond the normal work force?

There's no jealousy, anger, or hatred in that question.
I don't see a special deal...I pay my health insurance ($700/mo.), pay into my pension, as well as pay into a separate private retirement account. I have two Master's degrees AND two jobs beyond my teaching. I won't be able to retire until I'm in my 60's. What do you think my salary should be? I currently bring home about $45k after all is said and done.
get lost

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
May 10, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

food banks and NFPs wrote:
So what if a lot of public sector employees work more hours than teachers while earning less. They are mere drones compared to teachers and don't deserve to make what a teacher makes.
You are a little cocky, aren't you . Police officers and Firefighters should be paid way more than some ignorant, cocky teacher as yourself.
You can wipe your butt with your diploma, you didn't learn any common sense in your school.
Hard worker

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
May 10, 2013
 

Judged:

1

teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you think my salary should be? I currently bring home about $45k after all is said and done.
I'll be happy to engage on this, so long as we're careful with our math. Let's confine the discussion to your salary. How much does the district pay you each year, before all the deductions? That will make comparisons and discussions much easier.

So... what's your pay for the 168, 6-hour days?
Truth

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
May 10, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

[QUOTE who="teacher
"]<quoted text>
Jealous much? Teachers are also affected by the current economic climate. Some of us haven't had raises in a number of years and when we do, it isn't equal to the cola that other professions both private and public employees receive. There are several teachers I personally know with multiple Master's degrees and PhD's. Why would you begrudge the time and effort these people spend on furthering their own educations in order to afford your children the best education they can give them? Teachers have somehow become the scapegoats for all of the ills in society. I think your anger and hatred is truly misplaced.[/QUOTE]

I forgot that one.
"You must be jealous"
Just more of the same type rhetoric I was talking about previously. If you can't explain the ridiculously extravagant compensation then obscure that with responses like yours right?

I am not jealous. I am disgusted. I am disgusted that public school teachers and adminstrators have the entitlement attitude they do and disguisted with elected representatives who take boatloads of money from the teachers unions as payment for enabling this mess.

As far as raises let me ask this? Did you during that time still receive step increases?

You are part of what has put New York State in the current financial mess that it is in. You need to be honest with yourself about that.
Cram

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
May 10, 2013
 
My wife earns 90+K/year and sneaks home at 2PM. Lets not forget all the sick and snow days. Never does any extra work at home. Raises every year regardless of the economy. Not bad for a second income. Oh and great health benefits for the whole family. Life is sweet.
the truth is a fruit

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
May 10, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

you are also ignorant. Many teachers do not receive an automatic step increase because because each year they are not automatic for everyone. You seem to do a great deal of research do to your low life boring lifestyle. Maybe you have all this time on your hands because you depend on the government to pay your familys way in life. You speak of tax payers fitting the bill for teaches? Teachers pay taxes as much as anyone else. Your entire arguement is ridiculous because you compare apples to oranges. Start comparing the amount of college REQUIRED to do particular jobs and the amount of paid professional experience with which you are comparing. You have too much time on your hands my fruitcake friend. I guess you must have gotten your lunch money taken from you when you were but a dweeby little nerd. At ay rate Ill say it like others have,then go to school andbecome a teacher. Its not a cop out. Its fact and its the true answer to yours and anyone else who is jealous ofteachers. No cop out,you just dont have a real answer to come back with because the truth hurts.
Hard worker

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
May 11, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Hard worker wrote:
<quoted text>So... what's your pay for the 168, six-hour days?
I figured it was easier to look this up than to wait for somebody who doesn't want this known. According to this page...

http://www.teacherportal.com/teacher-salaries...

NY teachers have (on average) the second highest starting salary of any state ($44,370), and the highest salary in the union at the 10 year point ($72,708). That works out almost perfectly to a 5% raise every single year.

It's important to also remember that these raises are based on union rules, and have nothing to do with whether or not the teacher is fantastic or mediocre at their job.
one who knows

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
May 11, 2013
 
[QUOTE who="teacher
"]<quoted text>
90 % of teachers I know also have summer employment, whether it be in retail or in another position within the field of education (summer school).[/QUOTE]Which means they make MORE money in addition to their over paid teacher's salary!!!! Isn't this also knows as GREED!
The Genius

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
May 11, 2013
 
I love My Cadillac Pension and Jackpot Salary!!! So hey buddy! Keep working your ass off for Peanuts?
Not uncomfortable

Holland Patent, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
May 11, 2013
 
one who knows wrote:
<quoted text>Which means they make MORE money in addition to their over paid teacher's salary!!!! Isn't this also knows as GREED!
If you're kid was'nt so stupid there would be no need for summer school in turn they would not be able to work it.
Truth

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
May 11, 2013
 
the truth is a fruit wrote:
you are also ignorant. Many teachers do not receive an automatic step increase because because each year they are not automatic for everyone. You seem to do a great deal of research do to your low life boring lifestyle. Maybe you have all this time on your hands because you depend on the government to pay your familys way in life. You speak of tax payers fitting the bill for teaches? Teachers pay taxes as much as anyone else. Your entire arguement is ridiculous because you compare apples to oranges. Start comparing the amount of college REQUIRED to do particular jobs and the amount of paid professional experience with which you are comparing. You have too much time on your hands my fruitcake friend. I guess you must have gotten your lunch money taken from you when you were but a dweeby little nerd. At ay rate Ill say it like others have,then go to school andbecome a teacher. Its not a cop out. Its fact and its the true answer to yours and anyone else who is jealous ofteachers. No cop out,you just dont have a real answer to come back with because the truth hurts.
Okay let's compare a teacher's compensation with that of an architect or engineer in the private sector. Educational requirements are similar. Continuing education requirements too. What you'll find is that overall for this area the teachers earn more and receive a retirement package that no one in the private sector could ever afford to provide. You see in the private sector businesses aren't able to just reach into the pockets of taxpayers when the economy tumbles or when the cost of living goes up.

The name calling is another sure sign that a) someone is very ignorant or b) does not have the facts to support their point of view. I'm not saying you are the former but you are definitely the latter.

I said it before. I am not jealous. I am disgusted.
the truth is

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41
May 11, 2013
 
an architect or a enginer starts off at approximately twice the salary a starting teacher does. When an architect or engineer works extra they get paid time and a half. Teachers get paid less than their going rate for aything they do that is considered extra. Do teachers get paid for extras? yes,but that doesnt even equal their straight time rate let alone a time and a half rate. Again this is FACT.You like facts. There you have it. What is it based on. The teachers contract. Most other professions receive time and a half for anything that is over and beyond their regular hours and duties. This whole thing can go on and on. Im sure there is no one or anything that can be said to convince you otherwise,ad I guess the same goes for me. Their are sacrifices and perks for each and every employment faction. I think the most intelligent thing to do is agree to disagree.Most professions that have been discussed are needed, noble professions not respected as they once were. With that being said good luck to you and everything you do.
what now

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#42
May 11, 2013
 
the truth is wrote:
an architect or a enginer starts off at approximately twice the salary a starting teacher does. When an architect or engineer works extra they get paid time and a half. Teachers get paid less than their going rate for aything they do that is considered extra. Do teachers get paid for extras? yes,but that doesnt even equal their straight time rate let alone a time and a half rate. Again this is FACT.You like facts. There you have it. What is it based on. The teachers contract. Most other professions receive time and a half for anything that is over and beyond their regular hours and duties. This whole thing can go on and on. Im sure there is no one or anything that can be said to convince you otherwise,ad I guess the same goes for me. Their are sacrifices and perks for each and every employment faction. I think
the most intelligent thing to do is agree to disagree.Most professions that have been discussed are needed, noble professions not respected as they once were. With that being said good luck to you and everything you do.
Now please do not lie!!!! Engineers and Architects do start about the same as teachers, even though teachers work 6hr/day, 10 months/ year. So they get paid more.
You do get paid for anything extra you do.$28/hr is not enough for you???? Be ashamed at your lies.
hey what now

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43
May 11, 2013
 
you friggin RETARD. Get your facts straight. Engineers and architects starting salaries are a lot higher than a starting teacher and way higher than you make and your I.Q. You stupid bastard if you dont like it do something about it! However teachers are compensated well after they have been teaching for 20 years or more.But again you bucky beaver bastard you should keep quiet so you dnt show your retarded mentality. If teachers get paid 28 dollars an hour for extras and their rate is more than that the.that is the complete opposite of others who get time and a half. Too hard to understand for you? Then get a friggin brain and maybe,just maybe you can leave that job flipping burgers you jealous bastard.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of99
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

198 Users are viewing the Utica Forum right now

Search the Utica Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Robert T Oliveira 5 min BobbyO1967 25
Well Im Off 6 min Zoos and Riggies 17
RCIL's Newest Addition Executive Director AKA T... 10 min Sunny Side Up 226
Never happy 13 min Monica 5
RCIL at Saranac 14 min Sunny Side Up 10
Cow Bangers at the BMaker expo 17 min Zoos and Riggies 6
Bobby O - Hero of Utica 19 min Zoos and Riggies 21
Boilermaker 37 min Zoos and Riggies 64
•••
•••
•••
Utica Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Utica Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••