Neil Diamond vs. Neil Young Who had more of an impact on music?

Posted in the Utica Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cleveland Rocks

Cold Brook, NY

#1 Feb 3, 2013
Holly holy down by the river.
george jones

Utica, NY

#2 Feb 4, 2013
Easy to answer if you ever went to a neil young concert and he didnt show.
Podz

Clinton, NY

#3 Feb 4, 2013
I think you gotta give the nod to Young. Bye Bye Miss Anerican Pie is a all time classic.
dummypants

United States

#4 Feb 4, 2013
Neil Young had a tremendous influence on almost every musician that came after him and his music will be studied, interpreted, performed and re-arranged until the end of time.

Neil Diamond wrote a few songs that people in their 70's like to sing along with.
dummypants

United States

#5 Feb 4, 2013
Podz wrote:
I think you gotta give the nod to Young. Bye Bye Miss Anerican Pie is a all time classic.
??????
ummm

Utica, NY

#6 Feb 4, 2013
Both did great stuff but young had more if a influence
george jones

Utica, NY

#7 Feb 4, 2013
dummypants wrote:
<quoted text>
??????
Stoners have a different memory stream.
East Utican

Little Falls, NY

#8 Feb 4, 2013
Omg Really!!! Who cares They both suck
Music Lover

Utica, NY

#9 Feb 4, 2013
East Utican wrote:
Omg Really!!! Who cares They both suck
You must be a rap fan or country music fan. Doesn't matter because both of those genres suck.
hap

Dracut, MA

#10 Feb 4, 2013
Loved blowing in the wind by young
But when diamond sang touch of grey i had to say he was better
Tom

Austin, TX

#11 Feb 4, 2013
Irrefutably it is Neil Young- look at the artists today that idolize him and were influenced by him: Foo F's, Vedder/PJ, Metallica + hundreds others. No one in the last 50 years has influenced like Neil, only exception: Bob Dylan, who influenced about everyone including Neil.
anonymous

Richmond, VA

#13 Mar 22, 2013
dummypants wrote:
Neil Young had a tremendous influence on almost every musician that came after him and his music will be studied, interpreted, performed and re-arranged until the end of time.
Neil Diamond wrote a few songs that people in their 70's like to sing along with.
You obviously are inempt, but it's ok I'm here to help. young had a remarkable influence absolutely, but was he one of the most successful and high-billing live acts of ALL TIME. "Neil Diamond wrote a few songs that people in their 70's like to sing along with" You obviously know very little about Diamond and his popularity throughout hsi career. Neil Young was amazing but he never EVER packed in stadiums like Diamond did on a regular basis. The two shouldn't even be compared they were ocmpletely different styles of music and playing. Appreciate eahc in their own right and stop comparing people.

But Diamond wins :-p
stoner

Utica, NY

#14 Mar 22, 2013
Podz wrote:
That was donny.........osmond.
bobby soxer

Utica, NY

#15 Mar 22, 2013
Neil Sedaka beats both.
Magode1957

Calgary, Canada

#17 Sep 10, 2013
A true fact, Neil Young has never sold as many albums as Neil Diamond... and never will. Only Barbara Streisand and Elton John have. I have never seen Neil Young successfully write a movie sound track... Neil Diamond successfully wrote two... Jonathan Livingston Seagull and The Jazz Singer. I have never heard a true story of Neil Young buying houses for the poor... See just what Neil Diamond did for the survivors in Haiti in their worst of times. I have never seen Neil Young sell out as many stadiums around the world, many 60,000 plus, even at this time of both of their careers. The main difference between the two is that Neil Diamond can sing... and sing he still does.
Fat Tony Salerno

Rochester, NY

#19 Sep 10, 2013
george jones wrote:
Easy to answer if you ever went to a neil young concert and he didnt show.
I know what you mean, Jonesie. I went to the Neil Young concert down at the Aud years ago,'72 or '73 I think it was. He was about two hours late for his set. Luckily his opening act, the DiFranco Family, were real troopers and played extra long to make up the difference. That was pretty cool.
Whiskey

Portland, OR

#20 Nov 30, 2013
Podz wrote:
That was Don McClain.
leary

Utica, NY

#21 Dec 1, 2013
Whiskey wrote:
<quoted text>
That was Don McClain.
Didn't he pitch for the Tigers?
Podz

Clinton, NY

#22 Dec 1, 2013
Crosby Nash young and stills are probably the most underrated act ever.
My Generation

Utica, NY

#23 Dec 1, 2013
Good Lord, Where do I begin? It's Denny McLain, a 30 game winner for the Tigers, Don McLean, American Pie. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. As for the argument-2 different genres and 2 distinct geniuses. Young underrated as a singer; made some great albums with Buffalo Springfield and Crazy Horse before most people even knew who he was. Solo work is outstanding. Eccentric to say the least. Diamond is underrated as a writer; he penned songs for the Monkees along with some of his very early work-Solitary Man, Sunday Sun. Acting talent as well (see Jazz Singer) Along with that one of his best songs, "America". Can't compare the two, all they share is a first name.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Utica area growing economy 9 min Genius 13
ND Warmack suspended for grades but....... 40 min lol 20
President Absent at NYPD Funeral 41 min John 8
Serious car accident in Utica 1 hr wow 41
Matt Sullivan out of GAIF 1 hr Joe 3
Jill WKTV 1 hr Katie Crock 49
How Small Is Utica 1 hr Genius 12
Why Robert T Oliveira 5 hr Large Boned Utican 23
East Utica in the 70's and 80's/ what do you re... (Jan '10) 9 hr Little Johnny 383
Utica Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Utica People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Utica News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Utica

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:49 pm PST

Bleacher Report 1:49PM