no cuts-make two teams

no cuts-make two teams

Posted in the Utica Forum

let them play

Whitesboro, NY

#1 Mar 19, 2014
Cutting reduces the talent pool

As the mother of fraternal triplets, I know that children, even those born a minute apart, mature at differing rates.

The New England sea-side town where I grew up wins titles in boy's and girl's soccer year after year. A large part of the town's success is derived from the fact it has a no-cut policy. Some of its best players were not "stars" when they were eleven or twelve. Because they were not discouraged from continuing to play by being cut, they were still playing soccer when they reached high school, where they blossomed into varsity players. Thus, cutting kids from sports teams is like cutting a bud off a tree just because it hasn't bloomed as early as the rest (hence the phrase "late bloomer").

This is especially true given the limited opportunity of coaches or whoever is doing the cutting to truly evaluate the potential of every athlete during tryouts. Coaches and other adults cannot predict with any degree of certainty after evaluating kids during one, two, three or even five-days of tryouts that a particular child will or will not succeed at any sport they are motivated to play.

A teacher wouldn't give up on a child who is getting poor grades and say she was only going to spend her time teaching the ones she thought had the potential to go on to college. Childhood is time to give all children a chance to grow and develop, not a time to stunt their athletic growth prematurely.

Tom

Utica, NY

#2 Mar 19, 2014
I can understand your concerns but the good thing is for around this area there are also outside of school teams that individuals can participate on for mostly all sports. Though I do hate to see kids that get cut now maybe if they do some outside of school activity that would help them with their skill level the next year they would be able to make the team. I do agree the time frame for cutting kids is usually short but in many cases the coaches already know the child, maybe have watched them play an outside league, maybe gym class, etc and I have seen that good individuals get cut but the more exposure the better the player. To not cut a team that is definately way to large would also be tragic for children that are looking to play in college and may have opportunities for a scholarship. Keep looking for teams for them to better their skills.
i already know

Whitesboro, NY

#3 Mar 19, 2014
who made it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Utica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Green Street, Utica, NY 10 min bill 6
Anyone Remember White Acres/ Black Cherry Hollo... (Aug '10) 21 min marsha_strong 15
Wedding Venues 41 min kuyahoora 12
Last 3 Letters of a word into 3 new words. (Dec '09) 1 hr Having Fun 2,037
Bogus new jobs with nano tech 2 hr nanito 140
What does being "SUCCESSFUL" in Life mean to YOU? 3 hr Greedy Ex Wives Club 6
RCIL's Newest Addition Executive Director AKA T... (Apr '14) 3 hr Anotheronebitesth... 357
Jill Reale of WKTV (Jan '09) 4 hr huh 248
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Utica Mortgages