Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

A friend of mine recently took a LOT of grief for pointing out that teachers in Rome work about 1,100 hours in a year. By contract, it is 186 days, at about 6 hours a day. Even if we pretend that teachers average out to 9 hours a day (quite a stretch), that's still less than 1,700 hours in a year. A normal job is 2,000 hours a year.

According to governemtn definitions, this make it a part-time job. I can point to web pages that confirm this definition.
WOW

Camillus, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Hard worker wrote:
A friend of mine recently took a LOT of grief for pointing out that teachers in Rome work about 1,100 hours in a year. By contract, it is 186 days, at about 6 hours a day. Even if we pretend that teachers average out to 9 hours a day (quite a stretch), that's still less than 1,700 hours in a year. A normal job is 2,000 hours a year.
According to governemtn definitions, this make it a part-time job. I can point to web pages that confirm this definition.
Please post what school you attended so it can be destroyed.

What's governemtn ?

This make it, ROLOLLMAO.

Ask your friend for some lessons, maybe their not as stupid as you are.
Obamacare

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

According to Obamacare policy, an employee working 30 hours or more a week is considered "full-time". According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, any employee who works less than 36 hours per week is considered "part-time".

Figures lie and liars figure.
Hard worker

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

WOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask your friend for some lessons, maybe their not as stupid as you are.
Really?

You get your panties in a knot because of a typo, in the exact same post that you use the wrong word? Instead of "their", you should have had "they're". Lighten up. My error shows that I was a poor typist. Yours shows you to be ignorant. Which is worse?
Uncle Sam says

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, "Full time is 35 hours or more per week; part time is 1 to 34 hours per week".

http://www.bls.gov/cps/lfcharacteristics.htm#...

I think the point the original poster was trying to make is that no matter how you refer to it, teachers don't work nearly the same number of hours as a normal working stiff.
Hard worker

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

food banks and NFPs wrote:
Are you suggesting that teachers should be paid less then?
No. I think they are very well compensated for a difficult and important job, and I'm okay with that. With that being said though, it is NOT a full-time job.

There are many important and difficult jobs which require a lot of training, demand more hours of effort in a year, and which pay less. When you factor in the extraordinary benefits and the insane job security that tenure provides, it's a pretty sweet deal.

And again... I'm okay with that. It would just be nice if they also acknowledged that and quit bitching about being over worked and under paid. Neither is true.
FWIW

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

The salaries for every teacher and administrator in NY are available on-line, courtesy of a newspaper in Rochester.

http://rocdocs.democratandchronicle.com/datab...
Truth

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

I posted this in a previous thread.

I went to the UCSD website and counted the days that school is in session. I included all in service days. I come up with 183 days.
http://www.uticacsd.org/calendars/District-Ca ...
Feel free to do your own count.
I am almost certain that teachers are allowed an amount of sick/personal time during the school year but for this exercise let's not count that.

In the private sector the standard work year is 260 days (2080 hours). That's 52 weeks x 5 days x 8 hours. Let's be very generous and say that the average employee gets 4 weeks vacation time. That's much higher than the actual average but let's use it anyway. That's 20(4 x 5) days so now we are down to 240 days. Now let's subtract for federal holidays. Not all private sector employees get all of the federal holidays off but let's count them all anyway.
New Year's Day
MLK Birthday
President's Day
Memorial Day
4th of July
Labor Day
Veteran's Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas
Let's add a floater to make it an even 10 days. That means we are down to 230 days. Now let's say that the average private sector employee gets 2 weeks sick/personal time. Again that is likely much higher than the real number. Subtract another 10 days but let's use it anyway. Final count: 220 days.

What that means is that when you compare the work year of the average employee in any other field, even when you inflate the averages and don't count all the days teachers get off, the average worker works more than 5 weeks more a year than a teacher does. This isn't opinion. It's math.
teacher

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Hard worker wrote:
<quoted text>No. I think they are very well compensated for a difficult and important job, and I'm okay with that. With that being said though, it is NOT a full-time job.

There are many important and difficult jobs which require a lot of training, demand more hours of effort in a year, and which pay less. When you factor in the extraordinary benefits and the insane job security that tenure provides, it's a pretty sweet deal.

And again... I'm okay with that. It would just be nice if they also acknowledged that and quit bitching about being over worked and under paid. Neither is true.
Tenure is merely 'due process'. It does not protect you from being fired at all....

http://teaching.about.com/od/pd/a/Teacher-Ten...
teacher

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Truth wrote:
I posted this in a previous thread.

I went to the UCSD website and counted the days that school is in session. I included all in service days. I come up with 183 days.
http://www.uticacsd.org/calendars/District-Ca ...
Feel free to do your own count.
I am almost certain that teachers are allowed an amount of sick/personal time during the school year but for this exercise let's not count that.

In the private sector the standard work year is 260 days (2080 hours). That's 52 weeks x 5 days x 8 hours. Let's be very generous and say that the average employee gets 4 weeks vacation time. That's much higher than the actual average but let's use it anyway. That's 20(4 x 5) days so now we are down to 240 days. Now let's subtract for federal holidays. Not all private sector employees get all of the federal holidays off but let's count them all anyway.
New Year's Day
MLK Birthday
President's Day
Memorial Day
4th of July
Labor Day
Veteran's Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas
Let's add a floater to make it an even 10 days. That means we are down to 230 days. Now let's say that the average private sector employee gets 2 weeks sick/personal time. Again that is likely much higher than the real number. Subtract another 10 days but let's use it anyway. Final count: 220 days.

What that means is that when you compare the work year of the average employee in any other field, even when you inflate the averages and don't count all the days teachers get off, the average worker works more than 5 weeks more a year than a teacher does. This isn't opinion. It's math.
90 % of teachers I know also have summer employment, whether it be in retail or in another position within the field of education (summer school).
Hard worker

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

[QUOTE who="teacher
"]<quoted text>
Tenure is merely 'due process'.
[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you put that term in quotes. Quoting from the same web page you pointed to, tenure makes it...

"... difficult to get rid of a teacher who has been proven to be ineffective in the classroom. Due process is a very tedious, difficult, and expensive process for all involved. Districts have tight budgets and the costs of a due process hearing can cripple a districtís budget.[...] teachers who have received tenure status could lack the motivation they once had to perform well in the classroom. Teachers can be complacent because they know it is far less likely to lose their job."

The net effect is that this "due process" makes it almost impossible to fire a teacher.
FWIW

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Truth wrote:
(...) even when you inflate the averages and don't count all the days teachers get off, the average worker works more than 5 weeks more a year than a teacher does. This isn't opinion. It's math.
You were very generous in your analysis. When you then factor in that a "work" day for a teacher is only 6 hours long, the difference is even greater.

Now, while it's true that there are off-hours spent grading papers and coming up with lesson plans, it still doesn't come ANYWHERE near what a normal job expects and requires in terms of effort.

Another common refrain is that we're not counting the hours spent coaching teams, serving as counselors for activities, etc. Maybe true... but teachers are also PAID for all those extra activities.
teacher

Suffield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Hard worker wrote:
[QUOTE who="teacher
"]<quoted text>
Tenure is merely 'due process'.
"

I'm glad you put that term in quotes. Quoting from the same web page you pointed to, tenure makes it...

"... difficult to get rid of a teacher who has been proven to be ineffective in the classroom. Due process is a very tedious, difficult, and expensive process for all involved. Districts have tight budgets and the costs of a due process hearing can cripple a district’s budget.[...] teachers who have received tenure status could lack the motivation they once had to perform well in the classroom. Teachers can be complacent because they know it is far less likely to lose their job."

The net effect is that this "due process" makes it almost impossible to fire a teacher.
It also protects teachers from vindictive administrators who often abuse their authority.
cindy

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

I think its part time, I know they go to school for alot of years but besides short days, all the vacation they get with their personal days, plus 2 months off during summer which they can actually get summer employment which many do i get mad when that is all they care about is getting their automatic annual raise. Yes they do believe its automatic in our school.
Not uncomfortable

Holland Patent, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

You know what people they are the educators for our children so our children can be productive in life yes there are a few bad apples out there but most are great at what they do and the way I look at it if you bitching about what someone makes or how much time they work a week then you are a bit envious at what they do so get off you're a$$ and get a masters and go teach plain and simple.
Rock

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

It's part time.

Name another job that gets July/August off, all the major Holidays, winter break, spring break, Xmas break, 5 snow days last week or more of June off, First week of September off.

Plus the school day is less than 6 hours long.
sally

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

It's not a part time job or a full time job. Teachers are considered 10 month employees. It's a whole different classification than you are looking at.

And yes- many have second jobs, summer jobs, or do other things on the side- just like many other people.
Educated

Ravena, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Become a teacher losers. Seriously you are all clueless. Lazy jealous. Attack the truly overpaid professions. When you do what we do you can talk
wow

Whitesboro, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Get over it! Teachers work hard, and deserve every penny they get. They have also put MANY hours of schooling in to get certified, and must continue to do so or they will lose their certification. I mean seriously, itís getting really old hearing people constantly criticize everything about teachers... get a life... why donít you go criticize all the dirty government crooks, politicians, and donít forget all the sports players that make MILLIONS per year for playing a friggin sport... I mean really, itís old. Leave teachers alone.
Truth

Utica, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

[QUOTE who="teacher
"]<quoted text>
90 % of teachers I know also have summer employment, whether it be in retail or in another position within the field of education (summer school).[/QUOTE]

So what?

The compensation they receive for any summer employment is above and beyond the yearly salary they receive in teaching for the part of the year they teach.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of99
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

252 Users are viewing the Utica Forum right now

Search the Utica Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Google Fun With Robert T Oliveira 9 min BobbyO1967 7
Is This The Same Matthew Gaetano That Is Affili... 11 min niceguy 11
Millions for AUD??? See no work being done. 22 min large marge 52
pizza boys closing 23 min calzone 10
Well Im Off 25 min Pathetic 30
Esche wins AHL award!!!!!! 27 min large marge 41
Fat asses in boilermaker 35 min rank 30
2014 Boilermaker may be cancelled ? 1 hr TomLindseys Broken Fath 38
Boilermaker 2 hr Thanks Google Girl 80